Connect with us

Uncategorized

Court remands 5 police officers in prison over murder of Delta musician, Ogidi

Published

on

Musician Oghenemine Ogidi shortly before his execution
Spread the love

The five police operatives detained in connection with the alleged shooting to death of Delta-born musician and delivery worker, Oghenemine Ogidi, 28, were on Monday arraigned before a state High Court 5, sitting in Asaba.

‎The case, filed under Suit No. THC/ASB/CR/M/66C/2026, came before Justice Marshal Onome Umukoro.

‎The defendants include ASP Usman Nuhu (42), ASP Onoloko Dauroupamo (47), ASP Okoh Kelechi (46), Inspector Goodluck Kingsley (42), and Inspector Omonigho Ahweyevu (41).

‎The officers were ordered to be remanded at the Ogwashi-Uku Correctional Centre, pending further proceedings in the matter.

‎The court adjourned the case to June 15 for fresh arraignment, following a request for legal advice from the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

Maduka College Advert

‎Newsmen were, however, barred from entering the courtroom during the arraignment.

‎Speaking with newsmen after the adjournment, human rights activist, Harrison Gwamnishu, described the appearance of the officers in court as “a positive step towards justice”.

Gwamnishu‎ said the court ordered that the suspects remain in custody, pending legal advice from the DPP.

‎“Today, they finally produced the officers in court, including the principal suspect and others.

“The judge ordered that they remain in custody while the DPP reviews the case,” he said.

‎Gwamnishu expressed the hope that the legal processes would move quickly to enable the full trial to commence.

According to him, the family has alleged that it had not been shown the autopsy report or formally briefed on investigations.

He also claimed that there were attempts to restrict public observation of the proceedings.

‎Gwamnishu further disclosed that future hearings may be conducted virtually, with the suspects appearing from the correctional facility, while proceedings would be “followed remotely” in court.

‎Also speaking, the deceased’s cousin, Alex Emuobor, said the family was not adequately informed about the court sitting and only got details through unofficial sources.

Emuobor‎ said: ‎“We were advised to contact the Commissioner of Police, but later got information from activists that the case would be heard today.

“We rushed down to Asaba immediately.”

He further said the family arrived at the court after proceedings had ended, leaving them frustrated.

‎He appealed to the state Ministry of Justice and other relevant authorities to ensure timely communication with the family on the matter, going forward.

‎“Our only request is to be carried along. We want to know what is happening in the case of our late brother,” he said.

‎Similarly, the elder brother to the deceased, Victory Ogidi, also complained about lack of communication from the authorities handling the case.

‎He said the family had been relying on social media and third-party information, instead of official updates.

‎“We lost our brother, and we should not be relying on social media to know what is happening in a case that concerns us directly,” he said.

‎Victory urged the state Attorney-General, Ministry of Justice, and the Nigeria Police to ensure transparency and regular updates to the family.

He said that the family was not asking for special treatment, but only to be properly briefed and involved in the process.

Meanwhile, Justice Umukoro subsequently adjourned the matter to June 15, 2026, for an update on the DPP’s legal advice and further proceedings.

Reports from the court said  journalists were denied access to the courtroom during the hearing and no reason was officially given for the restriction.

One of the police officers stationed at the court gate told reporters that the restriction was based on instructions from higher authorities.

“That is the instruction we were given. No journalist should come in over this case,” the officer said.

The case stems from the April 26, 2026, fatal shooting of Oghenemine Ogidi, an aspiring Warri-based musician, at Effurun Motor Park in Uvwie Local Government Area of Delta State.

The incident sparked widespread outrage after a viral video allegedly showed ASP Nuhu Usman shooting the victim at close range with an AK-47 rifle.

According to reports, Ogidi was apprehended by motor park officials after a parcel sent to him from Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, was allegedly found to contain a Beretta pistol and four rounds of ammunition.

Two other suspects believed to be linked to the firearm shipment — the alleged sender and the transport driver involved in the delivery — were not brought to court during Monday’s proceedings.

The killing has continued to attract public attention, with family members, civil society organisations and human rights groups demanding justice and accountability.

One of the lawyers monitoring the case, Austin Nyekigbe, said the outcome of the trial would have significant implications for efforts to combat police brutality and impunity.

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. This trial and its outcome have strong implications for the fight to end police brutality and impunity,” he said.

Uncategorized

Tinubu appoints Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan as Head of Civil Service of the Federation

Published

on

Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan
Spread the love

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed Mr Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan as the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, effective from Thursday, August 27, 2026.

Mr Enitan succeeds Mrs Didi Esther Walson-Jack, who will retire soon from the Federal Civil Service upon attaining the statutory retirement age of 60.

Mr Enitan, native of Osun State, is the most senior Permanent Secretary in the Federal Civil Service.

He has served as Permanent Secretary for seven years and seven months, working at the Ministry of Police Affairs, the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, and the Office of the Vice President. He is currently the Permanent Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Education.

He brings considerable institutional experience and a deep understanding of how the Federal Civil Service works to his new responsibility.

Maduka College Advert

President Tinubu expresses his profound appreciation to Mrs Walson-Jack for her distinguished service to the nation and for the reforms, impact and innovations witnessed in the Civil Service during her tenure.

The President wishes her a fulfilling and successful life after service and conveys the nation’s gratitude for her years of dedicated and impactful public service.

President Tinubu charges the incoming Head of the Civil Service of the Federation to consolidate on the reforms and innovations already underway, deepen professionalism and efficiency across the service, and build a more effective and responsive Civil Service capable of delivering on the administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

The President further urges Mr Enitan to lead a Civil Service that is professional, merit-driven, accountable, innovative, and responsive to Nigerians’ needs and aspirations.

Enitan was born on December 12, 1966. He had his secondary education at Ajibode Grammar School, Ibadan and the College of Arts and Science, Ile-Ife. He later attended the University of Lagos and graduated in 1988 with a B.Sc. in Finance and Banking.

In 2015, Enitan obtained an M.Sc. in Public Policy Analysis from Nasarawa State University, Lafia.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin

Published

on

Peter Obi
Spread the love

The Peter Obi Media Office has outlined its principal’s core agenda as campaigns for the January 16, 2027 presidential election officially commence today, Wednesday, August 19, 2026.

In a statement issued earlier today and signed by the POMR spokesman, Idris Zekeri Jnr, the media office said that the 150-day campaign period would provide Nigerians with an opportunity to assess the candidates, their records and their visions for the country ahead of the election.

It introduced the presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Gregory Obi, as the “Candidate of Conscience.”

The statement described Obi, a former governor of Anambra State, as a politician whose public identity is associated with integrity, frugality and accountability.

According to the media office, the Obi campaign is centred on a vision of moving Nigeria “from consumption to production”, while reducing the cost of governance, strengthening education and healthcare, improving security and creating opportunities for young Nigerians.

Maduka College Advert

The statement said Obi’s political appeal was not based on ethnicity, religion or regional affiliation, but on what it described as competence, capacity, character, compassion and commitment.

It further urged Nigerians to use the campaign period to scrutinise the records and policy proposals of all presidential candidates rather than being swayed by campaign slogans and political sentiments.

“For us in the Peter Obi Media Office, these 150 days are crucial because they mark a journey that will culminate on January 16, 2027, when Nigerians decide not only who becomes president but also what kind of nation Nigeria will evolve into,” the statement said.

The media office framed the election as a contest between what it described as the country’s longstanding problems of waste, division and broken promises and an alternative centred on competence, accountability, productivity and hope.

It said Obi would ask Nigerians to judge him by his record, ideas and character, rather than by his ethnicity, religion or political connections.

The statement also highlighted Obi’s record as governor of Anambra State, particularly his emphasis on education, healthcare, infrastructure and fiscal responsibility, while presenting these as indicators of the leadership approach he would bring to the presidency.

“Governance is neither a personal inheritance nor a reward for political loyalty,” the statement said, adding that leadership should be earned through “verifiable competence, character, and measurable outcomes.”

The media office consequently called on voters to listen to all presidential candidates and evaluate their records, ideas and capacity to address Nigeria’s economic hardship, insecurity, unemployment and institutional challenges.

As the campaign begins, it said the central issue should be the kind of Nigeria voters want to build rather than primordial political considerations.

The statement concluded with a direct appeal to Nigerians to listen to Obi and consider his vision for the country.

“Let the campaign begin. Let the people decide. And let Nigeria choose hope over fear, competence over propaganda, and conscience over convenience,” it said.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Nigerian arrested with meth, heroin in Vietnam

Published

on

Spread the love

A Nigerian national has been arrested in Vietnam after authorities allegedly found 2kg of suspected crystal methamphetamine and two suspected bricks of heroin concealed in a consignment from Laos.

VietnamPlus reported on Monday that the drugs were discovered at the Lao Bao International Border Gate in Quang Tri Province after customs officers detected suspicious images in a consigned package during a scan.

The report said the case was uncovered at about 8:30 pm on August 5 when customs officers were inspecting road vehicles entering Vietnam from Laos through the border gate.

“Customs officers detected suspicious images in a consigned package using scanning equipment,” the report stated.

A subsequent physical inspection reportedly revealed that the drugs had been concealed inside electric water heaters and electronic components “used as disguises.”

Maduka College Advert

The discovery raised suspicions of transnational drug trafficking, prompting the Customs Sub-Department of Region IX to assign its customs control team to lead the investigation.

The team also coordinated with the Lao Bao International Border Gate’s customs branch, the drug-related crimes investigation police division under the Quang Tri Police, the anti-smuggling investigation sub-department and the provincial Border Guard.

According to the report, the agencies worked together “to identify and locate the recipient” of the consignment.

“After several days of tracing the consignment across multiple locations,” law enforcement officers arrested Izuchukwu Calistus Odionye, a Nigerian national born in 1983, on August 9 in Ho Chi Minh City while he was receiving the package.

The suspect reportedly admitted that the package contained drugs.

Odionye told investigators that he “had been hired to receive it in Ho Chi Minh City and transport it to Hanoi,” according to the report.

The Vietnamese authorities have since expanded the investigation to identify other people allegedly involved in the case.

“The investigation has been expanded to identify other people involved,” the report added.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert