
News
Enugu raises confidence as Gov Mbah launches Hi-tech Drones, Equipment, Patrol Vans to boost security
…No hiding place for criminals – Enugu Security Trust Fund
…We understand the consequences to S’East if Enugu is left porous – Anglican Bishop
To further boost the security of lives and property, Governor of Enugu State, Dr. Peter Mbah, has inaugurated hi-tech security equipment and patrol vehicles procured by the Enugu State Security Trust Fund, ESSTF.
Items inaugurated were two state-of-the-art drones, 10 Hilux vehicles (4×4), 40 motorcycles, 400 bulletproof vests, and 400 bulletproof helmets.
Inaugurating the items at Government House, Enugu, on Monday, Governor Mbah thanked the Trustees of ESSTF for their commitment to strengthening security in the state, saying that the items would complement the administration’s existing investments in security, including the state-of-the-art Command and Control Centre, AI-enabled surveillance cameras across the state, and over 150 Distress Response Squad vehicles fitted with AI-embedded cameras.

He observed that the administration’s achievements and humongous vision would have come to naught without the security of lives and property, but assured that his government would not rest on its oars and would continue to cooperate with the President Bola Tinubu Administration, which he said was working tirelessly to make sure the country is safe and secure.

“The security challenges we are having are local, and at the state level, we must also play our own role to ensure our localities are safe. So, these items will be deployed to ensure Enugu State remains the safest state in this country.
“We can confidently say that violent crimes have been reduced by over 80 per cent in Enugu State today. But as you know, we are not resting on our laurels because the criminals and bad elements we are dealing with are not resting, but are looking for any opportunity to breach our security.

“Security is one sector you may have scored 90 per cent, but just one breach can undermine all the successes you have accomplished. That is why we must invest heavily in equipment and infrastructure that enable us to nip crime in the bud and act quickly when one has been committed. That is why today’s event is reinforcing,” Mbah stated.
Earlier in his remarks, the Chairman of ESSTF, Ike Chioke, who was represented by a member of the ESSTF Board of Trustees, Nath Udeh, said there was no longer any hiding place for criminals, adding that the inaugurated items would boost the governor’s efforts to position Enugu as the safest state to live and invest in.

He assured that ESSTF would do more, noting that the drastic improvement in security under the Mbah Administration was visible in the number of visitors and businesses presently coming into the state.
“Despite the number of flights now coming into Enugu, if you do not book on time, you do not get a seat. That tells you the amount of traffic now coming into Enugu. Some companies also want to have their retreats and a couple of assignments here in Enugu. These are signs to show that there is something nice happening here,” he added.

Throwing more light on the security items, the Executive Secretary of ESSTF, Engr. Chinedu Ani, explained that the two Vertical Take-off and Landing (VTOL) drones would enable operations in any kind of terrain, as they would not need a runway to take off.
“The drones also have a coverage and a range of 100km and as far as I know, from this spot (Command and Control Centre), which is where we normally take off, the longest air distance in Enugu here is 90km. So, it has the capability to go beyond Enugu State. And also, we can cruise at 120km per hour. They are quite fast.
“Each drone has several cameras, including thermal camera, night vision and daytime vision. Those cameras can zoom up to so many kilometres from the position of the drone. So, it is a very powerful equipment that has a lot of technologies. The cameras are also AI-equipped. So, they can do a lot of analysis. With the drones, we now have additional capability to track suspects, vehicles, and human beings anywhere within the state,” he explained.
A Trustee of ESSTF and the Anglican Bishop of Enugu Diocese, Rt. Rev. Onyekachi Onyia, justified the heavy investment in security, highlighting the state’s strategic place in the security and stability of the entire South East and the defunct Eastern Region.
“We know the consequences of leaving Enugu porous. If terrorists are able to get through Enugu, the South East is finished. It will not end well,” he stated.
Business
AFRAA welcomes Enugu Air, strengthens Nigeria’s Domestic Aviation growth
The African Airlines Association (AFRAA) has admitted Enugu Air as Member, extending the Association’s membership base in Nigeria’s fast-growing domestic aviation market and reaffirming AFRAA’s commitment to supporting the continued development of African carriers across the continent.
This was announced by AFRAA in Nairobi on Wednesday, making Enugu Air the 50th Member of the association, joining the AFRAA airline fraternity, collectively representing more than 85 per cent of total international traffic carried by African airlines.
Speaking on the occasion, AFRAA Secretary General, Mr. Abdérahmane Berthé, said, “We are delighted to welcome Enugu Air into the AFRAA fraternity.

“As a state-backed carrier serving Nigeria’s rapidly expanding domestic market, Enugu Air represents the kind of homegrown investment that is vital to building resilient air connectivity across our continent.

“We look forward to supporting the airline through the IOSA certification process and to its continued growth within the AFRAA membership, as we work together to advance the cause of unified African skies.”
Reacting to the development, the CEO of Enugu, Capt Tolu Ita, described the admission into AFRAA as a major milestone in the airline’s short history.
“We are honoured to join the AFRAA fraternity. This membership underscores Enugu Air’s commitment to safe, reliable, and affordable air travel for Nigerians while contributing to the vision of a unified African aviation market.
“We look forward to collaborating with fellow AFRAA members and leveraging the association’s support as we grow our network and pursue IOSA certification,” Tolu stated.
Founded on July 7, 2025, Enugu Air commenced commercial operations with a fleet of Embraer E170/E190/E195 aircraft.
The airline, which has its headquarters in Enugu and operates from the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, currently serves nine domestic destinations including Enugu, Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kano and Benin City.
As part of the airline’s growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.
As part of its growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.
The admission of Enugu Air aligns with AFRAA’s strategic priorities and strengthens the voice of the association. Nigeria, as Africa’s most populous nation and one of its fastest-growing economies, remains central to the realization of a truly integrated African aviation market.
Meanwhile, founded in Accra, Ghana, in April 1968, and headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, AFRAA’s mission is to promote, serve African Airlines and champion Africa’s aviation industry.
The association envisions a sustainable, interconnected and affordable air transport industry in Africa, where African airlines become key players and drivers of African economic development.
AFRAA membership cuts across the entire continent and includes all the major intercontinental African operators.
The association’s members represent over 85% of total international traffic carried by African airlines.
News
Aiyedatiwa appoints 1,004 aides, picks commissioner, three advisers
Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has approved a fresh round of appointments involving a commissioner, three Special Advisers and 1,000 other aides.
The appointments comprise 90 Senior Special Assistants and 910 Special Assistants, with the governor saying the move is intended to reinforce his administration and improve its reach across the state.
Erelu Taibat Yemi Oloruntoba, from Akoko North-West Local Government Area, has been nominated as Commissioner for Special Duties. Her nomination has been transmitted to the state House of Assembly for consideration and confirmation.
The governor also appointed Hon. Abimbola Fajolu as Special Adviser on Environment, Chief Ade Adeniyi as Special Adviser on Rural and Community Development, and Mr Muyiwa Ogunyemi as Special Adviser on Transport.
Among those named as Senior Special Assistants are Erelu Toyin Ogungbure, Women Mobilisation (South); Bidemi Obayangbon, Forestry; Gboluge Olufunmi Alex, Community Engagement (South); Hon. Akin Adeniyi, Community Engagement (Central); and Obayan Theophilus Ayodeji, Community Engagement (North).

Others include Kelvin Solomon, Students Affairs; Adeolu Iwakun, Volunteer Services; Samson Job Bazuaye, Oil and Gas; Fade Ojamomi, Youth Empowerment and Job Creation; Sam Adepoju, Public Engagement; and Alhaji Samad Orijeminiyi, Scholarship.
Also appointed are Victor Omodara, Grassroots Mobilisation; Abayomi Adefolalu, Photography; and Alhaji Abdukadiri Adenoyi, Prince Nzuoma Egbulefu and Alhaji Garba Goni, all for Non-Indigenes.
News
40 feared dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto
About 40 people are suspected to have lost their lives after a boat carrying farmers to their rice farms capsized in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
The incident occurred while the victims were crossing a stream to access their farms.
An eyewitness said more than 70 people were on the boat when it capsized shortly after taking off.
The village head was among those on board but he was reportedly rescued.
“So far, we have recovered about 40 bodies, while six people, including the village head, were rescued,” a local journalist who was at the scene, Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, told our reporter.

According to him, the victims comprised farm owners and labourers who had been engaged to harvest rice.
“The canoe capsized shortly after take-off. Rescue operations are still ongoing, with local divers searching for those still missing and recovering bodies,” he said. (Daily Trust)
-
News1 day agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
International1 day agoCanada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
-
Uncategorized1 day ago2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin
-
News1 day agoLagos shuts churches over noise pollution
-
News1 day agoTwo shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
-
News2 days agoWhy I won’t apologise to Okpebholo — Davido
-
News1 day agoEven if Tinubu appoints Seyi as INEC chairman, he’ll be defeated in 2027 — Dalung
-
News2 days agoAccess Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys




