Connect with us

International

Woman dies in attack by registered XL bullies at East London home

Published

on

XL bully dog IMAGE SOURCE, REUTERS
Spread the love

A woman in her 50s has died after she was attacked by her two registered XL bullies at a house in east London.

The woman was treated by paramedics at the home in Cornwall Close, Hornchurch, but died at the scene on Monday afternoon.

The two dogs were seized by armed officers after being contained in a room.

It is believed to be the first fatal attack by XL bully dogs that were known to have been registered under new laws.

A blue forensic tent was put up outside the woman’s home in the small residential street following the attack.
Forensic team walking out of house with bags
Image caption, Officers can be seen working at the property

Officers and forensic teams can be seen removing items from the property.

Maduka College Advert

The family of the woman, who was the owner of the dogs, is being supported by officers, the Metropolitan Police says.

Neighbours have described seeing paramedics administer CPR to the victim in her front garden.

A woman, who has asked to remain anonymous, said: “I came out of the house and looked to see what had happened. We hadn’t heard anything but saw a helicopter overhead and loads of police.
“I stood by the road and saw a paramedic administering CPR. That poor woman. It’s shocking.”
Scene on Cornwall Close
Image caption, Two XL bully dogs were seized by armed officers at the home.

Another woman, who also did not want to be named, said she heard barking during the incident and had previously warned her child about going near the XL bully dogs.
‘A lot of barking’
“I said ‘don’t ever touch those dogs. They’re dangerous’.

“I didn’t see anything but I heard a lot of of barking and saw a lot of people outside,” she said.
One neighbour said he did not hear the incident but saw the police helicopter followed by up to three ambulances and about nine police cars arriving at the scene.
He said: “I looked out and saw two or three ambulances and eight or nine police cars. We asked police what had happened, they said there’d been ‘an unfortunate incident’.
Neighbour Sejal Solanki

“At around 4.15pm we were told to evacuate. We were out for around half an hour while police blocked off the road.”

Neighbour Sejal Solanki called the woman’s death “very very sad”.
“The fact that that’s happened with her own dogs is scary,” she said.
“We have children and they’re playing in the field there, near her house, and it could happen to anybody really.”
What is the XL bully ban and how dangerous are they?
Julia Lopez, the MP for Hornchurch and Upminster, told BBC Radio London: “I think the whole community is in shock at this incident.”

“To find out it was as a result of her two dogs was deeply distressing and I obviously think of her family and her neighbours who will have been deeply affected by this,” she said.

Michaela Scott
Image caption, Local dog trainer Michaela Scott, who specialises in working with XL bully dogs, said there were “quite a lot” of people in the area with XL bullies
From 1 February, it became an offence in England and Wales to own an XL bully without an exemption certificate.
‘She was complying with law’

Anyone who owns one of the dogs must have the animal neutered and microchipped, and keep it muzzled and on a lead in public, among other restrictions.

According to the Office for National Statistics, there were 16 deaths due to dog attacks in 2023, a sharp rise from preceding years where the number had been in single figures.

As of late 2023, around 60% of dogs held in police kennels were a bull breed of some kind.

Ms Lopez added that while incidents like this would “provoke a new debate” on the rules surrounding XL bully ownership, it was her understanding the “lady affected had those dogs under the new licences that requires the dogs to be neutered, to be chipped, to be muzzled”.
“So she was complying with the law.”

Scene on Cornwall Close
Image caption, Items have been removed from the home
Dog behaviourist Michaela Scott, who lives near the house where the woman died in Hornchurch, said attacks like this could be scary for people who did not work with this breed.
“It’s really sad for the person, the neighbours, for the local community,” she said.

Ms Scott, who specialises in working with XL bully dogs, said there were “quite a lot” of people in the area with the breed.

She said there had been a rise in demand from owners for her training program to help their dogs adapt to the new rules.

“Owners want to do what’s right for their dog,” she said. “They want to know how to keep their dog safe as well as everyone else safe.”

International

Security Alert: CCTV Footage of White House shooting suspect released By Trump goes viral

Published

on

The suspect
Spread the love

The President of the United States, Donald Trump, has released CCTV footage and images of a suspect linked to a shooting incident at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in Washington.

The released video, shared shortly before the President spoke to the press, reportedly shows the suspect entering the ballroom of the Washington Hilton and bypassing a security metal detector before armed security personnel moved in to intercept him.

Trump described the individual as a “would-be assassin,” alleging that he was heavily armed and managed to breach a key security checkpoint.

According to BBC reporting, the President said the suspect forced his way past screening procedures while carrying multiple weapons.

Photographs also released by the President show a shirtless man lying face down in a lobby area with his hands restrained behind his back, believed to be the suspect involved.

Authorities confirmed that the suspect is now in custody. Trump also stated that a law enforcement officer was shot during the incident but survived due to wearing a bulletproof vest.

Maduka College Advert

The shooting occurred on Saturday night during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, an annual event attended by journalists, government officials, and other dignitaries.

The incident caused panic at the venue, leading to the evacuation of guests and officials.

Investigations are ongoing to determine the motive behind the attack and how the security breach occurred.

Continue Reading

International

U.S., Iran agree two-week ceasefire as Iran reopens Strait of Hormuz

Published

on

Strait of Hormuz
Spread the love

Iran has confirmed a two-week ceasefire announced by U.S. President Donald Trump, the Tasnim news agency, which is close to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), reported early on Wednesday.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz would be possible for two weeks in coordination with Iran’s armed forces “and with due consideration of technical limitations.”

Trump had made reopening the waterway a condition for the ceasefire and had threatened to target Iran’s energy sector and infrastructure, including bridges, if Tehran failed to comply, setting a deadline of 0000 GMT.

The Strait of Hormuz, crucial to global oil and gas trade, has been largely closed since the United States and Israel launched large-scale attacks on Iran on Feb. 28.

According to a senior U.S. official, Israel will also adhere to what Trump described as a “double sided CEASEFIRE.”

Pakistan, which has mediated between Tehran and Washington, said that an immediate ceasefire between Iran and the US had taken effect.

Maduka College Advert

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif wrote on X that the Islamic Republic of Iran and the U.S., along with their allies, had agreed to an “immediate ceasefire everywhere,” including in Lebanon.

“I warmly welcome the sagacious gesture and extend deepest gratitude to the leadership of both the countries and invite their delegations to Islamabad on Friday … to further negotiate for a conclusive agreement to settle all disputes,” Sharif said.

Trump earlier said Sharif had asked him to refrain from carrying out the threatened attacks.

The U.S. has received a 10-point proposal from Iran and believed it offered a “workable basis” for negotiations, Trump wrote on his platform Truth Social.

According to The New York Times, the plan calls for lifting all sanctions imposed on Iran. (dpa/NAN)

Continue Reading

International

Earthquake kills 8 members of same family in Afghanistan

Published

on

Spread the love
An earthquake that struck Afghanistan overnight killed eight members of the same family in Kabul province, the health ministry said on Saturday.

The 5.8-magnitude quake struck at 8.42 pm (1612 GMT) on Friday at a depth of 186 kilometres (115 miles) at the epicentre in northeastern Badakhshan province, according to the US Geological Survey (USGS).

Shaking was felt in multiple parts of the country, including the capital Kabul, according to AFP journalists.

“In the Gosfand Dara area of Kabul Province, eight members of a family died as a result of the earthquake,” Health Ministry spokesman Sharafat Zaman said in a message to media.

He added that a child aged around two years old was the only survivor from the household and the country’s disaster management agency said the boy had been injured in the tremor.

Afghanistan is frequently jolted by earthquakes, particularly along the Hindu Kush mountain range near where the Eurasian and Indian tectonic plates meet.

In August, a shallow magnitude 6 earthquake wiped out mountainside villages and killed more than 2,200 people in eastern Afghanistan, making it the deadliest tremor in the country’s recent history.

Maduka College Advert

AFP

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert