
International
Iowa female prison worker arrested for having sex ‘multiple times’ with inmate in utility closet, recreation yard
- Kayla Bergom, 27, faces three counts of sexual misconduct and six years of jail
- She is accused of having sex with an unidentified male inmate, 29, several times between September 2020 and April 2021
A female employee at an Iowa prison has been arrested after allegedly having sex with an inmate multiple times over the course of seven months.
Kayla Bergom, 27, is facing three counts of sexual misconduct for engaging in sexual activity with the unidientified inmate, 29, while she worked at the Tama County Jail.
The fling occured between September 2020 and April 2021, and they had sex in a utility closet on at least one occasion and in the recreation yard at least twice, The Gazette reported.
Tama County Sheriff Dennis Kucera told The Gazette that Bergom had worked for the jail for three years prior to her resignation and was charged in May.
Her trial is set to take place on August 12. The former jail employee, who has pleaded not guilty, is facing up to six years of jail.

It’s unclear whether the inmate is still behind bars, but The Gazette reported that Bergom had sex with him several times while he was an inmate between September 2020 and April 2021.
‘Federal law makes it illegal for prison guards to have sex with incarcerated people. This is because incarcerated people cannot legally give consent,’ according to non-profit think tank Interrogating Justice.
‘If a prison guard has sex with an incarcerated person, the guard can face up to 15 years in prison,’ it added.
The investigation was handled by the Iowa Divsion of Criminal Investigation after a county employee had filed a complaint. It was then concluded in March.

The ex-prison employee and the inmate are believed to have had a sex in one of the pirson’s utility closets and in its recreational yard. Pictured: Tama County jail in Iowa
Tama County Jail is a small facility that can only hold up to 30 inmates serving short sentences for up to a year, according to Templeton1.org.
Interactions between staff and inmates are believed to be direct, and the prison has medical, laundry, and kitchen services included inside of it.
Meanwhile, earlier this month, Alabama inmate Casey White was charged with the murder of his prison guard lover Vicky White after she helped him escape prison and the pair went on the run for 11 days before being caught.
Casey, 38, and the prison guard staged a well-planned escape from a Florence, Alabama, jail for what she falsely claimed was a mental health evaluation on April 29. The pair then swapped vehicles and used disguises as they made it across three states.
The pair were on the run for 11 days when Vicky White, 56, was shot dead after a police chase in Evansville, Indiana. Authorities said at the time that she shot herself in the head. Casey was immediately arrested after the chase on May 9.
International
Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
Canada has invited 1,000 candidates through its Express Entry system to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class.
The invitation round was conducted on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, according to the latest ministerial instructions published by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
The department said candidates required a minimum Comprehensive Ranking System score of 523 to receive an invitation.
“Number of invitations issued: 1,000,” the notice stated.
It added that candidates ranked among the first 1,000 eligible foreign nationals in the group were eligible to receive invitations.

The round was conducted at 10:13:44 UTC on August 18, with a tie-breaking rule of August 17, 2026, at 22:09:00 UTC.
The tie-breaking rule means that “If more than one candidate has the lowest score, the cut-off is based on the date and time they submitted their Express Entry profiles.”
The invitations were issued under the Canadian Experience Class, one of the classes managed through Canada’s Express Entry system.
The ministerial instructions, signed by Canada’s Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, Lena Metlege Diab, in Ottawa on August 18, stated that invitations could be issued between August 18 and August 19, 2026.
“Invitations may be issued to eligible foreign nationals who rank among the first 1,000 eligible foreign nationals in the group ranking,” the instructions stated.
Express Entry is Canada’s primary online system for managing permanent residence applications from skilled workers.
It covers three federal economic immigration programs: the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Worker Program, and the Federal Skilled Trades Program.
Candidates create profiles that are ranked using the Comprehensive Ranking System, which awards points for factors including age, education, language ability, work experience, and other human capital attributes.
The highest-ranked candidates are invited to apply in periodic rounds.
The Canadian Experience Class is designed for skilled workers who already have Canadian work experience and wish to become permanent residents. Eligibility generally requires at least one year (1,560 hours) of skilled work experience in Canada within the past three years in occupations under National Occupational Classification TEER categories 0, 1, 2, or 3, along with minimum language proficiency (Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for TEER 0 or 1 jobs, and CLB 5 for TEER 2 or 3).
There is no education requirement and no need to show settlement funds.
Applicants must plan to live outside Quebec.
The August 18 draw followed a pattern of frequent CEC-focused rounds in 2026. A previous Canadian Experience Class draw on August 5 issued 3,000 invitations with a lower CRS cut-off of 516.
The latest round’s reduced volume and higher cut-off of 523 mark one of the more selective CEC invitations so far this year.
As of mid-August 2026, IRCC had already issued well over 113,000 invitations through Express Entry, with a substantial share going to Canadian Experience Class candidates.
International
Thousands begin journey home from Morocco border with Spain
Thousands of people turned back from the Spanish enclave of Ceuta and returned to Morocco’s Fnideq began boarding buses home on Friday, with the operation continuing on Saturday, according to AFP journalists at the scene.
A Moroccan source close to the operation told AFP on condition of anonymity that the people sent back by Spain are to be transported home directly by bus or via the railway station in Tangier, 70 kilometres (45 miles) away.
According to the source, the Fnideq border crossing is now “completely secure”, as are the hills overlooking it, from which hundreds of people, mostly young men, had thrown stones at security forces on Friday.
The Spanish government announced on Friday evening that at least 48,000 of the 60,000 people who entered Ceuta in recent days had returned to Morocco.
Late Friday, AFP journalists saw around twenty 54-person-capacity buses depart, for a total of about a thousand people.

Fnideq is a small town of just 70,000 inhabitants, roughly equivalent to the population of the enclave of Ceuta, one of Spain’s two North African enclaves.
The buses were headed for Tangier, Tetouan, or the economic capital Casablanca, all equipped with rail facilities to redirect people who had come from as far away as Marrakech, more than 500 kilometres to the south.
“I heard that buses had arrived to take us back home. Honestly, I just want to see my children again. I regret having come all the way here,” said Rachid Aouchari, 32, from Ksar el Kebir, 170 kilometres from Fnideq, who was turned back from Ceuta during the night from Thursday to Friday.
Until midday Friday, clashes had pitted the security forces against migrants seeking to cross into Spain, either by swimming or on foot along a narrow wall leading to the Ceuta crossing point.
Police responded with water cannons and tear gas against hundreds of young men, arresting dozens of them, according to an AFP journalist.
AFP
International
US Military F-35B fighter jet crashes, burns
A fighter jet crashed and erupted into flames at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in California on Friday, sending smoke billowing into the sky that could be seen from miles away.
The single-seat F-35B Lightning II aircraft from Marine Aircraft Group 11, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, went down short of the runway just before 10 a.m. PT.
“The pilot ejected (and) was transported to a local medical facility in stable condition for evaluation and treatment of non-life-threatening injuries,” according to a statement from the wing.
Airport fire crews sprayed the wreckage with firefighting foam and worked to extinguish a grass fire surrounding the crash site.
“F-35 short final crash,” the Miramar air traffic control tower told firefighters in audio recorded by LiveATC.net. “It appeared that the parachute did deploy … and a pilot ejected.”

The cause of the crash was not immediately clear. Military plane crashes are typically investigated by the military as opposed to civilian crashes which are investigated by the National Transportation Safety Board.
Billed as “the most advanced jet fighter in the world” by its manufacturer, the F-35B is a stealth aircraft that can land like a conventional plane, or vertically, similar to a helicopter. The more than 50-foot-long jet is operated by the US Marines, the United Kingdom and the Italian Air Force. The planes cost about $102 million each, according to the manufacturer.
About 15,000 service members from all branches of the military are based at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, located in San Diego. (CNN)
-
International3 days agoCanada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
-
News3 days agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
Uncategorized3 days ago2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin
-
News3 days agoLagos shuts churches over noise pollution
-
News3 days agoTwo shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
-
News3 days agoEven if Tinubu appoints Seyi as INEC chairman, he’ll be defeated in 2027 — Dalung
-
News2 days agoAlleged Drug Trafficking: Tinubu seeks 10-day delay in release of records
-
Uncategorized3 days agoTinubu appoints Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan as Head of Civil Service of the Federation




