
News
Alleged N110bn fraud: Yahaya Bello to appear in court today
Former Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, is currently being detained at the holding facilities of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in Abuja.
Bello, who was declared wanted by the anti-graft agency in April over an alleged N110bn fraud, was finally grilled after all efforts to have him arrested and stand trial proved abortive.
Since filing the charges against the former Kogi governor, the commission has not been able to bring him to court for arraignment.
The commission had initially filed 19 charges against Bello, along with his nephews Ali Bello, Dauda Suliman and Abdulsalam Hudu for money laundering offences amounting to over N80bn.
But the charges were reduced to 16 on September 25, with the total sum allegedly laundered rising to over N110bn.
He, alongside other defendants, was alleged to have bought a total of 12 houses in various locations in Abuja with the money.

The offences, the EFCC said, were contrary to Section 311 of Penal Code Law Cap 89 Laws of Northern Nigeria, 1963 and Punishable under Section 312 of the same Law.
To stop his arraignment, Bello had filed an application before Justice Emeka Nwite, which the judge rejected on July 17.
Displeased with the ruling, Bello approached the Court of Appeal but was overruled.
A three-member panel led by Hamma Barka on August 20 dismissed the appeals filed by Bello and ordered him to surrender himself for trial.
He was also unsuccessful with his move for the transfer of his trial from the Abuja division of the Federal High Court to the Lokoja division.
Also, efforts by the commission to arrest Bello were allegedly prevented by his successor, Usman Ododo.
In April, Ododo reportedly facilitated Bello’s escape from EFCC operatives during a raid on his residence in Abuja.
In April, the EFCC had declared Bello wanted after he reportedly shunned a series of invitations and resisted arrest.
EFCC officials had stormed Bello’s residence in Abuja to arrest him, but there was a stalemate.
After hours of being unable to secure their mission, the security operatives reinforced with backup support from the Police and Department of State Services.
They were planning to forcefully arrest Bello when Governor Ododo, Bello’s successor, arrived at the scene.
Ododo, who drove into Bello’s compound, departed after a while.
However, as he was leaving, reports filtered in that Bello was in his vehicle, forcing security operatives, who had been on standby for hours, to allegedly open fire.
Also, in September, Bello reportedly evaded arrest by the anti-graft agency with the assistance of his successor, Ododo.
The September incident was after Bello and Ododo went to the EFCC headquarters.
While the media team of the former Kogi State governor insisted that he was at the facility of the EFCC, the anti-graft agency’s spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, insisted that Bello remained wanted.
But Bello’s team, led by its Director, Ohiare Michael, said Bello was at the EFCC office alongside his successor, Usman Ododo, but was not interrogated by the commission and was told he could leave.
“Earlier today (September 18), we reported the voluntary visit of former Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission office to honour the Commission’s invitation.
“In the statement, we reiterated the former Governor’s great respect for the rule of law and constituted authority and stressed that all the while, he only sought the enforcement of his fundamental rights to ensure due process,” the statement partly read.
At the last hearing on November 14, the EFCC had sought for adjournment till November 27 in the fresh case it instituted against Bello, saying that the 30 days window was still running for the summons earlier issued.
Justice Maryanne Anenih of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, sitting in Maitama, Abuja, had issued a public summons on October 3, requiring the former governor to appear before the court to face a fresh 16-count charge brought against him and two others by the EFCC.
In the case marked FCT/HC/CR/778/24, the former governor was accused of criminal breach of trust involving the sum of N110,446,470,089, among other charges, alongside Umar Shuaibu Oricha and Abdulsalam Hudu.
Bello was ordered to appear before the court on October 24, but he failed to. The court subsequently extended the summons to November 14.
At the last adjourned date in the matter before Justice Anenih, Bello was given till November 27 or would be arraigned in absentia.
The court issued a public summon for Bello to appear before it to answer the 16 new charges pending against him.
Justice Anenih issued the summons after the EFCC filed an application claiming inability to serve Bello with the charge filed on September 24.
EFCC counsel Jamiu Agoro informed the court that the 30-day duration of the public summons issued against the former governor would lapse on November 17. He clarified that the summons was still valid.
Agoro argued that it would be inappropriate to take the plea of the defendants while the summons remained in effect. He added that the former governor was expected to appear at the next adjourned date, failing which the prosecution would take appropriate action.
Agoro also requested the court to extend the time within which Bello must appear and to issue an order for the hearing notice to be pasted at his last known address, Number 9, Benghazi Street, Wuse Zone 4, Abuja.
Justice Anenih subsequently adjourned the case to November 27 (today).
On Tuesday, multiple EFCC sources told The PUNCH that Bello had been arrested by the anti-graft agency in Abuja.
One of the sources, a top EFCC official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not permitted to speak on the issue, said the Chief Security Officer of the commission arrested Bello.
“He was arrested by our CSO. He was taken in around 12:59 pm. He later brought three of his lawyers,” the source said.
The source added that Bello was interrogated by investigators on the allegations against him for hours.
“He is being held at our detention facility after he was interrogated over the allegations against him for hours. The interrogation will still continue.”
Meanwhile, it was learnt that barring any unforeseen circumstances, the EFCC would arraign the former Kogi governor on Wednesday (today).
Another top source in the commission told our correspondent, “Definitely he will be at the FCT High Court tomorrow (today). Having evaded proceedings since the commencement of his trial, his arrest has presented us an opportunity to finally arraign him. I can assure you that he will have his day in court on Wednesday (today).”
EFCC’s spokesman, Dele Oyewale, could not be reached as of the time of filing this report.
Also, the Director of Yahaya Bello’s media office, Michael Ohaire, did not pick up several calls to his number and was yet to respond to the message sent to his line as of the time of filing this report. (PUNCH)

News
I regret trusting my community elders,’ says Cubana Chief Priest after primary election defeat
Pascal Okechukwu, popularly known as Cubana Chief Priest, has reacted to his defeat in the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Orsu/Orlu/Oru East Federal Constituency seat in Imo State.
The celebrity businessman, who serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the City Boys Movement, had sought the APC ticket to contest for a seat in the House of Representatives.
Reacting after the outcome of the primary election in a viral video, Cubana Chief Priest said he had no regrets contesting for the position. Still, he expressed disappointment over what he described as misplaced trust in community elders.
“I’m a hustler, and I didn’t regret trying to contest for a position. My only regret was trusting the elders in the community. I know how much I gave them, but only 14 people voted for me in the primary,” he said.
Cubana Chief Priest had announced his political ambition earlier this year, advocating for what he described as cleaner and issue-based political participation driven by young Nigerians.
Following his defeat, reactions trailed the outcome on social media, with some users mocking the businessman and suggesting he may have underestimated the dynamics of Nigerian politics.

However, Ossai Ovie Success defended him against online criticism.
“Why are people mocking Cubana Chief Priest? Not nice… it’s ok to try and try again,” he wrote on Facebook.
“He lost an election and so what? I am disappointed,” he added.

News
Peter Obi mourns 17 police officers killed in Yobe deadly terror ambush
Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has expressed deep sorrow over the killing of security personnel during a recent terrorist attack on a military school in Yobe State, describing the deaths as a painful national tragedy.
In a statement issued on Saturday, Obi extended condolences to the leadership of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the Police following the reported death of 17 police officers and an unspecified number of soldiers during the attack.
“I extend my sincerest condolences to the High Command and Leadership of the Nigerian Military and the Police over the tragic loss of our courageous officers,” Obi said.
“It is with deep sadness that I acknowledge the heartbreaking death of 17 brave police officers, alongside an unspecified number of soldiers, who made the ultimate sacrifice during the recent terrorist attack on a military school in Yobe State.”
The former Anambra State governor said the nation must stand in solidarity with the military, police authorities, and the families of the slain officers.
“At this moment of profound sorrow, the entire nation stands in solidarity with the leadership of the Armed Forces, the Police, the affected commands, and the wider security community,” he stated.

Obi stressed that the continuous loss of security personnel and innocent civilians should not be treated as routine, warning that insecurity must be confronted with urgency and sincerity.
“Every security personnel killed is a tragedy to our nation. Every fallen officer represents a family thrown into grief, children left without parents, and communities robbed of those sworn to protect them,” he said.
He called on the Federal Government to prioritise the welfare of families of fallen officers through adequate compensation and long-term support.
“The Federal Government must ensure adequate compensation, support, and long-term welfare for the families of all those who paid the supreme price in service to our nation,” Obi added.
The Labour Party chieftain further urged authorities to adopt decisive and strategic measures to tackle insecurity across the country.
“A nation cannot continue to normalise the killing of its security personnel and innocent citizens without urgent, decisive, and strategic action. We must confront insecurity with sincerity, professionalism, and the political will necessary to protect lives and restore public confidence,” he stated.
Obi also sympathised with the bereaved families, assuring them that the sacrifices of the slain officers would not be forgotten.
“To the families of the fallen heroes, I offer my deepest and most heartfelt sympathies. We mourn with you, and we honour the courage and sacrifice of your loved ones. May their souls rest in eternal peace,” he said.

News
Enugu 2027: Civil society group kicks against Nnaji clearance
A Civil society organization, The Defence for Democracy, has criticized the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) for clearing former minister of Science and Technology, Uche Geoffrey Nnaji, to contest the primaries for the forthcoming governorship elections in Enugu State despite being under investigation over alleged forged credentials.
Nnaji resigned from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s cabinet over allegations of forgery and is currently being investigated by relevant authorities.
In a statement issued by the National President of the organisation Dr. Emeka Nwachukwu, and made available to journalists, the organisation questioned the integrity of the entire screening and accused the party of working in favour of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The organisation said the APC will have sufficient grounds to fast-track accelerated hearing of the forgery case and eventually upturn any victory in the name of the former minister should he win.
The group stressed that “leadership must be built on trust, integrity, and credibility. The people of Enugu State deserve leaders whose records can withstand public scrutiny without fear or controversy.”
The organisation emphasized that while the allegations are not yet proven before a competent court of law, the PDP has a moral responsibility to raise the red flag on the former minister, “Because we are all in this country, and we know that in an event that this former minister wins, there will be an accelerated hearing that will hand over that victory to the APC.

“We believe firmly that Enugu deserves honest leadership, grassroots connection, and a leader who understands the pains of the people, and there are many such people.
“From our findings there are people who represent a great future, and as an organization, we stand for good governance, and when our findings throw up people of impeccable character, we naturally step in to ensure that they excel.
“We therefore find it strange that people can move from controversy to ambition without addressing the questions hanging over their names.”
The organisation called on the aspirant to immediately clear his name before throwing himself into the race, stressing that the allegations and public reports surrounding his academic credentials are too weighty to be ignored.
The organisation called on the National Secretariat of the PDP to immediately intervene and save the party the embarrassment, stressing that “We are watching events in Enugu and other parts of the country, and we would have issued this statement to congratulate the Enugu state chapter of the party if it screened out the former minister, because there is a moral burden there which is far beyond what the courts might eventually pronounce.”

-
News3 days agoJAMB announces date for change of institution, result printing
-
News1 day agoEnugu 2027: Civil society group kicks against Nnaji clearance
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: US, Nigerian Forces kill ISIS Commander in Nigeria, Says Trump
-
Cubana Chief Priest (right)
Cubana Chief Priest (right)News1 day agoCubana Chief Priest loses APC House of Reps ticket
-
News2 days agoU.S.-based Nigerian jailed 115 months for money laundering, romance scam
-
News3 days agoTeacher shot, Principal and students kidnapped as gunmen storm Oyo schoolP
-
News3 days agoWhy Tinubu almost sacked me as chief of staff – Gbajabiamila
-
News3 days agoNigeria’s inflation rises to 15.69% in April


