Connect with us

News

INEC suspends rerun elections in Enugu, Kano, Akwa Ibom 

Published

on

INEC suspends rerun elections in Enugu, Kano, Akwa Ibom 
• Protesters during the rerun election in Enugu on Saturday
Spread the love

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has suspended the rerun elections in certain constituencies in Enugu, Kano, and Akwa Ibom states due to disruptions, irregularities, and the abduction of election officials.

The areas affected are the Enugu South 1 State Constituency in Enugu State, the Ikono/Ini Federal Constituency in Akwa Ibom State, and the Kunchi/Tsanyawa State Constituency in Kano State.This announcement was made in a statement signed by Sam Olumekun, the National Commissioner & Chairman of the Information and Voter Education Committee, on Saturday.

The suspension followed reports of thuggery and the hijacking of electoral materials in these states. In Enugu South 1 Constituency, elections were suspended in all eight polling units where the original result sheets were not available for inspection by voters before the polls began.

In Akwa Ibom State, elections were suspended in two polling units (Village Hall, EdemUrua 003 in Ini LGA and Village Hall Mbiabong Ikot Udo 003 in Ikono LGA) due to the theft of all election materials by hoodlums.

For the Kunchi/Tsanyawa State Constituency in Kano State, elections were suspended in all ten polling units in Kunchi LGA following invasions, vandalism, and disruptions by thugs.

The decision was made in accordance with Section 24(3) of the Electoral Act, 2022. INEC stated that it would announce further measures for the affected constituencies after a meeting on Monday and has invited security agencies to investigate the incidents. The Commission also committed to a thorough review of any breaches involving its officials.

INEC is conducting bye and rerun elections in 80 Local Government Areas across 26 states to fill vacancies in three senatorial districts, 17 federal, and 28 state constituencies involving 4,904,627 registered voters, of whom 4,613,291 have collected their Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs).

SEE ALSO:  2023 Kogi guber: SDP, Ajaka appeal tribunal verdict, want Ododo sacked

In Enugu, there were peaceful protests by both supporters of Labour Party and the Peoples Democratic Party over alleged failure of INEC officials to produce result sheets for sighting before the election.

Members of the Labour Party, who converged at the Robinson Primary School, Uwani and Uwani Secondary School venues of the election, alleged that the election umpire failed to present original result sheets for the election.

Advertisement

But members of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), who held a counter protest, said that they have seen the result sheets, insisting that the election must hold as planned.

The by-election was billed to  hold in only eight polling units at the Robinson Primary School, Uwani and Uwani Secondary School, situated on the same street.

As at 12 noon on Saturday, the election was yet to commence despite huge presence of both military, police and DSS operatives due to disagreement on the availability of result sheet.

The state INEC’s Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Dr Chukwuemeka Chukwu, however arrived at the venue of the election at about 11:45a.m. pleading with the already agitated voters to allow for the conduct of the election, a plea which was roundly rejected.

The REC who had earlier spoken to reporters in phone conversation around 10a.m. said he has not been briefed on why the election was yet to commence.

As the delay continued, the INEC headquarters came up with a statement announcing suspension of the election in Enugu South I State Constituency and others slated for Kano and Akwa Ibom states.

Advertisements
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Peter Obi should be held responsible for anarchy arising from August 1 hunger protest – Presidency

Published

on

Bayo Onanuga
Spread the love

Bayo Onanuga, a senior to President Bola Tinubu, has alleged that supporters Mr Peter Obi, former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, LP, are planning mayhem in Nigeria.

Onanuga claimed that the proposed nationwide protests were being planned by Obi’s supporters, whom he described as failed presidential candidate.

According to him, Obi should be held responsible for whatever crisis that would emanate from the action.

In a post on his X handle on Saturday, Onanuga said the proposed protest planners are also the same people who were instigated by the incarcerated IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu to launch the destructive ENDSARS protest in Nigeria in October 2020.

He wrote: “REVEALED: Peter Obi’s supporters are the people planning mayhem in Nigeria: Obi should be held responsible for anarchy

“Don’t be fooled: the malcontents planning to stage nationwide protests are supporters of Peter Obi, the failed presidential candidate of the Labour Party. And he should be held responsible for whatever crisis emanates from the action.

“The protest planners are also the same people who were instigated by IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu to launch the destructive ENDSARS protest in Nigeria in October 2020. ENDSARS began as a genuine protest by youths against the Police Special Anti-Robbery Squad, notorious for its high-handedness. IPOB members planning to extricate the South East region from Nigeria infiltrated the protest and hijacked it for their own agenda. Lagos still bears the scar of the malicious destruction by IPOB elements until today.

“Two years after ENDSARS, the IPOB and the gullible innocents joined the Labour Party in 2022 to support Peter Obi, a sympathiser of their cause.

Advertisement

They are the people spreading the hashtags ‘EndBadGovernance’, ‘Tinubu Must Go,’ and ‘Revolution2024’. They are not democrats but anarchists. They are attempting to call out our people via propaganda because their Messiah, Peter Obi, failed to win the Presidency in the 2023 election. As bad losers, they don’t have the patience to wait for another election in 2027; they would rather destabilise Nigeria by staging a civilian coup against President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Naira abuse: Cubana Chief Priest opts for out-of-court settlement, forfeits N10m to FG as court strikes out charge
Continue Reading

News

Two brothers drown in FCT River

Published

on

Two brothers drown in FCT River
•The river behind the village
Spread the love
Two brothers, Joshua and Samson, have drowned in a river in Robukya community in Kwali Ward in Kuje Area Council of the FCT.

A relation of the deceased, Musa Abednego, who confirmed the incident to our reporter on Thursday, said it happened on Tuesday around 9am while they were crossing the river.

He said the brothers, Joshua and Samson, were between the ages of nine and 12 and that they were on their way to the farm when the incident happened.

He explained that the victims got drowned following a heavy rainfall which made the river to overflow.

He said, “Their father asked them to hold on after the rain subsided. Unfortunately, they left home to the farm without him knowing.”

Abednego said their corpses were recovered on Wednesday around 4pm through the help of some fishermen, adding they had been buried.

The spokeswoman of the FCT Police Command, SP Josephine Adeh, was yet to speak on the incident.                                              Daily Trust

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  N33bn fraud: Court remands ex-power minister in prison
Continue Reading

News

CBN intervenes in foreign exchange market

Published

on

CBN intervenes in foreign exchange market
Central Bank of Nigeria
Spread the love
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has started selling foreign exchange on a regular basis through Authorised Dealer Banks and licensed Bureaux De Change (BDCs) as a response to the current fluctuations in the foreign exchange market.

These fluctuations are primarily caused by the demand pressure coming from corporate entities and the seasonal increase typical during the summer period.

By implementing regular sales of foreign exchange, the CBN aims to stabilise the market and ensure smoother transactions for both businesses and individuals involved in foreign exchange activities.

Director, Financial Markets Department of the CBN Dr Omolara Omotunde Duke in a statement on Friday night assured the public of the bank’s commitment to address the demand pressure and stabilize the foreign exchange market.

Highlighting recent transactions, the CBN disclosed that it sold a total sum of US$106,500,000.00 to 29 authorized dealer banks on Thursday, July 18 and Friday, July 19, 2024.

These transactions took place within an exchange rate range of N1,498.00/US$1 to N1,530.00/US$1. Additionally, the CBN purchased US$9,500,000 (Nine Million and Five Hundred Thousand Dollars) from four authorized dealer banks at rates between N1,510.00/US$1 and N1,550.00/US$1. All these transactions are marked for settlement on July 19, 2024.

The Central Bank also stated its commitment to closely monitor compliance with existing trading rules and regulations by authorized dealer banks. This is seen as an effort to promote ethical conduct and ensure stability in the foreign exchange market.

The general public was also advised to direct their foreign exchange demands to their respective banks and BDC operators, adhering to prevailing market regulations.

SEE ALSO:  Court sets aside law used in dethroning Emir Bayero, others

With the regular sale of foreign exchange and ongoing monitoring of trading practices, the CBN aims to meet demand pressure, foster stability, and sustain a well-functioning foreign exchange market.

Advertisement
Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending