Connect with us

News

Detention of Minor for 3 Months: Group petition PSC, demands N50million

Published

on

Detention of Minor for 3 Months: Group petition PSC, demands N50million
• Police Service Commission logo
Spread the love

A human rights group, Civil Rights Realisation and Advancement (CRRAN) has petitioned the Police Service Commission (PSC) over the alleged three-month illegal detention of a 16-year-old secondary school student in Enugu and demanded N50 million as compensation.

The petition signed by Olu Omotayo, President of CRRAN, made available to newsmen in Enugu on Friday was copied to the Inspector General of Police, Abuja, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, Chairperson, Renewed Hope Initiative for Women, Youths and Children, State House Abuja.

The petitioners demanded the payment of the sum of N50 million compensation to the child by the Nigerian Police for the grave violation of the rights of a Nigerian child.

Parts of the petition read: “We write to you in respect of the above-mentioned matter on behalf of Mr. Mrs Eze whose 16-year-old son Arinze Eze an SS2 student in one of the secondary schools in the state, was unlawfully detained for over 3 months at the Police Headquarters Enugu from the 9th October 2023 to 12th January 2024, over a phantom case of rape.

“The 16-year-old was released after our intervention and serious advocacy by the media.

“The beautiful aspect of the boys’ case is that the office of the Attorney General of Enugu State which had earlier requested from the Police the case file of the boy sometimes in December 2023, after a thorough study of the case file found nothing against the boy and directed the immediate discharge of the teenager.

“Mr. Eze said he received a phone call from the State Ministry of Justice on the 16th January 2024, and was informed of the decision of the Attorney General.

SEE ALSO:  Tinubu’s govt admits there’s food security crisis, sets up committee to tackle hunger

“It becomes worrisome that an innocent child who did nothing was tortured and brutalized while in detention for three months.

Advertisement

“Since the release of the child from detention, the parents have been taking him to hospital because of the deteriorating condition of his health.

“The teenager who was looking pale narrated to us how he was tortured while in detention by a policeman named Ifeanyi who used police baton to beat him all over his body joints in order to make him confess to what he did not do.

“The little Eze said his torture was supervised by the Officer in Charge (OC) D 18, State CID Enugu.

“The torture and unlawful detention of this child who committed no offence, for over three months at the Police Headquarters Enugu, is a grave assault on the UN Convention on the Rights of the child (UNCRC) and the Child Rights Act 2003, which is a National law.

“We demand a thorough investigation of this matter by the government which should ensure that the perpetrators of this heinous crime are made to face the full wrath of the law.

“It is unimaginable that the OC Legal the number one, Legal Officer of the state Police Command will be part of this ignominious act, one wonder the type of advice he gives to the state Command as it affects rights of the citizens In their interaction with the Police.

“Nigeria should move along with comity of decent nations of the world and this type of barbarity should never be allowed in this country under any guise whatsoever,” the petition added.

Advertisement
Advertisements
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Peter Obi should be held responsible for anarchy arising from August 1 hunger protest – Presidency

Published

on

Bayo Onanuga
Spread the love

Bayo Onanuga, a senior to President Bola Tinubu, has alleged that supporters Mr Peter Obi, former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, LP, are planning mayhem in Nigeria.

Onanuga claimed that the proposed nationwide protests were being planned by Obi’s supporters, whom he described as failed presidential candidate.

According to him, Obi should be held responsible for whatever crisis that would emanate from the action.

In a post on his X handle on Saturday, Onanuga said the proposed protest planners are also the same people who were instigated by the incarcerated IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu to launch the destructive ENDSARS protest in Nigeria in October 2020.

He wrote: “REVEALED: Peter Obi’s supporters are the people planning mayhem in Nigeria: Obi should be held responsible for anarchy

“Don’t be fooled: the malcontents planning to stage nationwide protests are supporters of Peter Obi, the failed presidential candidate of the Labour Party. And he should be held responsible for whatever crisis emanates from the action.

“The protest planners are also the same people who were instigated by IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu to launch the destructive ENDSARS protest in Nigeria in October 2020. ENDSARS began as a genuine protest by youths against the Police Special Anti-Robbery Squad, notorious for its high-handedness. IPOB members planning to extricate the South East region from Nigeria infiltrated the protest and hijacked it for their own agenda. Lagos still bears the scar of the malicious destruction by IPOB elements until today.

“Two years after ENDSARS, the IPOB and the gullible innocents joined the Labour Party in 2022 to support Peter Obi, a sympathiser of their cause.

Advertisement

They are the people spreading the hashtags ‘EndBadGovernance’, ‘Tinubu Must Go,’ and ‘Revolution2024’. They are not democrats but anarchists. They are attempting to call out our people via propaganda because their Messiah, Peter Obi, failed to win the Presidency in the 2023 election. As bad losers, they don’t have the patience to wait for another election in 2027; they would rather destabilise Nigeria by staging a civilian coup against President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Gov Mbah bags Presidential Award for MSMEs development
Continue Reading

News

Two brothers drown in FCT River

Published

on

Two brothers drown in FCT River
•The river behind the village
Spread the love
Two brothers, Joshua and Samson, have drowned in a river in Robukya community in Kwali Ward in Kuje Area Council of the FCT.

A relation of the deceased, Musa Abednego, who confirmed the incident to our reporter on Thursday, said it happened on Tuesday around 9am while they were crossing the river.

He said the brothers, Joshua and Samson, were between the ages of nine and 12 and that they were on their way to the farm when the incident happened.

He explained that the victims got drowned following a heavy rainfall which made the river to overflow.

He said, “Their father asked them to hold on after the rain subsided. Unfortunately, they left home to the farm without him knowing.”

Abednego said their corpses were recovered on Wednesday around 4pm through the help of some fishermen, adding they had been buried.

The spokeswoman of the FCT Police Command, SP Josephine Adeh, was yet to speak on the incident.                                              Daily Trust

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Lagos: Flood sweeps away pupil returning home from school
Continue Reading

News

CBN intervenes in foreign exchange market

Published

on

CBN intervenes in foreign exchange market
Central Bank of Nigeria
Spread the love
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has started selling foreign exchange on a regular basis through Authorised Dealer Banks and licensed Bureaux De Change (BDCs) as a response to the current fluctuations in the foreign exchange market.

These fluctuations are primarily caused by the demand pressure coming from corporate entities and the seasonal increase typical during the summer period.

By implementing regular sales of foreign exchange, the CBN aims to stabilise the market and ensure smoother transactions for both businesses and individuals involved in foreign exchange activities.

Director, Financial Markets Department of the CBN Dr Omolara Omotunde Duke in a statement on Friday night assured the public of the bank’s commitment to address the demand pressure and stabilize the foreign exchange market.

Highlighting recent transactions, the CBN disclosed that it sold a total sum of US$106,500,000.00 to 29 authorized dealer banks on Thursday, July 18 and Friday, July 19, 2024.

These transactions took place within an exchange rate range of N1,498.00/US$1 to N1,530.00/US$1. Additionally, the CBN purchased US$9,500,000 (Nine Million and Five Hundred Thousand Dollars) from four authorized dealer banks at rates between N1,510.00/US$1 and N1,550.00/US$1. All these transactions are marked for settlement on July 19, 2024.

The Central Bank also stated its commitment to closely monitor compliance with existing trading rules and regulations by authorized dealer banks. This is seen as an effort to promote ethical conduct and ensure stability in the foreign exchange market.

The general public was also advised to direct their foreign exchange demands to their respective banks and BDC operators, adhering to prevailing market regulations.

SEE ALSO:  Rivers announces date for Local Govt elections

With the regular sale of foreign exchange and ongoing monitoring of trading practices, the CBN aims to meet demand pressure, foster stability, and sustain a well-functioning foreign exchange market.

Advertisement
Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending