
News
Nigerians in UK protest visa scams, call out 30 suspects
Nigerians living in the United Kingdom have protested against rising cases of certificate of sponsorship scams in the country.
Some UK-based Nigerians assembled on Marsham Street in London to participate in the protest on Thursday, according to Sunday PUNCH .
A live video on TikTok seen by our correspondents showed a woman, Christiana Olabisi, aka Ferrari, with a megaphone, as she called on victims of the scams to join in the demonstration.
She said, “No more scamming. Enough is enough. Whether you like it or not, all of you are going to get reported.
“We are here waiting for you, for those of you still wanting to join the protest, we are waiting for you. Don’t let anybody scare you. This is a country where you can speak up. Don’t let anyone scare you with deportation. If anyone has collected money from you, this is the time to speak up. Tomorrow may be too late.

“We have a lot of people making others cry in this country. A group of people collecting huge sums of money from the newcomers; we are here to inform the Home Office about what is going on in this country. They don’t even know the huge sums being collected. We are going to expose you,”
According to an e-flier circulated on X last week, which was turned into a banner on the protest ground, 30 suspects were identified with their photos.
The flier, titled, ‘Say No To UK CoS Scam’ read, ‘Faces of people scamming people with thousands of pounds for CoS in the UK.’
Speaking with our correspondent, Olabisi said there were about 10 people at the protest, which was held in front of the UK Home Office.
“One of the officials later addressed us that we should write a formal letter for the Home Office to address our grievances,” she added.
Victims share ordeals
Certificate of Sponsorship is a visa scheme designed for licensed organisations by the UK government to enable them to hire overseas workers, who they bring into the European country. CoS is supposed to be free.
Overseas workers can only make valid visa applications from their countries if they have the backing of such licensed companies, who are also called sponsors.
Many desperate foreign workers looking for such visas have, however, fallen victim to fraudulent agents and companies who demand huge sums of money in return for the favour.
Some immigrants, who once had blue-collar jobs, have been discovered to leave them with assurance from their agents that they would get skilled jobs in the UK.
However, many get stranded in the UK with no jobs as they depend on food banks for survival after losing millions of naira spent on relocation.
During the protest in London, hundreds of people who claimed to be resident in the UK and joined the livestream on TikTok, commended the organisers of the demonstration.
A caller, who did not identify himself, recounted how a fraudster defrauded his friend of £15,000.
“My friend, along with his wife and two children, paid a whopping £15,000 to a guy in the UK for a Certificate of Sponsorship. I warned them not to, but they didn’t listen.
“When they got to Manchester, I learned they paid even more money to another person for the same CoS. But nothing came out of it,” he said.
A woman, who identified herself as Ehizojie Joy, said, “I have been here for two years, yet no shifts from my employer after paying £10,000. I have only been managing 20-hour shifts from another employer.”
Another victim said, “I paid £12,000, and now the company has stopped taking my calls.”
A content creator, Musa Eunice, also shared her experience, revealing how her cousin was allegedly scammed of £20,000.
“Na £20,000 they collected from my cousin. Wicked people,” she wrote.
Another user recounted losing £12,000 to the fraudsters.
“Since I arrived in the UK, I have had no work. I have been struggling financially after paying £12,000 in debt for the CoS,” he wrote.
More victims came forward with similar stories in the comment section.
Juicy.cake1 wrote, “I got duped £3,000. The person who scammed me is on the list,” while another unnamed user said, “I was scammed out of £8,500. Please, I need help recovering my money.”
Eddyking71 stated, “They already scammed me out of £11,000.”
Another user, Sovereign_ruler, shared how the scam had caused his mother heartbreak.
“My mom has been in pain after being scammed out of her hard-earned money by one Toyin,” he wrote.
In a live broadcast, another TikToker, Rita Onyekweli (@rita4delta), recounted how the fraudulent schemes ruined lives both at home and abroad.
She said, “A lot of people are in my DMs, crying. These scammers prey on people’s vulnerabilities and take thousands of pounds from them. Do you know how much that is? Some people sold their properties, while others borrowed heavily just to raise the money, only to be scammed.
“These people charge between £12,000 to £20,000, but when the victims arrive in the UK, there is no job for them. Some, after paying everything, even get their visas denied because they were given fake CoS. Why are Africans like this? If you don’t have a CoS, why take someone’s money? It is disheartening!”
CoS scam is rampant in the UK with many immigrants falling victims.
In August 2023, Sky News investigated and reported how many Africans were exploited by fraudulent companies.
Victims who shared their ordeals on condition of anonymity, said they were relying on food banks to survive as they had been left stranded after paying thousands of pounds for CoS.
“There is a big scam going on about this. A lot of people are being scammed and deceived every day that there are jobs in the UK,” one of the victims stated.
Also, DailyMail in 2024 investigated a Baptist minister, who was arrested after admitting on camera to charging £9,000 to arrange a job in three days.
One migrant said he paid £6,000 cash for a Certificate of Sponsorship at a meeting in one of the company’s offices in the north-west of England, but did not get the sponsorship.
Suspect denies allegation
One of the people whose pictures were put on the protest poster, Mojisola, denied the allegation.
She disclosed that she had already taken steps to clear her name and seek redress through legal means.
Mojisola told Sunday PUNCH that she had taken legal action against her accuser at the King’s Bench Division of the Royal Courts of Justice in London.
“The allegations made against me on social media are completely false.
“I have commenced legal actions against her and as this matter is now before the court, I will not be making any further comments at this time,” she said.
NiDCOM counsels protesters
The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission said while it was not aware of the Thursday protest, visa scams had been a serious cause for concern.
The NiDCOM Director of Media, Public Relations and Protocol Unit, Abdur-Rahman Balogun, said most Nigerians fell victim because they did not use legal channels to relocate.
“My advice for them is that they should seek legal redress,” the NiDCOM spokesperson said. “They should tread cautiously as they protest. They should not take the law into their own hands. They should remain law-abiding even as they register their displeasure.”
The Home Office has yet to respond to enquiries on the protest as of press time.(Sunday PUNCH)
Business
AFRAA welcomes Enugu Air, strengthens Nigeria’s Domestic Aviation growth
The African Airlines Association (AFRAA) has admitted Enugu Air as Member, extending the Association’s membership base in Nigeria’s fast-growing domestic aviation market and reaffirming AFRAA’s commitment to supporting the continued development of African carriers across the continent.
This was announced by AFRAA in Nairobi on Wednesday, making Enugu Air the 50th Member of the association, joining the AFRAA airline fraternity, collectively representing more than 85 per cent of total international traffic carried by African airlines.
Speaking on the occasion, AFRAA Secretary General, Mr. Abdérahmane Berthé, said, “We are delighted to welcome Enugu Air into the AFRAA fraternity.

“As a state-backed carrier serving Nigeria’s rapidly expanding domestic market, Enugu Air represents the kind of homegrown investment that is vital to building resilient air connectivity across our continent.

“We look forward to supporting the airline through the IOSA certification process and to its continued growth within the AFRAA membership, as we work together to advance the cause of unified African skies.”
Reacting to the development, the CEO of Enugu, Capt Tolu Ita, described the admission into AFRAA as a major milestone in the airline’s short history.
“We are honoured to join the AFRAA fraternity. This membership underscores Enugu Air’s commitment to safe, reliable, and affordable air travel for Nigerians while contributing to the vision of a unified African aviation market.
“We look forward to collaborating with fellow AFRAA members and leveraging the association’s support as we grow our network and pursue IOSA certification,” Tolu stated.
Founded on July 7, 2025, Enugu Air commenced commercial operations with a fleet of Embraer E170/E190/E195 aircraft.
The airline, which has its headquarters in Enugu and operates from the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, currently serves nine domestic destinations including Enugu, Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kano and Benin City.
As part of the airline’s growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.
As part of its growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.
The admission of Enugu Air aligns with AFRAA’s strategic priorities and strengthens the voice of the association. Nigeria, as Africa’s most populous nation and one of its fastest-growing economies, remains central to the realization of a truly integrated African aviation market.
Meanwhile, founded in Accra, Ghana, in April 1968, and headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, AFRAA’s mission is to promote, serve African Airlines and champion Africa’s aviation industry.
The association envisions a sustainable, interconnected and affordable air transport industry in Africa, where African airlines become key players and drivers of African economic development.
AFRAA membership cuts across the entire continent and includes all the major intercontinental African operators.
The association’s members represent over 85% of total international traffic carried by African airlines.
News
Aiyedatiwa appoints 1,004 aides, picks commissioner, three advisers
Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has approved a fresh round of appointments involving a commissioner, three Special Advisers and 1,000 other aides.
The appointments comprise 90 Senior Special Assistants and 910 Special Assistants, with the governor saying the move is intended to reinforce his administration and improve its reach across the state.
Erelu Taibat Yemi Oloruntoba, from Akoko North-West Local Government Area, has been nominated as Commissioner for Special Duties. Her nomination has been transmitted to the state House of Assembly for consideration and confirmation.
The governor also appointed Hon. Abimbola Fajolu as Special Adviser on Environment, Chief Ade Adeniyi as Special Adviser on Rural and Community Development, and Mr Muyiwa Ogunyemi as Special Adviser on Transport.
Among those named as Senior Special Assistants are Erelu Toyin Ogungbure, Women Mobilisation (South); Bidemi Obayangbon, Forestry; Gboluge Olufunmi Alex, Community Engagement (South); Hon. Akin Adeniyi, Community Engagement (Central); and Obayan Theophilus Ayodeji, Community Engagement (North).

Others include Kelvin Solomon, Students Affairs; Adeolu Iwakun, Volunteer Services; Samson Job Bazuaye, Oil and Gas; Fade Ojamomi, Youth Empowerment and Job Creation; Sam Adepoju, Public Engagement; and Alhaji Samad Orijeminiyi, Scholarship.
Also appointed are Victor Omodara, Grassroots Mobilisation; Abayomi Adefolalu, Photography; and Alhaji Abdukadiri Adenoyi, Prince Nzuoma Egbulefu and Alhaji Garba Goni, all for Non-Indigenes.
News
40 feared dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto
About 40 people are suspected to have lost their lives after a boat carrying farmers to their rice farms capsized in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
The incident occurred while the victims were crossing a stream to access their farms.
An eyewitness said more than 70 people were on the boat when it capsized shortly after taking off.
The village head was among those on board but he was reportedly rescued.
“So far, we have recovered about 40 bodies, while six people, including the village head, were rescued,” a local journalist who was at the scene, Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, told our reporter.

According to him, the victims comprised farm owners and labourers who had been engaged to harvest rice.
“The canoe capsized shortly after take-off. Rescue operations are still ongoing, with local divers searching for those still missing and recovering bodies,” he said. (Daily Trust)
-
News24 hours agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
International1 day agoCanada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
-
Uncategorized1 day ago2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin
-
News22 hours agoLagos shuts churches over noise pollution
-
News22 hours agoTwo shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
-
News1 day agoWhy I won’t apologise to Okpebholo — Davido
-
News1 day agoEven if Tinubu appoints Seyi as INEC chairman, he’ll be defeated in 2027 — Dalung
-
News1 day agoAccess Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys




