
News
Benue Massacre: “How come no arrest has been made?”, Tinubu queries IGP, CDS, others over failure to arrest perpetrators
President Bola Tinubu on Wednesday warned security agencies to step up and make necessary arrests relating to the recent attack in the Yelwata community of Benue State that reportedly claimed over 200 lives.
He also announced plans to establish a peace committee aimed at ending the long-standing violence in the state.
Speaking at a stakeholders’ meeting held at the Government House Banquet Hall in Makurdi, the President said the committee would include traditional rulers such as the Tor Tiv, James Ayatse, and the Och’Idoma, as well as other key leaders.
He said, “I will want us to create this leadership committee now and then we meet in Abuja to really fashion out the nucleus for a lasting peace, and I’m ready to invest in that peace,” Tinubu said at the meeting.
“And I want the traditional rulers, Tor Tiv and Ochidoma to be included in this peace committee. I think by now you will be bored of hearing my voice, but I give you the assurance, we will find peace, we will convert this tragedy to prosperity.”

The President, who visited victims of the Yelwata attack at the Benue State University Teaching Hospital earlier in the day, expressed concern over the rising death toll and lack of arrests, warning security agencies to act swiftly.
“Police, I hope your men are on alert to listen to information. How come no arrest has been made? I expect there should be an arrest of those criminals.
“Christopher (the Chief of Defence Staff), you have given much. I watch your comments, you can’t be tired of staying in the bush. Oloyede and the Air Marshal, we thank all of you, but we need to keep our ears to the ground, let’s get those criminals, let’s get them out. DG NIA, DG SSS, retool your information channels, and let’s have tangible intelligence so that this will not occur again,” he said.
He also called for unity among Nigerians, urging citizens to focus on defeating common enemies rather than internal strife.
The meeting was attended by Governor Hyacinth Alia, several North-Central governors, National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu, Secretary to the Government of the Federation George Akume, service chiefs and other traditional and political leaders.
On Sunday, Tinubu asked Governor Hyacinth Alia of Benue State to convene a reconciliation meeting and dialogue with the warring factions as part of moves to end the bloodshed and bring peace to the state.
During his visit to the troubled state on Wednesday, Tinubu re-echoed the need for tolerance and dialogue among stakeholders in the North-Central state.
“As Nigerians, we are members of the same house, but sleeping in different rooms. Whether you are a Tiv, Idoma, or Yoruba, let’s turn this country into a nation of prosperity, and unity, and fight our enemies together; not fight each other,” the president told the gathering that including the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume; the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Abdullahi Ganduje; traditional leaders, governors and other dignitaries.
“We can turn this tragedy into economic prosperity. We can do it, and we will do it with you. Let’s have a very serious understanding of, tolerance level. The value of human lives is greater than that of a cow,” Tinubu told Governor Alia.
“Let’s create that synergy for peace, development, and prosperity. We are here to govern, not to bury [them]. We are here to raise families, not to lose some, and provide healthcare, water for them to drink, and food [for them] to eat,” he said amid applause from the crowd at the Government House in the Benue State capital.
Establishment of ‘Leadership Committee’
President Tinubu, at the meeting, also canvassed for the establishment of a committee comprising past governors of the state, traditional rulers, and other important stakeholders to help in finding lasting solutions to the lingering issues affecting Benue State.
“Whatever we need to do, I will want us to create this leadership committee now, and then we will meet in Abuja to really fashion out the nucleus of a lasting peace, and I am ready to invest in that peace,” the president said.
Tinubu said Benue State deserves to live in peace and is asking Nigerians to donate blood to the injured victims of the recent surge of killings.
He said, “Governor, please announce in the broadcast for people to donate more blood voluntarily to the hospitals”.
During his visit to Benue State, the former Lagos State governor went to the hospital to see those nursing injuries from the attacks.
Alia seeks State Police, Intervention Fund
Meanwhile, Governor Alia believes the establishment of state police and an intervention fund for the affected communities are critical steps to restoring peace in Benue.
According to Alia, though community policing comes with challenges, it is essential to ending the lingering crisis rocking the food-producing state.
‘Genocidal Invasion’
For the Tor Tiv V and Chairman of the Benue State Traditional Council, James Ayatse, the killings in the state are calculated and genocidal.
“We have grave concern about the misinformation and misrepresentation of the security crisis in Benue,” the traditional ruler said.
“Your Excellency, it is not herders-farmers clashes, it is not communal clashes, it is not reprisal attacks or skirmishes. It is this misinformation that has led to suggestions such as ‘remain tolerant’, ‘negotiate for peace’, or ‘learn to live with your neighbours.’
“What we are dealing with here in Benue is a calculated, well-planned, full-scale genocidal invasion and land-grabbing campaign by herder-terrorists and bandits, which has been on for decades and is worsening every year.
“Wrong diagnosis will always lead to wrong treatment. So we are dealing with something far more sinister than we often admit.”
News
Two shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
Two persons sustained gunshot injuries on Wednesday during an attempted arrest by police officers at the River Niger Head Bridge, Onitsha, Anambra State, causing panic and disrupting vehicular and pedestrian movement in the area.
The incident, which occurred around noon, caused gridlock along the busy Onitsha-Awka Expressway, as a confrontation reportedly broke out between the security operatives and some hoodlums.
Eyewitnesses near the scene said the victims were shot during the confrontation and later became unconscious before they were rushed to a nearby hospital.
One of the sources said, “The incident occurred this afternoon. It arose from a confrontation between the police officers and the victims. They were being stopped by the officers for questioning. In an attempt to arrest them, they resisted the arrest and the police fired some shots at them.
“The incident resulted in heavy skirmishes around the Bridgehead Market as people scampered to safety. The area remained in chaos until the arrival of another batch of police team. The victims were later rushed to a nearby hospital.”

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson for the Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, said the incident occurred when the suspects allegedly resisted arrest, resulting in gunshot injuries.
Ikenga said the Commissioner of Police, Nnanna Oji Ama, had visited the scene and addressed the crowd, adding that an investigation had commenced to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident.
According to him, the CP subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses were covered.
He said, “The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji, while addressing the crowd in Onitsha over the incident arising from a confrontation during an attempted arrest, stated that the immediate priority of the Command is to ensure that the victims recover fully.
“The incident occurred when suspects allegedly resisted arrest, resulting in gunshot injuries. The Commissioner of Police subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the Command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses are covered.
“The CP further ordered a thorough and impartial investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident, particularly the events leading to the discharge of the firearm.
“He stressed that the investigation will establish the facts and ensure that appropriate action is taken based on its findings.
“The Commissioner of Police appealed for calm and urged members of the public to remain peaceful and allow the investigation to run its course.”
Ikenga reiterated the command’s commitment to professionalism, accountability, respect for human life and the rule of law.
“Meanwhile, traffic and human movement around the Head Bridge area have been de-escalated, with free flow of vehicular and human movement now restored,” he added.
News
Lagos shuts churches over noise pollution
Three churches in Lagos State have been shut down by the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) over noise pollution as part of an enforcement exercise targeting 11 establishments in Agege and Mushin.
The affected churches are Holy Temple of Christ on Ayetoro Street, behind NIPCO Filling Station, Mushin; Christ Covenant Gospel Church, Western District, along Ikorodu Road, Fadeyi, Mushin; and Christ Apostolic Church, Oye Iyanu, located at Mushin Road, Church Bus Stop, Itire.
LASEPA carried out the enforcement operation on Tuesday after the affected establishments had received warnings and notices over environmental violations.
The agency said the establishments were given opportunities to correct the problems but failed to meet the required standards.
The shutdown of the three churches was linked to noise pollution, with the agency maintaining that religious activities and other operations must comply with environmental regulations to protect residents and maintain peace within communities.

LASEPA also sealed Akorohunfayo Central Mosque on Akorohunfayo Street, Fadeyi, Mushin, over noise pollution.
Other establishments affected included Biolarique Bakery Academy on Mushin Road, Mushin, which was sealed for failing to comply with the agency’s directives.
Tiles & Marbles on Silver Street, Olorunsogo, Mushin, was also shut over air pollution.
Five scrap yards operating in Agege and Mushin were equally sealed.
The facilities were accused of various environmental offences, including failure to provide evidence of an E-Waste Permit, environmental pollution and non-compliance with directives issued by LASEPA.
The affected scrap yards are Abubakar Scrap at Pipeline, Ifako-Ijaiye, Agege; Benjamin Scrap Yard on Ladoje Street, Oko Oba, Agege; Starlas and Sons Scrap Yard, also on Ladoje Street, Oko Oba, Agege; Jamin Scrap Yard at Jungle Bus Stop, Iju Road, Agege; and a Scrap Yard on Olu Aina Street, Daleko, Mushin.
LASEPA General Manager, Dr Babatunde Ajayi, said the agency would continue to monitor establishments across Lagos and enforce environmental regulations where operators fail to comply.
He urged religious organisations, business owners, facility operators, scrap dealers and other residents to obtain the necessary permits, follow environmental rules and take steps to prevent activities that could affect public health or the wellbeing of people living around their facilities.
The agency said further monitoring and enforcement exercises would continue across Lagos as part of efforts to maintain a cleaner and safer environment.
News
Gov Mbah appoints 23 Special Advisers, Senior Special Assistants
Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State has approved the appointment of 23 Special Advisers and Senior Special Assistants to support his administration in various areas of governance.
The appointments, contained in a Public Service Announcement signed by the Secretary to the Enugu State Government, Prof. Chidiebere Onyia, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, take effect immediately.
Nine of the appointees were appointed Special Advisers, while 14 were appointed Senior Special Assistants.
Among those appointed as Special Advisers are Hon. Chukwudi Ezinwa, Labour Union and Association Matters; Hon. Sunday Nnamani (Orlando), Special Duties; Mr. Williams Chukwu, Agriculture; Prince Afam Agana, Infrastructure Compliance; and Humphrey Onyima, Investment Strategy and Public Relations.
Others are Hon. Tony Ugwu, Rural Development; Chief Ernest Nweze, Party Coordination and Mobilisation; Hon. Emeka Onunze, Monitoring and Evaluation; and Mr. Robinson Odo (mni), Labour and Productivity.
Those appointed as Senior Special Assistants include Pastor Kenneth Asogwa (Ebube Muonso), Heritage and Community Relations; Pastor Tochukwu Ogbodo, Social Engagement; Barr. Lucky Chukwu, Public Affairs; Belonwu Nnaji, Cultural Orientation; and Hon. Steve Odo, Tourism.

Also appointed are Hon. Francis Ikewette Ede, Public Communication; Mr. Sunny Okafor, General Duties; Hon. Chinedu Okwu Otaka, Social Orientation and Mobilisation; Otaba Cosmas Ikechukwu, Protection of Public Utilities; Pius Okeagu, Assets Management; and Rt. Hon. Innocent Emeka Ugwu, Inter-Party Affairs.
The remaining appointees are Mrs. Eucharia Offor, Human Resource Management; Mr. Kenneth Oforma, Policy and Communication; and Kelvin Ede, Research and Strategy.
The state government said the appointments are effective immediately.
The new appointments are expected to strengthen the administration’s capacity across key sectors, including agriculture, infrastructure, investment, labour, rural development, public communication, tourism, human resources and community relations.
The full statement:
ENUGU STATE GOVERNMENT
OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY TO THE STATE GOVERNMENT
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
The Governor of Enugu State, His Excellency, Dr. Peter Ndubuisi Mbah, has approved the appointment of the following persons as Special Advisers (SPAs) and Senior Special Assistants (SSAs):
1. *Hon. Chukwudi Ezinwa* — Special Adviser on Labour Union and Association Matters
2. *Hon. Sunday Nnamani (Orlando)* — Special Adviser on Special Duties
3. *Mr. Williams Chukwu* — Special Adviser on Agriculture
4. *Prince Afam Agana* — Special Adviser on Infrastructure Compliance
5. *Humphrey Onyima* — Special Adviser on Investment Strategy and Public Relations
6. *Hon. Tony Ugwu* — Special Adviser on Rural Development
7. *Chief Ernest Nweze* — Special Adviser on Party Coordination and Mobilisation
8. *Hon. Emeka Onunze* — Special Adviser on Monitoring and Evaluation
9. *Mr. Robinson Odo (mni) — Special Adviser on Labour and Productivity*
10. *Pastor Kenneth Asogwa (Ebube Muonso)* — Senior Special Assistant on Heritage and Community Relations
11. *Pastor Tochukwu Ogbodo* — Senior Special Assistant on Social Engagement
12. *Barr. Lucky Chukwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Public Affairs
13. *Belonwu Nnaji* — Senior Special Assistant on Cultural Orientation
14. *Hon. Steve Odo* — Senior Special Assistant on Tourism
15. *Hon. Francis Ikewette Ede* — Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication
16. *Mr. Sunny Okafor* — Senior Special Assistant on General Duties
17. *Hon. Chinedu Okwu Otaka* — Senior Special Assistant on Social Orientation and Mobilisation
18. *Otaba Cosmas Ikechukwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Protection of Public Utilities
19. *Pius Okeagu* — Senior Special Assistant on Assets Management
20. *Rt. Hon. Innocent Emeka Ugwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Inter-Party Affairs
21. *Mrs. Eucharia Offor* — Senior Special Assistant on Human Resource Management
22. *Mr. Kenneth Oforma* — Senior Special Assistant on Policy and Communication
23. *Kelvin Ede — Senior Special Assistant on Research and Strategy*
The appointments take effect immediately.
Signed:
Prof. Chidiebere Onyia
Secretary to the Enugu State Government
Wednesday, 19th August, 2026
-
International10 hours agoCanada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
-
News3 days agoSheikh Jingir: Christianity not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria — Pastor Enenche
-
Uncategorized10 hours ago2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin
-
News6 hours agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
News3 days agoWanted banditry kingpin, Ado Aleru, attends fresh ‘peace talks’ with Katsina community residents
-
News17 hours agoWhy I won’t apologise to Okpebholo — Davido
-
News14 hours agoAccess Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys
-
Opinion1 day agoNational Ranching Policy: Whose Land, Whose Ranches, Whose Future?




