Connect with us

News

CBEX resumes operations as EFCC probes N1.2tn fraud

Published

on

Featured
Spread the love

Despite the alleged N1.2tn digital trading fraud that reportedly affected over 600,000 Nigerians, the embattled Crypto Bridge Exchange trading platform, accused of these acts, has resumed operations, announcing fresh withdrawal options in a move to restore investor confidence.

Two traders on the CBEX platform confirmed Wednesday that the digital trading firm has quietly resumed operations, allowing new users to register, trade, and withdraw profits, despite ongoing investigations by regulatory agencies.

According to the sources, an insurance verification process and an external audit of the company’s financial records are currently underway to ascertain the actual amount lost in the scheme, which collapsed in April.

They added that existing investors, many of whom have been unable to access their funds for weeks, will be able to take out their funds starting from June 25, 2025, when the audit is expected to be concluded by an insurance firm based in the United Kingdom.

This development comes barely weeks after the Securities and Exchange Commission declared the platform illegal, and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission confirmed an ongoing investigation into the firm’s operations.

Maduka College Advert

CBEX, a digital investment platform, offered investors 100 per cent profit after 30 days of purported AI trading. The trading platform started operations in 2024 after receiving registration approval from the Corporate Affairs Commission on September 25, 2024, and the EFCC’s Special Control Unit Against Money Laundering on January 16, 2025.

No fewer than 600,000 Nigerians reportedly invested in the scheme and lost N1.2tn after it collapsed on April 14, 2025.

Miffed by the development, the EFCC declared eight persons wanted for promoting the program. They include Johnson Oteno, Israel Mbaluka, Joseph Michiro, Serah Michiro, Adefowora Olanipekun, Adefowora Oluwanisola, Emmanuel Uko, and Seyi Oloyede.

On Monday, Adefowora Abiodun, a prominent leader and trader on the platform, voluntarily surrendered himself to the anti-graft agency for interrogation.

Other regulatory agencies, such as the SEC, also condemned the operations of the suspected Ponzi scheme, warning Nigerians to exercise extreme caution and steer clear of investment platforms that offer unrealistic returns under the guise of digital trading.

However, in defiance of regulatory warnings, fresh findings by The PUNCH on Wednesday revealed that more Nigerians are still being lured by promises of quick profits, with new users flocking to the platform in hopes of cashing in on its resumed operations.

One of the sources told one of our correspondents in confidence due to lack of authorisation to speak on the matter, that withdrawal options on the CBEX platform had been reactivated, noting that while new accounts could process withdrawals, funds from older accounts—allegedly wiped—remained inaccessible for now.

The trader noted that the platform is making efforts to clear its name of any allegations of fraud or any association as a Ponzi scheme.

The source said, “People can now withdraw from the CBEX platform. The withdrawal option has been activated. Let me explain the withdrawal. The old account was wiped; you can’t take out funds from it yet. On the 14th of this month, the Artificial Intelligence on the platform traded 100 per cent, lost its trade, and wiped people’s money out.

“But now, the promoters are saying that the platform and the CBEX application are insured, with verification of funds ongoing by the insurance company. Now, previous investors who have $1,000 as their capital would have to inject $100, and the former account balance would be restored, while persons with over $1,000 would have to put in $200 to bring back the account balance. And we have started seeing people put in these funds to get back their money, and are using it to trade now, as I talk to you.

“According to the latest information shared, previous investors can only trade but not withdraw because the United Kingdom government is carrying out an audit on their financial account, which will be completed between 30 to 60 days. Hence, the reason why previous investors cannot withdraw their funds yet.

“But from June 25th, you can now withdraw up to 50 per cent of your capital from the old account. For example, if you invested $1,000 and you could only withdraw $200 before, from the 25th, you can withdraw $400 from the remaining $800 capital, then from August 25th, you can withdraw the remaining $400 capital. But if you don’t do the verification, it won’t reflect in your account.”

Another source explained that fresh investors are currently able to register new accounts, fund them, and withdraw profits without restrictions, as the newly created accounts are not subject to ongoing audits.

According to the source, only the old accounts remain under financial review.

The promoters also refute allegations of fraud, insisting that funds remain intact and that the ongoing audit was focused on reconciling discrepancies in old accounts.

“Currently, fresh investors can register a new account, fund it, and withdraw their profit. The new accounts are not under audit. It is the old account that is under review.

“What they are auditing is because the Federal Government said they scammed Nigerians of N1.2tn, and they are insisting that the amount is not up to half of the publicised amount. They are claiming only N126bn was lost, and that is the reason for the audit. But new accounts can now start investing and get their money. There is also a bonus for referrals that you can withdraw immediately, and this is ongoing currently.

“They just want to prove to Nigerians that they are not scammers. It was just because AI traded 100 per cent of the funds that the money was lost. There is a new group where people can say whatever they want to say; they also drop signals for trading three times a day, but it is no longer automated; you have to do it by yourself. They would give you a code; you just have to put it in your account and trade. If you notice any abnormality, you can cancel it. That was how it was before AI started doing the trading,” the source stated.

When questioned on why the audit was not conducted by the Nigerian government, a source explained, “The firm is registered in the United Kingdom, not in Nigeria. They merely extended their operations here. In fact, they also have branches in Kenya, South Africa, and Egypt.”

Similarly, messages sent to a new Telegram group created for information sharing showed that a person could withdraw referral bonuses.

Addressing concerns from interested members in a user group, an admin identified simply as Laura stated that the specific cause of the platform’s issues was still under investigation, adding that the findings of the ongoing probe by the UK government would determine what is eventually made public.

The message read, “There are some factors in the incident on April 14th that I cannot tell you in detail. I can only tell you that Al was attacked and the trading strategy was tampered with.

“This is why some users who did not turn on HOSTING were able to survive. And this attack was definitely not from an individual, because Al’s firewall cannot be easily breached. Including the Bybit hacker incident last month, it was definitely not something that an individual could do. This was an organized and premeditated action.

“The specific cause is under investigation, and we need to wait for the official investigation results of the UK government before we make it public. As for this channel, some scammers affected by ST and online rumour mongers who received donations from scammers deliberately stigmatized the compensation.

“Some rumour mongers even claimed that CBEX administrators transferred more than $800m in assets. These are purely slanderous rumours. An exchange’s payment system can’t have only one common account. The payment system will randomly generate deposit addresses. These are all procedures of the exchange Including any wallet we use now will regularly update the deposit address.”

According to her, users must first accept the claims process initiated by the insurance company linked to the ST Fund firm.

She said, “We need to accept the claims processing of the insurance company that the ST fund company is tied to.”

The process involves verifying the authenticity of each account before any compensation can be issued for losses allegedly caused by the AI-related incident on April 14.

She added that many users have already begun receiving compensation.

“Moreover, the impact of this incident on the Internet has seriously exceeded our expectations. The UK government has also been negotiating with the Nigerian government.

“So the EFCC of Nigeria also contacted the CBEX official yesterday and provided absolute evidence through ST, proving that the ST fund company has indeed compensated users for their losses. You know the EFCC of Nigeria… If they are not absolutely sure, how can they have such courage to say to the public, ‘you will get your money back?’”Efforts to get the EFCC’s spokesman, Dele Oyewale, reaction on the latest development proved abortive. He did not pick up calls to his line and was yet to respond to a message sent to him on the matter.
However in furtherance of its investigation, the anti corruption agency has declared a foreign national, Elie Bitar, wanted for his alleged involvement in a cryptocurrency investment fraud linked to the online trading platform, Crypto Bridge Exchange.

In a bulletin released on Wednesday via the commission’s official social media platforms, the EFCC called on members of the public with useful information about Bitar’s whereabouts to contact any of its offices nationwide or reach out through its hotlines and email.

His last known address, according to the EFCC, is Eng. George Enemoh Crescent, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos.

It read, “The public is hereby notified that ELIE BITAR, whose photograph appears above, is wanted by the EFCC for fraud allegedly perpetrated on an online trading platform called Crypto Bridge Exchange,” the statement read.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit has issued a strong advisory warning Nigerians against engaging in unregulated digital asset investment platforms, many of which exhibit traits of Ponzi and pyramid schemes.

News

2027 Election: Yilwatda apologises to aggrieved Oyo APC members, seeks unity

Published

on

Spread the love

Ahead of the 2027 general elections, the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, has apologised to aggrieved members over perceived wrongs during the party’s internal primaries, saying the National Working Committee (NWC) takes responsibility for such actions.

Yilwatda, who made the disclosure on Thursday in Ibadan during the launch of the APC governorship candidate campaign office in Ibadan, appealed to members who felt hurt, injured, prevented or excluded in any form to forgive the party and remain united ahead of the 2027 general elections.

He said the responsibility extended beyond Oyo State, stressing that the committee that conducted the party’s primaries was constituted by the national leadership and therefore, any mistake committed by it amounted to a mistake by the party.

“This is not for Oyo State alone. Anywhere anybody made a mistake in a state, it is our mistake because the committee was set up by us and they are representing us.

“If anybody is hurt, if anybody is injured, if anybody is prevented or excluded in any form or the other, we take responsibility. On TV, before Nigerians, we take responsibility of all that has happened. I appeal to everybody that we are sorry,” he said.

Maduka College Advert

The APC national chairman urged members at polling units, wards and local government areas across the country to regard the matter as an internal family affair.

Yilwatda assured that the party was taking Oyo State seriously because of its strategic importance and large voting population, second only to Lagos.

Speaking, the APC governorship candidate in Oyo State, Senator Sharafadeen Alli, commended the party’s National Chairman, Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, for fulfilling his promises to the state within two days.

Alli expressed appreciation to Yilwatda for honouring the invitation to meet with governorship aspirants and stakeholders, saying the achievements recorded within the period surpassed what the stakeholders had been able to accomplish.

He said the promises made when the national chairman invited the aspirants had now been fulfilled.

“We cannot thank you enough for what you have come to do. What you have achieved successfully in two days, we have not been able to accomplish,” Alli said.

He assured the national chairman that the party in Oyo would continue to do the needful.

Earlier, mammoth crowd of members and supporters of the All Progressives Congress (APC) gathered in Ibadan on Thursday as the party’s national chairman, Professor Nentawe Yilwatda, officially inaugurated the party’s governorship campaign office in Dandaru, along the Total Garden-Mokola Road, Ibadan.

The inauguration formed part of activities marking the APC National Chairman’s two-day official visit to Oyo State, which commenced on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.

Party members from across the 33 local government areas of the state converged on the venue to witness the official inauguration of the campaign office and welcome the national chairman.

The campaign office will serve as the secretariat of the APC governorship candidate in Oyo State, Senator Sharafadeen Alli.

Continue Reading

Business

AFRAA welcomes Enugu Air, strengthens Nigeria’s Domestic Aviation growth

Published

on

Enugu Air
Spread the love

The African Airlines Association (AFRAA) has admitted Enugu Air as Member, extending the Association’s membership base in Nigeria’s fast-growing domestic aviation market and reaffirming AFRAA’s commitment to supporting the continued development of African carriers across the continent.

This was announced by AFRAA in Nairobi on Wednesday, making Enugu Air the 50th Member of the association, joining the AFRAA airline fraternity, collectively representing more than 85 per cent of total international traffic carried by African airlines.

Speaking on the occasion, AFRAA Secretary General, Mr. Abdérahmane Berthé, said, “We are delighted to welcome Enugu Air into the AFRAA fraternity.

“As a state-backed carrier serving Nigeria’s rapidly expanding domestic market, Enugu Air represents the kind of homegrown investment that is vital to building resilient air connectivity across our continent.

Maduka College Advert

“We look forward to supporting the airline through the IOSA certification process and to its continued growth within the AFRAA membership, as we work together to advance the cause of unified African skies.”

Reacting to the development, the CEO of Enugu, Capt Tolu Ita, described the admission into AFRAA as a major milestone in the airline’s short history.

“We are honoured to join the AFRAA fraternity. This membership underscores Enugu Air’s commitment to safe, reliable, and affordable air travel for Nigerians while contributing to the vision of a unified African aviation market.

“We look forward to collaborating with fellow AFRAA members and leveraging the association’s support as we grow our network and pursue IOSA certification,” Tolu stated.

Founded on July 7, 2025, Enugu Air commenced commercial operations with a fleet of Embraer E170/E190/E195 aircraft.

The airline, which has its headquarters in Enugu and operates from the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, currently serves nine domestic destinations including Enugu, Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kano and Benin City.

As part of the airline’s growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.

As part of its growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.

The admission of Enugu Air aligns with AFRAA’s strategic priorities and strengthens the voice of the association. Nigeria, as Africa’s most populous nation and one of its fastest-growing economies, remains central to the realization of a truly integrated African aviation market.

Meanwhile, founded in Accra, Ghana, in April 1968, and headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, AFRAA’s mission is to promote, serve African Airlines and champion Africa’s aviation industry.

The association envisions a sustainable, interconnected and affordable air transport industry in Africa, where African airlines become key players and drivers of African economic development.

AFRAA membership cuts across the entire continent and includes all the major intercontinental African operators.

The association’s members represent over 85% of total international traffic carried by African airlines.

Continue Reading

News

Aiyedatiwa appoints 1,004 aides, picks commissioner, three advisers

Published

on

Ondo State Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa
Spread the love

Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has approved a fresh round of appointments involving a commissioner, three Special Advisers and 1,000 other aides.

The appointments comprise 90 Senior Special Assistants and 910 Special Assistants, with the governor saying the move is intended to reinforce his administration and improve its reach across the state.

Erelu Taibat Yemi Oloruntoba, from Akoko North-West Local Government Area, has been nominated as Commissioner for Special Duties. Her nomination has been transmitted to the state House of Assembly for consideration and confirmation.

The governor also appointed Hon. Abimbola Fajolu as Special Adviser on Environment, Chief Ade Adeniyi as Special Adviser on Rural and Community Development, and Mr Muyiwa Ogunyemi as Special Adviser on Transport.

Among those named as Senior Special Assistants are Erelu Toyin Ogungbure, Women Mobilisation (South); Bidemi Obayangbon, Forestry; Gboluge Olufunmi Alex, Community Engagement (South); Hon. Akin Adeniyi, Community Engagement (Central); and Obayan Theophilus Ayodeji, Community Engagement (North).

Maduka College Advert

Others include Kelvin Solomon, Students Affairs; Adeolu Iwakun, Volunteer Services; Samson Job Bazuaye, Oil and Gas; Fade Ojamomi, Youth Empowerment and Job Creation; Sam Adepoju, Public Engagement; and Alhaji Samad Orijeminiyi, Scholarship.

Also appointed are Victor Omodara, Grassroots Mobilisation; Abayomi Adefolalu, Photography; and Alhaji Abdukadiri Adenoyi, Prince Nzuoma Egbulefu and Alhaji Garba Goni, all for Non-Indigenes.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert