
News
AFCON 2025: Morocco beat Nigeria 4–2 on penalties to face Senegal in final
Nigeria’s Super Eagles on Wednesday lost 4–2 in a penalty shootout to host nation Morocco at the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations after a tense 0–0 draw at the Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium.
The semi-final was an evenly contested affair over 120 minutes, with Morocco dominating much of the attacking play, registering 16 shots to Nigeria’s 2.
Both sides created chances, but Nigeria’s Stanley Nwabali and Morocco’s Yassine Bounou kept their teams in the game with key saves.
Star forwards Victor Osimhen and Ademola Lookman struggled to influence the match, and their efforts in extra time were thwarted by the hosts’ defence and goalkeeper.
Morocco captain Achraf Hakimi was superb at right-back, as was his counterpart on the left side, Noussair Mazraoui.
Both played prominent roles in the attack, keeping pressure on Nigeria while also limiting the impact of the Super Eagles’ attackers.

The Atlas Lions held their nerve in the shootout, with En-Nesyri converting the decisive penalty to send the home team into the final.
Nigeria’s hopes were dashed when Samuel Chukwueze and Bruno Onyamaechi failed to convert, giving Morocco a 4–2 shootout victory.
Both Paul Onuachu and Fisayo Dele-Bashiru scored, while Chukwueze missed, and Onyamaechi’s attempt was saved.
Morocco will now face Senegal in Sunday’s final, aiming to claim only their second AFCON title, following their last triumph in 1976.
Nigeria will contest third place on Saturday with Egypt, who lost 1–0 to Senegal earlier on Wednesday.

News
Anambra denies introducing new burial law
The Anambra State Government has dismissed reports claiming Governor Charles Chukwuma Soludo signed a “new burial law” imposing restrictions, including a ban on the use of cows and goats during condolence visits, describing them as false and malicious.
The state Commissioner for Information and Value Reformation, Dr. Law Mefor, while clarifying the matter said that no new burial law had been passed by the Soludo administration.
“For the record: No new burial law has been passed by Governor Soludo’s administration. The subsisting Anambra Burial Law is the 2019 law signed by former Governor Willie Obiano,” Mefor said.
The government said the claims circulating on social media and other traditional media outlets were not contained in any section of the 2019 law. It described the assertion that cows and goats are banned at condolence visits as a fabrication intended to mislead the public and incite outrage.
Mefor faulted media organizations for publishing the report without verification, saying journalism demands accuracy, balance, and a duty to confirm claims before publication.
“It is disappointing and irresponsible that established media houses would abandon basic verification and become conduits for viral fake news,” Mefor said.

The government urged the public to disregard the report and called on media organizations to uphold professional standards and avoid publishing unverified reports that could cause public disaffection.
Residents were advised to rely only on official communication channels of the Anambra State Government for accurate information on government policy.

News
‘Some people told Tinubu I wanted to kill him, take over Power’, Says Vice President Shettima

Vice President Kashim Shettima has revealed that some individuals from Borno State allegedly warned President Bola Tinubu against wearing traditional outfits he gave him during the 2023 presidential campaign, claiming the garments had been used to charm him and could lead to his death.
Shettima made the disclosure on Tuesday while speaking at the public presentation of former Head of State Yakubu Gowon’s autobiography, My Life of Duty and Allegiance, in Abuja, where he represented the President.
According to the Vice President, the incident happened shortly after the inauguration of the Tinubu administration in 2023.
He said he had travelled to Beijing, China, in October 2023 to represent Tinubu at the 3rd Belt and Road Initiative Forum held from October 16 to 18.
Shettima said that upon his return, Tinubu informed him that some people had visited him with claims that the traditional Borno attire Shettima supplied during the campaign had spiritual implications.
“When I came back from China, where I had represented him at the Belt and Road Initiative Conference, he said: ‘Sit down. Your people came to me and said I should stop wearing those dresses you gave me. They said I must have been charmed, and that I am going to die and he will become the president,’” Shettima recounted.

He said Tinubu dismissed the allegation, noting that the claim did not make sense because both of them were only aspirants at the time the clothes were given to him.
According to Shettima, Tinubu told him: “Their story did not add up, because when you gave me those dresses, I was an aspirant. I wasn’t even the candidate. Neither were you the vice-presidential candidate.”
The Vice President added that Tinubu deliberately continued wearing the outfits for one week to dismiss the allegations.
“For one week, to prove to them that he is not fetish, he wore those dresses,” he said.
Shettima said the episode reflected what he described as growing suspicion within Nigeria’s political environment.
He compared the situation with an earlier account shared by the Sultan of Sokoto about how Gowon used to receive gallons of fura weekly from the Sultan’s family in Sokoto while serving as Head of State at Dodan Barracks in Lagos.
According to Shettima, Gowon accepted the gesture without suspicion, unlike the present climate of mistrust.
“Suspicion smears our relationships, and it ought not to be. We are essentially one people tied to a common destiny,” he said.

News
Activities grounded at Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital Enugu as Workers begin indefinite strike over Same-Scale Promotion
Activities at the Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital Enugu were disrupted on Tuesday as workers under the umbrella of the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) and the National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives (NANNM) commenced an indefinite strike over what they described as “obnoxious same-scale promotion” implemented during the hospital’s 2025 promotion exercise.
The protesting workers, who came out in large numbers, marched from the hospital’s Boulevard area to the main gate, chanting solidarity songs and carrying placards demanding immediate reversal of the promotion exercise which they said amounted to stagnation and demotion of staff.
The industrial action followed the expiration of a 21-day ultimatum issued to the management of the hospital on April 27, 2026, during which the unions demanded the withdrawal of the controversial promotion policy.

Workers of Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital Enugu on strike
Addressing the workers during the demonstration, the Enugu State Vice Chairman of National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives (NANNM), Comrade Innocent Ejike, assured the aggrieved staff of labour’s support, insisting that injustice against workers would not be allowed to stand.
“As far as we’re concerned, what is wrong will never stand. If they’re working against you, they’re working against all of us and we’ll never allow that to stand,” he said.

He urged the workers to remain united and disciplined throughout the struggle, stressing that division among workers would weaken their cause.
“There’s no way somebody will go through the rudiments and process of promotion exams and you still keep him in the same position. That is another name for stagnation,” he added.

Also speaking, Chairman Joint Health Sector Union, JOHESU, National Orthopedic Hospital Enugu, Comrade Chukwuemeka Edwin, said the unions were at the hospital to demonstrate solidarity with their members, recalling a similar experience at the National Orthopaedic Hospital Enugu in 2011.
According to him, workers in the orthopaedic hospital resisted attempts to deny them “skipping” during promotions under the Consolidated Health Salary Structure (CONHESS), warning that labour would resist any attempt to revive the policy at FNHE.
“What they did to us then was that people moving from CONHESS 10 to 11 were promoted to the same CONHESS 10, while those moving from 11 to 12 were retained on the same level of 11. We resisted it completely.
“After 15 years of that dark era, we are now seeing the same thing being implemented at the Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital Enugu. It will never happen,” he declared.
Edwin described the implementation of same-scale promotion as “illegal,” insisting that healthcare promotion remained a “no-go area.”
“The only thing that should call you back from this strike is the withdrawal of that letter,” he told the protesting workers.
Chairman of the National Union of Allied Health Workers and Professionals Enugu State Chapter and past Chairman of Trade Union Congress, TUC, in the state, Asogwa Benjamin, said the unions resorted to strike action after exhausting all avenues for dialogue with management.
“After the 21-day ultimatum, we still gave a grace period of two days. So, we are constrained to take up this last option,” he stated.
Similarly, Acting Chairman of NANNM in the hospital, Comrade Ajiri Okezie, insisted that the workers were only demanding their legitimate rights.
“Promotion is not a privilege but a right. We consulted widely before taking this action. Until you hear from us, don’t come to work,” he said.
The Acting Chairman of JOHESU and Senior Staff Chairman, Comrade Cletus Nweke, also threw his weight behind the strike, describing the workers’ action as justified.
In the April 27 ultimatum jointly signed by leaders of JOHESU affiliates and NANNM in the hospital, the unions accused the management of subjecting workers to “same-scale promotion” during the 2025 exercise.
The unions stated that the exercise was “not promotion but rather stagnation/demotion,” warning that they could no longer guarantee industrial harmony if the decision was not reversed.
The workers anchored part of their demands on a 2017 circular issued by the Federal Ministry of Health following a memorandum of terms of settlement reached with JOHESU after a nationwide strike.
In the October 3, 2017 document signed on behalf of the Minister by Dr. W. D. Balami, Head of Department of Hospital Services, the ministry expressly directed federal health institutions that “there should be no same-scale promotion in accordance with the Public Service Rule.”
The document also directed hospitals to pay arrears of “skipping” and other allowances owed to health workers.
Union leaders at the protest argued that the current promotion exercise at FNHE violated the 2017 agreement and contravened established public service rules guiding promotions in the health sector.
As of the time of filing this report, the management of the hospital had yet to officially respond to the allegations and the ongoing strike action.

-
News1 day agoAnambra introduces new burial law, bans presentation of cows, goats as condolence gifts
-
News11 hours agoActivities grounded at Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital Enugu as Workers begin indefinite strike over Same-Scale Promotion
-
News1 day agoYahaya Bello disqualified from APC Senatorial primaries
-
News3 days agoI regret trusting my community elders,’ says Cubana Chief Priest after primary election defeat
-
Politics23 hours agoKogi Senator declares war against Gov Ododo after losing APC return ticket
-
News2 days agoHoodlums rape Lagos grandmother to death
-
News3 days agoPeter Obi mourns 17 police officers killed in Yobe deadly terror ambush
-
Politics1 day agoList of all 47 senatorial aspirants Not Cleared by the APC




