
News
Why we petitioned ICC to prosecute Buhari, Emefiele — Anti-corruption group
Chairman, Board of Trustees of Anti-corruption group, Center for Human Rights and Anti-, Corruption Crusade (CHURAC), Cleric Ebikonbowei Alaowei, (Esq), has explained why the group petitioned the International Criminal Court, (ICC) to commence criminal investigation against Nigeria’s immediate past President Muhammadu Buhari and the country’s recently suspended Central Bank Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele.
CHURAC had last week, in a petition route through the Office of the Prosecutor Communications, International Criminal Court, ICC, The Hague, The Netherlands, requested for the prosecution of Buhari and Emefiele for crime against humanity as provided under Article 15 of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court.
Alaowei on Sunday stated that the petition was hinged on policy both Buhari and Emefiele initiated and implemented when they were in government in Nigeria.
According to Alaowei, the redesign of the Nigerian currencies of 200, 500 and 1000 naira notes respectively with January 31st, 2023 as the deadline for use of the old naira notes as announced by the Emefiele-led CBN on the 26th of October, 2022, brought untold hardship on Nigerians, particularly venerable people.
He contended that despite the warning and criticisms from financial experts all over the world, including the International Monetary Fund (IMF) which warned that the timing of the policy will hurt the Nigerian economy thereby causing hardship to Nigerians, Buhari and Emefiele went ahead to frost the policy on Nigerians thus causing the death of many.

Specifically, the anti-graft group recalled that in October 28th 2022, the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning in the Government of the Federation of Nigeria, Mrs. Zainab Ahmed, had said the CBN did not consult her Ministry on the Policy and that the Currency Swap Policy will further jeopardize the Nigerian economy.
He said that Buhari and Emefiele despite public outcry and warning, stiffed the process of getting the redesigned new naira notes and even directed banks to stop over-the-counter withdrawal of the redesigned new naira notes in order to create artificial scarcity of the naira notes thereby making life difficult for the ordinary Nigerians.
The petition further reads; “Nigerians have to buy the few circulated new naira notes with costly prices. Ten Thousand Naira, for instance, have to be sold for fifteen thousand naira or more. Only few people can have access to the currencies. People in the rural areas became victims of this systematic policy of starvation. The Naira scarcity has occasioned an untold hardship which resulted to loss of lives and means of livelihoods across the Country
“On the 2nd of February 2023, some of the Nigerian State governments of Kaduna, Kogi, Zamfara sued the Federal Government of Nigeria over the inimical naira redesigned policy at the Country’s apex, the Supreme Court of Nigeria in Suit No: SC/CS/200/2023. Despite being aware of the pending Suit, CBN said it has no plan to extend February 10th 2023 deadline.
“Regrettably, Buhari and the CBN Governor flagrantly flouted the ruling of the apex Court in gross violation of the Nigerian Constitution, 1999 (as amended).
“By February 13th 2023, ten days after, Buhari remained silent on how he intends to address the cash scarcity ravaging the Country after promising Nigerians. Meanwhile, on the 14th of February 2023, CBN insisted on the February 10th deadline for the old currency notes validity despite the pending Court order.
“In February 16th 2023, former President Buhari addressed Nigerians in live television broadcast on the Naira scarcity and approved the use of the old N200 notes till April 10th 2023 instead of complying with the pending Court order. Accordingly, on the 21st of February 2023, three Nigerian State governments initiated contempt proceedings against Godwin Emefiele and the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice who was representing Buhari in the Court for flouting the Supreme Court Order.
“The former President used the instruments of State powers to suppress the judicial process, while continuing with his anti-people’s policy which has subjected Nigerians to beaming end.
“While the back and forth moves on the Naira Redesign Policy and deadlines lasted, violent protests erupted across several parts of the Country as the cash scarcity hit Nigerians hard. The hardship was further exacerbated by the increase in the prices of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) as well as the scarcity of the product at the same time.
“Consequently, between the months of February and March 2023, residents of Ibadan, the capital of Oyo State, Abeokuta the capital of Ogun State amongst other States, took to the streets to protest the lingering petrol and cash scarcity.
“One person was killed during a face-off between the protesters and the Nigerian Police officers while the unrest in Ibadan lingered. Another person was reportedly shot by the Nigerian Police in the city of Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital.
“An official of the Lagos State University (LASU) slumped and died while waiting in a long queue to withdraw money at a bank on the institution’s main campus in Ojo, Lagos.
“On the 2nd of February 2023 a bank customer died after queuing at a generation bank in Agbor, a town in Delta State of Nigeria. Also on the 11th of March 2023, a radio presenter with Fresh FM in the city of Ibadan slumped and died while trekking to work after a futile effort to withdraw cash from the bank.
“People spent five to six hours to stand in a queue in the banks just to withdraw may be two thousand naira notes which cannot even buy goods with the lowest prices in the market due to the rising inflation.
“In a similar vein, violent protests continued across the Country at the same period. Some commercial banks were destroyed in Edo, Ogun, Delta, Lagos, etc States while the protests lasted due to the Naira scarcity.
“The Centre for the Promotion of Private Enterprise (CPPE) said that the Nigerian economy lost an estimated N20 trillion to the Policy during the naira scarcity. Former President Buhari and the CBN Governor later admitted that the policy was initiated to curb vote buying at the General Elections held on 25th of February and 18th of March 2023.
“The CBN Governor explained that the decision was reached due to persisting concerns with the management of currency in circulation — particularly those outside the banking system.
“Five months later, Nigerians have been directed to go back to using the old notes side by side with the new notes till December 31st 2023 but even at that the new Naira notes are not in circulation. It means the CBN Governor and former President Buhari deliberately initiated this policy to inflict an untold hardship on Nigerians just because of their interest in the general elections.
“The action of the duo of Mr. Godwin Emefiele and former President Buhari has flagrantly violated the fundamental rights of Nigerians entrenched in international laws. The act constituted crime against humanity as provided under Article 7 of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court. We therefore, request you to carry out a holistic investigation of the crime in order to try them once they’re found culpable.
“Many Nigerians are still suffering and yet to recover from the adverse effects of the inimical currency swap policy. Even hospitals recorded so many deaths because people could not have access to their monies in the banks to fund treatments.
“If your office, in this matter, it will serve as deterrence to other leaders of nations from the member countries from trampling on the rights of their nationals in initiating policies. We’re ready to provide all necessary information for the investigation and possible prosecution of the culprits,” the petition reads. (Sun)
News
2027 Election: Yilwatda apologises to aggrieved Oyo APC members, seeks unity
Ahead of the 2027 general elections, the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, has apologised to aggrieved members over perceived wrongs during the party’s internal primaries, saying the National Working Committee (NWC) takes responsibility for such actions.
Yilwatda, who made the disclosure on Thursday in Ibadan during the launch of the APC governorship candidate campaign office in Ibadan, appealed to members who felt hurt, injured, prevented or excluded in any form to forgive the party and remain united ahead of the 2027 general elections.
He said the responsibility extended beyond Oyo State, stressing that the committee that conducted the party’s primaries was constituted by the national leadership and therefore, any mistake committed by it amounted to a mistake by the party.
“This is not for Oyo State alone. Anywhere anybody made a mistake in a state, it is our mistake because the committee was set up by us and they are representing us.
“If anybody is hurt, if anybody is injured, if anybody is prevented or excluded in any form or the other, we take responsibility. On TV, before Nigerians, we take responsibility of all that has happened. I appeal to everybody that we are sorry,” he said.

The APC national chairman urged members at polling units, wards and local government areas across the country to regard the matter as an internal family affair.
Yilwatda assured that the party was taking Oyo State seriously because of its strategic importance and large voting population, second only to Lagos.
Speaking, the APC governorship candidate in Oyo State, Senator Sharafadeen Alli, commended the party’s National Chairman, Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, for fulfilling his promises to the state within two days.
Alli expressed appreciation to Yilwatda for honouring the invitation to meet with governorship aspirants and stakeholders, saying the achievements recorded within the period surpassed what the stakeholders had been able to accomplish.
He said the promises made when the national chairman invited the aspirants had now been fulfilled.
“We cannot thank you enough for what you have come to do. What you have achieved successfully in two days, we have not been able to accomplish,” Alli said.
He assured the national chairman that the party in Oyo would continue to do the needful.
Earlier, mammoth crowd of members and supporters of the All Progressives Congress (APC) gathered in Ibadan on Thursday as the party’s national chairman, Professor Nentawe Yilwatda, officially inaugurated the party’s governorship campaign office in Dandaru, along the Total Garden-Mokola Road, Ibadan.
The inauguration formed part of activities marking the APC National Chairman’s two-day official visit to Oyo State, which commenced on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.
Party members from across the 33 local government areas of the state converged on the venue to witness the official inauguration of the campaign office and welcome the national chairman.
The campaign office will serve as the secretariat of the APC governorship candidate in Oyo State, Senator Sharafadeen Alli.
Business
AFRAA welcomes Enugu Air, strengthens Nigeria’s Domestic Aviation growth
The African Airlines Association (AFRAA) has admitted Enugu Air as Member, extending the Association’s membership base in Nigeria’s fast-growing domestic aviation market and reaffirming AFRAA’s commitment to supporting the continued development of African carriers across the continent.
This was announced by AFRAA in Nairobi on Wednesday, making Enugu Air the 50th Member of the association, joining the AFRAA airline fraternity, collectively representing more than 85 per cent of total international traffic carried by African airlines.
Speaking on the occasion, AFRAA Secretary General, Mr. Abdérahmane Berthé, said, “We are delighted to welcome Enugu Air into the AFRAA fraternity.

“As a state-backed carrier serving Nigeria’s rapidly expanding domestic market, Enugu Air represents the kind of homegrown investment that is vital to building resilient air connectivity across our continent.

“We look forward to supporting the airline through the IOSA certification process and to its continued growth within the AFRAA membership, as we work together to advance the cause of unified African skies.”
Reacting to the development, the CEO of Enugu, Capt Tolu Ita, described the admission into AFRAA as a major milestone in the airline’s short history.
“We are honoured to join the AFRAA fraternity. This membership underscores Enugu Air’s commitment to safe, reliable, and affordable air travel for Nigerians while contributing to the vision of a unified African aviation market.
“We look forward to collaborating with fellow AFRAA members and leveraging the association’s support as we grow our network and pursue IOSA certification,” Tolu stated.
Founded on July 7, 2025, Enugu Air commenced commercial operations with a fleet of Embraer E170/E190/E195 aircraft.
The airline, which has its headquarters in Enugu and operates from the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, currently serves nine domestic destinations including Enugu, Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kano and Benin City.
As part of the airline’s growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.
As part of its growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.
The admission of Enugu Air aligns with AFRAA’s strategic priorities and strengthens the voice of the association. Nigeria, as Africa’s most populous nation and one of its fastest-growing economies, remains central to the realization of a truly integrated African aviation market.
Meanwhile, founded in Accra, Ghana, in April 1968, and headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, AFRAA’s mission is to promote, serve African Airlines and champion Africa’s aviation industry.
The association envisions a sustainable, interconnected and affordable air transport industry in Africa, where African airlines become key players and drivers of African economic development.
AFRAA membership cuts across the entire continent and includes all the major intercontinental African operators.
The association’s members represent over 85% of total international traffic carried by African airlines.
News
Aiyedatiwa appoints 1,004 aides, picks commissioner, three advisers
Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has approved a fresh round of appointments involving a commissioner, three Special Advisers and 1,000 other aides.
The appointments comprise 90 Senior Special Assistants and 910 Special Assistants, with the governor saying the move is intended to reinforce his administration and improve its reach across the state.
Erelu Taibat Yemi Oloruntoba, from Akoko North-West Local Government Area, has been nominated as Commissioner for Special Duties. Her nomination has been transmitted to the state House of Assembly for consideration and confirmation.
The governor also appointed Hon. Abimbola Fajolu as Special Adviser on Environment, Chief Ade Adeniyi as Special Adviser on Rural and Community Development, and Mr Muyiwa Ogunyemi as Special Adviser on Transport.
Among those named as Senior Special Assistants are Erelu Toyin Ogungbure, Women Mobilisation (South); Bidemi Obayangbon, Forestry; Gboluge Olufunmi Alex, Community Engagement (South); Hon. Akin Adeniyi, Community Engagement (Central); and Obayan Theophilus Ayodeji, Community Engagement (North).

Others include Kelvin Solomon, Students Affairs; Adeolu Iwakun, Volunteer Services; Samson Job Bazuaye, Oil and Gas; Fade Ojamomi, Youth Empowerment and Job Creation; Sam Adepoju, Public Engagement; and Alhaji Samad Orijeminiyi, Scholarship.
Also appointed are Victor Omodara, Grassroots Mobilisation; Abayomi Adefolalu, Photography; and Alhaji Abdukadiri Adenoyi, Prince Nzuoma Egbulefu and Alhaji Garba Goni, all for Non-Indigenes.
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
International2 days agoCanada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
-
Uncategorized2 days ago2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin
-
News2 days agoLagos shuts churches over noise pollution
-
News2 days agoTwo shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
-
News2 days agoWhy I won’t apologise to Okpebholo — Davido
-
News2 days agoEven if Tinubu appoints Seyi as INEC chairman, he’ll be defeated in 2027 — Dalung
-
News2 days agoAccess Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys




