
News
Tinubu signs Electoral Act 2026 into Law
….Says ‘We need to avoid glitches, unnecessary hacking’
The bill has generated heated debates, with lawmakers and prominent Nigerians disagreeing over the method to adopt for the transmission of results, ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Tinubu (seated) urged Nigerians have confidence in their system.
President Bola Tinubu has signed the Electoral Act, 2022 (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2026 into law, following the passage of the bill by the National Assembly on Tuesday after months of deliberations.
Tinubu signed the bill at the State House on Wednesday in the presence of top government officials, including the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio; the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas; and the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila.
He said the essence of democracy is to have very solid discussions committed to national development and nation-building, essential for the stability of the nation.
According to him, it is high time Nigerians had confidence in their system.

“It’s not as important as the history aspects of this. What is crucial is the fact that you manage the process to the extent there will be no confusion, no disenfranchisement of Nigerians, and that we are all going to see democracy flourish.
“No matter how good the system is, it’s managed by the people, promoted by the people, and the result is finalised by the people,” The President said.
‘We Need To Avoid Interference’
On the ongoing debates over the transmission of election results,
Tinubu said, “In fact, for final results, you are not going to be talking to the computer; you are going to be talking to human beings who will announce the final results.
“And when you look at the crux of various arguments, maybe Nigerians should question our broadband capability. How technically are we today? How technically will we be tomorrow to answer the call of either real-time or not?
“And as long as you appear personally, as a manual voter in any polling booth, a ballot paper is given to you manually, you decide in a corner and thumbprint the passing of your choice, you cast your votes, without hindrance and any interference, ballots are subsequently counted manually, sorted, and counted manually.”
“It’s just the arithmetic accuracy that is to enter into Form EC8A. It’s the manual, essentially. The transmission of that manual result is what we’re looking at.
“And we need to avoid glitches — I’m glad you did — interference, unnecessary hacking in this age of computer inquisitiveness.
“Nigeria will be there. We will flourish. We will continue to nurture this democracy for the fulfillment of our dream for the prosperity and stability of our country,” the President added.
The bill has generated heated debates in the last one week, with lawmakers and prominent Nigerians disagreeing over the method for the transmission of results, ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The Senate had on Tuesday passed the Electoral Act, 2022 (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2026 but not without a rowdy session as the upper chamber resumed proceedings with a demand for division over Clause 60 raised by Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe (ADC/Abia South).
The Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, had stated that he believed the demand had previously been withdrawn, but several opposition senators immediately objected to that claim.
Citing Order 52(6), the Deputy Senate President, Barau Jibrin, argued that it would be out of order to revisit any provision on which the Senate President had already ruled.
This submission sparked another uproar in the chamber, during which Senator Sunday Karimi had a brief face-off with Abaribe.
The Senate Leader, Opeyemi Bamidele, then reminded lawmakers that he had sponsored the motion for rescission, underscoring that decisions previously taken by the Senate are no longer valid.
He maintained that, consistent with his motion, Senator Abaribe’s demand was in line.
Akpabio further suggested that the call for division was merely an attempt by Senator Abaribe to publicly demonstrate his stance to Nigerians.
The senate president sustained the point of order, after which Abaribe rose in protest and was urged to formally move his motion.
Rising under Order 72(1), Abaribe called for a division on Clause 60(3), specifically concerning the provision that if electronic transmission of results fails, Form EC8A should not serve as the sole basis, calling for the removal of the proviso that allows for manual transmission of results in the event of network failure.
During the division, Akpabio directed senators who supported the caveat to stand.
He then asked those opposed to the caveat to rise.
Fifteen opposition senators stood in opposition.
However, when the votes were counted, the Senate President announced that 15 senators were not in support of the proviso, while 55 senators voted in support of it.
Clause-By-Clause Consideration
Earlier, proceedings in the Senate were momentarily stalled as lawmakers began clause-by-clause consideration of the Electoral Act, 2022 (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2026, following a motion to rescind the earlier amendment.
The motion to rescind the bill was formally seconded on Tuesday, paving the way for the upper chamber to dissolve into the committee of the whole for detailed reconsideration and reenactment of the proposed legislation.
During the session, the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, reeled out the clauses one after the other for deliberation.
However, the process stalled when at clause 60, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe (ADC/Abia South), raised a point of order, drawing immediate attention on the floor.
Following the intervention, murmurs spread across the chamber as lawmakers began speaking in small groups and approaching the Senate President’s desk for consultations.
The session immediately moved into a closed door session.
Opposition Reps Members Kick
The situation was not different at the House of Representatives as lawmakers disagreed over a motion seeking to rescind the passage of the Electoral Act Amendment Bill, which contained real-time electronic transmission of results.
The Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Rules and Business, Francis Waive, had moved a motion for the House to rescind its decision on the bill, which was passed on December 23, in line with the Senate’s position on real-time electronic transmission of election results.
When the Speaker of the House, Tajudeen Abbas, put the motion to a voice vote, the “nays” were louder than the “ayes,” but he ruled that the ayes had it.
The ruling triggered protests from lawmakers, who began shouting in objection, prompting the speaker to call for an executive session.
When the House of Representatives passed the Electoral Act in December 2025, it adopted the compulsory real-time transmission of election results to IReV.
News
SSS arrests El-Rufai after EFCC release
The State Security Service (SSS) on Wednesday night arrested former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai as soon as he was released by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
El-Rufai has been detained by the EFCC over corruption allegations since Monday.
He was granted bail at about 8 pm on Wednesday but was immediately picked up by operatives of the SSS who laid an ambush for him at the premises of the EFCC headquarters, witnesses said.
The politician’s arrest by the SSS is linked to allegations that he unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of Nigeria’s National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.
On Monday, the SSS charged him with cybercrimes before the Federal High Court in Abuja over the phone-tapping allegation.
Phone interception allegations

The case, filed as FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, followed Mr El-Rufai’s remarks during a live Arise TV interview on Friday.
He claimed that the NSA’s phone was tapped and that he heard the NSA directing security operatives to detain him.
He alleged that the directive prompted an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, on Thursday, where he exchanged heated words with security personnel. Witnesses said officials briefly confiscated his international passport before escorting him out amid chants from supporters.
In response to the interview, SSS prosecutors filed cybercrime charges against Mr El-Rufai on Monday.
The prosecution said he admitted to intercepting the NSA’s communications, failed to report others who conducted unlawful interceptions, and compromised public safety and national security by using technical systems to tap the NSA’s phone.
The alleged acts were said to violate provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024, and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003. No arraignment date has been fixed, and Mr El-Rufai has not publicly responded to the charges.
News
Gov. Mbah Preaches Love, Service, Peaceful Coexistence as Christians, Muslims Begin Lent, Ramadan Fast
As Christians and Muslims in Nigeria and across the world mark the beginning of Lent and Ramadan, Governor of Enugu State, Dr. Governor Peter Mbah, has enjoined Nigerians of both faiths to see the unique convergence as a divine call to embrace values that promote unity, love, service and peaceful co-existence.
Governor Mbah noted that such remarkable coincidence was a reminder that while paths of worship may differ, Nigerians remain united in values of faith, sacrifice, compassion, and devotion to God espoused by the two religions.
This was contained in his message to the people of the state and Nigerians earlier on Ash Wednesday and while also fielding questions from newsmen after a Holy Mass to usher in the Lenten season at the Government House Chapel, Enugu.
“Lent calls Christians to prayer, fasting, penitence, almsgiving, and renewed commitment to love and service. Ramadan invites Muslims into a month of fasting, reflection, charity, and spiritual discipline.
“Both seasons teach restraint, deepen empathy for the less privileged, and strengthen our resolve to live in righteousness and peace” Mbah stated.
He also described Ash Wednesday and Lent as a season of sober reflections and cutting down on excesses, as man must ultimately return to dust.

“Ash Wednesday is also a reminder that we are from dust, and to dust we must return. So, for me, I think it is also a time for us to reflect on our actions and be a better version of who we are as leaders, as workers, as team players.
In his homily, the Catholic Bishop of Enugu Diocese, Most Reverend Calistus Onaga, called on Christians to uphold prayer, fasting, and almsgiving, which he described as the three cardinal principles of Lenten season.
News
Hours after Valentine’s Day Dinner, Chartered Accountant slits wife’s throat
..,fakes robbery story
A 27-year-old bank employee was found with her throat slit after a “robbery incident” but investigation has now led to the arrest of her husband — a chartered accountant.
Investigators said the accused k!lled his wife over repeated suspicions about her character and then attempted to pass it off as a robbery-cum-murder.
The victim, Mahak, worked with HDFC Bank in Gurgaon, India.
She was married to Anshul Dhawan, a chartered accountant and resident of Hisar’s Sector 14, on September 25, 2025, in an arranged marriage.
The couple had been married for barely five months.
On Valentine’s Day, February 14, 2026, the couple visited Hisar and stayed with family.

The next evening, around 7 pm on February 15, they left Mahak’s parental home in Hansi for Gurugram. About four hours later, Anshul called the police, claiming unidentified attackers had intercepted their car near Pahsaur village in the Badli area of Jhajjar district, k!lled his wife, and fled.
Police found Mahak’s body lying outside the car on a dirt track about 100 metres off the Jhajjar-Badli road. Her throat had been slit.
However, Anshul’s version soon fell apart during questioning. He failed to describe the alleged attackers and repeatedly changed his statement.
During sustained interrogation and a crime scene reconstruction, Anshul confessed.
Police said the couple frequently argued over his suspicions about Mahak’s character. The dispute escalated during the drive, leading him to first str@ngle her and then sl!t her throat with a pair of scissors, allegedly while wearing gloves to avoid leaving evidence.
He later staged the scene to resemble a robbery.
Mahak’s father, Krishna Kathuria, had expressed suspicion against his son-in-law from the outset. Family members also stated that Mahak was pregnant at the time of her de@th.
Police have arrested the accused and are proceeding with further investigation.
-
News8 hours agoENUGU: Awhum tree-fall tragedy claims 11 lives, police issue safety advisory
-
News1 day agoRelease Nnamdi Kanu or return him to Kenya, S’East monarch tells Tinubu
-
News1 day agoSenate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill after row over e-transmission of election results
-
News1 day agoEl-Rufai spends night in EFCC custody over N432bn fraud allegation
-
News3 days agoMilitary denies reports of US planes dropping arms in Borno, Kaduna
-
News2 days agoUS sanctions eight Nigerians over links to Boko Haram, cybercrime
-
News1 day agoDangote Group remitted ₦900bn tax to FG in 2025, says Tinubu
-
Uncategorized1 day agoOutrage in Enugu as Family alleges plot to free suspected killers of their two sons


