
Uncategorized
Enugu Govt Approves Construction, Reconstruction of 1,022 Urban Roads
The Enugu State Government has approved the construction and reconstruction of 1,022 urban roads in line with Governor Peter Mbah’s administration’s target to pave all the roads in Enugu metropolis before the end of his first term in office.
This was made known at the end of the Enugu State Executive Council meeting at the weekend.
Briefing Government House correspondents, the Commissioner for Information and Communication, Dr. Malachy Agbo; Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Engr. Osita Okoh; and Commissioner for Trade, Investment and Industry, Dr. Sam Ogbu-Nwobodo, said that the Executive Council also approved the Business Enabling Reform Action Plan for 2026, as well as a series of events for an unforgettable “Detty December” experience marking the forthcoming Christmas and New Year celebrations.
Throwing more light on the 1,022 roads, Okoh said it was an effort to maximise the dry season window, ensuring that contracts were awarded early and contractors mobilised to the various sites from January 2026.
“We have done the first phase, which was over 90 roads. We have also done phase two, which also exceeded the earlier planned 141 urban roads. So, we are now in phase three. Here, we are going to award contracts that will cover all the roads that are yet to be paved in Enugu metropolis.

“These roads cut across New GRA, Old GRA, Emene Zone, Abakpa Zone, Thinkers Corner, Airport Corner, Upper Meniru in Awkunanaw, Idaw River Layout, Gariki, Maryland, Achara Layout, Uwani, One Day and Upper One Day, Trans Ekulu, Independence Layout, Independence Layout Phase II, Coal Camp Zone, Pocket Layout, as well as Ogui and Asata Zone, among other places. We want to cover the uncovered areas roads in the Enugu metropolis,” he said.
On his part, Dr. Ogbu-Nwobodo explained that the Business Enabling Reform Action Plan for 2026 was aimed at enhancing the Enugu business-friendly ecosystem, having achieved a major leap from 36th position to 6th position in the national ease of doing business survey.
“Three years ago, Enugu was ranked 36th out of 37 (36 states and the FCT). But presently, it has performed well in the ease of doing business rankings. This translates to more robust engagements with the private sector and increased investment inflow into the state. So, as you enhance your environment through processes that are transparent and predictable in land administration, tax administration, permits, and business-to-government interfaces, you get more capital inflow,” he stated.
Uncategorized
Nigerian arrested with meth, heroin in Vietnam
A Nigerian national has been arrested in Vietnam after authorities allegedly found 2kg of suspected crystal methamphetamine and two suspected bricks of heroin concealed in a consignment from Laos.
VietnamPlus reported on Monday that the drugs were discovered at the Lao Bao International Border Gate in Quang Tri Province after customs officers detected suspicious images in a consigned package during a scan.
The report said the case was uncovered at about 8:30 pm on August 5 when customs officers were inspecting road vehicles entering Vietnam from Laos through the border gate.
“Customs officers detected suspicious images in a consigned package using scanning equipment,” the report stated.
A subsequent physical inspection reportedly revealed that the drugs had been concealed inside electric water heaters and electronic components “used as disguises.”

The discovery raised suspicions of transnational drug trafficking, prompting the Customs Sub-Department of Region IX to assign its customs control team to lead the investigation.
The team also coordinated with the Lao Bao International Border Gate’s customs branch, the drug-related crimes investigation police division under the Quang Tri Police, the anti-smuggling investigation sub-department and the provincial Border Guard.
According to the report, the agencies worked together “to identify and locate the recipient” of the consignment.
“After several days of tracing the consignment across multiple locations,” law enforcement officers arrested Izuchukwu Calistus Odionye, a Nigerian national born in 1983, on August 9 in Ho Chi Minh City while he was receiving the package.
The suspect reportedly admitted that the package contained drugs.
Odionye told investigators that he “had been hired to receive it in Ho Chi Minh City and transport it to Hanoi,” according to the report.
The Vietnamese authorities have since expanded the investigation to identify other people allegedly involved in the case.
“The investigation has been expanded to identify other people involved,” the report added.
Uncategorized
Police release Osun commissioner after 24 hours in detention
Osun State Commissioner for Environment, Mayowa Adejoorin, has been released by the Osun State Command of the Nigeria Police Force after almost 24 hours in detention.
Adejoorin was arrested in Ilesa on Saturday after a shooting in the Isokun area of the community left three people injured.
At least three people were reportedly injured during a shooting in Ilesa, Osun State, on Saturday, when members of the Ilesa West Local Government Area chapter of the All Progressives Congress held a street rally.
One of those injured was identified as Tobi Ilesanmi, a 14-year-old boy, who was reportedly shot near the scene of the incident around the Isokun area of Ilesa.
The incident, however, has led to a blame game between the APC and the Accord Party, following the arrest of the Osun State Commissioner for Environment, Mayowa Adejoorin, who was said to be passing through Ilesa after the crisis.

Adejoorin was reportedly arrested by the police and brought to the headquarters of the Osun State Command of the Nigeria Police Force in Osogbo, the state capital.
Speaking on the incident in a telephone conversation with our correspondent on Saturday, the Osun State Police Command spokesperson, Abiodun Ojelabi, stated that three people were injured during the shooting, alleging that the incident was perpetrated by operatives of the Amotekun Corps who were conveyed in a vehicle bearing an official Osun State Government number plate.
“Three persons are confirmed injured, and they were taken to different hospitals. From the reports we have, they were shot at the rally scene. There was a rally in some part of Ilesa by the APC.
“The rally was on when they discovered a vehicle parked beside them bearing a particular plate number, OSHAO4, and some people identified as Amotekun personnel came out of the car and shot sporadically, and everybody ran for safety.
“So some brave men among those that were doing the rally chased those Amotekun personnel passengers. The one they were able to catch drew out a knife and tried to stab anyone who came close to him, and he used that opportunity to escape,” he said.
He added that after the matter was reported to the police, some operatives of the Intelligence Response Team stationed close to the scene responded to the distress call.
Ojelabi further explained that the IRT operatives, on their way to the scene of the incident, saw Adejoorin’s vehicle passing and stopped him.
“We already have our tactical teams on the ground. We have over four IRT tactical teams on the ground posted to different locations. So the IRT that was closer to that place responded to that incident. On getting to the scene, they saw a vehicle that was approaching them, a white Lexus 350.
“On intercepting the vehicle, they saw an Amotekun personnel in the vehicle. So they apprehended the vehicle, the personnel and one other person in the vehicle. They brought them straight to the headquarters here. On interrogation, it was discovered that the other occupant is Honourable Mayowa Adejoorin.
“So they brought them to Osogbo for questioning to know the level of involvement in this incident because the exhibits recovered at the scene of that shooting are four expended cartridges, and the gun recovered from the Amotekun is a pump-action gun. So the investigation is ongoing,” Ojelabi said.
But while addressing journalists on the incident, the Head of the APC Campaign Council for Ilesa West, Folarin Fafowora, explained that the rally was about to be concluded when the incident occurred.
Fafowora said, “We were almost rounding up when, suddenly, a car overtook us. The occupant of the car was the Chief Whip of the Osun State House of Assembly, Hon. Wale Akerele. I was even surprised that people were embracing him, but before I could know what was happening, there was a gunshot. To my disbelief, people started running here and there. I couldn’t believe it.
“Then he left, and people immediately started scrambling for safety. As we got to the roundabout around the Isokun area, the panic and confusion among the people had really disrupted the rally.
“From nowhere, they suddenly came out of the vehicle and started shooting. In fact, I had to hide to avoid being hit. By the time I regained my consciousness, hell had already been let loose. But somehow, because of the Amotekun vehicles that were escorting him, he disappeared almost immediately. It was very shocking. The policemen were there when he came back, while they were shooting. He was being protected by the Amotekun personnel, and they were also shooting.”
Efforts to reach Akerele by our correspondent failed, as calls did not go through to his line, while a response to a message sent to him via WhatsApp was still being awaited as of the time of filing this report.
However, the spokesperson for the Imole Campaign Council, Pelumi Olajengbesi, while reacting to the allegations against Akerele in a chat with journalists on Saturday, said, “The video of Ilesa shooting is all over the place. Members of the APC were shooting in the name of the rally, destroying properties that belong to the Accord members. They destroyed the Accord Party secretariat, and the videos are all over the place.”
Giving an update on the arrest on Sunday the Public Relations Officer of the Osun Police Command, Ojelabi, confirmed the release of Adejoorin.
Ojelabi could not, however, confirm if the Amotekun operative arrested with Adejoorin had been released.
When asked if Adejoorin had been released, Ojelabi simply said, “The commissioner has been released. He was released today but the Amotekun that was arrested with him, I can’t confirm his release yet because I am still gathering my facts.” (PUNCH)
Uncategorized
Italy-based Businessman arrested at Enugu Airport excretes 98 Cocaine wraps
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested a 30-year-old Italy-based businessman, Joseph Cyril, at the Akanu Ibiam International Airport (AIIA), Enugu, for allegedly ingesting 98 wraps of cocaine weighing 1.510 kilogrammes.
The development was disclosed on Sunday, August 9, 2026, by the NDLEA Director of Media and Advocacy, Femi Babafemi, in a statement issued from the agency’s headquarters in Abuja.
Babafemi said Cyril was arrested on Sunday, August 2, during the outward clearance of passengers aboard Ethiopian Airlines flight ET930, which was scheduled to take him to Italy through Addis Ababa and France.
The suspect was subsequently placed under excretion observation, during which he expelled 98 wraps of cocaine weighing 1.510kg, according to the NDLEA spokesperson.
Babafemi said investigations revealed that Cyril had arrived in Nigeria from Italy on July 13, 2026, before allegedly ingesting the consignment at a hotel in Awka, Anambra State, ahead of his planned return to Europe.

In his statement to investigators, Cyril reportedly said he had been doing business in Italy for years before agreeing to traffic the drug for €3,500, which he intended to use to raise funds to relocate to Germany, where his family is based.
The NDLEA spokesperson also announced a series of other drug interceptions and arrests recorded across the country.
In Lagos, operatives thwarted attempts by suspected drug traffickers to export 1.2kg of cocaine concealed in 25 phone chargers to Saudi Arabia through a courier company.
Babafemi said another 500 grammes of cocaine hidden in the false bottom of a backpack and destined for Italy was intercepted at a logistics company on Monday, August 3.
A separate shipment containing 2.3kg of Loud, a synthetic strain of cannabis, imported from the United States was also intercepted at another logistics company in Lagos on Tuesday, August 4.
On the Akure-Ilesha Expressway, NDLEA operatives on Tuesday intercepted a truck allegedly conveying 1,633kg of skunk to northern Nigeria.
Two suspects, Buba Jamilu, 40, and Sanusi Ibrahim, 30, were arrested in connection with the seizure, while 147kg of skunk was recovered from Ita Ogbolu Forest during a raid on Monday, August 3.
In Oyo State, NDLEA operatives raided a suspected drug warehouse in Elebure village, Orire Local Government Area, on Monday, recovering 731.03kg of drugs and arresting 57-year-old Felicia Thompson. Her alleged partner, Thompson Vincent Nwaka, is currently at large, Babafemi said.
In Edo State, operatives, supported by soldiers, recovered 604.5kg of skunk packed in 65 jumbo bags at Ewe Luleha, Owan West Local Government Area, on Wednesday, August 5.
In Abia State, a 31-year-old suspected drug joint operator, Chibuike Charles, was arrested during a raid at Samec by Powerline in Osisioma Local Government Area on Thursday, August 6, with about 7kg of skunk recovered.
The agency also announced the arrest of a wanted drug dealer, Adome Claude Sikuru, at the Fibre Market drug area in Badagry, Lagos, on Saturday, August 8, following a three-month manhunt.
According to Babafemi, 88.5kg of skunk was recovered from Sikuru at the time of his arrest.
At the TinCan Island Port Complex in Lagos, NDLEA operatives, working with the Nigeria Customs Service and other security agencies, discovered 73 cartons containing 442 packets of cannabis-infused cookies and gummies weighing 309.4kg during the examination of a 40-foot container on Tuesday, August 4.
A suspect, Larry Nnaji, was arrested in connection with the seizure, the NDLEA said.
Meanwhile, NDLEA commands across the country continued their War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitisation campaigns in schools, religious institutions, workplaces and communities.
Babafemi said recent activities included enlightenment lectures at Islamic High School, Saki, Oyo State; Holy Ghost Academy, Nkpor, Anambra State; and Madarasatul Hidayatul Aulad Islamiyya, Gaya, Kano State.
The Rivers State Command also paid a WADA advocacy visit to the management of Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Port Harcourt.
The Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), commended the officers and men of the various commands and formations involved in the operations.
Marwa urged personnel across the country to sustain the agency’s balanced approach to drug control, combining enforcement operations with prevention, sensitisation and public advocacy.
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: Adeleke wins 19 LGs, APC’s Oyebamiji secures 11 LGs
-
Politics2 days agoOsun: The mourning after By Festus Adedayo
-
News2 days agoSheikh Jingir: Christianity not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria — Pastor Enenche
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov election
-
News2 days agoWanted banditry kingpin, Ado Aleru, attends fresh ‘peace talks’ with Katsina community residents
-
News2 days agoOsun: When the people stand, democracy wins, says Obi, congratulates Adeleke
-
News2 days ago‘Tinubu has called me, congratulated me,’ Adeleke says after Osun Re-election Victory
-
News3 days ago#OsunDecides: Adeleke takes early lead with 177,572 votes in ongoing collation




