Connect with us

International

Veteran BBC journalist Stephen Grimason who broke news of the historic Good Friday Agreement in 1998 dies aged 67

Published

on

Veteran BBC journalist Stephen Grimason who broke news of the historic Good Friday Agreement in 1998 dies aged 67
• The veteran BBC journalist Stephen Grimason has died aged 67 after a long battle with cancer
Spread the love
  • Stephen Grimason died following a long battle with cancer
  • He left the BBC to become Stormont’s director of communications until 2016

The veteran BBC journalist Stephen Grimason who broke news of the historic  Good Friday Agreement in April 1998 has died aged 67.

The former BBC Northern Ireland political editor passed away following a long-term battle with cancer.

Following his iconic three-decade-long career in journalism, Grimason, originally from Lurgan, Co Armagh, later went on to work for the Stormont administration as director of communications.

He spoke publicly over the last year about his fight against cancer and said he received well wishes from former Prime Minister Tony Blair among others.

In an interview in January when he, along with former UTV political editor Ken Reid, was honoured with the Chancellor’s Medal for services to journalism, he described leaving it as ‘a bit of a wrench’, recalling ‘being surrounded by tremendous people’.

The icon is widely remembered for breaking the news of the Good Friday Agreement in April 1998 and reporting on The Troubles

• The icon is widely remembered for breaking the news of the Good Friday Agreement in April 1998 and reporting on The Troubles

Maduka College Advert

Looking back, he said he had a ‘seat at the table for an awful lot of pretty dramatic Executive meetings’ in the 2000s.

Grimason cut his teeth working in local newspapers including the Lurgan Mail, the Ulster Star in Lisburn and Banbridge Chronicle, as well as regional papers, the former Sunday News newspapers and the News Letter.

At just 27-years-old, Grimason had become the editor of the Banbridge Chronicle.

Later, after 12 years in newspaper journalism, he applied for a job at the BBC in Northern Ireland.

‘There were something like 300 of us (who applied) and two of us got jobs – so I must have bluffed my way rightly,’ he said of that time.

Speaking in January at Queen’s University around the then political stalemate, Grimason noted the ‘tide of Irish and Northern Irish politics goes in and out’, adding: ‘If you’re not careful and you don’t lead, you’ll be left on the beach.’

He also spoke of covering some of the darkest days of the Troubles, including atrocities within days in January 1992 – an IRA bomb which killed eight construction workers at Teebane, Co Tyrone, and the killing of five people by loyalists at the Sean Graham bookmakers on the Ormeau Road in Belfast.

‘I was the first reporter at Teebane. In the end, I think that the big success of the peace process was that actually peace, or an imperfect version of it, did win through,’ he said.

When Grimason memorably broke the news of the peace deal which helped end the troubles, he declared on television: ‘I have it in my hand’.

Stephen Grimason, who was the BBC NI political editor in 1998, re-enacts the moment he broke the news to the TV audience that the Good Friday Agreement was across the line

• Stephen Grimason, who was the BBC NI political editor in 1998, re-enacts the moment he broke the news to the TV audience that the Good Friday Agreement was across the line
Former UTV political editor Ken Reid (left) and former BBC Northern Ireland political editor Stephen Grimason (right) at the Queen's University in Belfast where they were honoured with the Chancellor's Medal for services to journalism

• Former UTV political editor Ken Reid (left) and former BBC Northern Ireland political editor Stephen Grimason (right) at the Queen’s University in Belfast where they were honoured with the Chancellor’s Medal for services to journalism

Ken Reid (left) and Stephen Grimason (right) at Queen's University in Belfast

• Ken Reid (left) and Stephen Grimason (right) at Queen’s University in Belfast

Grimason was described as a ‘brilliant political editor’ by former Northern Ireland presenter Noel Thompson, BBC reported.

‘He had the two most important attributes for the job. He loved the gossip – the inside track – and he loved to share it with the rest of us,’ he said.

‘His biggest scoop was of course getting hold of a copy of the Good Friday Agreement before any of the hundreds of other journalists camped out at Stormont.

”I have it in my hand’ he told me live on air, with justifiable pride and excitement. It’s one of the key journalistic moments of the last 30 or 40 years.’

Grimason left the BBC to become Stormont’s new director of communications, a role he held until 2016.

He suffered heartache in 2022, when his younger brother Darryl, who was also a BBC journalist ad presenter, passed away.

Adam Smyth, director of BBC Northern Ireland, also paid tribute to Grimason following his shock death.

He said: ‘Stephen Grimason possessed the special talents that only the very best editors and correspondents exhibit – the audience always came away from his broadcasts feeling they knew and understood the political landscape better, and they trusted what he had to say.

‘Stephen’s list of contacts and sources was so extensive he regularly seemed to be one step ahead of everyone else – including the politicians.

‘His contribution to BBC Northern Ireland is deeply appreciated and we offer our sincerest condolences to Stephen’s family.’

Ken Reid wrote on X, formerly Twitter: ‘Stephen Grimason, my dear friend, has died.

‘He showed enormous courage against the odds right to very end. In over 40 years of friendship and rivalry we never exchanged a cross word.

‘Lucky to have spent time with him in his last days. Sleep well my friend’.

Outside of work, Grimason was reportedly an avid golfer and a keen rugby and football fan, and passionate about Chelsea FC.  (Daily Mail)

International

Security Alert: CCTV Footage of White House shooting suspect released By Trump goes viral

Published

on

The suspect
Spread the love

The President of the United States, Donald Trump, has released CCTV footage and images of a suspect linked to a shooting incident at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in Washington.

The released video, shared shortly before the President spoke to the press, reportedly shows the suspect entering the ballroom of the Washington Hilton and bypassing a security metal detector before armed security personnel moved in to intercept him.

Trump described the individual as a “would-be assassin,” alleging that he was heavily armed and managed to breach a key security checkpoint.

According to BBC reporting, the President said the suspect forced his way past screening procedures while carrying multiple weapons.

Photographs also released by the President show a shirtless man lying face down in a lobby area with his hands restrained behind his back, believed to be the suspect involved.

Authorities confirmed that the suspect is now in custody. Trump also stated that a law enforcement officer was shot during the incident but survived due to wearing a bulletproof vest.

Maduka College Advert

The shooting occurred on Saturday night during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, an annual event attended by journalists, government officials, and other dignitaries.

The incident caused panic at the venue, leading to the evacuation of guests and officials.

Investigations are ongoing to determine the motive behind the attack and how the security breach occurred.

Continue Reading

International

U.S., Iran agree two-week ceasefire as Iran reopens Strait of Hormuz

Published

on

Strait of Hormuz
Spread the love

Iran has confirmed a two-week ceasefire announced by U.S. President Donald Trump, the Tasnim news agency, which is close to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), reported early on Wednesday.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz would be possible for two weeks in coordination with Iran’s armed forces “and with due consideration of technical limitations.”

Trump had made reopening the waterway a condition for the ceasefire and had threatened to target Iran’s energy sector and infrastructure, including bridges, if Tehran failed to comply, setting a deadline of 0000 GMT.

The Strait of Hormuz, crucial to global oil and gas trade, has been largely closed since the United States and Israel launched large-scale attacks on Iran on Feb. 28.

According to a senior U.S. official, Israel will also adhere to what Trump described as a “double sided CEASEFIRE.”

Pakistan, which has mediated between Tehran and Washington, said that an immediate ceasefire between Iran and the US had taken effect.

Maduka College Advert

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif wrote on X that the Islamic Republic of Iran and the U.S., along with their allies, had agreed to an “immediate ceasefire everywhere,” including in Lebanon.

“I warmly welcome the sagacious gesture and extend deepest gratitude to the leadership of both the countries and invite their delegations to Islamabad on Friday … to further negotiate for a conclusive agreement to settle all disputes,” Sharif said.

Trump earlier said Sharif had asked him to refrain from carrying out the threatened attacks.

The U.S. has received a 10-point proposal from Iran and believed it offered a “workable basis” for negotiations, Trump wrote on his platform Truth Social.

According to The New York Times, the plan calls for lifting all sanctions imposed on Iran. (dpa/NAN)

Continue Reading

International

Earthquake kills 8 members of same family in Afghanistan

Published

on

Spread the love
An earthquake that struck Afghanistan overnight killed eight members of the same family in Kabul province, the health ministry said on Saturday.

The 5.8-magnitude quake struck at 8.42 pm (1612 GMT) on Friday at a depth of 186 kilometres (115 miles) at the epicentre in northeastern Badakhshan province, according to the US Geological Survey (USGS).

Shaking was felt in multiple parts of the country, including the capital Kabul, according to AFP journalists.

“In the Gosfand Dara area of Kabul Province, eight members of a family died as a result of the earthquake,” Health Ministry spokesman Sharafat Zaman said in a message to media.

He added that a child aged around two years old was the only survivor from the household and the country’s disaster management agency said the boy had been injured in the tremor.

Afghanistan is frequently jolted by earthquakes, particularly along the Hindu Kush mountain range near where the Eurasian and Indian tectonic plates meet.

In August, a shallow magnitude 6 earthquake wiped out mountainside villages and killed more than 2,200 people in eastern Afghanistan, making it the deadliest tremor in the country’s recent history.

Maduka College Advert

AFP

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert