
News
Police Service Commission asks FG to stop 10,000 constables salaries
The Police Service Commission has asked the Accountant-General of the Federation to halt the capture of 10,000 constables who recently graduated from police training colleges on the Integrated Payroll and Personnel System.
The commission stated that the police officers had not been issued their letters of appointment and should not be enrolled on the payment portal.
According to the Public Service Rules, public officers not captured on the IPPIS cannot be paid salaries and other emoluments.
The development followed the alleged refusal of the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, to submit their names to the PSC for vetting on the grounds that he was empowered by the Police Act, 2020 to recruit constables into the force.
The commission has also written to President Muhammadu Buhari and the Head of Service, Folasade Yemi-Esan about the enrolment of 20,000 police officers on the salary portal without letters of appointment.

The personnel were recruited in 2020 and 2021.
The face-off between the police authorities and the commission is a spill-over of their supremacy fight over the right to recruit constables.
Though the Court of Appeal September 30, 2020 ruled that the commission had the constitutional mandate to recruit constables, the NPF had gone ahead with the recruitment process in defiance of the court order.
Last year, the police appealed against the judgment to the Supreme Court, two years after the order was handed down.
Before its appeal and in spite of the court order restraining the police from conducting constables’ recruitment, the authorities had recruited a total of 10,000 constables in the 2020 recruitment exercise.
In 2020 and 2021, two batches of 20,000 cops were recruited without the active involvement of the PSC under a former IG, Musiliu Smith, who resigned in September, 2022, on the grounds of ill-health.
The Commissioner 1 in the PSC, Justice Clara Bata Ogunbiyi, a retired Justice of the Supreme Court, replaced Smith in acting capacity pending the appointment of a new chairman by the President.
2022 exercise
The 2022 exercise has been in limbo after the police and the commission clashed when the former disowned the newspaper advertisement on the recruitment placed by the PSC.
The PUNCH learnt that protests by the police service commission last year about the illegality of the IPPIS enrolment were waved aside by the unit which had also concluded the capturing of the 2021 exercise.
It was gathered that the police authorities had successfully captured the 2020 and 2021 recruits despite the refusal of the PSC to authorise their enrolment on the Federal Government payment portal due to the disagreement between the police and the commission.
Among other requirements, a staff letter or gazette of first appointment is required for enrolment on IPPIS.
Sources disclosed that the commission complained about the development to the President and the HoS last year, but nothing was done about it as the constables were paid their salaries.
A senior official said, “The officers were enrolled on the IPPIS platform despite the refusal of the PSC to issue appointment letters to them.
“So far, the Federal Government has enrolled 20,000 police constables who have no appointment letters on its salary payment portal in violation of its financial regulations and the Public Service Rules.
“Last year, we wrote to the Accountant-General and the IPPIS to stop the salaries of the constables, but this was not done. This is the second time we have complained to the government about this illegality. The police usually send their officials to the training colleges to enrol the constables on the IPPIS without the appointment letters.’’
When asked about the enrolment of constables on the IPPIS without the required documents, the Head of Communications, Head of Service, Mohammed Ahmed, said only the IPPIS department could respond to the issue.
“How can you enrol somebody on the platform that is not qualified?,’’ he said in a shocked voice. ‘’It is when you come to the office and meet the IPPIS people; I’m not with the IPPIS. Come and ask them any questions you have,’’ he added.
The PUNCH could not confirm if the Accountant-General’s office had implemented the PSC request on suspension of salaries to the police officers as a new accountant- general had yet to be appointed. Also, the office has no spokesperson.
Meanwhile, the IG has dismissed the PSC’s request for the constables’ lists.
He told the commission in a letter dated January 13, 2023 that he was empowered by the Police Act, 2020 to recruit constables, stressing that the enlisted officers did not need appointment letters but attestation.
But the commission in its response again asked the IG to submit the list of newly recruited constables for vetting after which they would be issued appointment letters.
It cautioned him to stop the capturing of persons unknown to the PSC into the salary platform.
PSC writes IG
The letter dated January 17, 2023, was titled, ‘Re: Request to stop the capturing of persons who are unknown to the Police Service Commission into IPPIS payment platform as Police Officers.’
It was signed by the Director, Recruitment, Ferdinand Ekpe, on behalf of the Permanent Secretary/Secretary to the commission.
The agency reminded the IG of the subsisting decision of the Court of Appeal judgment in suit no. CA/A/84/2020 dated September 30, 2020 which it reproduced.
The letter stated in part, “Particularly worthy of note is the order of perpetual injunction restraining the police, jointly and severally, from interfering or further interfering in any manner howsoever with the discharge of the commission’s Constitutional and statutory functions in respect of the appointment, promotion, dismissal, or exercise of disciplinary control over persons holding or aspiring to hold offices in the Nigeria Police Force other than the Inspector General of Police.
“In addition to paragraph (4) above, based on precedence and the law, only an appointment letter issued by PSC can validate the appointment of any police officer into the Nigeria Police Force and subsequent capturing into the IPPIS payment platform to earn any form of emolument from the Federal Government of Nigeria. (Letters were issued to the 2016, 2018 and 2019 police constables) and used for enrolment into the IPPIS payment platform.
“Furthermore, you are invited to recall that preceding the enrolment of all police officers into the IPPIS payment platform from the year 2016, all those who had no appointment letters from the commission had to be revalidated by the commission as a prerequisite for capturing into the IPPIS payment platform and qualification to earn salaries legitimately.
“It is a standard practice that as oversight body on NPF, the PSC’s letters must be used to validate the candidates and confirm their enlistment into the Nigeria Police Force before they can be enrolled into the IPPIS payment platform, hence our several letters to you requesting for the lists of police constables who were recruited into the 2020 and 2021 exercises. The lists, which for unknown reasons, you have failed to produce.
“Finally, Transparency and Accountability which are the twin pillars of anti- corruption and the core values of the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration, demands that the above due processes must be respected and upheld by the NPF as the Chief Law Enforcement Agency in Nigeria.’’
Several PSC officials have expressed apprehension over the refusal of the police to release the constables’ lists, citing security concerns and likely non-compliance with the Federal Character law.
“It is obvious that the recruitment was not based on the requisite criteria and that is why they wouldn’t want to release the list to the PSC. It was supposed to be on the equality of local government areas at 10 persons per LG.
‘’Many LGs and states were short-changed and there were some disturbing reports and viral videos that suspected Boko Haram elements and other outlaws might have found their way into the police through the recruitment,’’ an official said.
Commission justifies letter
But the PSC spokesman, Ikechukwu Ani, justified the PSC’s letter to the IG. “The commission feels that the constables must have their letters of appointment before they can be captured on IPPIS. I believe the commission did the right thing by insisting on the letters.”
He, however, said he was not aware of the letter to the accountant-general.
But top source, in the commission said, ,”We wrote to the accountant-general and also to the head of service and I think the head of service asked the IPPIS to stop capturing the constables and without the IPPIS capture, you cannot be paid salaries.”
The force spokesman, Muyiwa Adejobi, could not be reached for comments on the alleged refusal of the police to provide the lists of constables for vetting.
He did not respond to calls to his phone and he had yet to reply to a text message sent to his phone as of the time of filing this report.
A lawyer, Dr Daniel Makolo, said he was not shocked by the police refusal to obey the court judgment, noting that the impunity in the country started seven years ago.
He stated, “Nigeria has been on autopilot for the past seven years. This government started with lawlessness, without regard for the constitution. So, I’m not surprised that the IG could disobey the order of the Court of Appeal.
“The impunity in the country has extended to all sectors. We are in a country where the CBN could give loans to the Federal Government in violation of the extant laws regulating such loans. We are in a country where the Federal Character law is not respected. So, for the IG to enrol 20,000 constables on the IPPIS without appointment letters; only God knows how many constables were recruited.’’
PUNCH
News
Troops foil mass abduction attempt, rescue nine civilians
Troops of Joint Task Force North West Operation FANSAN YAMMA (JTF NW OPFY) foiled an attempted mass abduction by terrorists in Unguwar Rogo Village, Kaura Namoda Local Government Area of Zamfara State, rescuing nine civilians, including an infant.
The incident occurred on 16 August 2026, when troops received a distress call that terrorists, believed to be led by suspected kingpin Mallam Shuaibu, had infiltrated the community and attacked civilians travelling along a local route.
Preliminary intelligence indicates that the attack may have been carried out in reprisal for the recent arrest of suspected collaborators linked to the terrorist network. The suspects had earlier been intercepted by troops while attempting to procure motorcycles and Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) in support of the terrorists’ activities.
In an apparent attempt to retaliate and abduct civilians, the terrorists concealed themselves within a millet farm along the route and opened fire on passing vehicles, causing some drivers to lose control and veer off the road.
Responding swiftly to the distress call, troops of Sector 2 moved to the area and decisively engaged the terrorists, denying them the opportunity to carry out the abduction. Faced with the troops’ superior response, the terrorists abandoned their mission and fled into the surrounding forest.

Following the engagement, troops rescued nine civilians, including an infant. Two women who sustained gunshot wounds during the terrorists’ attack were promptly evacuated for medical attention and are currently receiving treatment.
Operation FANSAN YAMMA remains resolute in its determination to deny terrorists and other criminal elements the freedom to attack innocent citizens. The Joint Task Force will continue to sustain pressure on terrorist networks while taking all necessary measures to protect lives and restore lasting peace and security across the North West region.
News
Edo Assembly Speaker Blessing Agbebaku resigns
The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has reportedly stepped down from his position.
His resignation came as reports emerged that some lawmakers were working on plans to impeach him from the speakership.
Agbebaku became Speaker of the 8th Edo State House of Assembly in June 2023 after lawmakers elected him to lead the chamber.
The former Speaker was originally
elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
However, he later moved to the All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2025, joining other political figures who changed parties as political alignments in Edo continued to change.

His reported resignation comes as political activities begin to build ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The development is likely to lead to new discussions among lawmakers and political leaders over who will take over the leadership of the Assembly.
The resignation could also affect the balance of power within the House, especially as lawmakers consider the next person to lead the chamber.
Members of the Assembly are expected to meet and take the necessary steps toward filling the vacant Speaker position.
The reason behind Agbebaku’s decision to leave office has not been made public.
It is also not yet clear whether his resignation is connected to recent political developments within the state or other issues involving the Assembly.
More information is expected to emerge as lawmakers react to the development and begin discussions on the next leadership of the Edo State House of Assembly.
News
Sheikh Jingir: Christianity not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria — Pastor Enenche
• Says security agencies must act against provocative religious remarks
Senior Pastor of Dunamis International Gospel Centre, Pastor Paul Enenche, has declared that Christianity is not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria, while condemning comments linked to Islamic cleric Sheikh Yahya Jingir.
Speaking during the church’s Sunday service at its headquarters in Abuja, Enenche reacted strongly to the controversy generated by Jingir’s recent remarks, insisting that Christians could not be regarded as inferior to adherents of any other faith in the country.
The cleric described the suggestion that Christianity was secondary to another religion as unacceptable, arguing that Christians are present in large numbers across every part of Nigeria.
Enenche also warned against taking the Christian community for granted, maintaining that the church remains a significant force in the nation.
He criticised security agencies for failing to invite Islamic cleric, Sheikh Muhammad Jingir, over his recent comments advocating a Muslim-Muslim political arrangement in Nigeria.

According to Enenche, security agencies should have acted against statements capable of provoking religious tension and violence in the country.
The pastor described as unacceptable the suggestion that Christianity should be regarded as subordinate to any other religion in Nigeria, insisting that Christians constitute a significant part of the country’s population.
He said, “Christianity is not secondary, and no group of religious fanatics will ever make it secondary. Not you, not any political group of people will ever make Christianity secondary to any.”
Enenche also questioned why security agencies had not invited the cleric for questioning over his comments, arguing that allowing individuals to make what he described as reckless statements without consequence could threaten national peace.
He said, “I blame security forces for allowing people to make reckless statements. You allow them still moving on the road, allow them still moving, not knowing that such a statement can incite instant violence.”
The pastor added that authorities should have taken steps to establish whether the comments could incite violence, rather than allowing the speaker to continue making such statements publicly.
“People are messing up and destroying the nation; they are walking free of charge, and they are talking,” he said.
Enenche further warned against taking the Christian community for granted, saying Christians had remained calm despite what he described as provocative statements.
“Nobody should take the church in this nation for granted. Don’t take the church for granted,” he said.
His comments followed controversy generated by the Chairman of the Ulama Council of Jama’atu Izalatil Bid’ah Wa’ikamatis Sunnah, Sheikh Muhammad Jingir, who recently advocated the continued adoption of a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket.
Jingir had, at a special wedding reception organised by the Kano State Government for 1,500 couples whose weddings it sponsored, urged Muslims to vote in a manner that would demonstrate their numerical strength.
Amid reactions to his comments, Jingir told the BBC that he had no regret over his advocacy for a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket, stressing that he had held the position long before the administration of President Bola Tinubu.
The comments have attracted reactions from various quarters, including the National Coordinator of the Obidient Movement Worldwide, Yunusa Tanko, and Nigeria’s Ambassador-designate to South Africa, Femi Fani-Kayode.
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: Adeleke wins 19 LGs, APC’s Oyebamiji secures 11 LGs
-
Politics2 days agoOsun: The mourning after By Festus Adedayo
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov election
-
News2 days agoSheikh Jingir: Christianity not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria — Pastor Enenche
-
News2 days agoWanted banditry kingpin, Ado Aleru, attends fresh ‘peace talks’ with Katsina community residents
-
News2 days agoOsun: When the people stand, democracy wins, says Obi, congratulates Adeleke
-
News2 days ago‘Tinubu has called me, congratulated me,’ Adeleke says after Osun Re-election Victory
-
News3 days ago#OsunDecides: Adeleke takes early lead with 177,572 votes in ongoing collation




