Connect with us

News

Drama at Enugu Guber Tribunal as PDP opposes LP’s attempt to amend blunders

Published

on

• Governor Peter Mbah - Chijioke Edeoga
Spread the love

…As Mbah, INEC, PDP picks holes in LP case

There was mild drama at the Enugu State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal, Wednesday, as 1st Respondent, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC); 2nd Respondent, Governor Peter Mbah of the Peoples Democratic party (PDP); and 3rd Respondents, PDP, opposed an attempt by the petitioners, Labour Party (LP) and its governorship candidate, Hon. Chijioke Edeoga, to amend grave errors in their final written address.

The petitioners had in their final written address prayed the court to declare LP winner of the Rivers State governorship election instead of the Enugu State governorship election.

The petitioners lead counsel, Chief Adegboyega Awomolu, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), had after the adoption of final written address by the Respondents, made an application seeking to correct some fundamental errors in their final written address earlier submitted to the tribunal.

Apart from using Rivers in place of Enugu, the Petitioners also said they used the word “negative” instead of “positive” in paragraph 4.4 line 1, while they also observed another ‘error’ at paragraph 4.3 (a) line 2, where they wrote 2nd Respondent (Peter Mbah) instead of the ‘Petitioner’.

Maduka College Advert

However, INEC, through its counsel, Abdul Mohammed Rafindadi (SAN), opposed the application, asserting that it was a calculated attempt to change the position the Petitoners had earlier taken in their written addresses.

Citing several authorities, including Fingesi v. INEC (2019) where the court refused to grant application for such amendments, INEC said it was a procedural defect to ask for an amendment of a final written address and therefore enjoined the court to throw out the application.

INEC insisted that it was not a typographical error, but an admission by the Petitioners that they had lost the case.

Also opposing the application, the lead counsel to Peter Mbah, Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN), said the injustice the Respondents would suffer if the application was granted could not be remedied, insisting that the Petitioner wanted to add a further address.

He said that the Respondents had already adopted their final written addresses, hence for them, the matter was closed.

Meanwhile, the LP, in their final written address hinged their case on Dr. Peter Mbah’s National Youth Service (NYSC) discharge certificate, which they alleged was forged.

They also alleged falsification of election results as well as over-voting in some polling units.

However, the Respondents – INEC, Mbah, and PDP – in their written addresses, dismissed the allegations and equally carpeted the witnesses of the petitioners, including the LP Polling Unit agents, who, during their cross-examination, admitted that they were not documented by INEC in accordance with the provisions of the Electoral Act 2022 and the INEC Guidelines.

They also held that the Petitioners failed to prove allegations of falsification of results and over-voting. They maintained that while the Petitioners failed to present witnesses to prove over-voting, the fact that agents of LP signed the contested results nullified their allegations, going by several judicial authorities.

Describing the reliance of the Petitioners on Mbah’s NYSC discharge certificate as “a no moment”, the Respondents held that not only should the issue of NYSC discharge certificate not have arisen in the first place since it is neither a qualification for the position of governor as listed in Section 177 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) nor an educational qualification, which could be considered as a document required in aid of qualification, the Petitioners also failed to prove a case of forgery against the Governor.

News

‘How fake federal agency tricked us’ – Anambra govt

Published

on

Anambra Governor, Chukwuma Soludo
Spread the love

Details have emerged on how the Anambra State government got involved with the fake federal agency domiciled in the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF.

The agency was said to be planning to organize a Made in Nigeria fair in the state after the Secretary to the State Government, SSG, Mrs Chiamaka Nnake, was made the focal person for Anambra State.

However, following the discovery by the ICPC that the agency is fake, the Anambra SSG lamented that the agency tricked the state government into hosting its maiden Made in Nigeria fair in Anambra in December.

In a statement titled, ‘CLARIFICATION ON THE “MADE-IN-NIGERIA AGENCY AND MY ROLE AS STATE FOCAL PERSON, Nnake said: “I wish to clarify the circumstances surrounding the trending news concerning the purported “Made-in-Nigeria Agency,” in which my photograph has been displayed and I have been identified as one of the state coordinators.

“In January 2026, the Governor received a letter from the Made-in-Nigeria Office, said to be under the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, requesting the nomination of a State Focal Person. In response, the Governor, in February 2026, nominated me as the State Focal Person for Anambra State.

Maduka College Advert

“Following the nominations, Focal Persons from the 36 states have been in a WhatsApp group engaging on issues relating to the activities of the office.

“More recently, the same office wrote to the State requesting that Anambra host the South East Made-in-Nigeria Fair. The request was approved, and an inaugural meeting was held about two weeks ago, with the National Coordinator in attendance.

“Since then, the State Committee has been working on preparations for the Fair, which is scheduled to take place from 2nd – 5th December 2026.

“Beyond these official interactions and engagements, I have no knowledge of, involvement in, or connection with any other activities, claims, or developments attributed to the said office.

“I therefore wish to make it clear that anything beyond the above-mentioned official interactions is entirely outside my knowledge and involvement”.

Continue Reading

News

Atiku breaks silence on FBI’s refusal to make Tinubu records public

Published

on

‘Who is in charge of Nigeria presently?’, Atiku queries Tinubu, Shettima’s absence
Atiku and Tinubu
Spread the love

Presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Atiku Abubakar, has reacted to the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation’s refusal to publicly release certain records relating to President Bola Tinubu, arguing that citing “danger to lives” cannot justify withholding potentially disclosable information from public scrutiny.

The FBI had filed a motion seeking permission to submit ex parte and in camera declarations explaining why it withheld some investigative records concerning allegations of drug trafficking involving Tinubu.

In an application dated August 20, the agency told the US District Court for the District of Columbia that it could not publicly disclose all the reasons for withholding certain records, hence its request to make the declarations privately before the court.

Reacting in a statement issued on Saturday in Abuja by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, Atiku questioned the FBI’s justification for secrecy, arguing that Nigerians were already bearing the consequences of the government’s economic policies.

“The FBI says disclosure could endanger lives. Which lives? Nigerians are already dying,” he said.

Maduka College Advert

Atiku linked the hardship to the removal of fuel subsidy, arguing that the policy had triggered increases in transportation costs, food prices and production expenses while putting pressure on jobs and household incomes.

“Fuel affects transportation. Transportation affects food prices. Energy affects production. Production affects jobs. All of them determine whether an ordinary Nigerian family can survive until the end of the month,” he said.

The former Vice President also reiterated his pledge to reverse the fuel subsidy removal if elected, describing his proposed approach as one that would be accountable and protected against abuse.

On the FBI records, Atiku said he was not demanding the release of sensitive information that could compromise investigations, including the identities of undercover agents, confidential sources or investigative techniques.

“Protect your agents. Protect your sources. Protect legitimate investigative methods. Redact whatever American law genuinely requires you to redact. But do not stretch those protections until they become a bulletproof vest for Tinubu,” he said.

Atiku described his position as a democratic appeal rather than an attempt to interfere in Nigeria’s internal affairs, insisting that Nigerians had a right to know the background and character of the person leading the country. (Saturday Tribune)

Continue Reading

News

Four family members, dog die after eating Amala meal in Kogi

Published

on

Amala meal
Spread the love

Four members of the same family have reportedly died after consuming amala in Ihima, Okehi Local Government Area of Kogi State.

The family’s dog was also reported to have died after consuming the same food.

Following the incident, the Kogi State Government has ordered an immediate investigation into the circumstances surrounding the deaths.

The state Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Fanwo, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday, saying the Governor of Kogi State, Ahmed Ododo, had directed the Commissioner for Health to commence a comprehensive investigation into the incident.

“The Chief Servant is deeply concerned by this tragic incident and has directed the Commissioner for Health to immediately investigate the circumstances surrounding the deaths, with particular attention to the possibility of food poisoning or food contamination.

Maduka College Advert

“The investigation must establish the facts and determine whether the food consumed by the deceased was contaminated or whether any other medical or environmental factor contributed to the deaths.

“Relevant samples and available evidence should be properly examined in accordance with established public health procedures,” Fanwo quoted the governor as directing.

Fanwo said the state government was also concerned by reports that the family’s dog died after consuming the same food, adding that the development would form part of the investigation.

He said the governor had directed the Ministry of Health to work with relevant agencies and stakeholders to ensure that the investigation was thorough and that appropriate public health measures were taken based on its findings.

“The government urges members of the public to remain calm and avoid drawing conclusions about the cause of the deaths until the investigation is concluded and the facts are established by the relevant authorities,” the commissioner said.

Fanwo said the governor commiserated with the bereaved family and the people of Ihima over the incident, praying that God would grant the family the strength and comfort to bear the loss.

He assured the people of Kogi State that the government would make further information available as soon as verified facts emerge from the investigation.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert