Connect with us

News

Enugu govt begins construction of Smart City with 22,000 structures

Published

on

• The architectural design of the New Enugu Smart City

…First smart city in Sub Sahara Africa being handled by Chinese firm

The Governor Peter Mbah administration in Enugu State has began the construction of innovative and scientifically driven Smart City in the state with no fewer than 22,000 structures.

The Enugu State Commissioner for Science and Technology, Prince Lawrence Eze disclosed this in an interview.

He said the smart city would be driven by innovation and technology, adding that everything about the city would be carried out by the state Ministry of Science and Technology.

“Everything that needs to make life better technology-wise, is going to be found in that city and this ministry will manage that,” he said.

Governor Peter Mbah and some of hos officials while flagged off construction of the Smart City in Enugu

Governor Peter Mbah and some of hos officials while flagged off construction of the Smart City in Enugu

Eze said that the ministry would also get people to train those that would manage the city.

“We are also going to put people to train our people, the people who are developing the place have obliged to train our people to take over the management of the smart city.

The Commissioner added that the smart city would have a filling pipe gas network, Wi-Fi, monorail, Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses and electric cars plying only within that city.

He added that the city would be filled up with vegetation and all kinds of things that made up a great city, noting that there would be artificial lake and rivers.

Eze said that funds had already been made available for the construction of the city as it would be the first smart city in Sub Sahara Africa.

Advertisement

He added that the governor gave the Chinese company two years to deliver the first phase of the project.

SEE ALSO:  NLC Nationwide Strike: Banks, Schools, public offices shut down in Akwa Ibom

“We took the city from China and we brought this city and gave it to the Chinese that built the one in China to replicate what they did in China here in Nigeria.

“So you cannot say that the same company that actually gave their people that portion of smart city in China cannot replicate it when the resources have been given to them.

“This is because they demonstrated capacity that they can execute this kind of project in the past,” he said.

“Once that city is in place, a whole lot of people in the diaspora might decide to start relocating some of their children here because some of them have the intention to bring their children to learn our culture or learn a few things that is going on and even learn our language.

“But they don’t have a beautiful city to compare to where they live and also the issue of security.“The governor is deploying both kinetic and non kinetic approaches in confronting the issues of insecurity,” he said.

Advertisements
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

86-year-old woman set ablaze by daughter over alleged witchcraft

Published

on

Gunmen abduct Company MD, three foreigners in Lagos
A 45-year-old woman simply identified as Abiodun and popularly called “Iya Sunday,” has set her mother ablaze in a bid to kill her.

Abiodun was told by a Pastor that she would be free from a spiritual bondage after the death of her 86-year-old mother.

Witnesses said the suspect poured petrol on her mother and set her ablaze on Friday morning around 5am.

The incident happened at Surulere, opposite Anglican Cathedral Church in Ondo West local government area of Ondo State.

Gory picture of the victim showed that she sustained severe burns all over her body and receiving treatment in an undisclosed hospital.

An eyewitness, Sola Oladele, said the suspect came to her mother’s house in the early hours of Friday.

He said she called out her mother before pouring petrol on her and setting her on fire.

According to him: “What happened between them before the incident we don’t know, but the suspect has been arrested by police at the Enu-Owa division for further investigation.”

Abiodun said her action was because she was told that her mother was behind her predicament.

Advertisement

She said: “I went to my mother’s house around 4 a.m. and sat outside. When it was 5 am, I called out my mother from the house. Immediately after she came out, not knowing what was happening, I poured petrol on her body and set her on fire.

“What started it is that I went to one Pastor for prayers and he told me that my mother is behind what is happening to me. I did not believe it at first. My mother also took me somewhere to see one woman. After my mother left, the woman also said the same thing.

SEE ALSO:  Elder statesman urges Nigerians to stop ‘demonizing governors’ over LG autonomy

“I burnt my mother because of what I heard from the pastor and the woman, that I can only be freed from bondage when my mother is dead.”

Police sources said the case would be transferred to the Police headquarters in Akure for further investigation. (The Nation)

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Gunmen abduct Company MD, three foreigners in Lagos, demand $1.5m ransom

Published

on

File: Kidnappers
Armed men suspected to be kidnappers have abducted four Lebanese including the Managing Director of Fouani Company, a prominent representative of LG and Hisense.

According to credible sources, the victims were travelling by boat from Apapa to Victoria Island when they were ambushed near Falomo Bridge. The kidnappers, whose identities are unknown, have demanded an astounding $1.5 million ransom.

Police Public Relations Officer of the Lagos State Police, Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the incident and stated that an investigation is ongoing.

He said, “Yes, we received the report and are investigating it.”
“We are currently working with their families and the Lebanese community to get them released,” Hundeyin explained.

However, the abduction has sparked outrage in the business community, with many calling for increased security measures to protect citizens.

The incident raises concerns about the safety of Lagos’ waterways and the effectiveness of law enforcement agencies in combating crime.

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Kogi Gov’ship: Tribunal to deliver judgment on SDP, Ajaka’s petition against Gov Ododo May 27
Continue Reading

News

ICPC grills woman who accused suspended Perm Sec of S*xual harassment

Published

on

ICPC grills woman who accused suspended Perm Sec of Sexual harassment
 •Suspended Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ibrahim Lamuwa
Simisola Fajemirokun-Ajayi, the woman who accused the Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ibrahim Lamuwa, of s*xual harassment, has been grilled and thereafter released by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

This is in the wake of an ongoing investigation by the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation (OHCSF), following a letter from the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Maitama Tuggar, in response to a petition written by Fajemirokun-Ajayi, against the permanent secretary.

In an exclusive interview with Daily Trust Saturday, an official of the ICPC said that Mrs Fajemirokun-Ajayi was quizzed for hours by the crack detectives of the commission over her allegations.

The official, who did not want his name in print, said Fajemirokun-Ajayi arrived at the commission’s headquarters at about 9:40 am, on Friday, alongside her lawyer; responded to various questions posed to her.

“She wasn’t arrested. She was invited and she honoured the invitation to come and substantiate the s*xual harassment allegations against the Permanent Secretary of her ministry, Ibrahim Lamuwa,” the official said.

The official said she was released after the interrogation on Friday, adding that she would still be called upon in future to make further clarifications if there is a need for her to do so.

Ambassador Lamuwa had responded to the query issued him by the head of service, denying all the allegations labelled against him.

The ICPC’s invitation letter inviting Mrs Fajemirokun-Ajayi was addressed to the minister of foreign affairs, requesting him to release her for questioning.

SEE ALSO:  Democracy Day: APC Chieftain says democratic dividends not delivered optimally

The ministry received the ICPC letter titled: ‘Investigation Activities: Notice of Invitation’ on Thursday.

Advertisement

It said: “In view of the above and pursuant to sections 28 and 40 of the said Act, you are kindly requested to release and direct Mrs Simisola Fajemirokun-Ajayi of the Ministry to appear for an interview before the undersigned at the Commission’s Headquarters, Abuja, on Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:00 hours,” read the invitation letter dated June 11, and signed by Acting Director of Operations, S. Yahaya.

It is not immediately clear whose petition led to the ICPC investigation or what exactly the agency is investigating.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending