Connect with us

News

‘Nigeria is bleeding,’ says Yoruba Union, asks Nigerians to vote Tinubu out in 2027

Published

on

Tinubu scraps Ministries of Niger Delta, Sports
President Bola Tinubu
Spread the love

The Yoruba socio-cultural group, Ìgbìnmó Májékóbájé Ilé-Yorùbá (Yoruba Union), has called on Nigerians to vote President Bola Ahmed Tinubu out of office in the 2027 general elections, accusing his administration of worsening insecurity, deepening economic hardship, and refusing to acknowledge the suffering of ordinary citizens.

The call was contained in a statement issued on Sunday by the group’s Convener, Olusola Badero, and made available through its Home Director, Princess Balogun.

The organisation said Nigeria was “bleeding” under the current administration, alleging that despite the country’s mounting security and economic challenges, the President had continued to dismiss the concerns of suffering Nigerians.

“Our people have become beggars under Tinubu’s watch while hundreds of innocent citizens remain in the hands of Fulani terrorists waiting for ransom payments. The cost of living has become unbearable, yet the President does not want to listen to Nigerians,” the group said.

The Yoruba Union maintained that the Tinubu administration had failed to provide meaningful solutions to the nation’s most pressing problems, insisting that Nigerians should reject the President’s re-election bid in 2027.

Maduka College Advert

The group also aligned itself with concerns recently raised by the Archbishop Emeritus of the Catholic Archdiocese of Abuja, Cardinal John Onaiyekan, and other Catholic bishops, who reportedly told President Tinubu during a meeting that millions of Nigerians were grappling with severe economic hardship and worsening insecurity.

According to the organisation, rather than acknowledge those concerns and outline practical measures to address them, the President insisted that his administration’s policies were yielding positive results.

“The country is truly bleeding, but Tinubu neither wants to see the realities nor listen to the cries of Nigerians,” the statement added.

The group further cited the security situation in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State, alleging that nearly 176 women and children abducted since February were still being held captive, while about 200 people had been killed, despite government assurances that security was improving.

It argued that deteriorating economic conditions had pushed many Nigerians into criminal activities as they struggled to survive.

“Many people have resorted to different forms of criminality because of the economic situation in the country, yet Tinubu insists that the economy is doing fine,” the organisation stated.

The Yoruba Union also accused the President and his family of being insulated from the realities confronting ordinary Nigerians because of the privileges associated with public office.

“Since Tinubu and his family enjoy taxpayers’ money, travel abroad, eat well and have access to every luxury they desire, they will never believe that millions of Nigerians are wallowing in poverty.

“They will never understand that hunger is killing people daily or that many Nigerians have died simply because they could not afford to buy medicines needed to treat themselves.”

The group equally blamed the administration for what it described as the growing insecurity across the country.

“Tinubu has institutionalised insecurity. Military generals are being killed and kidnapped, students are abducted and murdered, yet the government behaves as though nothing has happened,” it alleged.

It argued that the nation’s security challenges alone should be enough reason for Nigerians to reject the President at the next general election.

“The realities facing this country today are enough reasons for Nigerians to vote Tinubu out in 2027,” the statement said.

The organisation also expressed concern over the plight of Nigerians in the diaspora who returned home to invest after government appeals, alleging that many had instead been subjected to intimidation, multiple taxation and destruction of their businesses.

“Many Nigerians who were encouraged to return home and invest are now regretting their decisions. Some obtained loans abroad to finance businesses in Nigeria, but instead of encouraging them, the government has continued to torment them, destroy their properties and burden them with numerous taxes,” it stated.

The Yoruba Union further accused security agencies, particularly the Department of State Services (DSS) and the Nigeria Police Force, of abandoning their constitutional responsibilities and becoming instruments of political oppression.

“The country is truly bleeding, and security agencies like the DSS and the police, which ought to stand with the people, are now being used by the Tinubu government to oppress citizens.

“They are being used to arrest, detain and jail innocent Nigerians whose only offence is demanding good governance and accountability.”

Describing Nigeria as a “banana republic” under the current administration, the group called on Nigerians to unite behind credible leaders capable of restoring accountability, rebuilding public confidence and returning the country to the path of national progress.

“It is time for Nigerians to wake up from their slumber, unite and support credible leaders who can hold corrupt politicians accountable, recover Nigeria’s lost glory and restore the country’s dignity both in Africa and on the global stage,” the statement added.

News

Four family members, dog die after eating Amala meal in Kogi

Published

on

Amala meal
Spread the love

Four members of the same family have reportedly died after consuming amala in Ihima, Okehi Local Government Area of Kogi State.

The family’s dog was also reported to have died after consuming the same food.

Following the incident, the Kogi State Government has ordered an immediate investigation into the circumstances surrounding the deaths.

The state Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Fanwo, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday, saying the Governor of Kogi State, Ahmed Ododo, had directed the Commissioner for Health to commence a comprehensive investigation into the incident.

“The Chief Servant is deeply concerned by this tragic incident and has directed the Commissioner for Health to immediately investigate the circumstances surrounding the deaths, with particular attention to the possibility of food poisoning or food contamination.

Maduka College Advert

“The investigation must establish the facts and determine whether the food consumed by the deceased was contaminated or whether any other medical or environmental factor contributed to the deaths.

“Relevant samples and available evidence should be properly examined in accordance with established public health procedures,” Fanwo quoted the governor as directing.

Fanwo said the state government was also concerned by reports that the family’s dog died after consuming the same food, adding that the development would form part of the investigation.

He said the governor had directed the Ministry of Health to work with relevant agencies and stakeholders to ensure that the investigation was thorough and that appropriate public health measures were taken based on its findings.

“The government urges members of the public to remain calm and avoid drawing conclusions about the cause of the deaths until the investigation is concluded and the facts are established by the relevant authorities,” the commissioner said.

Fanwo said the governor commiserated with the bereaved family and the people of Ihima over the incident, praying that God would grant the family the strength and comfort to bear the loss.

He assured the people of Kogi State that the government would make further information available as soon as verified facts emerge from the investigation.

Continue Reading

News

1,844 killed in South-East in two years — Amnesty International reports

Published

on

Spread the love

…Demands probe into alleged rights abuse 

Amnesty International has re-launched two reports documenting alleged human rights violations in the South-East and called on governments and security agencies to end impunity, unlawful abductions, torture and killings.

The reports, “A Decade of Impunity: Attacks and Unlawful Killings in South-East Nigeria” and “Tiger Base of Atrocities: Human Rights Violations by Nigeria Police Anti-Kidnapping Unit in Owerri,” were unveiled in Umuahia on Wednesday.

Benedicta Ofili, Finance and Office Manager at Amnesty International Nigeria, said the organisation documented at least 1,844 deaths between 2021 and mid-2023 involving non-state armed groups, state-backed outfits and security operations.

Ofili also highlighted allegations of arbitrary detention, enforced disappearances, extortion and deaths in custody, particularly at the Anti-Kidnapping Unit popularly known as Tiger Base in Imo State.

She said Amnesty interviewed 23 former detainees, including 14 women, and recorded cases of torture and poor detention conditions.

Maduka College Advert

Three of those interviewed reportedly died after detention.

The organisation said insecurity has caused displacement, disruption of education, loss of livelihoods and restrictions on movement due to sit-at-home orders.

Amnesty demanded independent investigations, prosecution of perpetrators, reparations for victims, and stronger accountability by state and federal authorities.

The presentation was followed by emotional testimonies from tearful relatives of persons allegedly abducted by security operatives as they chorused, “we don’t know where they are.”

Miriam Onyema, weeping, said her husband, Kingsley Chinedu, was arrested on April 25, 2021, at Hospital Junction, Imo State, and labelled an IPOB member. She said all efforts to locate him failed.

Esther Chinedu told the gathering that her husband, Pastor Godspower Chinedu, was arrested in 2022 and has not been seen since despite repeated searches at police detention facilities.

Caroline Chukwuma said her husband, Chukwuma Nwokike, was allegedly abducted in 2021 at St. Paul Junction, Aba, and detained at CPS Aba. She said lawyers were denied access before he was allegedly transferred to Abuja.

Chinwendu Chidiebere said her husband, Chidiebere Ekwe, was arrested at his workshop in Aba on June 22, 2021, and taken to CPS Aba where the family was denied access.

Nicolas Ejekwu, an elderly man, tearfully recounted how soldiers arrested his sons, Obinna and Onyebuchi, at home. He said he was later told they were tortured and killed, with their bodies deposited at FMC Umuahia mortuary.

He added that over 50 bodies of youths allegedly killed by security agencies on suspicion of IPOB membership were found at the mortuary.

Cecilia Nmaoche said her son, Christian Ifeanyi, was allegedly abducted in 2022 and has not been seen or heard from since.

The families appealed to Amnesty and the government to help locate their loved ones and ensure those arrested are charged to court instead of being detained indefinitely.

The Attorney General of Abia, represented by Chinenye Onyemanonu, said the state has zero tolerance for abuses and forwards complaints to the Citizens’ Rights Department.

He cited a case where a family detained for six months was rescued.

Human rights activist Samuel Agwu urged rights groups to ensure victims get justice and legal representation, calling for an end to what he described as a culture of impunity in the region. (Arise News)

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu unveils APC presidential campaign council, appoints self as chairman

Published

on

P Shettima and President Tinubu
Spread the love

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has released a list of members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council.

The list was released in a statement by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President (Information and Strategy), on Saturday.
He noted that members of the APC Presidential Campaign Council (has been) constituted; Abdulaziz Yari to serve as DG, Uzodimma secretary President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima will serve as chairman and vice chairman, respectively.

APC National Secretary, Ajibola Bashiru, and Hadiza Bala-Usman will serve as Deputy Secretary and Assistant Secretary respectively.
According to the statement, “The Chairman of the Campaign Council, President Tinubu, will work with a body of advisers comprising Chief Bisi Akande, Chief Segun Osoba, Senator Rochas Okorocha, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, and Senator Florence Ita Giwa.’

The statement further read: “Senate President Godswill Akpabio, Speaker Tajudeen Abbas, and Governor Mai Mala Buni of Yobe State have been assigned as Deputy Directors-General for the campaign in the South and the North. They will work with Senator Bamidele Opeyemi and Senator Jibril Barau in the two zones.

“Senator Adams Oshiomhole will serve as Deputy Director-General in charge of mobilisation, while the President’s Chief of Staff will serve as Deputy Director-General for Administration.
“James Abiodun Faleke, who played a pivotal role in the 2022/2023 campaign, has returned as Deputy Director-General for Election Planning, Coordination and Monitoring.

Maduka College Advert

“Faleke will work with zonal directors, with Senator Olushola Adeyeye in the South-West, Dr Ngozi Olejeme in the South-South, Senator Uche Ekwunife in the South-East, Muntaqha Rabe in the North-West, Ahmed Muhammed Ketso in the North-Central, and Senator Sani Danladi in the North-East.

“Ms Stella Okotete, Engineer Abdullahi Garba Ramat and Audu Maikori will serve as Secretaries of the Election Planning Directorate.

“Muiz Adeyemi Banire will lead the Legal Directorate as Director, with Dr Liman Hassan and Babatunde Ogala as deputies. Other members are Prince Lateef Fagbemi, former Governor Ibrahim Shema, Worgu Boms and Dr Kingsley Tochukwu Udeh.

“The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris Malagi, will serve as the Coordinating Director for Media and Strategic Communication, along with Dele Alake, Bayo Onanuga, and Lanre Issa-Onilu.
“The Media Directorate also includes Tunde Rahman, Sunday Dare, Daniel Bwala, and Felix Morka, who have been assigned as Coordinating Deputy Directors.

“As we march into the campaign season, we have many achievements to trumpet—let us confidently showcase our record and inspire hope in every corner of our nation. Let us soundly defeat all those forces who plan to take our country backwards.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert