
News
Israel-Iran war: 330,000 flee Tehran, oil price drops 4%
• Iran seeks ceasefire as Israel targets more military facilities
In a dramatic turn of events yesterday, the Islamic Republic of Iran signalled its willingness to pursue a ceasefire in its ongoing war with Israel, even as heavy Israeli air raids continued to pound critical targets in and around Tehran, including the headquarters of Iran’s state television.
Witnesses described a deafening explosion followed by chaos in surrounding neighborhoods. “All we could see was smoke and broken glass,” said a Tehran resident. “People were running, children were screaming. We thought it was the end.”
The ongoing bombardment has triggered a mass evacuation of over 330,000 residents from the capital, with local authorities designating “red zones” around critical military and nuclear installations.
Meanwhile, the international markets reacted swiftly to signs of possible de-escalation, with global oil prices falling by nearly 4% yesterday afternoon, after trending upward earlier in the day.
Traders appear encouraged by reports of Iran’s diplomatic outreach and a potential pause in hostilities.
Financial analysts noted that while the risk of full-scale regional war has not been eliminated, “the prospect of a ceasefire—however tentative—has calmed fears of prolonged disruption to oil supply routes through the Strait of Hormuz.”

Iran’s diplomatic overtures, according to credible media reports, are being channeled through Gulf Arab states—namely Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Oman—which have been quietly engaging both Tehran and Tel Aviv in a bid to de-escalate a rapidly expanding conflict.
However, Tehran has made it clear that any potential truce is contingent on the United States staying out of the battlefield.
Despite its appeal for dialogue, Iran is still absorbing heavy losses. Israeli warplanes, under the banner of “Operation Rising Lion,” launched a fresh wave of attacks Monday morning, targeting missile stockpiles, suspected nuclear infrastructure, and notably, the national broadcasting complex of Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) in central Tehran.
The strike on IRIB dealt a symbolic and psychological blow to the regime, effectively knocking off national broadcasts for several hours and sending shockwaves through the capital.
Long queues formed at fuel stations, roads were choked with fleeing families, and emergency shelters filled to capacity as panic gripped the city.
Military sources believe the Israeli strikes have severely degraded Iran’s air defense systems, rendering its ability to counter further incursions increasingly ineffective.
The assessment has lent urgency to Iran’s move to explore diplomatic channels while projecting continued strength on the battlefield.
According to media reports, Iran is proposing an immediate ceasefire followed by a structured return to nuclear negotiations, facilitated by regional mediators.
In exchange, it is suggesting a temporary freeze on uranium enrichment, expanded IAEA monitoring, and a halt to ballistic missile testing.
However, Tehran insists that Washington must refrain from any military involvement or coercive tactics.
Inside Israel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu remains unmoved by Iran’s truce initiative, vowing that military operations would not cease until Iran’s “nuclear and missile threat is neutralized.”
Speaking during a press briefing yesterday, Netanyahu said: “This is not the time for half-measures. We will finish what we started.”
U.S. President Donald Trump, who continues to exert influence on the crisis, added his voice to the calls for caution.
In a separate address yesterday, he warned against escalation, stating: “If this continues, we risk World War III.”
Trump also reportedly rejected Israeli overtures for U.S. support in a covert operation to assassinate Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, warning that such a move could lead to an uncontrollable spiral of violence across the Middle East.
The war, now in its fourth day, erupted after Iran allegedly launched a cyberattack on Israeli nuclear command systems, prompting Israel to retaliate with a series of aerial strikes.
Since then, Iran has fired more than 150 missiles into Israel, targeting cities like Tel Aviv and Haifa. While Israel’s Iron Dome and David’s Sling systems have intercepted the majority of these projectiles, dozens have slipped through, causing civilian casualties and infrastructural damage.
So far, official reports indicate that 24 Israelis and 224 Iranians have died, with hundreds more injured on both sides. Hospitals in Tel Aviv and Tehran are overwhelmed, and both nations remain under strict emergency conditions.
Amid the military escalation, diplomatic activities have intensified behind the scenes. Sources say Oman has prepared a draft peace framework that includes a phased withdrawal of forces, mutual de-escalation pledges, and the establishment of a multinational monitoring mechanism under the auspices of the United Nations.
Meanwhile, the United Nations and European Union have welcomed Iran’s gesture, with U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres calling for “an immediate and unconditional ceasefire to prevent further civilian suffering.”
Despite the glimmer of hope, the situation on the ground remains perilous.
Israeli jets continue to hover over Iranian airspace, and Tehran has not officially ordered a halt to its retaliatory missile operations. As the war teeters on the edge of broader conflagration, the next 48 hours may determine whether diplomacy prevails—or the Middle East descends deeper into conflict. (Vanguard)
Business
AFRAA welcomes Enugu Air, strengthens Nigeria’s Domestic Aviation growth
The African Airlines Association (AFRAA) has admitted Enugu Air as Member, extending the Association’s membership base in Nigeria’s fast-growing domestic aviation market and reaffirming AFRAA’s commitment to supporting the continued development of African carriers across the continent.
This was announced by AFRAA in Nairobi on Wednesday, making Enugu Air the 50th Member of the association, joining the AFRAA airline fraternity, collectively representing more than 85 per cent of total international traffic carried by African airlines.
Speaking on the occasion, AFRAA Secretary General, Mr. Abdérahmane Berthé, said, “We are delighted to welcome Enugu Air into the AFRAA fraternity.

“As a state-backed carrier serving Nigeria’s rapidly expanding domestic market, Enugu Air represents the kind of homegrown investment that is vital to building resilient air connectivity across our continent.

“We look forward to supporting the airline through the IOSA certification process and to its continued growth within the AFRAA membership, as we work together to advance the cause of unified African skies.”
Reacting to the development, the CEO of Enugu, Capt Tolu Ita, described the admission into AFRAA as a major milestone in the airline’s short history.
“We are honoured to join the AFRAA fraternity. This membership underscores Enugu Air’s commitment to safe, reliable, and affordable air travel for Nigerians while contributing to the vision of a unified African aviation market.
“We look forward to collaborating with fellow AFRAA members and leveraging the association’s support as we grow our network and pursue IOSA certification,” Tolu stated.
Founded on July 7, 2025, Enugu Air commenced commercial operations with a fleet of Embraer E170/E190/E195 aircraft.
The airline, which has its headquarters in Enugu and operates from the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, currently serves nine domestic destinations including Enugu, Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kano and Benin City.
As part of the airline’s growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.
As part of its growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.
The admission of Enugu Air aligns with AFRAA’s strategic priorities and strengthens the voice of the association. Nigeria, as Africa’s most populous nation and one of its fastest-growing economies, remains central to the realization of a truly integrated African aviation market.
Meanwhile, founded in Accra, Ghana, in April 1968, and headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, AFRAA’s mission is to promote, serve African Airlines and champion Africa’s aviation industry.
The association envisions a sustainable, interconnected and affordable air transport industry in Africa, where African airlines become key players and drivers of African economic development.
AFRAA membership cuts across the entire continent and includes all the major intercontinental African operators.
The association’s members represent over 85% of total international traffic carried by African airlines.
News
Aiyedatiwa appoints 1,004 aides, picks commissioner, three advisers
Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has approved a fresh round of appointments involving a commissioner, three Special Advisers and 1,000 other aides.
The appointments comprise 90 Senior Special Assistants and 910 Special Assistants, with the governor saying the move is intended to reinforce his administration and improve its reach across the state.
Erelu Taibat Yemi Oloruntoba, from Akoko North-West Local Government Area, has been nominated as Commissioner for Special Duties. Her nomination has been transmitted to the state House of Assembly for consideration and confirmation.
The governor also appointed Hon. Abimbola Fajolu as Special Adviser on Environment, Chief Ade Adeniyi as Special Adviser on Rural and Community Development, and Mr Muyiwa Ogunyemi as Special Adviser on Transport.
Among those named as Senior Special Assistants are Erelu Toyin Ogungbure, Women Mobilisation (South); Bidemi Obayangbon, Forestry; Gboluge Olufunmi Alex, Community Engagement (South); Hon. Akin Adeniyi, Community Engagement (Central); and Obayan Theophilus Ayodeji, Community Engagement (North).

Others include Kelvin Solomon, Students Affairs; Adeolu Iwakun, Volunteer Services; Samson Job Bazuaye, Oil and Gas; Fade Ojamomi, Youth Empowerment and Job Creation; Sam Adepoju, Public Engagement; and Alhaji Samad Orijeminiyi, Scholarship.
Also appointed are Victor Omodara, Grassroots Mobilisation; Abayomi Adefolalu, Photography; and Alhaji Abdukadiri Adenoyi, Prince Nzuoma Egbulefu and Alhaji Garba Goni, all for Non-Indigenes.
News
40 feared dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto
About 40 people are suspected to have lost their lives after a boat carrying farmers to their rice farms capsized in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
The incident occurred while the victims were crossing a stream to access their farms.
An eyewitness said more than 70 people were on the boat when it capsized shortly after taking off.
The village head was among those on board but he was reportedly rescued.
“So far, we have recovered about 40 bodies, while six people, including the village head, were rescued,” a local journalist who was at the scene, Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, told our reporter.

According to him, the victims comprised farm owners and labourers who had been engaged to harvest rice.
“The canoe capsized shortly after take-off. Rescue operations are still ongoing, with local divers searching for those still missing and recovering bodies,” he said. (Daily Trust)
-
News1 day agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
International1 day agoCanada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
-
Uncategorized1 day ago2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin
-
News1 day agoLagos shuts churches over noise pollution
-
News1 day agoTwo shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
-
News2 days agoWhy I won’t apologise to Okpebholo — Davido
-
News1 day agoEven if Tinubu appoints Seyi as INEC chairman, he’ll be defeated in 2027 — Dalung
-
News2 days agoAccess Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys




