Connect with us

News

Xenophobia: Nigerian lawmakers reject calls to use proceeds from MTN, DStv to compensate victims

Published

on

Spread the love

The Senate on Tuesday rejected calls by some of its members to nationalise South African companies operating in Nigeria and use the proceeds from the firms to compensate Nigerians who suffered losses during xenophobic attacks in that country.

The upper chamber reached the decision after a majority of senators rejected the proposal through a voice vote during plenary while debating a motion on the continued attacks and killings of Nigerians in South Africa.

The motion was sponsored by Cross River South Senator, Asuquo Ekpenyong.

Among the South African companies operating in Nigetia are MTN, a telecom giant and DStv, a pay television service owned by MultiChoice Group.

During the debate, Lagos Central Senator, Wasiu Eshinlokun, urged the Senate to consider nationalising the companies.

Maduka College Advert

Mr Eshinlokun, a member of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), lamented the continued killings of Nigerians and the destruction of their properties in South Africa.

Edo North Senator, Adams Oshiomhole, supported the proposal, arguing that rather than merely expressing grief over the attacks, lawmakers should adopt measures that would affect South Africa’s economy.

Mr Oshiomhole, a former governor of Edo State, recalled that the Senate had earlier resolved to send a delegation to South Africa to engage with its government over the killings but said nothing had been done since the resolution was adopted.

Bauchi Central Senator, Abdul Ningi also backed the proposal, saying Nigeria should adopt stronger diplomatic measures instead of continued engagement.

However, the Deputy Senate President, Barau Jibrin, who presided over the session, rejected the proposal, arguing that the circumstances surrounding the attacks should first be properly investigated before Nigeria takes any action.

Mr Jibrin, an APC senator, who represents Kano North Senatorial District, acknowledged that many Nigerians had lost their lives and properties but maintained that Nigeria must act cautiously.

“Killing people in the name of protest is not something that should be accepted. It is unacceptable, we cannot allow that but then we need to be careful, particularly because we live in Africa, we set the pace. Whatever we want to do, we need to be very careful,” he said.

The deputy senate president also addressed reports that the South African government had refused to compensate victims, saying decisions should not be based on social media posts.

“What Senator Adams Oshiomhole said, sometimes, we don’t take things that are said on social media to analyse the situation. I saw what he is talking about. What the minister was saying was that those who live in illegal settlements will not be paid anything because they illegally occupied those areas. But those who have titles, nobody will take those titles away from them, nobody will take their properties from them even if they have been displaced.

“The government (of SA) should be bold enough to say we have been threatened by some certain people who are conspiring to destabilise our nation. The president (of SA) should come out to tell the world. Maybe after the committee has done its work, maybe we will find it necessary to advise the South African government,” he said.

Mr Jibrin subsequently urged the three senators to withdraw their proposals and instead allow the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs to investigate the attacks and report back in two weeks.

This is not the first time lawmakers have debated attacks on Nigerians in South Africa. There have also been previous calls to revoke the operating licences of MTN Group, DStv and other South African companies doing business in Nigeria.

On 5 May, the Senate resolved to send a delegation to South Africa as part of diplomatic efforts to find a lasting solution to the attacks.

It agreed at the time that the delegation would comprise members of both chambers of the National Assembly and would be led by the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio.

The delegation was expected to engage with the South African government and the leadership of its parliament to seek an end to the attacks on Nigerians. However, it is not clear whether the lawmakers delegation visited South Africa because there are no public records of such visitation.

In recent weeks, violent protests have erupted in parts of South Africa, targeting African migrants, including Nigerians. Videos circulating on social media show mobs attacking foreigners, with several Nigerians reportedly killed.

There are also allegations that security officials failed to intervene in some of the attacks. Two Nigerians were reportedly killed in April by personnel of the South African National Defence Force in Port Elizabeth.

One victim, Ekpenyong Andrew, was arrested and later found dead in Pretoria, while another, Amaramiro Emmanuel, died from injuries allegedly sustained during an attack by security personnel.

The government however has repatriated several Nigerians from South Africa due to the violence.

The motion

Presenting the motion, Mr Ekpenyong condemned the attacks and urged the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to obtain written assurances from the South African government on the safety and protection of Nigerians living in the country.

He also called for the arrest and prosecution of those responsible for violence, intimidation, looting and unlawful immigration enforcement.

The senator further urged the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission and the Nigerian High Commission in South Africa to strengthen emergency consular support and establish a verified register of Nigerians who have suffered death, injury, displacement, unlawful detention, or loss of businesses and property to facilitate legal redress, restitution and compensation.

He also called on the federal government to work with other affected African countries and relevant organs of the African Union to establish an effective early warning and accountability mechanism to prevent xenophobic violence and protect African migrants.

News

Sheikh Jingir: Christianity not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria — Pastor Enenche

Published

on

Pastor Dr. Paul Enenche
Spread the love

• Says security agencies must act against provocative religious remarks

Senior Pastor of Dunamis International Gospel Centre, Pastor Paul Enenche, has declared that Christianity is not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria, while condemning comments linked to Islamic cleric Sheikh Yahya Jingir.

Speaking during the church’s Sunday service at its headquarters in Abuja, Enenche reacted strongly to the controversy generated by Jingir’s recent remarks, insisting that Christians could not be regarded as inferior to adherents of any other faith in the country.

The cleric described the suggestion that Christianity was secondary to another religion as unacceptable, arguing that Christians are present in large numbers across every part of Nigeria.

Enenche also warned against taking the Christian community for granted, maintaining that the church remains a significant force in the nation.

He criticised security agencies for failing to invite Islamic cleric, Sheikh Muhammad Jingir, over his recent comments advocating a Muslim-Muslim political arrangement in Nigeria.

Maduka College Advert

According to Enenche, security agencies should have acted against statements capable of provoking religious tension and violence in the country.

The pastor described as unacceptable the suggestion that Christianity should be regarded as subordinate to any other religion in Nigeria, insisting that Christians constitute a significant part of the country’s population.

He said, “Christianity is not secondary, and no group of religious fanatics will ever make it secondary. Not you, not any political group of people will ever make Christianity secondary to any.”

Enenche also questioned why security agencies had not invited the cleric for questioning over his comments, arguing that allowing individuals to make what he described as reckless statements without consequence could threaten national peace.

He said, “I blame security forces for allowing people to make reckless statements. You allow them still moving on the road, allow them still moving, not knowing that such a statement can incite instant violence.”

The pastor added that authorities should have taken steps to establish whether the comments could incite violence, rather than allowing the speaker to continue making such statements publicly.

“People are messing up and destroying the nation; they are walking free of charge, and they are talking,” he said.

Enenche further warned against taking the Christian community for granted, saying Christians had remained calm despite what he described as provocative statements.

“Nobody should take the church in this nation for granted. Don’t take the church for granted,” he said.

His comments followed controversy generated by the Chairman of the Ulama Council of Jama’atu Izalatil Bid’ah Wa’ikamatis Sunnah, Sheikh Muhammad Jingir, who recently advocated the continued adoption of a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket.

Jingir had, at a special wedding reception organised by the Kano State Government for 1,500 couples whose weddings it sponsored, urged Muslims to vote in a manner that would demonstrate their numerical strength.

Amid reactions to his comments, Jingir told the BBC that he had no regret over his advocacy for a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket, stressing that he had held the position long before the administration of President Bola Tinubu.

The comments have attracted reactions from various quarters, including the National Coordinator of the Obidient Movement Worldwide, Yunusa Tanko, and Nigeria’s Ambassador-designate to South Africa, Femi Fani-Kayode.

Continue Reading

News

Wanted banditry kingpin, Ado Aleru, attends fresh ‘peace talks’ with Katsina community residents

Published

on

Spread the love

Notorious wanted bandit kingpin, Ado Aleru, has once again surfaced publicly, attending fresh peace talks with residents of Kankara Local Government Area in Katsina State.

The meeting marks another round of dialogue between communities terrorised by banditry and the armed groups that have plagued Nigeria’s North-West region for years.

Aleru is a wanted criminal on Nigerian security forces’ list, with a ₦5 million bounty on his head. Despite this, he has repeatedly appeared at peace meetings across Katsina State.

During the latest meeting, Aleru reportedly explained why previous peace efforts failed to bring lasting peace. His appearance has raised serious questions about whether these agreements can actually work.

The peace talks come just days after Aleru suffered a major blow in a military encounter at Doma village, Katsina State. Reports indicate:· His son was killed along with eight other family members· About 30 motorcycles belonging to his network were destroyed· The losses have significantly weakened his criminal network’s strength and mobility.

Maduka College Advert

This is not Aleru’s first peace meeting. He previously attended talks in:· June 2025 – Danmusa LGA, Katsina State·

September 2025 – Faskari LGA, where he vowed to embrace peace·

October 2025 – Kakumi village, where a peace accord was signed

In September 2025, Aleru said he had previously withdrawn from peace efforts after his son was arrested, calling the arrest “unjust”.

Aleru’s participation in peace talks despite being wanted has sparked heated debate:Supporters of dialogue argue that negotiations can reduce attacks and help communities return to normal life.

Critics warn that agreements with armed groups often collapse, pointing to continued attacks linked to Aleru’s network even after previous peace deals.

Adding to the controversy, Aleru was previously given a traditional title in Zamfara State during the administration of former Governor Bello Matawalle, who is now Nigeria’s Minister of State for Defence.

Katsina State is one of several North-Western states hit hard by banditry, with killings, kidnappings, and displacement affecting countless communities. The fresh peace talks in Kankara show that some communities are still willing to negotiate – even with wanted kingpins like Ado Aleru.

Continue Reading

News

‘Tinubu has called me, congratulated me,’ Adeleke says after Osun Re-election Victory

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu gives Osun state governor Governor Adeleke a Handshake. Photo Credit: X @AAdeleke_01
Spread the love

•  Adeleke of the Accord Party, polled 511,067 votes to defeat APC’s Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has revealed that President Bola Tinubu called and congratulated him shortly after he was declared winner of the August 15 governorship election.

Adeleke made the disclosure while speaking to journalists on Sunday after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared him winner of the election.

He thanked President Tinubu for congratulating him, saying the president had contributed to the sustenance of democracy.

“I feel great. First of all, I thank the God Almighty for what has happened today. It’s a victory for democracy in Nigeria,” And, of course, I want to seize the opportunity to thank Mr President. Mr President has called me, and he has congratulated me, and I thank you, Mr President, for making sure democracy lives on because you fought for it, Mr President,” the governor said.

President Tinubu and Governor Adeleke have maintained a pragmatic relationship despite belonging to rival political parties. Despite their political differences, both leaders have maintained a cordial relationship, with Adeleke making high-profile visits to Tinubu and the President engaging with the Osun governor.

Maduka College Advert

Victory for Osun people, Olive Branch

Speaking further, Adeleke said the result represented a victory for the people of Osun, who, according to him, had endorsed his administration’s performance in office.

“A victory for democracy. A victory for Osun people that stood by me and said, Imole, you have done a lot for us. You have given us the dividends of democracy in terms of infrastructure, improving our education, agriculture and so forth. So this is the Osun people saying, ‘Thank you, Mr Governor,’” he said.

The governor, who secured a second term after defeating his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC), said his administration would focus on transforming Osun from a civil service-dependent state into an industrial hub.

“I will repay that thank you by making sure that I have a vision. My vision is to make sure that Osun State moves from a civil servant state to an industrial state. I will make sure, all across Osun State, development is on. I love you all, Osun State,” Adeleke said.

Adeleke also extended an olive branch to his opponents, describing the election as a contest without a victor or vanquished.

“Yes, this is no victor, no vanquished. I want them to come over. I’m expecting Oyebanji, even as a civilised person, to call me and congratulate me,” he said.

Asked whether he had ever feared that the election could go against him, Adeleke replied: “No. I have a God. I have a God who never fails.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert