Connect with us

News

Tinubu visits Benue Wednesday, over continued killings

Published

on

Media free to access single-digit loan - Tinubu
President Bola Tinubu
Spread the love

• Commissions $470m Greater Abuja Water Supply Network

President Bola Tinubu has announced his resolve to visit Benue on Wednesday following the continued killing of some residents by suspected Fulani pastoralists.
The president disclosed this on Monday when he commissioned The Greater Abuja Water Supply Network, Loops 1,2,5&6 of the Federal Capital City FCC.
Among guests at the event were the National Chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress APC, Dr Abdullahi Ganduje and the National Secretary of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party PDP, Senator Samuel Anyanwu.
Tinubu who expressed appreciation to the organizers of the event for deeming it necessary to observe a minute silence for victims of the killings, said; “While I sympathize with the Benue people, I have spoken to the Governor, the leadership and people of Benue, to accept our condolences and try hard, very very consciously to maintain peace and harmony among themselves.
“I have always said this, that we are one single huge family living in the same house, staying in different rooms, but living together in harmony, will be the result of our diversity for prosperity. We should be able to manage our anger and frustration.
“I sympathize with those who have lost dear lives. I will adjust my programmes and go see Benue people on Wednesday”.
More than 200 natives were reportedly killed by rampaging herdsmen in Yelwata in Guma Local Government Area of Benue State at the weekend.
Speaking on the water project, Tinubu said the Greater Abuja Water Supply Network, Loop 1, 2, 5 and 6, is a monumental effort that will ensure safe, sustainable and sufficient water to homes, institutions and communities across the capital city”.
“Water is life, it is not a luxury, it is a basic human right and a foundation for public health, urban development and economic growth”, he declared.
Noting that water infrastructure is not only a technical milestone but a moral one because it is about equity, the president said it is about ensuring that no part of Abuja is left behind in his national development agenda.
He said his Administration is only making laudable improvements in the area of Power, Roads and Housing.
“When we speak of renewal, this is what we mean. A tangible, people-focused project that improves the daily lives of ordinary people here. Water to drink, to clean, to grow, to build. That is a real project. It is a treasure that we always take for granted.
“We are not here today merely to lay the pipes. We are laying the groundwork for healthier families, stronger communities and a more productive city. As your President, I remain committed to accelerating the growth, prosperity, delivery of reliable infrastructure, development of human capacity.
“I had to withdraw so many technicians to maintain this achievement. We are doing the same thing on power, roads and housing. These are not just the mere development goals”, he added.
In his remarks, FCT minister, Nyesom Wike recalled how the president, on assumption of office, told him to revive the city’s train service as well as complete The Greater Abuja Water Supply Network.
“You said, look, it is not only road infrastructure, you want the train to work, and you want the water to be supplied to the city.
“This contract was awarded in 2017 at the cost of $470 million in 2017, under the partnership of African Development initiative. The Chinese government provided 85 percent, while the Federal Government and FCT provided 15 percent, which is to take care of Loops 1, 2, 5 and 6.
“You didn’t only stop there. Last year, when you visited China, luckily for us, I was part of the delegation that went with you. There, FCT also signed an agreement with CGC to provide water to rural areas. I want to say today that we are almost done with the procurement process to give water to Bwari, Kubwa, Karu and some of the communities. So, you are not only providing water to the city, you are also providing water to the satellite towns.
“I want to say thank you and I assure you that this project will be completed on time. It will not take like this one that took eight years. We believe your own by next year, we believe on your third anniversary, we will also commission those satellite towns where you are providing water.
“I would like to thank the National Assembly for the support that they have been giving to us. It has been very impressive. It has been very encouraging. Likewise, we will do everything we can to make sure that every day, people will be seeing what you are doing in FCT. Every day, we will make sure that people will see. Those who want to see, will see. Those who don’t want to see, it is not your fault, because they decided not to see”, he said.
The project which is part of the Abuja water master plan entailed laying of 425km of ductile iron pipes among others, and will increase water supply to the FCT from 240, 000 cubic metres per day to over 700, 000 cubic metres per day.

It is also expected to enhance water supply to Phases 2, 3 and 4 in the Northern District of the city and Phases 2 and 3 in the Southern District, in total, 50 districts.

News

Two shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra

Published

on

Anambra CP visits the victims at the hospital.
Spread the love

Two persons sustained gunshot injuries on Wednesday during an attempted arrest by police officers at the River Niger Head Bridge, Onitsha, Anambra State, causing panic and disrupting vehicular and pedestrian movement in the area.

The incident, which occurred around noon, caused gridlock along the busy Onitsha-Awka Expressway, as a confrontation reportedly broke out between the security operatives and some hoodlums.

Eyewitnesses near the scene said the victims were shot during the confrontation and later became unconscious before they were rushed to a nearby hospital.

One of the sources said, “The incident occurred this afternoon. It arose from a confrontation between the police officers and the victims. They were being stopped by the officers for questioning. In an attempt to arrest them, they resisted the arrest and the police fired some shots at them.

“The incident resulted in heavy skirmishes around the Bridgehead Market as people scampered to safety. The area remained in chaos until the arrival of another batch of police team. The victims were later rushed to a nearby hospital.”

Maduka College Advert

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson for the Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, said the incident occurred when the suspects allegedly resisted arrest, resulting in gunshot injuries.

Ikenga said the Commissioner of Police, Nnanna Oji Ama, had visited the scene and addressed the crowd, adding that an investigation had commenced to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident.

According to him, the CP subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses were covered.

He said, “The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji, while addressing the crowd in Onitsha over the incident arising from a confrontation during an attempted arrest, stated that the immediate priority of the Command is to ensure that the victims recover fully.

“The incident occurred when suspects allegedly resisted arrest, resulting in gunshot injuries. The Commissioner of Police subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the Command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses are covered.

“The CP further ordered a thorough and impartial investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident, particularly the events leading to the discharge of the firearm.

“He stressed that the investigation will establish the facts and ensure that appropriate action is taken based on its findings.

“The Commissioner of Police appealed for calm and urged members of the public to remain peaceful and allow the investigation to run its course.”

Ikenga reiterated the command’s commitment to professionalism, accountability, respect for human life and the rule of law.

“Meanwhile, traffic and human movement around the Head Bridge area have been de-escalated, with free flow of vehicular and human movement now restored,” he added.

Continue Reading

News

Lagos shuts churches over noise pollution

Published

on

Lagos Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu
Spread the love

Three churches in Lagos State have been shut down by the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) over noise pollution as part of an enforcement exercise targeting 11 establishments in Agege and Mushin.

The affected churches are Holy Temple of Christ on Ayetoro Street, behind NIPCO Filling Station, Mushin; Christ Covenant Gospel Church, Western District, along Ikorodu Road, Fadeyi, Mushin; and Christ Apostolic Church, Oye Iyanu, located at Mushin Road, Church Bus Stop, Itire.

LASEPA carried out the enforcement operation on Tuesday after the affected establishments had received warnings and notices over environmental violations.

The agency said the establishments were given opportunities to correct the problems but failed to meet the required standards.

The shutdown of the three churches was linked to noise pollution, with the agency maintaining that religious activities and other operations must comply with environmental regulations to protect residents and maintain peace within communities.

Maduka College Advert

LASEPA also sealed Akorohunfayo Central Mosque on Akorohunfayo Street, Fadeyi, Mushin, over noise pollution.

Other establishments affected included Biolarique Bakery Academy on Mushin Road, Mushin, which was sealed for failing to comply with the agency’s directives.

Tiles & Marbles on Silver Street, Olorunsogo, Mushin, was also shut over air pollution.

Five scrap yards operating in Agege and Mushin were equally sealed.

The facilities were accused of various environmental offences, including failure to provide evidence of an E-Waste Permit, environmental pollution and non-compliance with directives issued by LASEPA.

The affected scrap yards are Abubakar Scrap at Pipeline, Ifako-Ijaiye, Agege; Benjamin Scrap Yard on Ladoje Street, Oko Oba, Agege; Starlas and Sons Scrap Yard, also on Ladoje Street, Oko Oba, Agege; Jamin Scrap Yard at Jungle Bus Stop, Iju Road, Agege; and a Scrap Yard on Olu Aina Street, Daleko, Mushin.

LASEPA General Manager, Dr Babatunde Ajayi, said the agency would continue to monitor establishments across Lagos and enforce environmental regulations where operators fail to comply.

He urged religious organisations, business owners, facility operators, scrap dealers and other residents to obtain the necessary permits, follow environmental rules and take steps to prevent activities that could affect public health or the wellbeing of people living around their facilities.

The agency said further monitoring and enforcement exercises would continue across Lagos as part of efforts to maintain a cleaner and safer environment.

Continue Reading

News

Gov Mbah appoints 23 Special Advisers, Senior Special Assistants

Published

on

Enugu Governor Dr Peter Mbah
Spread the love

Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State has approved the appointment of 23 Special Advisers and Senior Special Assistants to support his administration in various areas of governance.

The appointments, contained in a Public Service Announcement signed by the Secretary to the Enugu State Government, Prof. Chidiebere Onyia, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, take effect immediately.
Nine of the appointees were appointed Special Advisers, while 14 were appointed Senior Special Assistants.

Among those appointed as Special Advisers are Hon. Chukwudi Ezinwa, Labour Union and Association Matters; Hon. Sunday Nnamani (Orlando), Special Duties; Mr. Williams Chukwu, Agriculture; Prince Afam Agana, Infrastructure Compliance; and Humphrey Onyima, Investment Strategy and Public Relations.

Others are Hon. Tony Ugwu, Rural Development; Chief Ernest Nweze, Party Coordination and Mobilisation; Hon. Emeka Onunze, Monitoring and Evaluation; and Mr. Robinson Odo (mni), Labour and Productivity.

Those appointed as Senior Special Assistants include Pastor Kenneth Asogwa (Ebube Muonso), Heritage and Community Relations; Pastor Tochukwu Ogbodo, Social Engagement; Barr. Lucky Chukwu, Public Affairs; Belonwu Nnaji, Cultural Orientation; and Hon. Steve Odo, Tourism.

Maduka College Advert

Also appointed are Hon. Francis Ikewette Ede, Public Communication; Mr. Sunny Okafor, General Duties; Hon. Chinedu Okwu Otaka, Social Orientation and Mobilisation; Otaba Cosmas Ikechukwu, Protection of Public Utilities; Pius Okeagu, Assets Management; and Rt. Hon. Innocent Emeka Ugwu, Inter-Party Affairs.

The remaining appointees are Mrs. Eucharia Offor, Human Resource Management; Mr. Kenneth Oforma, Policy and Communication; and Kelvin Ede, Research and Strategy.

The state government said the appointments are effective immediately.

The new appointments are expected to strengthen the administration’s capacity across key sectors, including agriculture, infrastructure, investment, labour, rural development, public communication, tourism, human resources and community relations.

The full statement:

ENUGU STATE GOVERNMENT

OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY TO THE STATE GOVERNMENT

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

The Governor of Enugu State, His Excellency, Dr. Peter Ndubuisi Mbah, has approved the appointment of the following persons as Special Advisers (SPAs) and Senior Special Assistants (SSAs):

1. *Hon. Chukwudi Ezinwa* — Special Adviser on Labour Union and Association Matters

2. *Hon. Sunday Nnamani (Orlando)* — Special Adviser on Special Duties

3. *Mr. Williams Chukwu* — Special Adviser on Agriculture

4. *Prince Afam Agana* — Special Adviser on Infrastructure Compliance

5. *Humphrey Onyima* — Special Adviser on Investment Strategy and Public Relations

6. *Hon. Tony Ugwu* — Special Adviser on Rural Development

7. *Chief Ernest Nweze* — Special Adviser on Party Coordination and Mobilisation

8. *Hon. Emeka Onunze* — Special Adviser on Monitoring and Evaluation

9. *Mr. Robinson Odo (mni) — Special Adviser on Labour and Productivity*

10. *Pastor Kenneth Asogwa (Ebube Muonso)* — Senior Special Assistant on Heritage and Community Relations

11. *Pastor Tochukwu Ogbodo* — Senior Special Assistant on Social Engagement

12. *Barr. Lucky Chukwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Public Affairs

13. *Belonwu Nnaji* — Senior Special Assistant on Cultural Orientation

14. *Hon. Steve Odo* — Senior Special Assistant on Tourism

15. *Hon. Francis Ikewette Ede* — Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication

16. *Mr. Sunny Okafor* — Senior Special Assistant on General Duties

17. *Hon. Chinedu Okwu Otaka* — Senior Special Assistant on Social Orientation and Mobilisation

18. *Otaba Cosmas Ikechukwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Protection of Public Utilities

19. *Pius Okeagu* — Senior Special Assistant on Assets Management

20. *Rt. Hon. Innocent Emeka Ugwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Inter-Party Affairs

21. *Mrs. Eucharia Offor* — Senior Special Assistant on Human Resource Management

22. *Mr. Kenneth Oforma* — Senior Special Assistant on Policy and Communication

23. *Kelvin Ede — Senior Special Assistant on Research and Strategy*

The appointments take effect immediately.

Signed:
Prof. Chidiebere Onyia
Secretary to the Enugu State Government

Wednesday, 19th August, 2026

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert