Connect with us

News

Enugu Works Commissioner reads riot act to construction firms

Published

on

Enugu Works Commissioner reads riot act to construction firms
• Gov. Peter Mbah of Enugu State, Secretary to Enugu State Government, Prof Chidiebere Onyia and Commissioner for Works, Mr Gerald Otti During the flag-off of Premier Layout in Enugu on Thursday (12/10/23).27510/12/10/2023/Mike Agada/MO/NAN
Spread the love

…issues 20-day ultimatum on all ongoing projects

Following the directive of Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State insisting that all ongoing urban road projects must be completed immediately, the Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Engr. Gerald Otiji, has read the riot act to all the construction firms, warning that failure to meet the deadline given to them would attract sanctions in line with the laws of the land and their contract terms.

The commissioner further issued a 20-day ultimatum to the construction companies to speed up all the ongoing phase one road projects across the state by mobilising for day and night work.He threatened that companies that were unable to meet up with their targets would be blacklisted and therefore wouldn’t be able to secure any subsequent jobs in the state.Gerald issued this warning on Tuesday when he inspected some of the road construction sites in the state capital, stressing that completion deadlines remained sacrosanct.
Enugu Works Commissioner reads riot act to construction firms

• Enugu State Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Engr. Gerald Otiji (third) with officials of some construction firms during the road inspection on Tuesday.

He, however, commended some of the engineering firms that had already completed their jobs. They include contractors that handled the Phone Village Road, Fire Service, New Haven Market Road, College Road, Dayspring/Lagos Street, Police College, Agbani Road, among others.

He said the governor was determined to ensure that all roads are connected to ease movement of persons and goods.

Speaking at the Premier Layout, Enugu, the Commissioner warned that contractors had no excuses for the delay in some of the projects since the government had already paid them.

“We are making it very clear that it is unacceptable to our government the slow pace at which some of these construction firms are going with their works. Even though they have been doing impressive quality job, we want them to double their efforts and deliver within time.

“I have just reminded them the consequences of not meeting up with the timeline pegged for them at the inception of the contract. We have paid them. So, they have no excuses to make.

“We will be tracking their progress daily because I have instructed them for daily report.

“Let me quickly commend those that have already completed their jobs. We have visited some of the roads, and both the government and the people of the state are impressed with the good jobs on the ground. We have been receiving feedback from road users and residents across the state extolling the projects.

Advertisement

“Gentlemen, you just witnessed my conversations with these contractors, and the ultimatum given to them. They have promised to commence doing these works both day and night. Don’t forget that the governor promised the people of urban renewal, access roads, ease of doing business through infrastructural revolution. That is what we are seeing today in the state.

“The governor has already declared a state of emergency on the area of infrastructure, and on our part, we must ensure the administration achieves everything contained in the Social Contract with our people,” the commissioner further said.

He called on the people to join the governance process through monitoring the process activated by the government by ensuring they report acts of sabotage, vandalism and suspected attempt to subvert the peace of the state through any of the channels of communications made available by the government.

When Mbah flagged off construction of 71 urban roads…

Recall that Governor Peter Mbah had four months after assuming office  flagged off construction of 71 urban roads and gave December 2023 as completion date.He also flagged off construction work on the 40 kilometre road linking Owo, in Nkanu East Council, with Isiuzo, in Isiuzo Council, to Obollo, in Nsukka Council of the state.Mbah during the flag off of construction of the  two kilometre Premier Layout Road, stated that the funds for the projects had been secured, adding that the state government would stick to the time frame for the projects.

He said: “As you know, we will not be able to go to all the roads one after the other to flag off the construction, but this is consistent with the promise we made to the people of Enugu, and also consistent with the contract we executed on our first day of office to deliver a people focused governance. For us, this is essentially what the government is designed to do; to bring governance closer to the people and to provide infrastructure.”

He said the first phase of the project would cover 26 square kilometres comprising the Happy Island, the Vitality Bay, and the Innovation Park in line with the purposes the New City is to serve.

Also flagging off the construction of the 40km Owo-Ubahu-Amankanu- Neke-Ikem dual carriageway, the governor said the new government was bent on constructing at least 10,000km of roads in the next eight years to open the space for investors and make life better for Enugu people.

Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Engr. Gerald Otiji

Advertisement
Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Kogi Election: Appeal Court reserves judgment in SDP, Ajaka’s appeal against Ododo
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Peter Obi should be held responsible for anarchy arising from August 1 hunger protest – Presidency

Published

on

Bayo Onanuga
Spread the love

Bayo Onanuga, a senior to President Bola Tinubu, has alleged that supporters Mr Peter Obi, former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, LP, are planning mayhem in Nigeria.

Onanuga claimed that the proposed nationwide protests were being planned by Obi’s supporters, whom he described as failed presidential candidate.

According to him, Obi should be held responsible for whatever crisis that would emanate from the action.

In a post on his X handle on Saturday, Onanuga said the proposed protest planners are also the same people who were instigated by the incarcerated IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu to launch the destructive ENDSARS protest in Nigeria in October 2020.

He wrote: “REVEALED: Peter Obi’s supporters are the people planning mayhem in Nigeria: Obi should be held responsible for anarchy

“Don’t be fooled: the malcontents planning to stage nationwide protests are supporters of Peter Obi, the failed presidential candidate of the Labour Party. And he should be held responsible for whatever crisis emanates from the action.

“The protest planners are also the same people who were instigated by IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu to launch the destructive ENDSARS protest in Nigeria in October 2020. ENDSARS began as a genuine protest by youths against the Police Special Anti-Robbery Squad, notorious for its high-handedness. IPOB members planning to extricate the South East region from Nigeria infiltrated the protest and hijacked it for their own agenda. Lagos still bears the scar of the malicious destruction by IPOB elements until today.

“Two years after ENDSARS, the IPOB and the gullible innocents joined the Labour Party in 2022 to support Peter Obi, a sympathiser of their cause.

Advertisement

They are the people spreading the hashtags ‘EndBadGovernance’, ‘Tinubu Must Go,’ and ‘Revolution2024’. They are not democrats but anarchists. They are attempting to call out our people via propaganda because their Messiah, Peter Obi, failed to win the Presidency in the 2023 election. As bad losers, they don’t have the patience to wait for another election in 2027; they would rather destabilise Nigeria by staging a civilian coup against President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Nigeria’s economy can be turned around in months — Dangote
Continue Reading

News

Two brothers drown in FCT River

Published

on

Two brothers drown in FCT River
•The river behind the village
Spread the love
Two brothers, Joshua and Samson, have drowned in a river in Robukya community in Kwali Ward in Kuje Area Council of the FCT.

A relation of the deceased, Musa Abednego, who confirmed the incident to our reporter on Thursday, said it happened on Tuesday around 9am while they were crossing the river.

He said the brothers, Joshua and Samson, were between the ages of nine and 12 and that they were on their way to the farm when the incident happened.

He explained that the victims got drowned following a heavy rainfall which made the river to overflow.

He said, “Their father asked them to hold on after the rain subsided. Unfortunately, they left home to the farm without him knowing.”

Abednego said their corpses were recovered on Wednesday around 4pm through the help of some fishermen, adding they had been buried.

The spokeswoman of the FCT Police Command, SP Josephine Adeh, was yet to speak on the incident.                                              Daily Trust

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  JAMB to announce cut-off marks, July 18
Continue Reading

News

CBN intervenes in foreign exchange market

Published

on

CBN intervenes in foreign exchange market
Central Bank of Nigeria
Spread the love
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has started selling foreign exchange on a regular basis through Authorised Dealer Banks and licensed Bureaux De Change (BDCs) as a response to the current fluctuations in the foreign exchange market.

These fluctuations are primarily caused by the demand pressure coming from corporate entities and the seasonal increase typical during the summer period.

By implementing regular sales of foreign exchange, the CBN aims to stabilise the market and ensure smoother transactions for both businesses and individuals involved in foreign exchange activities.

Director, Financial Markets Department of the CBN Dr Omolara Omotunde Duke in a statement on Friday night assured the public of the bank’s commitment to address the demand pressure and stabilize the foreign exchange market.

Highlighting recent transactions, the CBN disclosed that it sold a total sum of US$106,500,000.00 to 29 authorized dealer banks on Thursday, July 18 and Friday, July 19, 2024.

These transactions took place within an exchange rate range of N1,498.00/US$1 to N1,530.00/US$1. Additionally, the CBN purchased US$9,500,000 (Nine Million and Five Hundred Thousand Dollars) from four authorized dealer banks at rates between N1,510.00/US$1 and N1,550.00/US$1. All these transactions are marked for settlement on July 19, 2024.

The Central Bank also stated its commitment to closely monitor compliance with existing trading rules and regulations by authorized dealer banks. This is seen as an effort to promote ethical conduct and ensure stability in the foreign exchange market.

The general public was also advised to direct their foreign exchange demands to their respective banks and BDC operators, adhering to prevailing market regulations.

SEE ALSO:  Kaduna Doctor's son killed over N300m ransom demand, wife, 3 children still held by kidnappers

With the regular sale of foreign exchange and ongoing monitoring of trading practices, the CBN aims to meet demand pressure, foster stability, and sustain a well-functioning foreign exchange market.

Advertisement
Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending