Connect with us

News

How shipping firms failed to remit over N119b levies to FG

Published

on

Spread the love
At least three shipping companies, acting as collection agents for the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), have allegedly colluded with some management staff of the agency to evade the payment of over $79.9 million in revenue, equivalent to over N119 billion (at exchange rate of N1,505) to the federal government, an investigation and analysis of credible documents by the Daily Trust Saturday have revealed.

Our correspondent gathered that the shipping companies are Daddo Maritime Services Limited, Blueseas Maritime Services Nigeria Limited and Divine Marine Shipping Services Limited, which have failed to remit the statutory 3% levies, 2% cabotage surcharge, as well as offshore waste and sea protection levies to the federal government from 2004 to date.
Checks by our correspondent revealed that Daddo Maritime Services was founded in 1981, as the pioneer indigenous ship and tanker agency services provider in Nigeria.
It is owned by a former Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, who is chairman. The outfit is a member of his Daddo Group of companies.
Blueseas Maritime Services Nigeria Ltd was incorporated on the 22nd of August 2003. Its present CEO/MD is Hon Chris Nkwonta, the member representing Ukwa East/Ukwa West Federal Constituency in Abia State.
Divine Marine Shipping Services Ltd commenced full operations in June 1998, initially operating as an oil shipping agency and then evolving to offer full shipping services.
Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) search for all the three companies came back negative.
However, in 2023, the CAC announced that it has commenced the sticking off the names of companies from the Register of the Companies for failure to comply with the provisions of the Companies and Allied Matters Act 2020 to file up to date.
There are allegations that the companies have been diverting these levies for other uses. Sources within the maritime sector told Daily Trust that the debts owed the three companies were mostly from crude oil and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) exports and imports that have accrued for 20 years.
It was gathered that past efforts to get the entities involved to pay the amount owed had been rebuffed, despite the involvement of some security agencies.
Documents available to this newspaper showed that while Daddo Maritime Services Ltd owes the federal government about $34.5 million, Divine Marine Shipping Services Ltd owes about $11.8 million, while Blueseas Maritime Services Nigeria Ltd is indebted to the tune of about $33 million.
Further findings reveal that the three accused entities got mandate for the lifting of wet cargo from terminals such as Bonga Port, Bonny Port, Apapa PortAbo Terminal, Agbami Terminal, Akpo Terminal, Ebok Terminal and many more to other areas, which sources from the shipping sector said are within cabotage trade.
Section 22(1) of the NIMASA Act 2007 has made it clear that the agency is charged with “Maritime Administration”, hence it has the responsibility to promote, regulate and administer public policies in the sector.
Though, inside sources at NIMASA said there have been concerted efforts by the agency to investigate and get the accused companies to pay the “colossal amounts”, such efforts had met brick walls, as none of those firms had been made to face the full wrath of the law.
A maritime expert, who asked not to be named, described the extent of violation of the NIMASA Act as “alarming”. He said the accused firms have accumulated substantial debts to NIMASA, “While also flagrantly violating provisions of the NIMASA Act since 2004”.
Sources said despite being referred to some security agencies, the companies have managed to evade accountability, often with the alleged protection of previous NIMASA management over the years, “and unpatriotic law enforcement officials”.
Another source in the maritime sector said that the failure to hold the companies accountable for their non-compliance with the provisions of the NIMASA Act represents a fundamental failure of leadership on the part of the agency’s management.
“It is unacceptable that the owners of these companies continue to enjoy lavish lifestyles while owing substantial sums to the government,”he said.
He stressed that any investigation must include a thorough reconciliation exercise focusing on the accumulated outstanding debt, under-declaration, and non-reconciliation of disputed bills, “All of which constitute clear violations of the NIMASA Act.”
However, another source from NIMASA said some of the accused firms have started paying up what they owed while some of those who have allegedly divested the funds have gone into hiding. Daily Trust Saturday could not independently verify this.
But a group of maritime experts, in a letter dated April 15, 2024, addressed to the director general of NIMASA,
titled ‘Unsettled debts by shipping companies to NIMASA’, asked the current leadership of the agency to investigate the activities of the shipping companies and the entities charged with the responsibility of collecting revenue, on behalf of NIMASA from 2004 till date.
The letter, which was signed by Kayode Olatubosun, a maritime stakeholder, with office in Apapa, Lagos said: “The apparent impunity with which the companies operate suggests a systemic failure in oversight and enforcement by previous management regimes at NIMASA.”
He said: “We implore you to undertake a comprehensive review of the debt profile of these delinquent companies to fully comprehend the extent of their financial delinquency. It is imperative that a thorough reconciliation exercise be conducted to accurately assess the debt, under declaration, and non declaration practices that constitute flagrant violations of the NIMASA Act,” the letter stated.
The experts urged security operatives to prioritise the matter with the urgency it demands and take decisive action to hold accountable those responsible for “defrauding the government.”
NIMASA, shipping companies react.
Daily Trust Saturday contacted the Head of Public Relations at NIMASA, Osagie Edward, who told our correspondent that the agency was currently investigating the allegations.
He said the current management team, led by Dr. Dayo Mobereola had put measures to overhaul the entire system to run effectively. According to him, some of the measures put in place include blocking all areas of revenue leakages by reducing human interface in the operations of the agency.
“Investigations are ongoing, the outcome of which will be made public. Be assured that anyone indicted will be made to face the law, no matter how powerful he or she may be. This current management will not. encourage corruption, no matter whatever form it may assume,” he added.
Daily Trust Saturday contacted Blueseas, one of the accused shipping companies and its Managing Director, Franklin Nze who told our correspondent that reconciliation is ongoing and that the outcome of the exercise will determine what the company owed.
Nze explained that the reconciliation had been ongoing since 2020, and that payment is being made to clear the backlog.
“Our company is a reputable organisation and will not short-change the government in whatever form.
There was a mix up and some people wrote to (the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission) EFCC. We were invited and we opened our books to them for scrutiny. While we were at the verge of reconciling the account, the same people wrote another petition to (the Department of State Services) DSS and we were again invited.
“We started the entire process again and it was at this juncture that a committee was set up with a view of.resolving the whole issue. An agreement was reached on payment plans. As we speak, my management is working round the clock to liquidate the debt,” he said.
He explained that what might be delaying the whole process may not be unconnected to the recent.change of leadership at NIMASA, and that since the current management is new, it may be going through some of the agency’s records.
When contacted on phone, Mr. Kola Olapoju of Divine Marine and Shipping Services Ltd, later first admitted that their company was owing the government an unspecified amount, and was also frank about some of the allegations relating to alleged compromise by some NIMASA top officials.
Alapoju alleged those from NIMASA who initiated the deal have now retired and accused them of spreading the news. He said the affected shipping companies and agents who, on behalf of NIMASA collect revenue from vessels doing businesses in Nigeria remit a certain percentage into government accounts, according to the terms of the contract. He however alleged that any entity that refuses to do “business as usual” was removed as an agent.
“This fraud had been entrenched in the system for a very long time. Those who started it have retired and now it is we that they are holding,” he said.
Olapoju, however, later phoned our correspondent.and threatened to go to court if his client’s name or his was mentioned in our report. “I will advise that you should attribute the allegations and my responses to anonymous sources and not my client or me,” he said.
Daily Trust Saturday made several efforts to reach Daddy Maritime Services but was unsuccessful as the number of one Mrs. Dorcas, who is said to be the spokesperson for the company failed to connect up to press time.

News

Troops foil mass abduction attempt, rescue nine civilians

Published

on

Spread the love

Troops of Joint Task Force North West Operation FANSAN YAMMA (JTF NW OPFY) foiled an attempted mass abduction by terrorists in Unguwar Rogo Village, Kaura Namoda Local Government Area of Zamfara State, rescuing nine civilians, including an infant.

The incident occurred on 16 August 2026, when troops received a distress call that terrorists, believed to be led by suspected kingpin Mallam Shuaibu, had infiltrated the community and attacked civilians travelling along a local route.

Preliminary intelligence indicates that the attack may have been carried out in reprisal for the recent arrest of suspected collaborators linked to the terrorist network. The suspects had earlier been intercepted by troops while attempting to procure motorcycles and Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) in support of the terrorists’ activities.

In an apparent attempt to retaliate and abduct civilians, the terrorists concealed themselves within a millet farm along the route and opened fire on passing vehicles, causing some drivers to lose control and veer off the road.

Responding swiftly to the distress call, troops of Sector 2 moved to the area and decisively engaged the terrorists, denying them the opportunity to carry out the abduction. Faced with the troops’ superior response, the terrorists abandoned their mission and fled into the surrounding forest.

Maduka College Advert

Following the engagement, troops rescued nine civilians, including an infant. Two women who sustained gunshot wounds during the terrorists’ attack were promptly evacuated for medical attention and are currently receiving treatment.

Operation FANSAN YAMMA remains resolute in its determination to deny terrorists and other criminal elements the freedom to attack innocent citizens. The Joint Task Force will continue to sustain pressure on terrorist networks while taking all necessary measures to protect lives and restore lasting peace and security across the North West region.

Continue Reading

News

Edo Assembly Speaker Blessing Agbebaku resigns

Published

on

Edo ex-Speaker Blessing Agbebaku
Spread the love

The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has reportedly stepped down from his position.

His resignation came as reports emerged that some lawmakers were working on plans to impeach him from the speakership.

Agbebaku became Speaker of the 8th Edo State House of Assembly in June 2023 after lawmakers elected him to lead the chamber.

The former Speaker was originally
elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

However, he later moved to the All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2025, joining other political figures who changed parties as political alignments in Edo continued to change.

Maduka College Advert

His reported resignation comes as political activities begin to build ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The development is likely to lead to new discussions among lawmakers and political leaders over who will take over the leadership of the Assembly.

The resignation could also affect the balance of power within the House, especially as lawmakers consider the next person to lead the chamber.

Members of the Assembly are expected to meet and take the necessary steps toward filling the vacant Speaker position.

The reason behind Agbebaku’s decision to leave office has not been made public.

It is also not yet clear whether his resignation is connected to recent political developments within the state or other issues involving the Assembly.

More information is expected to emerge as lawmakers react to the development and begin discussions on the next leadership of the Edo State House of Assembly.

Continue Reading

News

Sheikh Jingir: Christianity not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria — Pastor Enenche

Published

on

Pastor Dr. Paul Enenche
Spread the love

• Says security agencies must act against provocative religious remarks

Senior Pastor of Dunamis International Gospel Centre, Pastor Paul Enenche, has declared that Christianity is not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria, while condemning comments linked to Islamic cleric Sheikh Yahya Jingir.

Speaking during the church’s Sunday service at its headquarters in Abuja, Enenche reacted strongly to the controversy generated by Jingir’s recent remarks, insisting that Christians could not be regarded as inferior to adherents of any other faith in the country.

The cleric described the suggestion that Christianity was secondary to another religion as unacceptable, arguing that Christians are present in large numbers across every part of Nigeria.

Enenche also warned against taking the Christian community for granted, maintaining that the church remains a significant force in the nation.

He criticised security agencies for failing to invite Islamic cleric, Sheikh Muhammad Jingir, over his recent comments advocating a Muslim-Muslim political arrangement in Nigeria.

Maduka College Advert

According to Enenche, security agencies should have acted against statements capable of provoking religious tension and violence in the country.

The pastor described as unacceptable the suggestion that Christianity should be regarded as subordinate to any other religion in Nigeria, insisting that Christians constitute a significant part of the country’s population.

He said, “Christianity is not secondary, and no group of religious fanatics will ever make it secondary. Not you, not any political group of people will ever make Christianity secondary to any.”

Enenche also questioned why security agencies had not invited the cleric for questioning over his comments, arguing that allowing individuals to make what he described as reckless statements without consequence could threaten national peace.

He said, “I blame security forces for allowing people to make reckless statements. You allow them still moving on the road, allow them still moving, not knowing that such a statement can incite instant violence.”

The pastor added that authorities should have taken steps to establish whether the comments could incite violence, rather than allowing the speaker to continue making such statements publicly.

“People are messing up and destroying the nation; they are walking free of charge, and they are talking,” he said.

Enenche further warned against taking the Christian community for granted, saying Christians had remained calm despite what he described as provocative statements.

“Nobody should take the church in this nation for granted. Don’t take the church for granted,” he said.

His comments followed controversy generated by the Chairman of the Ulama Council of Jama’atu Izalatil Bid’ah Wa’ikamatis Sunnah, Sheikh Muhammad Jingir, who recently advocated the continued adoption of a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket.

Jingir had, at a special wedding reception organised by the Kano State Government for 1,500 couples whose weddings it sponsored, urged Muslims to vote in a manner that would demonstrate their numerical strength.

Amid reactions to his comments, Jingir told the BBC that he had no regret over his advocacy for a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket, stressing that he had held the position long before the administration of President Bola Tinubu.

The comments have attracted reactions from various quarters, including the National Coordinator of the Obidient Movement Worldwide, Yunusa Tanko, and Nigeria’s Ambassador-designate to South Africa, Femi Fani-Kayode.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert