Connect with us

News

Court remands famous Skit maker ‘Trinity Guy,’ victim’s parents over alleged sexual exploitation

Published

on

Spread the love

A Family Court sitting at Iyaganku, Ibadan, on Monday, ordered the remand of a skit maker, Maruf Abdullahi, popularly known as “Trinity”, in Agodi correctional facility over alleged sexual exploitation of a 10-year-old girl.

The court also arraigned Isiaka Ahmed, 40, and his wife, Rofiat, 29, who are parents of the victim on two-count charge of conspiracy and sexual abuse and exploitation alongside the skit maker.

The Magistrate, Mrs P.O. Adetuyibi, who did not take the defendants’ plea for want of jurisdiction, said that the case file had been filed and duplicated at the Oyo State Ministry of Justice.

Adetuyibi remanded the three defendants in Agodi correctional facility, Ibadan, pending July 11 when the case would come up for mention.

The Defence Counsel, Mr Oludare Adebayo, argued that Section 41 empowered the court to hear the matter.

Maduka College Advert

Adebayo also said the victim was a product of poverty.

The magistrate said that the case file had been duplicated, but added that not until the ministry of justice accepted to withdraw it that she could hear the matter.

Earlier, the Prosecution Counsel, Insp Oluwakemi Arowosaye, had told the court that the three defendants conspired together to sexually abuse the girl.

Arowosaye said that “Trinity”, on Dec. 17, 2022, sexually abused and exploited the girl at Kuola area of Ibadan.

“Abdullahi was asking the victim the colour of his penis, recording the scene and posting it on social media,” she said.

According to her, the offences are contrary to Section 35 (1) and punishable under Section 35 (2) of Oyo State Child Right’s Law, 2006.v

Arowosaye said that the offences also contravened Section 516 of the Criminal Code Laws of Oyo State, 2000.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that if the skit maker is found guilty of the offence following the remand, Trinity could be liable to 15 years imprisonment under the Child Right’s Law, 2006. (NAN)

News

40 feared dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

Published

on

41 feared dead in Zamfara boat accident
Spread the love

About 40 people are suspected to have lost their lives after a boat carrying farmers to their rice farms capsized in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

The incident occurred while the victims were crossing a stream to access their farms.

Most of those on board were reportedly children aged between 10 and 15 years.

An eyewitness said more than 70 people were on the boat when it capsized shortly after taking off.

The village head was among those on board but he was reportedly rescued.

“So far, we have recovered about 40 bodies, while six people, including the village head, were rescued,” a local journalist who was at the scene, Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, told our reporter.

Maduka College Advert

According to him, the victims comprised farm owners and labourers who had been engaged to harvest rice.

“The canoe capsized shortly after take-off. Rescue operations are still ongoing, with local divers searching for those still missing and recovering bodies,” he said. (Daily Trust)

Continue Reading

News

Alleged Drug Trafficking: Tinubu seeks 10-day delay in release of records

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu
Spread the love

Ahmed Tinubu has joined the US Department of Justice in seeking a 10-day extension to respond to a motion seeking the release of records relating to allegations of drug trafficking.

Tinubu’s legal team filed a notice of joinder before the US District Court for the District of Columbia, asking to be placed on the same schedule as the defendants in the case.

The filing was published online by Von Batten-Montague-York, L.C., a US-based policy advisory and lobbying firm retained by former Vice President Atiku Abubakar.

In the notice, Tinubu’s lawyers said they were joining the defendants’ request for a 10-day extension to respond to the motion for summary judgment.

“Intervenor joins Defendants’ motion for a 10-day extension of time to file response to the motion for summary judgment (DE 92), inasmuch as Intervenor requests that the responses remain on the same schedule,” the filing stated.

Maduka College Advert

The notice was signed by Christopher W. Carmichael and Victor P. Henderson of Henderson Parks, LLC.

According to the filing, the plaintiff opposed the request, while the defendant did not.

However, US District Judge Beryl Howell subsequently denied the application for an extension, according to the lobbying firm.

In a post on X, Von Batten-Montague-York alleged that the requested delay could give Tinubu additional time to lobby US officials against the release of the records.

The firm claimed that the records could become a subject of discussions around US-Nigeria relations and Tinubu’s cooperation with Washington on security matters.

It also raised concerns about what it described as possible attempts by US government officials to influence the judicial or Freedom of Information Act process.

The case, Aaron Greenspan v. Executive Office for U.S. Attorneys, et al., Civil Action No. 23-1816 (BAH), has been pending for more than three years.

The records sought in the case concern US investigations and allegations relating to Tinubu and suspected drug-trafficking activities.

Previous reports have linked a $460,000 asset forfeiture involving Tinubu to a US federal investigation into a Chicago-based heroin-trafficking network in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Court records and affidavits from US authorities have been cited in reports about the forfeiture proceedings.

In 1993, a US District Court ordered the forfeiture of $460,000 held in an account in Tinubu’s name to the US government.

The order stated that the funds represented proceeds of narcotics trafficking or were involved in transactions violating money-laundering laws.

Tinubu has consistently denied wrongdoing and rejected allegations that he was involved in drug trafficking.

His lawyers have maintained that the forfeiture proceeding was an in rem civil action against the money, rather than a criminal case against Tinubu.

They have also argued that he was never arrested, indicted, arraigned or convicted of a drug offence in the United States. (Nigerian Tribune)

Continue Reading

News

Plateau Massacre: Save Nigeria Group USA appeals to Trump, US Congress for decisive action

Published

on

Spread the love

Save Nigeria Group (SNG) USA and its coalition partners have condemned the reported killing of at least 24 civilians in an attack on communities in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, appealing to United States President Donald Trump and Congress to intensify security cooperation with Nigeria.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, the group said the attack began on the night of August 17 and continued into the early hours of August 18 in Bin-Per, also reported as Bin Mper or Binper, in Kombun District of Mangu LGA.

According to the statement, armed assailants reportedly moved from house to house, attacking residents while they slept, destroying homes and farmlands and leaving several people dead or injured.

The group said initial reports put the death toll at 18 but that subsequent reports indicated between 24 and 26 fatalities. It cited the Plateau State Government as confirming 24 deaths and Reuters as reporting at least 25.

SNG USA said the victims reportedly included women and children, while a mass burial was subsequently held for 24 victims.

Maduka College Advert

“We refuse to look away,” the organisation declared, calling for urgent international attention to the continuing violence against vulnerable Nigerian communities.

The group said local victims, community representatives and civil society organisations had identified the attackers as Fulani ethnic militias, but stressed that the identity and classification of perpetrators should not obscure the immediate need to protect civilians.

“Call it whatever you want—just stop the killings,” SNG USA said, arguing that debates over whether the violence should be characterised as terrorism, communal conflict, religious persecution, criminality or a combination of factors should not distract from the loss of lives.

Appeal to Trump, Congress

The organisation made a direct appeal to President Trump and the US Congress for stronger support for Nigeria’s security efforts.

“We therefore appeal directly to President Donald J. Trump and the United States Congress: Please, do something to help stop these killings,” the group stated.

It said the United States possessed significant diplomatic, intelligence, economic, technological and security capabilities that could be deployed to support efforts to protect vulnerable communities.

SNG USA also called on US Africa Command (AFRICOM) and the broader US national-security establishment to give greater strategic attention to armed groups responsible for attacks on Nigerian civilians.

“Every armed group that targets civilians must be confronted, regardless of ethnicity, religion, political affiliation, or geographic identity,” the group said.

The organisation also welcomed the recent US-Nigeria Joint Working Group discussions in Washington, D.C., and urged both countries to move from dialogue to concrete security measures.

It called for stronger intelligence capabilities, surveillance, rapid-response capacity, modern equipment, training, logistics and technology to support Nigerian security agencies.

Calls for arrests and stronger protection

SNG USA welcomed the Plateau State Government’s directive for intensified surveillance and patrols in Bin Mper and other vulnerable communities in Mangu, but said patrols must lead to concrete results.

“Surveillance and patrols must translate into prevention, rapid response, arrests, prosecution, and lasting protection,” the organisation stated.

It demanded the immediate identification and arrest of those responsible for the August 17–18 attacks, alongside a transparent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the killings.

The group also called for stronger early-warning systems, protection of farming communities, humanitarian assistance for survivors and displaced families, and accountability for perpetrators regardless of their identity or affiliation.

While commending recent security successes, including the reported rescue of school students and teachers in Oyo State, SNG USA urged the Nigerian Government to do more to protect rural communities.

“Protecting vulnerable rural communities from mass murder must become an absolute priority of state power,” it said.

The organisation concluded by urging Nigerian and international authorities to intensify efforts to prevent further attacks, declaring: “The killing must stop. The impunity must end. The world must not look away.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert