Connect with us

News

Bandits kill FIRS boss, abduct 3 others in Niger attack

Published

on

The Coordinator, Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) in charge of Zamfara, Sokoto and Kebbi states, Alhaji Muhammad Kudu Adamu, was reportedly killed by bandits on Sunday night at Saminaka community, along Lapai-Lambata Road in Niger State.

A friend of the deceased, Dr Zubairu Ibrahim, told newsmen that he was returning from Lafiagi, his hometown in Kwara State, where he had gone to greet his relations who just returned from the pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia.

He said Adamu and three other occupants in the vehicle ran into the bandits who shot indiscriminately in their direction.

Two tankers loaded with Premium Motor Spirit and parked by the roadside were also hit by bullets and engulfed in fire.

Saminaka is a busy community along Lambata-Bida Road where dozens of tankers and heavy articulated drivers and other travellers park to rest.

When contacted, the Niger State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Wasiu Abiodun, confirmed the attack and said three persons were kidnapped while two tankers caught fire.

He said the attack occurred around 10:30pm on Sunday.

Abiodun said the bandits invaded a restaurant in Saminaka and abducted its owner, Zainab Usman, and two others.

Advertisement

The Chief Imam of Saminaka, Alhaji Umaru Mohammed, told newsmen on the telephone that the bandits chased a woman into the Mosque during Quranic teaching and abducted her alongside the deputy chief imam.

He said, “When they wanted to shoot her in the Mosque, the deputy chief imam started pleading with them and one of them said he should also be taken along. Luckily, they (bandits) entered a shop opposite the Mosque where they sell mobile phones and started packing phones. It was in that process that the deputy chief imam escaped but they went away with the restaurant owner and two of her workers.”

SEE ALSO:  Cubana Chief Priest pleads Not Guilty, granted ₦10m bail

Mohammed said the restaurant had been attacked twice in two years, adding that a boy, Mohammad, was also hit by a bullet in his shoulder and was taken to a hospital.

He told our correspondent that the vehicle in which the FIRS official was travelling was also hit by a stray bullet but the driver of the vehicle was able to escape.

A community leader, who pleaded anonymity, lamented that the area which extends from Old Gawu to Yaba in Abaji Area Council had been very dangerous due to mountains and a thick forest that served as shelters for criminals.

“Sometimes, they do send their informants to communities to work as labourers who study the environment and get back to them before they attack. The Abaji Area Council has posed a serious threat to our communities.

“They have kidnapped many people in our area. A few weeks ago, they invaded Rafin-Daji village and kidnapped 15 farmers including four women on their farms. One of the tractor drivers was killed and one of the two tractors with which they were working was set ablaze. They were released after collecting N3 million for each person as ransom.

“We also spent N400, 000 in buying bags of rice, wraps of Indian hemp, cartons of noodles, packs of cigarettes and other hard drugs that they demanded. The victims spent about two months before they were released.

Advertisement

“Also recently, six people were kidnapped in a village very close to us. They were released after the payment of ransom. The village head that was among the victims had his legs and hands broken before they released them,” the leader added.

SEE ALSO:  Kogi attack: We need govt, security assistance to return home – Victims cry out

Residents in the area decried the absence of security operatives even in the face of continuous attacks and kidnapping.

One of the residents who spoke in confidence said, “There are no armed security personnel in our area. There are policemen but you won’t see them with guns. The attacks were beyond the strength of our vigilantes.”

Advertisements
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Abuja British School shuts down over bullying, assault of female student

Published

on

Abuja British School shuts down over bullying, assault of female student
• Lead British International School
The management of Lead British International School, Abuja, has shut down the institution over the bullying incident that went viral on social media.

An X user, @mooyeeeeeee, posted two videos where the victim she identified as Maryam Hassan was repeatedly slapped by another female student. Brithe

The video generated thousands of comments by netizens who called on the school authorities to investigate the matter.

At a meeting on Tuesday, the school authorities announced a 3-day closure to enable them probe deeply into the matter.

A top member of staff said the decision to shut down the school temporarily was in the interest of all parties involved.

Earlier reports said tempers flared at the meeting when a parent walked up to the student who bullied her colleague and gave her a slap.

The student, who has been severely criticised,  was seen walking into the premises accompanied by elderly males.

A lady identified as one of the parents walked up to the student, asking her, “She is proud of what she did. You are proud of what you did! You are proud right? Someone’s child; innocent child, you beat her, did you give birth to her? I am asking you, did you give birth to her?”

Advertisement

The student was trying to walk away so as to avoid confrontation, but the angry parent shoved her, saying, “I’m asking you: did you give birth to her?” The student muttered some incoherent words and the angry parent responded with a slap, before other elderly person around moved in to douse tension.

The Lead British International School had earlier said it has launched investigation into the matter.

SEE ALSO:  Nigeria a war front, disgrace to the world — TY Danjuma

In a statement issued earlier on Monday, it said the counselling unit of the school is helping the victimised student overcome the emotional and psychological impact.

The statement read, “We are committed to providing a safe and supportive learning environment for all our students. Hence, upon learning of the incident, we initiated the process of reaching out to the victim and family with a view to providing support, including access to counselling services to help them cope with the emotional and psychological impact of the incident.

“Additionally, we will be working with the perpetrators and their families, offering counselling and disciplinary measures to address their behaviour which has no place in society.

“We have also immediately initiated an investigation, appointing a dedicated team to conduct a thorough inquiry into the matter. The team has been gathering information, including reviewing video footage and interviewing witnesses, to understand the full scope of the incident and identify the immediate and remote causes.”

The federal government has also confirmed shutting down of the Lead British International School, Abuja for three days over the case of a student of the school, Namtira Bwala who was physically bullied and assaulted by her classmate, Maryam Hassan.

The Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye, who visited the school on Tuesday,  announced the shutting down of the school following the outrage that trailed the viral video of how and where the female, Maryam brutally slapped and bullied Namtira.

Advertisement
Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Yahaya Bello: NBA disowns protest by lawyers

Published

on

Yahaya Bello: NBA disowns protest by 'fake' lawyers
• The protesting 'lawyers'
• Says protesters not lawyers

The Nigerian Bar Associaiton (NBA) on Tuesday, disclaimed a protest by lawyers over what they called the illegal approach of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in handling its allegations against former Governor of Kogi, Yahaya Bello

The no fewer than 500 persons who claimed to be legal practitioners from across the country on Monday, stormed the Supreme Court complex.

The lawyers, under the umbrella of judicial watchdogs, faulted the siege on the ex-Gov’s residence, in a bid to arrest him, in spite of  a valid court order to the contrary, which had not been vacated.

Meanwhile, in a short notice to newsmen on Tuesday, the NBA through its National Publicity Secretary, Mr Habeeb Lawal, says the group of protesters are not lawyers.

The notice reads: “The above report refers.

“The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) is aware that some news outlets have reported this news.

“Please be informed that while the NBA respects the rights of citizens to assemble and protest, we insist that this particular group of persons are not lawyers.

“For completeness, their supposed leader or convener Sylvanus K. Alewu is not a name known to us,” he said. (NAN)

Advertisement
Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  CKC Onitsha defeats US, Turkey Schools to emerge winner in global competition
Continue Reading

News

7 repentant bandits surrender weapons in Plateau

Published

on

7 repentant bandits surrender weapons in Plateau
• Surrendered weapons

Special Adviser to the Plateau Governor on Security and Coordinator of Operation Rainbow, Brigadier General Gakji Shipi (rtd), has announced that the non-kinetic approach to addressing security challenges in the state is showing positive results.

General Shipi (rtd) revealed that seven notorious bandits have surrendered and given up their weapons, including AK-47 rifles, to security agencies.

During a briefing with journalists on Monday, General Shipi (rtd) praised the joint efforts of security agencies, vigilantes, and hunters in Wase local government area for their recent actions in combatting banditry and other security threats.

He highlighted that the collaboration among these groups had led to the surrender of the weapons by the bandits. General Shipi (rtd) explained that although the bandits were initially hesitant to surrender out of fear of reprisal, they eventually decided to abandon violence and willingly return their weapons.

He stressed that the increasing incidents of armed banditry had prompted security agencies to broaden their focus beyond known hotspots to other regions.

The special adviser credited this achievement to the united efforts of Wase local government authorities, local vigilante groups, the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON), the Department of State Services (DSS), and the police.

General Shipi (rtd) stated, ““For quite some time now, we have been taking a look at the security situation bedevilling the state and apart from the kinetic approach, we have decided to adopt the non-kinetic means to solve the problem.

“We have also decided to shift attention to other areas, especially Wase local government area, which had had fair share of armed banditry and the endeavours have started recording success.

Advertisement

“Some of the criminals and bandits have returned their weapons to us and you know we are still negotiating, but for fear of being prosecuted, some of them have surrendered their weapons to us without coming out, but with the confidence measures we are building more will return their weapons as well as surrender to the authorities”.

SEE ALSO:  Nigeria a war front, disgrace to the world — TY Danjuma

While General Shipi (rtd) did not disclose the exact number of bandits who had surrendered, he confirmed the return of seven AK-47 rifles, suggesting that seven individuals have turned away from banditry.

“We are still in the negotiation phase, and we are hopeful that more bandits will follow suit in renouncing violence and returning their weapons”, he noted.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending