Connect with us

Politics

Atiku, Peter Obi, El-Rufai adopt ADC as official platform for opposition coalition

Published

on

Spread the love

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi, and ex-Kaduna State governor Nasir El-Rufai have reportedly adopted the African Democratic Congress (ADC) as the official platform for a new opposition coalition.

According to a Bloomberg article, the trio reached the decision after a high-level meeting held on Tuesday, signalling the formal emergence of the long-anticipated political alliance.

An anonymous source who confirmed the outcome of the meeting, said, “They have adopted the African Democratic Party as the coalition party — all of them (Atiku, Obi, El-Rufai) are working together. They came to the conclusion last night up till the early hours of this morning. You know politicians meet when we are asleep.”

The source further disclosed that the meeting included other leaders and stakeholders who subsequently established committees tasked with ironing out the coalition’s details and logistics.

“All the leaders and stakeholders of the coalition were there. They set up committees to dot the Is and cross the Ts, while preparing the way for the eventual public unveiling of the coalition. But effectively, as we speak, the coalition has been born,” the insider added.

Maduka College Advert

Though the coalition has yet to announce an official unveiling date, the source suggested it will happen “very soon”.

Former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babachir Lawal, confirmed on Wednesday that while coalition talks were progressing, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) was not considered a viable platform for the arrangement.

When asked whether Atiku was moving to the ADC and why the PDP was not considered the coalition vehicle, Lawal described the PDP as “a house we cannot modify,” stressing that its internal problems were too deep-rooted for it to serve as a credible vehicle for change.

“In all the analysis I’ve seen so far, nobody has ever bothered about, ‘let’s adopt PDP as the platform.’ We all agree that PDP has an incurable virus. No antibiotic can cure what is ailing PDP, and we don’t want to go into a house that we cannot modify, that is not willing to change. So PDP is not in that list,” he said during an interview with ARISE News.

Lawal revealed that the technical committee driving the coalition project had been weighing two main options — to form a new political party, or to adopt an existing smaller party with a national spread and reform potential.

“Do we get another party that we could move into, modify it, upgrade it, and strengthen it for elections, or do we register a new political party? We have technical committees of experts looking into both of this. And I am sure, as we speak, we are getting to the end of the process, and I think we’ll soon announce a party that we’ll move into, or maybe we’ll register a new party,” he said.

Politics

OSUN POLL: ‘I’m bulldozer, not afraid of FG, governors backing APC candidate’ — Adeleke

Published

on

Osun Governor Ademola Adeleke
Spread the love
Accord Party governorship candidate in the Osun State governorship election, Ademola Adeleke, has declared that he is not intimidated by the alleged support of the Federal Government and some state governors for the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate.

Adeleke described himself as a “bulldozer”, saying he was prepared to face what he described as federal might and the influence of governors backing his opponent.

The governor stated this on Tuesday during the Arise Townhall Meeting, where he also said he was not afraid of the governors supporting the APC candidate.

“I am a bulldozer. I am talk and do. I am not afraid of federal might and governors backing the APC candidate. If they like, they should bring all the governors,” Adeleke said.

He said the governors were his friends and expressed confidence that their presence in Osun would not determine the outcome of the election.

“Those governors are my friends. I am a civilised administrator. They won’t vote; they can only come and dance, and after the election, we will meet,” he said.

Maduka College Advert

Adeleke also rejected allegations that his administration had militarised Osun State, saying he lacked the authority to deploy the armed forces.

“I did not militarise Osun. I have no such capacity. I am not the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces,” he said.

The governor’s comments came amid heightened political activities ahead of the Osun governorship election, with the major political parties intensifying their campaigns and mobilisation across the state.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu’s re-election: Uzodinma, Umahi don’t speak for Ndigbo — Igbo Community in FC

Published

on

Gov Hope Uzodinma and Engr David Umahi
Spread the love

Ahead the 2027 Presidential election, the leadership of the Igbo Community Association (ICA) the umbrella socio-cultural organization in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) strongly refutes and rejects the recent statements made by Imo State Governor Hope Uzodimma, Minister of Works David Umahi, and Senate Deputy Chief Whip Onyekachi Nwebonyi claiming that the South-East electorate is fully united behind President Bola Tinubu’s re-election bid.

President General of the Igbo ethnic body, Nze Engr. Ikenna Ellis-Ezenekwe stated in a press Statement on Monday emphatically stated that the three of them are neither spokespersons of Igbos in the FCT. He added that, “these three are merely being sent out to talk for Tinubu against the interest of Igbos. The South-East considers the Tinubu administration as a failed administration and for this reason will not vote Tinubu.”

The ICA President noted for the avoidance of doubt, that it wishes to set the record straight for the public and the political establishment that the mandate to speak for the Igbo People neither lie in the hand of Governor Hope Uzodimma, Minister David Umahi, nor Senator Onyekachi Nwebonyi who under Tinubu arrogate to themselves as the spokespersons for the Igbo ethnic group.

Nze Ikenna Ellis-Ezenekwe, further agued that elected political appointees and ruling-party actors do not hold a mandate to declare a political consensus on behalf of millions of Igbo citizens.

The statement reads further, “These endorsements represent the personal political preservation strategies of a few office holders seeking to retain favor with the presidency. They do not reflect the true political stance, socio-economic realities, or grassroots sentiment of the South-East region.

Maduka College Advert

“The grassroots population across the South-East considers the current federal administration to have failed on key economic and administrative metrics.

“The assertion that President Tinubu will sweep all five South-East states in 2027 is completely detached from the prevailing conditions on the ground.”

Meanwhile, The Igbo Community Association (ICA) FCT urges public officials from the South-East to focus on their constitutional duties, governance, and the immediate economic needs of their constituents, rather than attempting to trade away the political sovereignty of the Igbo electorate for personal leverage.

Continue Reading

Politics

Osun Election: Don’t allow a repeat of 1983 crisis – Adeleke warns Tinubu

Published

on

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke
Spread the love

…Says Osun won’t tolerate rigging

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has warned President Bola Tinubu not to allow rigging the August 15 governorship election in the State or risk political violence as witnessed in 1983.

The Governor, who was addressing party supporters at Orita-Sabo in Olorunda local government area of Osun State on Monday, also said the President must wake up to his responsibility of protecting the people from police harassment.

According to him, the President is watching without concern, the political crisis in Osun being perpetrated by his party chieftains despite the fact that Accord has endorsed him as the 2027 Presidential candidate.

“Mr President, I want you to take note of my words, I m the Chief Security officer of Osun, you are a Yoruba man and Osun is Yorubaland, yet, your party chieftains are perpetrating political violence while you look the other way.

“Mr President, all we demand for is a free and fair election, if anybody try to do otherwise, the political crisis of 1983, when some people tried to rig Michael Ajasin in Ondo State out of power, may repeat itself again.

Maduka College Advert

“Mr President call your people to order, call police chiefs to order, I am the governor here not any other person. Accord has already endorsed you as it’s candidate, why are we suffering again.

“You fought for democracy in Nigeria and you must not allow your people destroy it. Wake up to your responsibility Mr President, stop the shenanigans going on in Osun”, he warned.

Earlier, the Imole Campaign Council Director-General, Senator Lere Oyewumi tasked the people to troop out en masse to cast their votes for the party as the only way to return Adeleke to office again.

He said the good work of the governor is enough to warrant the people to vote for him again, calling on the electorates to votes and protect their vote on election day.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert