
News
Gov Mbah presents record N971bn 2025 Budget to Enugu House of Assembly
…Crashes Recurrent further to 14% at N133.1bn
…Capital Expenditure rises to N837.9bn
…Again, Education gets over 33% of budget
… Ramps up IGR from N37.4bn to N144.7bn in 2024
…Assembly promises early passage
Governor of Enugu State, Dr. Peter Mbah, has proposed a record N971bn budget bill for the 2025 fiscal year to the Enugu State House of Assembly.
Presenting the estimates entitled “Budget of Exponential Growth and Inclusive Prosperity” at the floor of the House on Tuesday, Mbah said the proposed estimates comprised N837.9bn Capital Expenditure, representing 86 per cent of the budget estimates, and a Recurrent Expenditure component of N133.1bn, representing only14 per cent of the budget.
This topples the record-holding 2024 budget of N521.5bn, consisting of N414.3bn Capital Expenditure, representing 79 per cent of the total budget and N107.2bn Recurrent Expenditure, representing about 21 per cent.

However, like the 2024 budget, the 2025 budget proposal emphasizes huge investment in education as well as basic but critical infrastructure and amenities like roads and bridges, water supply, transport services, energy, modernization and digitization of public services and associated processes, with the Education sector getting a lion-share of N320.6bn, representing over 33 per cent of the total budget for two consecutive years.
Mbah said that this was in line with his administration target of poverty eradication and an inclusive development model, which ensures that no one or segment of the society is left behind.

The governor equally announced a growth in the state’s Internally Generated Revenue, IGR, from N37.4bn at the end of 2023 to N144.7bn in September 2024, representing a radical 286.2 per cent increase in line with the administration’s deliberate effort to wean the state off reliance on FAAC allocations.
Addressing the House, Mbah said, “In crafting this budget, we have sort to continue to lay the right foundation in Enugu to enhance the economy and attract even more private investment.
“In spite of the dreary economic environment across the country, for us here in Enugu, we have elected to remain bullish in our aspirations, and to double down on our commitment to elevate our state to top three status in terms of GDP nationally, and eradicate poverty from our midst.
“Indeed, we see this as a vindication of our previously espoused view that sustainable national growth can really only be driven from the sub-national units to the federal levels, and not the other way round as we have attempted to do to date.
“It is on account of this that we are proposing to the House of Assembly today, a budget with a total envelope of N971,084,000,000.00 as against the budget for 2024 fiscal year which totaled N521,561,386,000.00.
“This represents an 86.4 per cent increase from the 2024 revised budget.
“The budget is broken down as follows: N133,140,000,000.00 as Recurrent Expenditure and N837,944,000,000.00 as Capital Expenditure,” he said.
On sources of revenue, he said, “In the area of our revenues, we estimated that total Recurrent revenues during 2025 will amount to N692,179,000,000 as against the approved revised provision for 2024 of N383,789,000,000.00.
“The Recurrent revenues for 2025 are broken down as follows: opening balance – N32,000,000,000; Internally Generated Revenue, IGR – N509,947,000,000; statutory revenue – N48,749,000,000; exchange rate differential – N26,559,000,000; and Value Added Tax, VAT – N74,924,000,000.
“With the total Recurrent Expenditure at N133,140,000,000.00, this translates to a Net Recurrent Revenue of N559,039,000,000.00, which is thus transferred to the Capital Development Fund.
“The total Capital Expenditure for the year 2025 is projected at N837,944,000,000.00 as against N414,334,120,000.00 for the 2024 Revised Budget. The Current Capital Expenditure estimate will be funded from the sum of N559,039,000,000.00 to be transferred from the Consolidated Revenue Fund, and the Capital receipts of N278,905,000,000.00 to be realized as follows: External and Internal Aids and Grants – N15,000,000,000; other receipts – N80,202,000,000; Domestic Loans/Borrowings receipts – N55,000,000,000; and International Loans/Borrowings – N128,503,000,000.”
Meanwhile, in terms of broad sectors, the Economic Sector got a lion share of N462bn, representing 55.1 per cent of the Capital Expenditure, followed by the Social Sector with N345.7bn, representing 41.2 per cent.
In terms of specific sectors, Education got 33.2 per cent, the largest chunk, in sync with Mbah’s effort to eradicate poverty and graduate the state to a knowledge-based economy.
“As we must all know by now, Education is both our ‘sword’ and ‘shield’ in this battle to achieve economic growth in our state and banish poverty and want among our population. Consequently, we are maintaining the ambitious direction we charted in 2024 by voting a total of N320,609,059,000,00 for that sector. This represents 78% of the social sector of the budget and 33.2% of our Capital Expenditure this year,” he stated.
The governor explained that the 2025 budget would also focus greatly on health, road infrastructure, transport, agriculture, and water sectors, among others.
“There can be no economic growth without quality healthcare. This is why we are spending N45,830,896,000.00 on the sector this year.
“In the area of Works and Infrastructure, we will continue our relentless advance towards our target to build or refurbish all key roads across the state by 2031. In line with this, we will spend a total of N213,120,267,000.00 in 2025.
“Food inflation is a major component of core inflation in Nigeria. Consequently, food production is critical to moderation of the currently high levels of inflation in the Country. As a result, we will be spending up to N82,300,761,000.00 in the agricultural and agro-industrialisation sector this year.
In the area of Transport, we will be spending a total of N41,132,463,000.00 to expand Enugu Air with the acquisition of 4 additional aircraft. In addition, we will be consummating the concessioning of the Akanu Ibiam international airport as well as the construction of an international cargo terminal. We will also be floating a new taxi scheme in collaboration with the private sector to modernize urban and inter-urban transportation for Ndi Enugu.
2024 Budget Performance
Giving a breakdown of the state’s IGR and overall performance of the 2024 budget, the governor noted a remarkable increase in the state’s IGR since the inception of this administration, explaining that while the state’s IGR stood at N26.8bn in 2022, the administration it by 39 per cent to N37.4bn at the end of 2023.
However, as at September 2024, the state’s IGR had drastically increased to ₦144.7bn, representing a 286.2 per cent increase, expressing confidence that ti would surpass 200billion by the end of the year.
“In terms of budgetary performance, the total revenue realised in the state as at October 2024 came to N459,851,309,396.47, which comes to a budget performance of 88%. Of this amount, N178,354,494,502.47 related to Statutory Receipts, while N136,700,000,000.00 related to Capital Receipts and N144,796,814,894.00 to Internally Generated Revenue.
“As at October, these inflows had been applied to Expenditure with N382,427,929,564.00 as Capital Expenditure and N76,546,090,116.18 as Recurrent Expenditure. These translated to a budget performance of 88%. Additional revenues and Expenditure are still expected before the end of the year, with IGR envisaged to surpass the N200 billion mark.
“While we may make bold to say that our progress in this past year is commendable given the odds that were arraigned against the state economy, we are not yet ready to rest on our oars,” Mbah said.
Meanwhile, the Speaker of the State Assembly, Hon. Uchenna Ugwu, has promised early passage of the budget by the House to sustain the governor’s development strides.
“He exhibited his leadership mantra, tomorrow is here.
“Because you have demonstrated enormous capacity; because you have exhibited enormous potential of the very fabric of our state’s economy, I want to assure you that the House of Assembly shall expeditiously consider this and give you the legal framework to continue flying high,” Hon. Ugwu stated.

News
I regret trusting my community elders,’ says Cubana Chief Priest after primary election defeat
Pascal Okechukwu, popularly known as Cubana Chief Priest, has reacted to his defeat in the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Orsu/Orlu/Oru East Federal Constituency seat in Imo State.
The celebrity businessman, who serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the City Boys Movement, had sought the APC ticket to contest for a seat in the House of Representatives.
Reacting after the outcome of the primary election in a viral video, Cubana Chief Priest said he had no regrets contesting for the position. Still, he expressed disappointment over what he described as misplaced trust in community elders.
“I’m a hustler, and I didn’t regret trying to contest for a position. My only regret was trusting the elders in the community. I know how much I gave them, but only 14 people voted for me in the primary,” he said.
Cubana Chief Priest had announced his political ambition earlier this year, advocating for what he described as cleaner and issue-based political participation driven by young Nigerians.
Following his defeat, reactions trailed the outcome on social media, with some users mocking the businessman and suggesting he may have underestimated the dynamics of Nigerian politics.

However, Ossai Ovie Success defended him against online criticism.
“Why are people mocking Cubana Chief Priest? Not nice… it’s ok to try and try again,” he wrote on Facebook.
“He lost an election and so what? I am disappointed,” he added.

News
Peter Obi mourns 17 police officers killed in Yobe deadly terror ambush
Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has expressed deep sorrow over the killing of security personnel during a recent terrorist attack on a military school in Yobe State, describing the deaths as a painful national tragedy.
In a statement issued on Saturday, Obi extended condolences to the leadership of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the Police following the reported death of 17 police officers and an unspecified number of soldiers during the attack.
“I extend my sincerest condolences to the High Command and Leadership of the Nigerian Military and the Police over the tragic loss of our courageous officers,” Obi said.
“It is with deep sadness that I acknowledge the heartbreaking death of 17 brave police officers, alongside an unspecified number of soldiers, who made the ultimate sacrifice during the recent terrorist attack on a military school in Yobe State.”
The former Anambra State governor said the nation must stand in solidarity with the military, police authorities, and the families of the slain officers.
“At this moment of profound sorrow, the entire nation stands in solidarity with the leadership of the Armed Forces, the Police, the affected commands, and the wider security community,” he stated.

Obi stressed that the continuous loss of security personnel and innocent civilians should not be treated as routine, warning that insecurity must be confronted with urgency and sincerity.
“Every security personnel killed is a tragedy to our nation. Every fallen officer represents a family thrown into grief, children left without parents, and communities robbed of those sworn to protect them,” he said.
He called on the Federal Government to prioritise the welfare of families of fallen officers through adequate compensation and long-term support.
“The Federal Government must ensure adequate compensation, support, and long-term welfare for the families of all those who paid the supreme price in service to our nation,” Obi added.
The Labour Party chieftain further urged authorities to adopt decisive and strategic measures to tackle insecurity across the country.
“A nation cannot continue to normalise the killing of its security personnel and innocent citizens without urgent, decisive, and strategic action. We must confront insecurity with sincerity, professionalism, and the political will necessary to protect lives and restore public confidence,” he stated.
Obi also sympathised with the bereaved families, assuring them that the sacrifices of the slain officers would not be forgotten.
“To the families of the fallen heroes, I offer my deepest and most heartfelt sympathies. We mourn with you, and we honour the courage and sacrifice of your loved ones. May their souls rest in eternal peace,” he said.

News
Enugu 2027: Civil society group kicks against Nnaji clearance
A Civil society organization, The Defence for Democracy, has criticized the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) for clearing former minister of Science and Technology, Uche Geoffrey Nnaji, to contest the primaries for the forthcoming governorship elections in Enugu State despite being under investigation over alleged forged credentials.
Nnaji resigned from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s cabinet over allegations of forgery and is currently being investigated by relevant authorities.
In a statement issued by the National President of the organisation Dr. Emeka Nwachukwu, and made available to journalists, the organisation questioned the integrity of the entire screening and accused the party of working in favour of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The organisation said the APC will have sufficient grounds to fast-track accelerated hearing of the forgery case and eventually upturn any victory in the name of the former minister should he win.
The group stressed that “leadership must be built on trust, integrity, and credibility. The people of Enugu State deserve leaders whose records can withstand public scrutiny without fear or controversy.”
The organisation emphasized that while the allegations are not yet proven before a competent court of law, the PDP has a moral responsibility to raise the red flag on the former minister, “Because we are all in this country, and we know that in an event that this former minister wins, there will be an accelerated hearing that will hand over that victory to the APC.

“We believe firmly that Enugu deserves honest leadership, grassroots connection, and a leader who understands the pains of the people, and there are many such people.
“From our findings there are people who represent a great future, and as an organization, we stand for good governance, and when our findings throw up people of impeccable character, we naturally step in to ensure that they excel.
“We therefore find it strange that people can move from controversy to ambition without addressing the questions hanging over their names.”
The organisation called on the aspirant to immediately clear his name before throwing himself into the race, stressing that the allegations and public reports surrounding his academic credentials are too weighty to be ignored.
The organisation called on the National Secretariat of the PDP to immediately intervene and save the party the embarrassment, stressing that “We are watching events in Enugu and other parts of the country, and we would have issued this statement to congratulate the Enugu state chapter of the party if it screened out the former minister, because there is a moral burden there which is far beyond what the courts might eventually pronounce.”

-
News2 days agoJAMB announces date for change of institution, result printing
-
News1 day agoEnugu 2027: Civil society group kicks against Nnaji clearance
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: US, Nigerian Forces kill ISIS Commander in Nigeria, Says Trump
-
Cubana Chief Priest (right)
Cubana Chief Priest (right)News1 day agoCubana Chief Priest loses APC House of Reps ticket
-
News2 days agoU.S.-based Nigerian jailed 115 months for money laundering, romance scam
-
News3 days agoTeacher shot, Principal and students kidnapped as gunmen storm Oyo schoolP
-
News2 days agoWhy Tinubu almost sacked me as chief of staff – Gbajabiamila
-
News2 days agoNigeria’s inflation rises to 15.69% in April


