Connect with us

International

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

Published

on

Spread the love

Canada has invited 1,000 candidates through its Express Entry system to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class.

The invitation round was conducted on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, according to the latest ministerial instructions published by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

The department said candidates required a minimum Comprehensive Ranking System score of 523 to receive an invitation.

“Number of invitations issued: 1,000,” the notice stated.

It added that candidates ranked among the first 1,000 eligible foreign nationals in the group were eligible to receive invitations.

Maduka College Advert

The round was conducted at 10:13:44 UTC on August 18, with a tie-breaking rule of August 17, 2026, at 22:09:00 UTC.

The tie-breaking rule means that “If more than one candidate has the lowest score, the cut-off is based on the date and time they submitted their Express Entry profiles.”

The invitations were issued under the Canadian Experience Class, one of the classes managed through Canada’s Express Entry system.

The ministerial instructions, signed by Canada’s Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, Lena Metlege Diab, in Ottawa on August 18, stated that invitations could be issued between August 18 and August 19, 2026.

“Invitations may be issued to eligible foreign nationals who rank among the first 1,000 eligible foreign nationals in the group ranking,” the instructions stated.

Express Entry is Canada’s primary online system for managing permanent residence applications from skilled workers.

It covers three federal economic immigration programs: the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Worker Program, and the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

Candidates create profiles that are ranked using the Comprehensive Ranking System, which awards points for factors including age, education, language ability, work experience, and other human capital attributes.

The highest-ranked candidates are invited to apply in periodic rounds.

The Canadian Experience Class is designed for skilled workers who already have Canadian work experience and wish to become permanent residents. Eligibility generally requires at least one year (1,560 hours) of skilled work experience in Canada within the past three years in occupations under National Occupational Classification TEER categories 0, 1, 2, or 3, along with minimum language proficiency (Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for TEER 0 or 1 jobs, and CLB 5 for TEER 2 or 3).

There is no education requirement and no need to show settlement funds.

Applicants must plan to live outside Quebec.

The August 18 draw followed a pattern of frequent CEC-focused rounds in 2026. A previous Canadian Experience Class draw on August 5 issued 3,000 invitations with a lower CRS cut-off of 516.

The latest round’s reduced volume and higher cut-off of 523 mark one of the more selective CEC invitations so far this year.

As of mid-August 2026, IRCC had already issued well over 113,000 invitations through Express Entry, with a substantial share going to Canadian Experience Class candidates.

International

Thousands begin journey home from Morocco border with Spain

Published

on

Spanish soldiers watch migrants sitting on the pavement prior to escorting them back to Morocco, in Spain’s north Africa’s Ceuta enclave on August 1, 2026. At least 67 people have died in a recent surge of migrant crossings from Morocco to Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta, Spain’s Interior Minister said today. Most of the 60,000 migrants who entered Ceuta over the space of a few days from neighbouring Morocco have already returned to Morocco. (Photo by JORGE GUERRERO / AFP)
Spread the love

Thousands of people turned back from the Spanish enclave of Ceuta and returned to Morocco’s Fnideq began boarding buses home on Friday, with the operation continuing on Saturday, according to AFP journalists at the scene.

A Moroccan source close to the operation told AFP on condition of anonymity that the people sent back by Spain are to be transported home directly by bus or via the railway station in Tangier, 70 kilometres (45 miles) away.

According to the source, the Fnideq border crossing is now “completely secure”, as are the hills overlooking it, from which hundreds of people, mostly young men, had thrown stones at security forces on Friday.

The Spanish government announced on Friday evening that at least 48,000 of the 60,000 people who entered Ceuta in recent days had returned to Morocco.

Late Friday, AFP journalists saw around twenty 54-person-capacity buses depart, for a total of about a thousand people.

Maduka College Advert

Fnideq is a small town of just 70,000 inhabitants, roughly equivalent to the population of the enclave of Ceuta, one of Spain’s two North African enclaves.

The buses were headed for Tangier, Tetouan, or the economic capital Casablanca, all equipped with rail facilities to redirect people who had come from as far away as Marrakech, more than 500 kilometres to the south.

“I heard that buses had arrived to take us back home. Honestly, I just want to see my children again. I regret having come all the way here,” said Rachid Aouchari, 32, from Ksar el Kebir, 170 kilometres from Fnideq, who was turned back from Ceuta during the night from Thursday to Friday.

Until midday Friday, clashes had pitted the security forces against migrants seeking to cross into Spain, either by swimming or on foot along a narrow wall leading to the Ceuta crossing point.

Police responded with water cannons and tear gas against hundreds of young men, arresting dozens of them, according to an AFP journalist.

AFP

Continue Reading

International

US Military F-35B fighter jet crashes, burns

Published

on

Spread the love

A fighter jet crashed and erupted into flames at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in California on Friday, sending smoke billowing into the sky that could be seen from miles away.

The single-seat F-35B Lightning II aircraft from Marine Aircraft Group 11, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, went down short of the runway just before 10 a.m. PT.

“The pilot ejected (and) was transported to a local medical facility in stable condition for evaluation and treatment of non-life-threatening injuries,” according to a statement from the wing.

Airport fire crews sprayed the wreckage with firefighting foam and worked to extinguish a grass fire surrounding the crash site.

“F-35 short final crash,” the Miramar air traffic control tower told firefighters in audio recorded by LiveATC.net. “It appeared that the parachute did deploy … and a pilot ejected.”

Maduka College Advert

The cause of the crash was not immediately clear. Military plane crashes are typically investigated by the military as opposed to civilian crashes which are investigated by the National Transportation Safety Board.

Billed as “the most advanced jet fighter in the world” by its manufacturer, the F-35B is a stealth aircraft that can land like a conventional plane, or vertically, similar to a helicopter. The more than 50-foot-long jet is operated by the US Marines, the United Kingdom and the Italian Air Force. The planes cost about $102 million each, according to the manufacturer.

About 15,000 service members from all branches of the military are based at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, located in San Diego. (CNN)

Continue Reading

International

India’s Education Minister resigns

Published

on

India’s Education Minister, Dharmendra Pradhan
Spread the love

India’s Education Minister, Dharmendra Pradhan, has resigned following days of youth-led demonstrations demanding sweeping reforms to the country’s education system.

Thousands of young people had taken to the streets of New Delhi and other parts of the country under the banner of the social media-driven Cockroach Janta Party, mounting pressure on the government to address their demands and remove Pradhan from office.

The protests, which were largely centred around the Jantar Mantar demonstration site in central New Delhi, intensified during the week as demonstrators attempted to march towards parliament.

Police fired tear gas and used batons against some protesters during the demonstrations.

Announcing his decision, Pradhan said the unrest witnessed over the previous 10 days had caused him concern, stressing that remaining in office was not a matter of personal prestige.

Maduka College Advert

“I am pained to see the events of the past 10 days. This is not a matter of personal prestige for me,” Pradhan said in a statement posted on X.

The minister subsequently confirmed that he had submitted his resignation to the Prime Minister.

“I have sent my resignation letter to the prime minister,” he said in the letter written in Hindi.

Pradhan also acknowledged the importance of young people to India’s development, pledging that their concerns should not be ignored.

“India’s youth power is the real strength of this nation. My resolve is that we will not let the country’s youth get trapped in a vicious cycle of confusion,” he added.

The Indian government had opened negotiations with leaders of the CJP in an attempt to end the demonstrations.

Two rounds of talks were held on Monday and Friday, but the initial negotiations reportedly failed to produce significant progress as the youth-led movement insisted that its demands must be addressed.

The protesters had demanded reforms to the education system alongside Pradhan’s resignation.

The minister announced his resignation ahead of a planned third round of negotiations between government representatives and the protest leaders.

Following Pradhan’s resignation, the CJP announced that its demands had been met after another round of discussions with the government.

The group subsequently called off the protests at Jantar Mantar and other locations.

The demonstrations had attracted thousands of young Indians and gained momentum through social media, putting the government under mounting pressure over the country’s education system.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert