
News
Epileptic electricity: FG to inject 1,900MW solar power into grid
•Govt sets 8,000MW power goal by 2027, taps private sector for grid expansion
The Federal Government has revealed plans to construct modular solar power plants with a combined capacity of 1,900 megawatts for the 19 northern states, as part of efforts to boost renewable energy adoption and expand the national grid.
It also disclosed its target to generate and distribute about 8,000MW of electricity before the end of President Bola Tinubu’s first term in office in 2027.
The Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, announced this during the sixth edition of the 2025 Ministerial Press Briefing Series held on Thursday in Abuja.
Adelabu said each solar-powered station will produce approximately 100MW of electricity, enabling states to become more energy-independent and reducing reliance on the national grid.
He also stated that the government is pursuing private investment to help expand the grid and improve generation.

The northern region recently faced challenges with a stable power supply due to a surge in vandalism and theft of critical transmission infrastructure.
Last October, vandals destroyed the important 330kV Shiroro-Kaduna power line that supplies the states of Kano and Kaduna, and another line that supplies Bauchi, Gombe, and other parts of the northeast.
This incident led to a month-long blackout in 17 out of 19 northern states in the country. Following the repairs, the governors of the 19 northern states called for the diversification of energy to ensure improved electricity supply.
The states include Niger and Kwara, Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa, Gombe and Katsina. Others are Sokoto, Zamfara, Bauchi, Yobe, Borno, Adamawa, Taraba, Niger, Plateau, Nasarawa, Kogi and Benue.
But speaking at the event to update the public and highlight achievements recorded so far, the minister emphasized that with Nigeria’s abundant sunshine, there is no reason the country cannot achieve utility-scale solar power generation.
He said, “In addition to these initiatives, private investors like Sun Africa Energy and Skipper Electric are keen to invest in Nigeria’s power sector, emphasising renewable generation and grid expansion. What we have today on our grid are just two types of power, hydropower and gas-powered plants.
“But with the abundance of sunshine that we have in Nigeria, nothing stops us from having utility-scale solar power generation. And we have two companies that have expressed interest in this. We have evaluated, and discussions are at a very, very high stage.
“Number one is Sun Africa, which intends to bring in about 1,000MW of solar energy to complement the efforts of Niger Delta Power Holding Company at their various locations. And this will go straight into the grid. That’s adding solar power to our grid.
“Then the second is Skipper Energy, who has also decided to construct modular solar power plants in the 19 states of the northern part of Nigeria, about 100MW each, so that each state will be independent and the dependence on the national grid will be reduced. This will ensure that we have solar power in our national grid.”
Continuing, Adelabu described the 8,000MW target as realistic, noting that power generation has already improved by about 40 per cent since the current administration took office.
He said average daily generation rose from 4,100MW in Q3 2023 to 5,700MW in the last quarter of 2025, peaking at 5,800MW.
He highlighted that while it took Nigeria nearly 40 years, from 1984 to 2022, to grow from 2,000MW to 4,000MW, the current administration added 1,700MW in just over a year.
“I assumed office in August 2023, and within a short time, we’ve moved from an unstable 4,100MW to a steady 5,800MW,” he said, adding that if past governments had added just 1,000MW each year since 1999, Nigeria would now be producing over 30,000MW.
Adelabu credited the recent progress to President Tinubu’s support and expressed confidence that, if current momentum continues, the country could reach 8,000MW by 2027.
“Now that we have created a trajectory, if we sustain this trajectory, I can assure you that before the end of this administration in 2027, we should be able to generate and distribute nothing less than 8,000MW of power,” he assured.
The minister further observed the paucity of funds, stressing that given the competition for funding among various ministries and agencies, the government is looking to the private sector to secure financing for the construction of new transmission lines, substations, and the installation of additional transformers.
“We have received various offers from private investors. The national grid is owned 100 per cent by the government. But I can tell you, with other ministries competing for funds, we cannot fund the national grid alone. We are looking to expand the national grid. If you look at the grid, I will give you the features of the grid. It is too large, and there are some dedicated lines in which some private investors have expressed interest.
“And with the Nigerian Independent System Operator, it will be much easier for us to invite the private sector investors and let them finance the construction of new lines, construction of new substations, and introduction of new transformers,” the former CBN director noted.
As part of its achievements, the minister said the national grid has been stronger in Tinubu’s administration, as the Transmission Company of Nigeria strengthened the critical network by commissioning 61 new transformers.
“It is a huge grid to cover over 200 million people, and it’s been there for so long, and we know that the maintenance history has been poor, replacement history has been poor, expansion history has been poor,” the minister said.
He added, “It is old, so collectively enabling our grid 8.7 gigawatt operational capacity, as of today, if we grow our generation to 8,700 megawatts, the grid can still carry it, thanks to the activities of the TCN and the FGN power company. Two years ago, once it gets to 5,000MW, the grid collapses, then we have evacuated 5,800MW successfully without the grid blinking, it was still stable, so we can transport 8,700MW.
“To strengthen this critical network, TCN commissioned 61 new transformers, totalling 5,589 MVA in 2024. Followed by nine additional transformers in quarter one of 2025 across key locations in Lagos, Benin, Bauchi, Oshogbo, Kano, and Kaduna, we have the list of the sites. I once mentioned that TCN had over 100 unfinished projects.
“In the 2025 appropriation, we already have N25 billion to support TCN to complete some of these projects, and that will also improve power supply. Beyond TCN, we have the activities of the presidential power initiative, which is being executed by the FGN Power Company. The pilot phase delivered infrastructure across 13 locations, adding 700 megawatts to the national grid.
“We experienced several grid disturbances towards the end of last year, but since January up till today, four months into the new year, we have not seen any major disturbance to the grid. I can assure you, we do everything possible to maintain and sustain the current scenario. If there’s any little disturbance, our turnaround time is being worked upon; within one to two hours, the grid will be up.”
As a result of these efforts, Adelabu stated that around 150 million Nigerians now have access to adequate electricity, while an estimated 80 million still lack a reliable power supply.
“As it is today, Nigeria—a country with about 240 million people—has access for 150 million people already, while about 80 million lack access to adequate electricity in Nigeria.
“The real challenge lies in the stability and affordability of electricity. That’s how we measure reliability. We must ensure that those who have access enjoy consistent and affordable power,” he said
Another remarkable initiative announced during the briefing is the progress made towards regionalising the national grid, adding supergrid eastern and western supergrid approvals currently in progress, which will revolutionise the national grid and reduce failures.
The minister added that Nigeria needs regionalisation of the national grid so that if there is a problem in one part of the country, it will not affect other parts.
On the previously abandoned Kaduna Power Plant, he said that the facility is being revamped, now 87 per cent complete, and is expected to become operational by the end of 2025.
The 215MW facility constructed by the Federal Ministry of Power had been abandoned for six years before the current administration intervened.
Adelabu emphasised that his inspection of the project led to securing President Bola Tinubu’s approval for its completion.
“It is 87 per cent completed, but was neglected for six years since 2018/2019. They have stopped working on it.
“I inspected it and ensured that we got Mr President’s approval for us to complete this project, and it has a capacity of 215MW. So, before the end of the year, the Kaduna Power Plant will be in operation. I can assure you,” Adelabu stated.
The power plant contract, awarded in November 2009 to General Electric and Rockson Engineering for a dual thermal plant running on Low Pour Fuel Oil and natural gas, was originally scheduled for completion by December 31, 2013.
PUNCH
News
Troops foil mass abduction attempt, rescue nine civilians
Troops of Joint Task Force North West Operation FANSAN YAMMA (JTF NW OPFY) foiled an attempted mass abduction by terrorists in Unguwar Rogo Village, Kaura Namoda Local Government Area of Zamfara State, rescuing nine civilians, including an infant.
The incident occurred on 16 August 2026, when troops received a distress call that terrorists, believed to be led by suspected kingpin Mallam Shuaibu, had infiltrated the community and attacked civilians travelling along a local route.
Preliminary intelligence indicates that the attack may have been carried out in reprisal for the recent arrest of suspected collaborators linked to the terrorist network. The suspects had earlier been intercepted by troops while attempting to procure motorcycles and Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) in support of the terrorists’ activities.
In an apparent attempt to retaliate and abduct civilians, the terrorists concealed themselves within a millet farm along the route and opened fire on passing vehicles, causing some drivers to lose control and veer off the road.
Responding swiftly to the distress call, troops of Sector 2 moved to the area and decisively engaged the terrorists, denying them the opportunity to carry out the abduction. Faced with the troops’ superior response, the terrorists abandoned their mission and fled into the surrounding forest.

Following the engagement, troops rescued nine civilians, including an infant. Two women who sustained gunshot wounds during the terrorists’ attack were promptly evacuated for medical attention and are currently receiving treatment.
Operation FANSAN YAMMA remains resolute in its determination to deny terrorists and other criminal elements the freedom to attack innocent citizens. The Joint Task Force will continue to sustain pressure on terrorist networks while taking all necessary measures to protect lives and restore lasting peace and security across the North West region.
News
Edo Assembly Speaker Blessing Agbebaku resigns
The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has reportedly stepped down from his position.
His resignation came as reports emerged that some lawmakers were working on plans to impeach him from the speakership.
Agbebaku became Speaker of the 8th Edo State House of Assembly in June 2023 after lawmakers elected him to lead the chamber.
The former Speaker was originally
elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
However, he later moved to the All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2025, joining other political figures who changed parties as political alignments in Edo continued to change.

His reported resignation comes as political activities begin to build ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The development is likely to lead to new discussions among lawmakers and political leaders over who will take over the leadership of the Assembly.
The resignation could also affect the balance of power within the House, especially as lawmakers consider the next person to lead the chamber.
Members of the Assembly are expected to meet and take the necessary steps toward filling the vacant Speaker position.
The reason behind Agbebaku’s decision to leave office has not been made public.
It is also not yet clear whether his resignation is connected to recent political developments within the state or other issues involving the Assembly.
More information is expected to emerge as lawmakers react to the development and begin discussions on the next leadership of the Edo State House of Assembly.
News
Sheikh Jingir: Christianity not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria — Pastor Enenche
• Says security agencies must act against provocative religious remarks
Senior Pastor of Dunamis International Gospel Centre, Pastor Paul Enenche, has declared that Christianity is not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria, while condemning comments linked to Islamic cleric Sheikh Yahya Jingir.
Speaking during the church’s Sunday service at its headquarters in Abuja, Enenche reacted strongly to the controversy generated by Jingir’s recent remarks, insisting that Christians could not be regarded as inferior to adherents of any other faith in the country.
The cleric described the suggestion that Christianity was secondary to another religion as unacceptable, arguing that Christians are present in large numbers across every part of Nigeria.
Enenche also warned against taking the Christian community for granted, maintaining that the church remains a significant force in the nation.
He criticised security agencies for failing to invite Islamic cleric, Sheikh Muhammad Jingir, over his recent comments advocating a Muslim-Muslim political arrangement in Nigeria.

According to Enenche, security agencies should have acted against statements capable of provoking religious tension and violence in the country.
The pastor described as unacceptable the suggestion that Christianity should be regarded as subordinate to any other religion in Nigeria, insisting that Christians constitute a significant part of the country’s population.
He said, “Christianity is not secondary, and no group of religious fanatics will ever make it secondary. Not you, not any political group of people will ever make Christianity secondary to any.”
Enenche also questioned why security agencies had not invited the cleric for questioning over his comments, arguing that allowing individuals to make what he described as reckless statements without consequence could threaten national peace.
He said, “I blame security forces for allowing people to make reckless statements. You allow them still moving on the road, allow them still moving, not knowing that such a statement can incite instant violence.”
The pastor added that authorities should have taken steps to establish whether the comments could incite violence, rather than allowing the speaker to continue making such statements publicly.
“People are messing up and destroying the nation; they are walking free of charge, and they are talking,” he said.
Enenche further warned against taking the Christian community for granted, saying Christians had remained calm despite what he described as provocative statements.
“Nobody should take the church in this nation for granted. Don’t take the church for granted,” he said.
His comments followed controversy generated by the Chairman of the Ulama Council of Jama’atu Izalatil Bid’ah Wa’ikamatis Sunnah, Sheikh Muhammad Jingir, who recently advocated the continued adoption of a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket.
Jingir had, at a special wedding reception organised by the Kano State Government for 1,500 couples whose weddings it sponsored, urged Muslims to vote in a manner that would demonstrate their numerical strength.
Amid reactions to his comments, Jingir told the BBC that he had no regret over his advocacy for a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket, stressing that he had held the position long before the administration of President Bola Tinubu.
The comments have attracted reactions from various quarters, including the National Coordinator of the Obidient Movement Worldwide, Yunusa Tanko, and Nigeria’s Ambassador-designate to South Africa, Femi Fani-Kayode.
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: Adeleke wins 19 LGs, APC’s Oyebamiji secures 11 LGs
-
News3 days agoKidnapping: My life in captivity — Justice Bunza
-
News3 days agoRigging Attempt: Police aiding APC to intimidate voters in Osun — Adeleke
-
Politics2 days agoOsun: The mourning after By Festus Adedayo
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov election
-
News1 day agoSheikh Jingir: Christianity not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria — Pastor Enenche
-
News1 day agoWanted banditry kingpin, Ado Aleru, attends fresh ‘peace talks’ with Katsina community residents
-
News3 days agoSEC freezes assets allegedly linked to six terrorist financiers




