
News
Kogi 2023: SDP candidate, Muri denies meeting with Ododo, accuses Bello of spreading fake news
Ahead of the November 11 governorship election in Kogi State, the candidate of the Social Democratic Party, Muritala Ajaka, has denied ever meeting with his All Progressives Congress counterpart, Ahmed Ododo, contrary to a media report.
In a statement issued on Wednesday by the Director of Communications of the Muritala Ajaka Governorship Campaign Council, Faruk Adejoh-Audu, the governorship candidate described the purported meeting as a piece of fake news put together by the administration of Governor Yahaya Bello in its quest to retain power for the APC.
The statement read in part, “In yet another display of unrestrained desperation, the government of Yahaya Bello has begun spreading fake news of secret meetings between its candidate and the SDP governorship hopeful, Muritala Ajaka.
“An obvious rogue blog known to have been contracted by the criminally depraved brigands that answer to the name of a State Government in Lokoja on Tuesday went to town with the fiction that there had been secret meetings between one Ododo said to be the Kogi governorship candidate of the APC and Mr Ajaka.
“This brazen falsehood following closely on the heels of Bello’s disgraceful stage-managing of decamping of fake executives of the SDP a couple of weeks ago, demonstrates the sheer desperation in the camp of the despot and the handpicked minion he parades as APC governorship candidate.
“It will be recalled that on August 11, touts and urchins were gathered from the streets of Lokoja and given free caftans and caps to wear to pose for a group picture with Mr Bello. The picture was later brandished by Mr Bello as Zonal and Local Government Executives of the SDP who came to Government House Lokoja to decamp.

“Because we busted the unintelligent scam and ridiculed his asininity, he has now descended to inventing fake news through faceless blogs, believing that since it’s not directly coming from him, the public could be fooled into believing the falsehood. “
Adejoh-Audu added that since Ajaka left the APC a few months ago, he has not met with chieftains of the party including Gov Bello and Mr Ododo.
“For the avoidance of doubt, the SDP candidate, Ajaka who officially left the APC in May, this year, has never met with Mr Bello and his cousin Ododo at anytime since his defection and has absolutely no reason to want to meet with people who have nothing to offer except violence, blood-letting and barefaced looting.
“Ajaka and the SDP horse are galloping to a resounding victory and we shall not be distracted by fake news invented and spread by a drowning outlaw desecrating the revered seat of power in our state.
“If Bello and Alhaji Ajaka would ever meet again, it is most likely to be at the handing over ceremony on January 27, 2024 – if Mr Bello is brave enough to appear for the event after 8 years of atrocities against the people, the land of Kogi and the Nigerian laws against abuse of office and financial crimes,” he added.
The campaign council further urged the governor to brace up for the defeat that awaits his party and candidate in November, saying spreading of fake news against the leading governorship candidate of the SDP would not save them.

News
Police arrest suspect over killing of Imo Nursing Student
Suspected assassins have murdered Wendy Achumba, a female student of the College of Nursing Umulogho, in Obowo LGA of Imo state.
The State Police Command said Thursday that it has intensified investigations into the gruesome murder of the female student in order to apprehend the killers.
Reports indicate that the student, who was said to be done with her midwifery but on post basic training, was killed in her apartment on Thursday.
The deceased hails from Isiala-Ngwa in Abia state, but details of her death were still sketchy as of the time of filing this report.
Confirming the development, the Imo state police command said it has launched a manhunt for the killers.
“The Command is aware of the tragic incident involving the death of a female student of the College of Nursing, Umulogho, whose body was discovered in her private off-campus apartment,” Henry Okoye, spokesperson for the command, said in a statement on Friday.

Okoye added that following the report, the DPO and operatives promptly visited the scene for an on-the-spot assessment, after which the body was recovered and deposited at the morgue.
Okoye said investigation has commenced to unravel the circumstances surrounding the incident and arrest those responsible.
He noted that the command has arrested one suspect, who is currently undergoing preliminary questioning.
“Consequently, the Command appeals to students and members of the public to remain calm, assuring that the situation is under control and that every effort is being made to ensure those behind the act are brought to justice,” the statement added.

News
2027: Back Tinubu or risk losing federal projects — Umahi tells South-East Leaders
The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has urged political stakeholders in the South-East to rally behind President Bola Ahmed Tinubu ahead of the 2027 general elections, warning that failure to do so could affect the region’s access to federal development projects.
Umahi made the remark while addressing concerns around federal infrastructure delivery and political alignment in the South-East, stressing that the region stands to benefit more under continued cooperation with the current administration.
According to him, the Tinubu-led government has already committed substantial resources to ongoing road and infrastructure projects across the South-East, including major highways, bridges, and rehabilitation works, which he said reflect unprecedented federal attention to the region in recent years.
The minister argued that political alignment remains critical in ensuring continuity and expansion of such projects, insisting that opposition politics could weaken the region’s influence in national decision-making and project allocation.
He maintained that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has demonstrated what he described as “inclusive governance” through appointments and infrastructure investments, adding that the South-East should adopt a more strategic political approach rather than confrontational positioning ahead of 2027.
Umahi also reiterated his belief that the South-East would overwhelmingly support Tinubu’s re-election bid, insisting that ongoing projects and federal presence in the region would naturally translate into political appreciation.

His comments are the latest in a series of strong endorsements of the President by the Works Minister, who has consistently pointed to major federal road projects in the region as evidence of what he calls renewed attention to South-East development.
The statement is expected to generate political debate, especially among opposition figures and stakeholders in the region who have continued to question the distribution of federal projects and political inclusiveness.
As the 2027 elections draw closer, analysts say such remarks highlight the growing early political positioning within Nigeria’s major geopolitical zones, particularly in the South-East where electoral competition remains highly contested.

News
Woman passes out after receiving 100 strokes of cane for having sex outside marriage
A woman has passed out after she and her partner were each flogged 100 times in public for engaging in sex outside marriage under strict Sharia laws in Indonesia’s Aceh province.
The woman, whose identity was not disclosed, was later carried away after the punishment was carried out in Banda Aceh, located at the northern tip of Sumatra island on Thursday.
A masked official dressed in brown robes administered the caning before members of the public who gathered to witness the punishment.
Her partner was also seen wincing in pain while receiving the lashes.
The pair were among several individuals punished for violating Sharia regulations in the province.
Authorities from the Banda Aceh Sharia Court and the Prosecutor’s Office handed down punishments ranging from 25 to 100 lashes for offences including extramarital sex allegedly arranged through online applications.

Aceh remains the only province in Muslim-majority Indonesia operating under Sharia law, where unmarried couples are prohibited from having sexual relations.
Caning is commonly used in the province as punishment for offences such as gambling, alcohol consumption, same-sex relations and sex outside marriage.
Under Aceh’s Sharia regulations, child rape offenders face some of the harshest penalties, including up to 200 strokes of the cane, a prison sentence of as long as 200 months or fines equivalent to two kilograms of gold.
The punishments are usually carried out publicly as a way of shaming offenders in addition to inflicting physical pain.
Such canings are often conducted outside mosques or in open public spaces, with residents watching and taking photographs during the exercise.
Human rights organisations have continued to condemn the practice, arguing that it causes emotional trauma and violates international human rights standards.
Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have repeatedly criticised the punishments, saying they conflict with Indonesia’s constitution and global legal obligations.
Amnesty said in a statement: “Caning contravenes Indonesia’s constitution and is in clear violation of international human rights law and standards.
‘It constitutes a cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment and can amount to torture in violation of the UN Convention against Torture and other international covenants, to which Indonesia is a State Party.’”
Despite the criticism, local authorities have defended the punishments as part of Aceh’s religious and cultural identity, insisting they serve as a deterrent against immoral behaviour.
Earlier in January, another couple in the province reportedly received 140 lashes each after being found guilty of drinking alcohol and engaging in sex outside marriage. (Daily Mail)

-
News2 days agoBREAKING: Fubara withdraws from APC governorship primaries
-
News2 days agoTerrorists have infiltrated no less than 40 South-West LGs — Gani Adams
-
News2 days agoEkweremadu’s Mother-in-Law for Burial 28th May
-
News2 days agoAPC Enugu announces Senatorial primary results, Presents Certificates of Return to winners
-
News1 day agoCarnival as Enugu APC Turns Out En Masse to Affirm Mbah Guber Candidate
-
News21 hours agoPresidency denies plan to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law
-
News2 days agoCoup trial: Accused colonel rejects military court
-
News21 hours agoDefence Headquarters releases full details of terrorist group behind Oyo school attack


