Connect with us

News

Ogurugu monarch, stakeholders pledge support, donation of land for naval operations

Published

on

Spread the love

The traditional ruler, Igwe Emmanuel Egwuaba, and stakeholders of Ogurugu community in Uzo Uwani Local Government Area of Enugu State have promised to support as well as donate their land for the proposed naval base and its operations in the area.

The development was disclosed by the traditional ruler, alongside his people, when a joint committee set up by both the federal and the state governments paid a working visit to the community on Sunday.

The committee, led by the Deputy Governor of Enugu State, Barr. Ifeanyi Ossai, on the side of the Enugu State Government, and Rear Admiral Chijioke Onyemaobi, who represented the federal government, was welcomed by the jubilant members of the community who hosted them with fanfare.

Igwe Egwuaba while conveying his people’s happiness to the government for its intervention in the community, said if and when sited, the naval base would boost the economy of the area through the attraction of investors and other social amenities such as hospital, school and market.

He further added that the community had earlier resolved to cooperate and support the government by ceding their land and ensuring that the project was successfully executed.

According to the royal father: “As you can see yourself, the entire community members came out to welcome these government officials because of the news of the naval base they are coming to site here. It is a thing to celebrate because the government has remembered us.

Maduka College Advert

“All of us in Ogurugu Community have resolved to support this project, and we want to assure the government that whatever is required from us, we will make it available. We have equally told them that we have large hectares of land and we are ready to give out our land for this project.

“This project will have many positive impacts on the lives of our people and the general economy of this place. You know we are dominantly into agriculture and we produce food staples such as rice, cassava, maize, among other agricultural produce. So, this proposed base by the Nigerian Navy will open up our area and expand the economy. We can easily move our farm produce to the market through the waterways.

“Ogurugu community is made up of 9 villages and we all share the same communal land. We have agreed that whatever the government is planning here in Ogurugu we’re ready to support it. We have pledged to give our land for the project because it’s all about the development of our community.

“Let me emphasize this for the umpteenth time; we, the people of Ogurugu community in Uzo Uwani Local Local Area of Enugu State are happy with the way Governor Peter Mbah is leading us by example. He is spreading his good governance across every community.

“We are also appealing to Governor Mbah to come and invest in agriculture in Ogurugu. We have fertile land for whatever agricultural purpose the governor is planning.”

On his part, a former chairman of the local government area and stakeholder from the community, Chief James Ademu, noted that the news about the proposed project had already brought together the different villages in the community in order to ensure maximum cooperation with the government officials, saying it was a much anticipated project by the people.

He further disclosed that they had held several meetings among themselves in anticipation of the committee and arrived at a conclusion that they were ready to donate any part of the community the Nigerian Navy chooses for the project.

“This project is going to help our people, empower us economically, and we will not take it for granted,” Chief Ademu said.

Speaking earlier, Rear Admiral Onyemaobi said the committee had visited the Igwe’s palace to pay homage and also seek the support and cooperation of the people in making sure the naval base operations were actualized.

He appealed to the people to work in synergy with the military personnel who would be visiting the area from time to time by assisting them with required support and information.

Addressing newsmen shortly after conducting a survey on the river, the senior military officer stated that the water has all the requirements for the establishment of the naval base and other naval facilities, stressing that it’s navigable, wide and strategic.

He assured that work would soon commence in the area even as he underscored that the project would assist in keeping the area safe for the citizens.

While assuring that the security and economic benefits of the naval base would serve the country as a whole, the Deputy Governor said Ogurugu was strategic to the country’s economic growth during colonial era.

He revealed that their visit was necessitated by the desire of the Nigerian Navy to commence the project immediately, adding that the success of the project would depend on how Ogurugu, Iga, Asagba, and the entire Uzo Uwani council area give their support to the Navy.

Barr. Ossai, who said the naval establishment would include designated area for building offices, training ground and residence, maintained that the state government under Governor Peter Mbah would soon commence the process of acquiring land for the project.

According to him, Ogurugu community, Uzo Uwani council area and the state at large would be the greatest beneficiaries of the project once established in terms of security and robust economic drive.

“This project is going to secure your inland waterway. It’s going to trigger economic benefits for Ogurugu. It’s going to provide the much desperately needed security so that we can go back to our farms, our commercial agriculture and begin to witness the same export Ogurugu had done in the 1930s and 1940s. What we expect is the maximum cooperation of everybody in the community and the local government to ensure speedy and immediate completion of the project,” the Deputy Governor added.

Appreciating the gesture of the government for the project, the council chairman, Hon. Chukwudi Nnadozie, said the people of the local government were glad that the project would give priority to the security of his people through an effective policing system.

He expressed gratitude to the state governor and the federal government for the choice of the local government, promising that they would give the navy whatever support it needed to facilitate the project and ensure its speedy completion.

Those at the visit included the Commissioner for Agriculture and Agro-Industrialisation, Hon. Patrick Nwabueze Ubro, Commissioner for Human Development and Poverty Eradication, Dr. Malachy Agbo, Chairmen of Igboeze North and Udenu local government areas, Hon. Ejike Itodo and Hon. Solomon Onah, respectively.

Others were, Commodore D C Ekwom, Commodore S Ibrahim, Navy Captain U I Abubakar, Navy Captain A A Ibrahim, Commander O. M. Williams, among others.

News

2027: Back Tinubu or risk losing federal projects — Umahi tells South-East Leaders

Published

on

I’m not fighting with my successor like other ex-governors - Umahi
Minister of Works David Umahi
Spread the love

The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has urged political stakeholders in the South-East to rally behind President Bola Ahmed Tinubu ahead of the 2027 general elections, warning that failure to do so could affect the region’s access to federal development projects.

Umahi made the remark while addressing concerns around federal infrastructure delivery and political alignment in the South-East, stressing that the region stands to benefit more under continued cooperation with the current administration.

According to him, the Tinubu-led government has already committed substantial resources to ongoing road and infrastructure projects across the South-East, including major highways, bridges, and rehabilitation works, which he said reflect unprecedented federal attention to the region in recent years.

The minister argued that political alignment remains critical in ensuring continuity and expansion of such projects, insisting that opposition politics could weaken the region’s influence in national decision-making and project allocation.

He maintained that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has demonstrated what he described as “inclusive governance” through appointments and infrastructure investments, adding that the South-East should adopt a more strategic political approach rather than confrontational positioning ahead of 2027.

Umahi also reiterated his belief that the South-East would overwhelmingly support Tinubu’s re-election bid, insisting that ongoing projects and federal presence in the region would naturally translate into political appreciation.

Maduka College Advert

His comments are the latest in a series of strong endorsements of the President by the Works Minister, who has consistently pointed to major federal road projects in the region as evidence of what he calls renewed attention to South-East development.

The statement is expected to generate political debate, especially among opposition figures and stakeholders in the region who have continued to question the distribution of federal projects and political inclusiveness.

As the 2027 elections draw closer, analysts say such remarks highlight the growing early political positioning within Nigeria’s major geopolitical zones, particularly in the South-East where electoral competition remains highly contested.

Continue Reading

News

Woman passes out after receiving 100 strokes of cane for having sex outside marriage

Published

on

Spread the love

A woman has passed out after she and her partner were each flogged 100 times in public for engaging in sex outside marriage under strict Sharia laws in Indonesia’s Aceh province.

The woman, whose identity was not disclosed, was later carried away after the punishment was carried out in Banda Aceh, located at the northern tip of Sumatra island on Thursday.

A masked official dressed in brown robes administered the caning before members of the public who gathered to witness the punishment.

Her partner was also seen wincing in pain while receiving the lashes.

The pair were among several individuals punished for violating Sharia regulations in the province.

Authorities from the Banda Aceh Sharia Court and the Prosecutor’s Office handed down punishments ranging from 25 to 100 lashes for offences including extramarital sex allegedly arranged through online applications.

Maduka College Advert

Aceh remains the only province in Muslim-majority Indonesia operating under Sharia law, where unmarried couples are prohibited from having sexual relations.

Caning is commonly used in the province as punishment for offences such as gambling, alcohol consumption, same-sex relations and sex outside marriage.

Under Aceh’s Sharia regulations, child rape offenders face some of the harshest penalties, including up to 200 strokes of the cane, a prison sentence of as long as 200 months or fines equivalent to two kilograms of gold.

The punishments are usually carried out publicly as a way of shaming offenders in addition to inflicting physical pain.

Such canings are often conducted outside mosques or in open public spaces, with residents watching and taking photographs during the exercise.

Human rights organisations have continued to condemn the practice, arguing that it causes emotional trauma and violates international human rights standards.

Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have repeatedly criticised the punishments, saying they conflict with Indonesia’s constitution and global legal obligations.

Amnesty said in a statement: “Caning contravenes Indonesia’s constitution and is in clear violation of international human rights law and standards.

‘It constitutes a cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment and can amount to torture in violation of the UN Convention against Torture and other international covenants, to which Indonesia is a State Party.’”

Despite the criticism, local authorities have defended the punishments as part of Aceh’s religious and cultural identity, insisting they serve as a deterrent against immoral behaviour.

Earlier in January, another couple in the province reportedly received 140 lashes each after being found guilty of drinking alcohol and engaging in sex outside marriage. (Daily Mail)

Continue Reading

News

2027: Gov Mbah Showcases Achievements, Promises More as He’s Officially Declared Enugu APC Guber Candidate

Published

on

Spread the love

…Says ‘Tomorrow is Here’ mantra no longer abstract expression

…Panel: Enugu APC model for internal democracy

Governor Peter Mbah has saluted the All Progressives Congress’ (APC) faithful for his resounding election as the party’s gubernatorial candidate in the 2027 general election, highlighting progress made under his stewardship and promising more to the state.

He stated this in his acceptance speech at the International Conference Centre, Enugu, on Friday, as the Hon. Danmalikin Hausa-led Enugu State APC Governorship Primary Election Committee concluded the collation of results of the exercise that saw 397,370 accredited party faithful participating across the state’s 260 wards on Thursday and formally declared him winner.

“This moment is not one I take for granted. For me, there was never a sense of entitlement. I accept this nomination with full awareness of the expectations that come with it, buoyed by the knowledge that it’s not an unfamiliar path for me,” he stated.

Mbah expressed happiness that his administration totally disproved the notion that campaign promises could never be kept, saying the “Tomorrow Is Here,” which underscores his governance philosophy had moved from the abstract to a reality.

“What once felt distant – that tomorrow could be different – is no longer abstract. It is taking shape.

Maduka College Advert

“It is visible in the routines of daily life, in how people travel, how they work, and how they now access services that were once unreliable or out of reach.

“We have smashed the notion that promises matter more than performance. Every naira spent has been made to give the people of Enugu a return on their investment of trust and faith,” he said.

Continuing, the governor reeled out his administration’s achievements across various sectors.

“Today, events are scheduled on Mondays without the least apprehension. Through our Command and Control Centre and other modern security infrastructure, we have effectively restored citizens’ faith in the state’s capacity to protect them.

“Through our ward-based Smart Green Schools, learning has become fit-for-purpose, offering our children education that guarantees them a place in a fast-changing world.

“With at least one Type-2 Primary Healthcare Centre in each of our 260 Wards, we have ensured that location is no longer a hindrance to quality healthcare.

“Across our rural communities, crop yield is rising as the rev of tractors increasingly replaces backbreaking tasks like ridging and tilling once done with hoes and cutlasses.

“Across our towns and cities, opportunities are emerging as decades-long moribund industries roar back to life.

“Until a few months ago, the Songhai Heneke Farm in Ezeagu was a desolate project. The story is different today.

“The United Palm Products Limited has risen from its moribund past to become a viable venture – offering job opportunities to the youth.

“The Enugu Haier Factory, a $20 million investment facility that manufactures digital appliances and electronics, also comes to mind.

“Jobs in the aviation sector that once felt out of reach no longer feels so for our youths with the launch of Enugu Air.

“Our sons and daughters will soon be able to fly to major cities of the world from here.

“We have done over 1,500 kilometres of roads, launched five world-class Transport Terminals and CNG buses to ensure that our people commute in dignity and comfort.”

“Beyond the state, Enugu is becoming the standard bearer for sustainable governance, innovative development, and quality of life,” he asserted.

The governor equally acknowledged that President Bola Tinubu’s bold policies contributed immensely to the successes by making more resources available to states to invest in development.

Meanwhile, primary election panel Chairman, Hon. Hausa, has commended Mbah and party leaders for the peaceful and credible primary elections in the state.

“Enugu State APC is a well-coordinated chapter where internal democracy, consensus-building, discipline, synergy and peace reign supreme. The whole exercise has been rancour-free and indeed a carnival of sorts,” he added.

He equally commended President Tinubu and the Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda-led national executive of the party “for providing the exemplary leadership that midwifed the peaceful and credible primaries at the subnational level.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert