Connect with us

News

Alleged drug case: Tinubu was never convicted, US-Nigerian doctor opens up

Published

on

Spread the love
A Nigeria-born US-based medical practitioner and Convener of Social Rehabilitation Gruppe (SRG) Dr Marindoti Oludare, maintained that fact-check has unraveled the true circumstance that Bola Tinubu was never involved in drug dealings in the United States of America.

Oludare in a statement signed by his Personal Assistant on Media, Kayode Fashua, said, “Tinubu’s love affair with his nation Nigeria is one that has taken a lot of sacrifices.

“One thing that is universal about true love is that love is giving and Tinubu has always given without holding any lien. Many a times this gift has not been reciprocated by those who’ve received, other times the gift has been maligned its beneficiaries. A case in point is the $460,000 he forfeited in September 1993,” he said.

Oludare stated that “Asiwaju’s money of over two million dollars were seized in January 10 1992 but an official filing was not made until July 15 1993 (19 months after), a court order for the seizure was not officially given until Aug 19 1993 and the banks did not receive an official notice until Aug 25 1993.

“The compromise settlement was filed September 15, 1993 and Asiwaju was given another 10 days to come and claim the remaining $460,000 if he chooses to.

“A thinking mind will ask, why did the prosecutor wait 19 months to file a case then settle it under two months. This is because the prosecutor never had a case against Asiwaju. Had Asiwaju been a white man, maybe his fate would have been different in the racist American judicial system. Let’s go into the details of the case because that’s where the devil lies.

Maduka College Advert

“The prosecutor identified the logistics of handling cash as a problem for drug dealers, but there was never a report of $1 in cash transactions been made across those accounts.

“Has anyone ever met somebody who sold drugs in checks and wire transfers ? All the financial transactions referenced in the suit originated from Asiwaju’s bank account. Even the prosecutor was honest enough to acknowledge that Asiwaju had earned interest from his bank deposits.

“Seizing the funds in his accounts was a prosecutorial overreach and Asiwaju would have successfully defended and won a suit against the United States government.

“Asiwaju was a victim of trusted associates who attempted to use his legitimate business transaction history to create a legitimate paper trail in their own account from which they would be able to make huge deposits without raising a red flag.”

He further said; “There is the Bank Secrecy Act of 1970 that compels the bank to notify authorities of any transactions over $10,000. Had Asiwaju been involved in any illicit activities, he would not have had the audacity to make so much transactions for fear of being caught.

“Not only was Asiwaju innocent of the any illicit activities but he was oblivious of the illicit activities of his then associates and the evidence was presented in those same court filings.

“On Jan 13, 1992, Bola Tinubu spoke with the prosecutor and acknowledged those men and having business associations with them. A rational thinking mind would wonder “had Asiwaju been aware of the illegal activities of his associates would he have owned up to knowing them and having business transactions with them after his funds had been frozen?

“The answer is no, he would have preemptively denied them and distanced himself from them as much as he could. When the popular internet fraudster hushpuppy was arrested, none of his friends and associates owned up to knowing him let alone having any business to do with him.

“Fast forward to Jan 30 1992,  Asiwaju called back to saying he does not know those men or have anything to do with them. This goes to show that he did not know those guys were involved in illegal activities up until that point.

“The prosecutor never told him his funds were seized until he discovered while trying to make a transfer , they never told why his funds were seize and anything about the allegations those men were being investigated for.

“Asiwaju, a dogged fighter who was described by his nephew “Wale Tinubu as stubborn never wanted to negotiate at that juncture according to Wale who was a lawyer on the case at the time.

“So you will wonder, what made Asiwaju decide to negotiate and compromise. The answer lies in evaluating Asiwaju’s life and what he was involved in at the time.”

He, however, urged protagonists to desist from witch-hunting the Nigeria’s President-elect.

TRIBUNE

News

IBB, Nwachukwu, Osoba, others pay tributes to Sam Amuka at Vanguard 40th anniversary book launch

Published

on

Spread the love

Former military Head of State, Ibrahim Babangida, and former Ogun State Governor, Olusegun Osoba, have paid glowing tributes to veteran journalist and Vanguard founder, Sam Amuka-Pemu, as Vanguard Newspapers marked its 40th anniversary book launch.

The event was held on Wednesday at the Civic Centre, Victoria Island, Lagos, bringing together prominent personalities from the political, business, diplomatic, security and media sectors, as well as former and current members of the Vanguard family.

The anniversary featured the launch of The Vanguard Chronology: 40 Years of Nigeria’s Leading Tabloid, a publication documenting major events, personalities and defining moments in Nigeria’s history through Vanguard’s coverage over four decades.

Babangida hails Amuka

Babangida described Amuka as a national icon and praised Vanguard for its contribution to journalism, democracy and the documentation of Nigeria’s history.

“I salute a national icon. We are not marking another year but celebrating a monumental year,” Babangida said.

Maduka College Advert

According to the former Head of State, who was represented by Professor Mohammed Yahaya, the 40th anniversary is a testament to Vanguard’s commitment to principled journalism and its influence on journalists and editors across generations.

He described Amuka as “a custodian of our collective conscience and a cornerstone of our democracy.”

Babangida said the anniversary publication was more than a book, describing it as a documentation of Vanguard’s contribution to Nigeria’s development over four decades.

“This work is far more than a book. For 40 years, Vanguard has shaped Nigeria’s history, a defender of democratic ideals. This publication is a tribute to that legacy that I am honoured to be associated with,” he said.

He also commended the Vanguard Media Alumni Association for producing the publication, saying the book provides an opportunity to understand Nigeria’s past while drawing lessons for the future.

Babangida said the Vanguard Chronology captures the principles and values that have guided the newspaper, particularly the courage and determination demonstrated by Amuka throughout his career.

“It is our sincere hope that this publication will serve as a historic document for unborn generations,” he said.

He urged Nigerians and members of the media to emulate Amuka’s exemplary life and values, while expressing gratitude to the Vanguard Media Alumni Association for the honour.

Osoba celebrates Amuka’s journalism legacy

Also speaking at the event, Osoba described the occasion as historic, saying it was an opportunity to celebrate Amuka and his contribution to Nigerian journalism.

“It’s a historic occasion. Today, we are celebrating a person,” Osoba said.

The former governor recalled Amuka’s early days in journalism and described him as a risk-taker who played a major role in the establishment of The PUNCH before founding Vanguard in 1984.

Osoba also praised Amuka’s personality, describing him as a “jolly fellow” who conducted interviews without taking notes.

He further commended Amuka for creating an environment where columnists at Vanguard could freely express their views.

“Today, we are talking about a man who is as free as Uncle Sam. He allows his columnists to express themselves,” Osoba said.

In a lighter moment, Osoba spoke about Amuka’s love for food, joking about his regular visits to his favourite amala group despite having what he described as “the best cook in the world”.

Osoba thanked the chairman of the anniversary committee, members of the organising team and all those who attended to honour Amuka.

He described the 91-year-old journalist as “a great Nigerian journalist” who remains active in the profession.

Nwachukwu calls for renewed media campaign for Nigeria

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ike Nwachukwu also commended Vanguard Newspapers for its contributions to Nigeria over the past four decades.

Sam Amuka and Gen Ike Nwachukwu rtd at the Vanguard’s 40th Anniversary Celebration

“Vanguard Newspaper has done so much for our country,” Nwachukwu said.

While noting that the African continent continues to face challenges, he called on Nigerian media organisations to take the lead in projecting the country positively and promoting national pride.

“Even though the African continent is still suffering, I am asking the Nigerian media to lead the charge one more time, to lead the media to sell the Nigerian pride,” he said.

Nwachukwu urged the Nigerian media to use its influence to tell the country’s story, highlight its achievements and promote a stronger sense of national identity.

Obaigbena salutes Amuka

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of ThisDay Arise Group, Nduka Obaigbena, described Amuka as an icon and a colossus in Nigerian journalism.

Obaigbena urged Nigerians to recognise and celebrate Amuka’s contributions to the media industry and his enduring influence on journalism in the country.

“He is an icon and a colossus. I urge the people of Nigeria to salute a man of the people,” Obaigbena said.

The 40th anniversary book launch and reunion provided an opportunity for readers, partners and other stakeholders, alongside former and current members of the Vanguard family, to reflect on the newspaper’s four-decade journey and its enduring place in Nigeria’s media landscape. (Vanguard)

 

Continue Reading

News

Police arrest unconscious transformer vandal in Enugu

Published

on

The suspected vandal
Spread the love

Enugu State Police Command, has arrested a 23-year-old suspected transformer vandal, identified as Nnaji Chidiebere, after he was found unconscious with various degrees of burns he sustained while allegedly vandalising a transformer along Ogbaike Road, Obollo-Afor, Udenu Local Government Area of Enugu state

This was contained in a statement issued in Enugu by the Police public relations officer of the state Police Command, SP Daniel Ndukwe on Tuesday.

According to him, “His arrest followed credible information from community members that he had been discovered at about 2:20 p.m., trapped inside the transformer while allegedly attempting to vandalise it.

“Upon receiving the information, operatives of the Command attached to Udenu Police Division promptly mobilised to the scene, found the suspect unconscious with various degrees of burns. He was immediately evacuated to a nearby hospital, where he was resuscitated and subsequently referred to a specialist hospital for further treatment.

“Upon regaining consciousness, the suspect identified himself as Nnaji Chidiebere and stated that he had been alone at the scene. Preliminary investigation, however, has linked him to transformer vandalism in the area. Further investigation is ongoing to determine the full extent of his activities, identify possible accomplices, and facilitate his prosecution.

Maduka College Advert

*The Commissioner of Police, CP Mamman Bitrus Giwa, psc, mspsp, smicm, commended the community members for their prompt intervention and information, which enabled the Police to respond swiftly, rescue and arrest the suspect.

“He reiterated the Command’s firm commitment to protecting critical public infrastructure and urged residents to continue providing timely and credible information on suspicious activities.”

Continue Reading

News

Access Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys

Published

on

Spread the love

• Funds stolen from customers’ corporate accounts, transferred to over 70 accounts in different banks

Access Bank Plc has approached the Federal High Court in Lagos seeking to recover ₦1.34 billion allegedly siphoned from the accounts of four corporate customers through unauthorised transactions on its Access SME internet banking platform.

The bank’s legal action followed the discovery on August 12, 2026, of suspicious transfers involving the accounts of MIB TXN Bullion, Aba Branch; AIICO General Insurance Company Limited; Apogee Engineering Limited; and SIMS Nigeria Limited.

Court documents showed that a total of ₦1,340,425,393 was allegedly transferred from the four accounts and subsequently distributed to accounts domiciled with Access Bank and 71 other financial institutions.

The affected amounts were ₦590,975,889 from MIB TXN Bullion, ₦420,449,504 from AIICO General Insurance Company Limited, ₦136 million from Apogee Engineering Limited and ₦193 million from SIMS Nigeria Limited.

In an ex-parte application marked FHC/LAG/MISC/1168/2026, Access Bank asked the court to preserve the funds and prevent their further movement pending the determination of its substantive suit.

Maduka College Advert

The bank listed 71 financial institutions as respondents and sought orders directing them to place post-no-debit restrictions on accounts and Bank Verification Numbers (BVNs) linked to the alleged fraudulent transfers.

It also asked the court to compel the affected banks to disclose the amounts remaining in the beneficiary accounts and watchlist the BVNs associated with accounts that received the funds.

Access Bank further sought an order directing the reversal of any recovered funds into its account, but the court declined to grant the request at the preliminary stage.

In its affidavit, the bank said its internal investigation established that the funds had been transferred without the authorisation of the affected customers and subsequently distributed among several accounts.

The bank said it immediately contacted the affected financial institutions, notified them of the suspected fraud and requested that the funds be preserved while investigations continued.

It argued that urgent court intervention was necessary to prevent the suspected proceeds from being withdrawn, transferred or otherwise dissipated.

Access Bank also maintained that preserving the funds was necessary to protect its customers and prevent cybercrime capable of causing significant financial and economic damage.

Justice Akintayo Aluko, after considering submissions by Access Bank’s counsel, Ifeoma E. Enyinnaya, granted three of the reliefs sought by the bank.

The judge held that the essence of the application was to preserve the funds from further dissipation and that the court had a duty to protect the subject matter of the case.

However, Justice Aluko declined to grant the relief seeking immediate reversal of the recovered funds, holding that such an order would amount to a final determination of part of the case at the preliminary stage.

The court subsequently adjourned the matter until August 31, 2026, for further proceedings.

Justice Aluko also directed Access Bank’s counsel to file an undertaking as to damages in the event that the orders granted by the court are later found to have been unwarranted.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert