
News
‘Obi, Kwankwaso will join NDC next week’ — Kwankwasiya movement reveals
Rabiu Kwankwaso, former governor of Kano, will defect from the African Democratic Congress (ADC) to the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) next week, the Kwankwasiyya movement has revealed.
Habibu Mohammed, spokesperson of the Kwankwasiyya movement, told TheCable on Friday night that the decision was sealed after a unanimous endorsement by stakeholders.
Mohammed said discussions with the NDC have reached “about 90 percent”, with only minor issues left to tidy up, adding that the former governor and Peter Obi, 2023 presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), will move to the NDC on Monday or Tuesday.
“I believe him, Peter Obi, and some others will be joining the NDC,” Mohammed said.
Mohammed said stakeholders’ representatives from all 44 LGAs in Kano gathered at Kwankwaso’s residence on Friday around 3:30pm to weigh the options — and, in the end, spoke with one voice.
“The stakeholders have unanimously given him the go-ahead to move to the NDC,” he said.

Kwankwaso, he added, is currently in Kano and is expected back in Abuja by Sunday ahead of the planned defection.
At the heart of the decision is the lingering ADC leadership imbroglio.
On Thursday, the supreme court set aside the controversial status quo ante bellum order in the ADC leadership dispute and returned the matter to the federal high court for determination — effectively resetting the contest without resolving it.
Mohammed said the apex court’s ruling only reinforced concerns about uncertainty within the party.
“If you look at the case referred back to the lower court, it might take time. There could even be another appeal to the supreme court. It does not look feasible to stay there,” Mohammed said.
“The entire caucus voted unanimously that a better platform, not embedded in a leadership tussle, should be used.”
He said while both the NDC and the Peoples Redemption Party (PRP) were considered, stakeholders ultimately threw their weight behind the NDC.
Mohammed said there are three pending cases against the ADC at the federal high court, describing the legal landscape as too murky for comfort.
He also pointed to the ticking clock ahead of the deadline for submission of party membership registers to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) as another factor that forced the movement’s hand.
“Staying in ADC at this stage would amount to waiting for Godot,” he said.
Mohammed said the movement also weighed internal dynamics within ADC, including the reluctance among key actors to embrace a consensus candidate.
Since the All Opposition Political Party Leaders summit in Ibadan, Oyo state, late last month, Obi has not attended any subsequent ADC meetings.
TheCable reported that the former Anambra governor was displeased that zoning was not debated at the gathering.
Obi, who has consistently demanded zoning of the presidential ticket since he joined the ADC last year, argues that failure to address equity and power rotation weakens the coalition and fuels distrust among stakeholders.
In April, supporters of Obi and Kwankwaso launched the “OK Movement” to mobilise support for a joint ticket of both politicians in the upcoming elections.
Leaders of the movement said that Obi and Kwankwaso sanctioned the idea.

News
2027: Gov Mbah Showcases Achievements, Promises More as He’s Officially Declared Enugu APC Guber Candidate
…Says ‘Tomorrow is Here’ mantra no longer abstract expression
…Panel: Enugu APC model for internal democracy
Governor Peter Mbah has saluted the All Progressives Congress’ (APC) faithful for his resounding election as the party’s gubernatorial candidate in the 2027 general election, highlighting progress made under his stewardship and promising more to the state.
He stated this in his acceptance speech at the International Conference Centre, Enugu, on Friday, as the Hon. Danmalikin Hausa-led Enugu State APC Governorship Primary Election Committee concluded the collation of results of the exercise that saw 397,370 accredited party faithful participating across the state’s 260 wards on Thursday and formally declared him winner.
“This moment is not one I take for granted. For me, there was never a sense of entitlement. I accept this nomination with full awareness of the expectations that come with it, buoyed by the knowledge that it’s not an unfamiliar path for me,” he stated.

Mbah expressed happiness that his administration totally disproved the notion that campaign promises could never be kept, saying the “Tomorrow Is Here,” which underscores his governance philosophy had moved from the abstract to a reality.
“What once felt distant – that tomorrow could be different – is no longer abstract. It is taking shape.

“It is visible in the routines of daily life, in how people travel, how they work, and how they now access services that were once unreliable or out of reach.
“We have smashed the notion that promises matter more than performance. Every naira spent has been made to give the people of Enugu a return on their investment of trust and faith,” he said.
Continuing, the governor reeled out his administration’s achievements across various sectors.
“Today, events are scheduled on Mondays without the least apprehension. Through our Command and Control Centre and other modern security infrastructure, we have effectively restored citizens’ faith in the state’s capacity to protect them.
“Through our ward-based Smart Green Schools, learning has become fit-for-purpose, offering our children education that guarantees them a place in a fast-changing world.
“With at least one Type-2 Primary Healthcare Centre in each of our 260 Wards, we have ensured that location is no longer a hindrance to quality healthcare.
“Across our rural communities, crop yield is rising as the rev of tractors increasingly replaces backbreaking tasks like ridging and tilling once done with hoes and cutlasses.
“Across our towns and cities, opportunities are emerging as decades-long moribund industries roar back to life.
“Until a few months ago, the Songhai Heneke Farm in Ezeagu was a desolate project. The story is different today.
“The United Palm Products Limited has risen from its moribund past to become a viable venture – offering job opportunities to the youth.
“The Enugu Haier Factory, a $20 million investment facility that manufactures digital appliances and electronics, also comes to mind.
“Jobs in the aviation sector that once felt out of reach no longer feels so for our youths with the launch of Enugu Air.
“Our sons and daughters will soon be able to fly to major cities of the world from here.
“We have done over 1,500 kilometres of roads, launched five world-class Transport Terminals and CNG buses to ensure that our people commute in dignity and comfort.”
“Beyond the state, Enugu is becoming the standard bearer for sustainable governance, innovative development, and quality of life,” he asserted.
The governor equally acknowledged that President Bola Tinubu’s bold policies contributed immensely to the successes by making more resources available to states to invest in development.
Meanwhile, primary election panel Chairman, Hon. Hausa, has commended Mbah and party leaders for the peaceful and credible primary elections in the state.
“Enugu State APC is a well-coordinated chapter where internal democracy, consensus-building, discipline, synergy and peace reign supreme. The whole exercise has been rancour-free and indeed a carnival of sorts,” he added.
He equally commended President Tinubu and the Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda-led national executive of the party “for providing the exemplary leadership that midwifed the peaceful and credible primaries at the subnational level.

News
Presidency denies plan to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law
• Says viral report aimed at causing political tension ahead of polls
• APC will collapse without power, says ADC, plans One Million-Man March
The Presidency has dismissed as false and misleading a viral report alleging that President Bola Tinubu plans to initiate constitutional amendments to rename Nigeria as the ‘United States of Nigeria’ and abolish Sharia law in the North.
But the opposition African Democratic Congress (ADC) has declared that the only factor holding the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) is political power.
The National Publicity Secretary of the ADC, Bolaji Abdullahi, stated this yesterday at the launch of the Rise Up Naija Movement (RUN) at the party’s National Secretariat in Abuja.
The Presidency stated, yesterday, that the report, which cited unnamed sources, was entirely fabricated and designed to create disaffection, provoke political unrest and destabilise the country ahead of the general elections.
It urged Nigerians to disregard the publication in its entirety, describing those behind it as “agents of destabilisation and merchants of disorder.”
According to the statement, President Tinubu has no intention of sponsoring any proposed legislation code-named “Project True Federation” or transmitting such a bill to the National Assembly before the elections.

“The Presidency wishes to state clearly that there is no truth whatsoever in the viral fake story claiming that President Tinubu seeks constitutional amendments to change Nigeria’s name to the United States of Nigeria and abolish Sharia law in the northern region, among other claims,” the statement reads.
It further stressed that the procedures for constitutional amendment are clearly defined under Nigerian law and cannot be carried out arbitrarily.
“Constitutional amendments are serious matters requiring extensive legislative scrutiny, broad consultation and national debate. The process is not at the whim of either the President or the National Assembly. It requires a two-thirds majority in both chambers of the National Assembly, as well as the concurrence of at least 24 Houses of Assembly,” it added.
The Presidency said Tinubu remains focused on implementing ongoing economic reforms and delivering tangible benefits to Nigerians rather than engaging in divisive political distractions.
The statement also cautioned citizens against spreading or consuming fake and inflammatory reports, warning that misinformation is likely to increase as political activities intensify ahead of the general elections.
Abdullahi said, at present, only ADC represents the future of politics in Nigeria, as it is built on the philosophy of egalitarianism, where conversations are tolerated.
He added that ADC sees the unveiling of the movement as a responsibility to provide a space for younger people and prepare them for leadership.
The ADC spokesperson expressed confidence that the movement would be useful when the party forms the government, especially to check potential distractions from the real issues after gaining power.
Abdullahi said: “With what has happened to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), which is tragic in the context, I have no doubt in my mind that the only thing holding the APC together today is power. When you take political power, government power out of the APC, you don’t have a political party.
“This party, ADC, represents the future of politics in Nigeria. It’s the only party built on the philosophy of egalitarianism. It’s the only party you can belong to, and nobody will tell you what to do and what not to do. It’s the only party where we have conversations; we don’t direct people on what to do.”

News
Defence Headquarters releases full details of terrorist group behind Oyo school attack
The Defence Headquarters has said the recent kidnap incident in Oyo State was carried out by terrorists displaced from other parts of the country following intensified military operations.
The military authority disclosed this on Thursday while reacting to what it described as “mischievous and misleading publications” surrounding comments credited to the Defence Headquarters on the classification of terrorists and criminal elements operating in the South-West.
In a statement signed by the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj Gen Michael Onoja, the DHQ said the attackers behind the Oyo abduction were members of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad terrorist group displaced by sustained military offensives across the country.
“The recent incidence of kidnap in Oyo State was clearly perpetrated by terrorists of the JAS Group that have been dislodged from other parts of the country due to high-intensity operations being conducted all over,” the statement read.
The statement also stressed that the Armed Forces of Nigeria remained committed to supporting constitutional governance and protecting democratic institutions.
“At no time did the Defence Headquarters undermine the authority of any democratically elected leader or seek to diminish the gravity of the heinous crime committed against innocent citizens by terrorist elements,” the statement added.

The DHQ further disclosed that troops remained actively deployed across affected areas in collaboration with other security agencies and local stakeholders to dismantle terrorist and criminal networks threatening national peace and stability.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria remain resolute in dismantling all criminal and terrorist networks threatening the peace, stability and unity of the nation,” the statement said.
The clarification followed recent attacks on communities in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, where armed terrorists abducted pupils, teachers and other residents from Community High School, Ahoro-Esinle.
The incident also left several persons dead, while one of the abducted teachers, Michael Oyedokun, was later killed after a video linked to the attack surfaced online.

-
News2 days agoBREAKING: Fubara withdraws from APC governorship primaries
-
News2 days agoTerrorists have infiltrated no less than 40 South-West LGs — Gani Adams
-
News3 days agoAnambra denies introducing new burial law
-
News2 days agoEkweremadu’s Mother-in-Law for Burial 28th May
-
News2 days agoAPC Enugu announces Senatorial primary results, Presents Certificates of Return to winners
-
News21 hours agoCarnival as Enugu APC Turns Out En Masse to Affirm Mbah Guber Candidate
-
News2 days agoCoup trial: Accused colonel rejects military court
-
Health1 day agoNAFDAC urges Stakeholders to lead vigilance on Antimicrobial Resistance, Adverse Drug Reactions


