Connect with us

International

Mother, daughter shot dead in their home by man looking for his ex-wife, gunman kills self 

Published

on

Spread the love

• Man who killed mother, daughter in Floreat home was looking for his ex-wife – Police

Two women and a man have died after reports of gun fire at a Floreat home on Friday afternoon.

About 4.30pm, a man in his 60s attended the home on Berkeley Crescent where a woman in her 50s and another in her late teens were present.

The man killed the older woman and critically injured the younger woman, before killing himself.

A large number of police resources were deployed to the area including the Tactical Response Group and specialist detectives.

Three people are dead after a shooting  in Floreat on Friday afternoon.
• Three people are dead after a shooting in Floreat on Friday afternoon.CREDIT:NINE NEWS

St John WA provided emergency treatment to the younger woman before conveying her to Royal Perth Hospital, where she later died.

The investigation into the circumstances surrounding the deaths is ongoing. The man in his 60s is known to the woman in her 50s through a mutual contact.

Maduka College Advert

WA Police will continue to provide support and assistance to the family, friends and first-responders affected by this tragic incident.

WAtoday understands the incident was domestic violence related.

The crime scene is a few doors down from a church and close to Floreat Forum shopping centre.

“I heard tyres screeching, lots of sirens and then the occasional crack,” a Berkeley Crescent resident told Nine News.

“Two people have been killed and a third person rushed to hospital in a critical condition after an alleged shooting in Floreat.

“My mate lives just up the street, he said there was between eight and 15 shots.”

Police described the incident as being contained and said there was no ongoing threat to the public.

WA Police will be holding a conference in relation to the incident on Saturday.

Police confirm three dead

Latest reports say the 63-year-old man who shot and killed a mother and teenage daughter inside their home in Perth’s western suburbs on Friday afternoon was the ex-husband of one of the mother’s friends, WA Police have confirmed.

The man, who attended the Floreat house looking for his ex-wife, instead murdered home owner Jenny Petelczyc, 59, and Gretl Petelczyc, 18, before turning the gun on himself.

The man was a licensed firearms’ holder, and was also known to police, but not for violence.

His ex-wife, whom Nine News Perth understands had sought refuge at the Petelczyc’s house in the past, was not at the property at the time of the shooting.

Gretl had just passed her driving test in December.
                                      • Gretl had just passed her driving test in December.CREDIT:FACEBOOK

Speaking to media on Saturday, Detective Inspector David Gorton from the Major Crime Division said police had been called to the Berkeley Crescent address by a family member who had learnt of what was going on.

He said police were on the street by the time the last shot was fired at around 4.30pm, with the man having attended the address just 10 minutes prior.

“We believe that last shot was the male taking his own life,” Gorton said.

“We still have ballistic technicians at the scene. At this stage, we’re really unsure about how many shots were fired.

“These are distressing circumstances and police will continue to provide support to the first responders, families and friends all those involved in this incident.

“Any death is tragic. However, when you get a multiple murder it has a greater impact.”

International

Security Alert: CCTV Footage of White House shooting suspect released By Trump goes viral

Published

on

The suspect
Spread the love

The President of the United States, Donald Trump, has released CCTV footage and images of a suspect linked to a shooting incident at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in Washington.

The released video, shared shortly before the President spoke to the press, reportedly shows the suspect entering the ballroom of the Washington Hilton and bypassing a security metal detector before armed security personnel moved in to intercept him.

Trump described the individual as a “would-be assassin,” alleging that he was heavily armed and managed to breach a key security checkpoint.

According to BBC reporting, the President said the suspect forced his way past screening procedures while carrying multiple weapons.

Photographs also released by the President show a shirtless man lying face down in a lobby area with his hands restrained behind his back, believed to be the suspect involved.

Authorities confirmed that the suspect is now in custody. Trump also stated that a law enforcement officer was shot during the incident but survived due to wearing a bulletproof vest.

Maduka College Advert

The shooting occurred on Saturday night during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, an annual event attended by journalists, government officials, and other dignitaries.

The incident caused panic at the venue, leading to the evacuation of guests and officials.

Investigations are ongoing to determine the motive behind the attack and how the security breach occurred.

Continue Reading

International

U.S., Iran agree two-week ceasefire as Iran reopens Strait of Hormuz

Published

on

Strait of Hormuz
Spread the love

Iran has confirmed a two-week ceasefire announced by U.S. President Donald Trump, the Tasnim news agency, which is close to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), reported early on Wednesday.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz would be possible for two weeks in coordination with Iran’s armed forces “and with due consideration of technical limitations.”

Trump had made reopening the waterway a condition for the ceasefire and had threatened to target Iran’s energy sector and infrastructure, including bridges, if Tehran failed to comply, setting a deadline of 0000 GMT.

The Strait of Hormuz, crucial to global oil and gas trade, has been largely closed since the United States and Israel launched large-scale attacks on Iran on Feb. 28.

According to a senior U.S. official, Israel will also adhere to what Trump described as a “double sided CEASEFIRE.”

Pakistan, which has mediated between Tehran and Washington, said that an immediate ceasefire between Iran and the US had taken effect.

Maduka College Advert

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif wrote on X that the Islamic Republic of Iran and the U.S., along with their allies, had agreed to an “immediate ceasefire everywhere,” including in Lebanon.

“I warmly welcome the sagacious gesture and extend deepest gratitude to the leadership of both the countries and invite their delegations to Islamabad on Friday … to further negotiate for a conclusive agreement to settle all disputes,” Sharif said.

Trump earlier said Sharif had asked him to refrain from carrying out the threatened attacks.

The U.S. has received a 10-point proposal from Iran and believed it offered a “workable basis” for negotiations, Trump wrote on his platform Truth Social.

According to The New York Times, the plan calls for lifting all sanctions imposed on Iran. (dpa/NAN)

Continue Reading

International

Earthquake kills 8 members of same family in Afghanistan

Published

on

Spread the love
An earthquake that struck Afghanistan overnight killed eight members of the same family in Kabul province, the health ministry said on Saturday.

The 5.8-magnitude quake struck at 8.42 pm (1612 GMT) on Friday at a depth of 186 kilometres (115 miles) at the epicentre in northeastern Badakhshan province, according to the US Geological Survey (USGS).

Shaking was felt in multiple parts of the country, including the capital Kabul, according to AFP journalists.

“In the Gosfand Dara area of Kabul Province, eight members of a family died as a result of the earthquake,” Health Ministry spokesman Sharafat Zaman said in a message to media.

He added that a child aged around two years old was the only survivor from the household and the country’s disaster management agency said the boy had been injured in the tremor.

Afghanistan is frequently jolted by earthquakes, particularly along the Hindu Kush mountain range near where the Eurasian and Indian tectonic plates meet.

In August, a shallow magnitude 6 earthquake wiped out mountainside villages and killed more than 2,200 people in eastern Afghanistan, making it the deadliest tremor in the country’s recent history.

Maduka College Advert

AFP

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert