Connect with us

News

2023: I’m Obedient, I support Peter Obi for president – Archbishop Chukwuma

Published

on

…says Obedient Movement is a national project

The Archbishop of Enugu Ecclesiastical Province, Anglican Communion, Most Rev. Emmanuel Chukwuma, on Monday, said that the Obedient Movement of the Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has become a national project.

He said that the popularity and acceptability was so high that the opponents and enemies alike would not be able to pull him down no matter the campaign of calumny.

Chukwuma who was reacting to reports in the media quoting him as saying that Enugu state was not ‘Obidient’, said he is not and has never been against Obi’s presidential ambition but rather has supported it more than those persecuting him.

The Archbishop has received much backlash after he said “we in Enugu State are not ‘Obedient’”.

The Archbishop has now said Obi’s fame became so high because he showed credibility, character, honesty and capacity in public office, as governor of Anambra state and other offices he had previously held.

He said, “My own concern is that Peter Obi, found to be very credible, Nigerians should be out to make sure that young people should be given chance and allow him to clean the mess that we’re in Nigeria.

“It is quite clear that in this country people know me as speaking out, I’ve been condemning the evil in this society and in Nigeria.

Advertisement

“And we are very much aware that even in my synod, I condemned the evil things happening in this government led by Buhari and I meant it that we need a new Nigeria, new Nigeria, a new win into a new wineskin.”

SEE ALSO:  Senegalese President: Nigerian youths only interested in being PAs – Sowore

Explaining himself Chukwuma said, “There is no doubt that I said, both Atiku and Tinubu are expired and they have no new things to offer us. And I talked about being Obidient nationally. But the situation is that living in Enugu and seeing what has happened in the past years where PDP has been in power for years and other parties have not surfaced until now, it has become very much necessary for people to know that Enugu as it is has been so entrenched into a party called PDP.

“I totally support Obidient nationally, but State wise, I’m talking about the personalities in the state, and I do know that those in the state that are not corrupt will be endorsed and voted by us. We’re praying that the right people under God will come up in this nation to vie for positions that will make Nigeria to be better.

“Some people are going now in many states to hide under Obidient, Obidient is Peter Obi personified. Obidient is Peter Obi, there is no party called Peter Obi in Nigeria and so no persons should hide under the name Obidient thinking that you can win election because nationally we are ready for change. We are talking about personalities, people like Obi who can come and deliver Nigeria and the states out of the mess.

“Let it be clear to Nigerians that, I’m not against Peter Obi and I’m not against Obidient nationally, but State wise, Obidient may not work. Because, it is going to be a matter of personality and not a matter of party and again, Obidient is Peter Obi personified, nobody in the state is Peter Obi, so it may not be possible for you to say states can be Obidient like Enugu, because it depends on the strength, structure and the power of the party in government particularly the incumbency.

SEE ALSO:  Nigerian Army frees 230 detainees cleared of ties with Boko Haram

“So I want us to please get it clear, all those who have been writing things against me should note that I’m not a person anybody push aroud, and by the grace of God, nobody has settled me and nobody can settle me, I’ve not received money from anybody. I’m only expressing myself with what I’ve observed and seen.

“Let us be very careful of corrupt politicians who may want to run under Obi or Obidient because they feel that it is catching much wave.

“All that I’m saying is that we must think about the personality, integrity, and pedigree of the person in any party that is going to vie for position in Nigeria, they should not hide under Obidient as if to say, they are going to win election.”

Advertisement
Advertisements
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Abuja British School shuts down over bullying, assault of female student

Published

on

Abuja British School shuts down over bullying, assault of female student
• Lead British International School
The management of Lead British International School, Abuja, has shut down the institution over the bullying incident that went viral on social media.

An X user, @mooyeeeeeee, posted two videos where the victim she identified as Maryam Hassan was repeatedly slapped by another female student. Brithe

The video generated thousands of comments by netizens who called on the school authorities to investigate the matter.

At a meeting on Tuesday, the school authorities announced a 3-day closure to enable them probe deeply into the matter.

A top member of staff said the decision to shut down the school temporarily was in the interest of all parties involved.

Earlier reports said tempers flared at the meeting when a parent walked up to the student who bullied her colleague and gave her a slap.

The student, who has been severely criticised,  was seen walking into the premises accompanied by elderly males.

A lady identified as one of the parents walked up to the student, asking her, “She is proud of what she did. You are proud of what you did! You are proud right? Someone’s child; innocent child, you beat her, did you give birth to her? I am asking you, did you give birth to her?”

Advertisement

The student was trying to walk away so as to avoid confrontation, but the angry parent shoved her, saying, “I’m asking you: did you give birth to her?” The student muttered some incoherent words and the angry parent responded with a slap, before other elderly person around moved in to douse tension.

The Lead British International School had earlier said it has launched investigation into the matter.

SEE ALSO:  Over 1,000 kidnapped victims so far rescued without ransom — FG

In a statement issued earlier on Monday, it said the counselling unit of the school is helping the victimised student overcome the emotional and psychological impact.

The statement read, “We are committed to providing a safe and supportive learning environment for all our students. Hence, upon learning of the incident, we initiated the process of reaching out to the victim and family with a view to providing support, including access to counselling services to help them cope with the emotional and psychological impact of the incident.

“Additionally, we will be working with the perpetrators and their families, offering counselling and disciplinary measures to address their behaviour which has no place in society.

“We have also immediately initiated an investigation, appointing a dedicated team to conduct a thorough inquiry into the matter. The team has been gathering information, including reviewing video footage and interviewing witnesses, to understand the full scope of the incident and identify the immediate and remote causes.”

The federal government has also confirmed shutting down of the Lead British International School, Abuja for three days over the case of a student of the school, Namtira Bwala who was physically bullied and assaulted by her classmate, Maryam Hassan.

The Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye, who visited the school on Tuesday,  announced the shutting down of the school following the outrage that trailed the viral video of how and where the female, Maryam brutally slapped and bullied Namtira.

Advertisement
Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Yahaya Bello: NBA disowns protest by lawyers

Published

on

Yahaya Bello: NBA disowns protest by 'fake' lawyers
• The protesting 'lawyers'
• Says protesters not lawyers

The Nigerian Bar Associaiton (NBA) on Tuesday, disclaimed a protest by lawyers over what they called the illegal approach of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in handling its allegations against former Governor of Kogi, Yahaya Bello

The no fewer than 500 persons who claimed to be legal practitioners from across the country on Monday, stormed the Supreme Court complex.

The lawyers, under the umbrella of judicial watchdogs, faulted the siege on the ex-Gov’s residence, in a bid to arrest him, in spite of  a valid court order to the contrary, which had not been vacated.

Meanwhile, in a short notice to newsmen on Tuesday, the NBA through its National Publicity Secretary, Mr Habeeb Lawal, says the group of protesters are not lawyers.

The notice reads: “The above report refers.

“The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) is aware that some news outlets have reported this news.

“Please be informed that while the NBA respects the rights of citizens to assemble and protest, we insist that this particular group of persons are not lawyers.

“For completeness, their supposed leader or convener Sylvanus K. Alewu is not a name known to us,” he said. (NAN)

Advertisement
Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Gunmen abduct many students in Delta
Continue Reading

News

7 repentant bandits surrender weapons in Plateau

Published

on

7 repentant bandits surrender weapons in Plateau
• Surrendered weapons

Special Adviser to the Plateau Governor on Security and Coordinator of Operation Rainbow, Brigadier General Gakji Shipi (rtd), has announced that the non-kinetic approach to addressing security challenges in the state is showing positive results.

General Shipi (rtd) revealed that seven notorious bandits have surrendered and given up their weapons, including AK-47 rifles, to security agencies.

During a briefing with journalists on Monday, General Shipi (rtd) praised the joint efforts of security agencies, vigilantes, and hunters in Wase local government area for their recent actions in combatting banditry and other security threats.

He highlighted that the collaboration among these groups had led to the surrender of the weapons by the bandits. General Shipi (rtd) explained that although the bandits were initially hesitant to surrender out of fear of reprisal, they eventually decided to abandon violence and willingly return their weapons.

He stressed that the increasing incidents of armed banditry had prompted security agencies to broaden their focus beyond known hotspots to other regions.

The special adviser credited this achievement to the united efforts of Wase local government authorities, local vigilante groups, the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON), the Department of State Services (DSS), and the police.

General Shipi (rtd) stated, ““For quite some time now, we have been taking a look at the security situation bedevilling the state and apart from the kinetic approach, we have decided to adopt the non-kinetic means to solve the problem.

“We have also decided to shift attention to other areas, especially Wase local government area, which had had fair share of armed banditry and the endeavours have started recording success.

Advertisement

“Some of the criminals and bandits have returned their weapons to us and you know we are still negotiating, but for fear of being prosecuted, some of them have surrendered their weapons to us without coming out, but with the confidence measures we are building more will return their weapons as well as surrender to the authorities”.

SEE ALSO:  Soldiers Killing: Wanted Delta monarch whisked to Abuja

While General Shipi (rtd) did not disclose the exact number of bandits who had surrendered, he confirmed the return of seven AK-47 rifles, suggesting that seven individuals have turned away from banditry.

“We are still in the negotiation phase, and we are hopeful that more bandits will follow suit in renouncing violence and returning their weapons”, he noted.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending