Connect with us

News

REVEALED: True story of how female lawyer died while chasing her husband’s girlfriend

Published

on

Spread the love

The true story has emerged of how a female lawyer in Calabar, the Cross River state capital, Mrs Clara Bassey died in a car crash last Sunday while chasing her husband, Mr Sonnie Bassey in the company of his alleged girlfriend.

Barrister Sonnie Bassey was said to have come from Akwa Ibom State while his wife was from Imo State. There have been different versions of the incident and the identity of the person in the centre of the saga who tipped off the deceased wife prompted her to go after her husband.

According to a family source who begged for anonymity, the late wife had been suspecting the husband for a long time but didn’t know who the girlfriend really was. He told Saturday Vanguard that the relationship between the husband and the girlfriend had been going on for a long time.

A close friend of the husband who did not want his name in print said, “Sonnie and I attended St Patrick’s College. He grew up here in Calabar. He was a car dealer before he became a lawyer. We play chess together. He lived at Barracks Road, near Bogobiri before moving to his present home. He and his wife had been having issues over the girl and when information got to the wife that her husband who said he was travelling out of town was actually in town, she was terribly angry and that was the reason for the hot chase”.

It was learnt that the said girlfriend, who hails from Yakur Local Government Area of the state, who is a single mother was not just a girlfriend but also a brilliant lawyer who had been assisting the husband to write his legal briefs and that they had been dating for a long time.

Last Sunday, the husband was said to have travelled out of town but when he came back he decided to see his girlfriend first before going home and that was when a third party saw them together at the Spar Supermarket and called the wife to tip her off. The late wife reportedly waited for them at the Stadium very close to the Supermarket in a Toyota Highlander and when she sighted her husband and his girlfriend driving past in a Mercedes Benz car, she pursued them.

Maduka College Advert

About a kilometre away from point of taking off, at the New Secretariat, the husband on top speed veered off the highway and headed towards Atekong Drive and the wife in an effort to follow the husband on the same route lost control and rammed into one of the ornamental trees by the roadside completely wrecking the car and sustaining mortal wounds in the process.

From his rear mirror, the husband saw what happened, stopped the car asked his girlfriend to alight from the car and went back to attempt to rescue his wife. Other road users joined in the rescue and she was taken to the Nigerian Navy Reference Hospital, about a kilometre away, still on the same route for medical attention.

A family source at the hospital said before the wife gave up the ghost, Mr Sonnie was remorseful and with tears in his eyes, he knelt beside his dying wife begging the lifeless body for forgiveness and urging her to come back to life and take care of their three children.

According to the source, “it was at the hospital that the man wailed seriously begging the wife to forgive him, while professing all his love for her, asking her to wake up. The woman who made the call to the deceased wife that her husband was with his girlfriend was actually at the hospital when she was pronounced dead. But the family members didn’t realise this at the time until they checked the deceased’s phone and discovered that the woman who had been with them all along in the hospital was the one communicating with the deceased.

“All that said, I can tell you that the husband loved the wife and never joked with his family, he is very passionate about them, and did everything that a father and husband should do. The stories and so many versions you have been reading are mostly false. Just a few days ago he was said to be in a coma, some said that he was dead, but all were pure falsehood.

“It is natural for someone in his shoes to feel sober, withdrawn from people when bereaved but I can also tell you that he might be feeling all that, but he is definitely not in any dangerous situation at the moment.

“The single mum who was his ‘side chick’, and has now deactivated her social media accounts was not the cause of the accident and the death of the victim, the lady who tipped off the deceased is the real killer. As a matter of fact, she was also at the hospital when the victim was pronounced dead. When I realized that she was the one who was responsible for sending the victim to her early death, I felt like beating her, but it was late by that time we realized it.

“The husband might be in a sober mood but there is no serious health issue arising from the incident that I’m aware of. He is a great father, husband and hardworking man, but was just a victim of circumstance,” the source said.

Another friend of the family who also pleaded anonymity told Saturday Vanguard that what happened was just unfortunate because the husband was a gentleman to the core.

“He was indeed hospitalised but we hope he gets better soon, he battled with stroke some time ago, he is just recovering and coupled with what happened again, he is only human, they should stop peddling death rumour and remember his kids in the mix. The relationship with his late wife started as far back as 2004 or thereabout and it ended in marriage with three kids, it’s rather sad that this kind of thing happened to him because both of them were inseparable love birds, he was always with her all the time.

“The children are currently being taken care of by a family friend, all we are doing is praying for him to be strong, the deed has already been done, and people should allow the family to mourn in peace. This kind of thing that happened to him could have happened to anybody.

“There are cases of divorce that he even refunded money to female clients while preaching peace because he doesn’t believe in separation or divorce, he is just a gentleman people should consider his children and stop judging him”, the source stated.

A friend of late Clara, Mrs Ann told Vanguard that the man should be held responsible for the death of his wife because of his action. “The man refused to take his children back to school that day on the pretext that he was travelling out of town for business but the trip was to keep a date with a ‘side chick’. Which woman would hear that and not be infuriated?”

Another lady, Oge Okafor in her reaction blamed the deceased for her action which she described as “thoughtless”. She said, “was it the best thing for her to run after her husband and his girlfriend? No now. Let us assume she caught up with them and exchanged words or fought them, would that have stopped the man from going out? Omo there are many ways to kill a rat, abeg”.

The family of the deceased could not be located but the home of the couple was under lock and key when we visited.

News

I regret trusting my community elders,’ says Cubana Chief Priest after primary election defeat

Published

on

Cubana Chief Priest reads City Boys manifesto booklet during a meeting
Spread the love

Pascal Okechukwu, popularly known as Cubana Chief Priest, has reacted to his defeat in the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Orsu/Orlu/Oru East Federal Constituency seat in Imo State.

The celebrity businessman, who serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the City Boys Movement, had sought the APC ticket to contest for a seat in the House of Representatives.

Reacting after the outcome of the primary election in a viral video, Cubana Chief Priest said he had no regrets contesting for the position. Still, he expressed disappointment over what he described as misplaced trust in community elders.

“I’m a hustler, and I didn’t regret trying to contest for a position. My only regret was trusting the elders in the community. I know how much I gave them, but only 14 people voted for me in the primary,” he said.

Cubana Chief Priest had announced his political ambition earlier this year, advocating for what he described as cleaner and issue-based political participation driven by young Nigerians.

Following his defeat, reactions trailed the outcome on social media, with some users mocking the businessman and suggesting he may have underestimated the dynamics of Nigerian politics.

Maduka College Advert

However, Ossai Ovie Success defended him against online criticism.

“Why are people mocking Cubana Chief Priest? Not nice… it’s ok to try and try again,” he wrote on Facebook.

“He lost an election and so what? I am disappointed,” he added.

Continue Reading

News

Peter Obi mourns 17 police officers killed in Yobe deadly terror ambush

Published

on

Peter Obi condemns deportation of Osun indigenes by Lagos gov't
Peter Obi
Spread the love

Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has expressed deep sorrow over the killing of security personnel during a recent terrorist attack on a military school in Yobe State, describing the deaths as a painful national tragedy.

In a statement issued on Saturday, Obi extended condolences to the leadership of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the Police following the reported death of 17 police officers and an unspecified number of soldiers during the attack.

“I extend my sincerest condolences to the High Command and Leadership of the Nigerian Military and the Police over the tragic loss of our courageous officers,” Obi said.

“It is with deep sadness that I acknowledge the heartbreaking death of 17 brave police officers, alongside an unspecified number of soldiers, who made the ultimate sacrifice during the recent terrorist attack on a military school in Yobe State.”

The former Anambra State governor said the nation must stand in solidarity with the military, police authorities, and the families of the slain officers.

“At this moment of profound sorrow, the entire nation stands in solidarity with the leadership of the Armed Forces, the Police, the affected commands, and the wider security community,” he stated.

Maduka College Advert

Obi stressed that the continuous loss of security personnel and innocent civilians should not be treated as routine, warning that insecurity must be confronted with urgency and sincerity.

“Every security personnel killed is a tragedy to our nation. Every fallen officer represents a family thrown into grief, children left without parents, and communities robbed of those sworn to protect them,” he said.

He called on the Federal Government to prioritise the welfare of families of fallen officers through adequate compensation and long-term support.

“The Federal Government must ensure adequate compensation, support, and long-term welfare for the families of all those who paid the supreme price in service to our nation,” Obi added.

The Labour Party chieftain further urged authorities to adopt decisive and strategic measures to tackle insecurity across the country.

“A nation cannot continue to normalise the killing of its security personnel and innocent citizens without urgent, decisive, and strategic action. We must confront insecurity with sincerity, professionalism, and the political will necessary to protect lives and restore public confidence,” he stated.

Obi also sympathised with the bereaved families, assuring them that the sacrifices of the slain officers would not be forgotten.

“To the families of the fallen heroes, I offer my deepest and most heartfelt sympathies. We mourn with you, and we honour the courage and sacrifice of your loved ones. May their souls rest in eternal peace,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Enugu 2027: Civil society group kicks against Nnaji clearance

Published

on

PDP rejects Edo election results in three LGAs
Spread the love

A Civil society organization, The Defence for Democracy, has criticized the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) for clearing former minister of Science and Technology, Uche Geoffrey Nnaji, to contest the primaries for the forthcoming governorship elections in Enugu State despite being under investigation over alleged forged credentials.

Nnaji resigned from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s cabinet over allegations of forgery and is currently being investigated by relevant authorities.

In a statement issued by the National President of the organisation Dr. Emeka Nwachukwu, and made available to journalists, the organisation questioned the integrity of the entire screening and accused the party of working in favour of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

The organisation said the APC will have sufficient grounds to fast-track accelerated hearing of the forgery case and eventually upturn any victory in the name of the former minister should he win.

The group stressed that “leadership must be built on trust, integrity, and credibility. The people of Enugu State deserve leaders whose records can withstand public scrutiny without fear or controversy.”

The organisation emphasized that while the allegations are not yet proven before a competent court of law, the PDP has a moral responsibility to raise the red flag on the former minister, “Because we are all in this country, and we know that in an event that this former minister wins, there will be an accelerated hearing that will hand over that victory to the APC.

Maduka College Advert

“We believe firmly that Enugu deserves honest leadership, grassroots connection, and a leader who understands the pains of the people, and there are many such people.

“From our findings there are people who represent a great future, and as an organization, we stand for good governance, and when our findings throw up people of impeccable character, we naturally step in to ensure that they excel.

“We therefore find it strange that people can move from controversy to ambition without addressing the questions hanging over their names.”

The organisation called on the aspirant to immediately clear his name before throwing himself into the race, stressing that the allegations and public reports surrounding his academic credentials are too weighty to be ignored.

The organisation called on the National Secretariat of the PDP to immediately intervene and save the party the embarrassment, stressing that “We are watching events in Enugu and other parts of the country, and we would have issued this statement to congratulate the Enugu state chapter of the party if it screened out the former minister, because there is a moral burden there which is far beyond what the courts might eventually pronounce.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert