Connect with us

Politics

Kogi youths accuse State INEC REC, Longpet of bias, demand his immediate removal

Published

on

The protesting Kogi youths
Spread the love
Hundreds of Kogi youths stormed the headquarters of Independent National Commission, INEC in Abuja on Tuesday demanding the immediate removal of the state Resident Electoral Commissioner, REC, Dr Hale Gabriel Longpet, accusing him of being biased.
The protesting youths said the continued stay of Longpet as Kogi REC would jeopardize the forthcoming governorship election because of his close romance with the state Governor, Yahaya Bello.
The angry youths operating under the umbrella of Igala Youth Leaders Assembly (IYLA), Ukomu Igala, and other similar organisations from Kogi East Senatorial District, said that they have totally lost confidence in the ability of Dr Longpet to deliver a credible election in the state.
The protesters were armed with various placards some of which read: ‘Longpet is a disgrace to INEC’, ‘Give us another REC’, ‘We want Longpet replaced forthwith’, ‘INEC, Kogi is not for sale,’ ‘Remove and Replace Longpet now,’ ‘We demand for free and fair election in Kogi’, ‘Longpet Must Go,’ among others.
They later moved to the Unity Fountain in Abuja where Dr. Felix Akor Ojoachele, the IYLA speaker, addressed a press conference giving details of the alleged “malfeasance displayed by Dr Hale Gabriel Longpet, INEC’s Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in Kogi State being administratively misguided by the State INEC Administrative Secretary Engr. Suleiman Tanko, a close ally of Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello, whose wrongdoings have (allegedly) polluted the electoral process, diminished the confidence in INEC, and spread sorrow and unhappiness in Kogi State.”
Dr. Ojoachele said: “This press conference is a follow-up to an earlier letter to the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Yakubu Mahmoud, last month written on our behalf by Ukomu Igala Organisation.
“That letter unequivocally called for the immediate discipline of Dr Hale Longpet as Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in Kogi State. Weeks after the letter was delivered to Professor Yakubu Mahmoud, the INEC Chairman has not shown evidence of a desire to take us seriously.”It is for that reason that members of this organization and like-minds have organised this world press conference today (Tuesday), to reinforce our demand that Professor Yakubu Mahmoud and the INEC Management show that steps are being taken to redeem the battered image of INEC in Kogi State, and to give us confidence that the gubernatorial election is going to be free, fair, credible and transparent.

“This step is to immediately, without wavering, remove or discipline Dr Hale Gabriel Longpet and Engr.Suleiman Tanko as the REC and Administrative Secretary of INEC  in Kogi State for their roles in supporting Governor Yahaya Bello to claim that APC primaries held across all wards and Local Government Council Headquarters across Kogi State, which sparks outcry of the possible outcome of the November gubernatorial election, if the shoddy APC gubernatorial primaries can be applauded by INEC as acceptable.

“Dr Hale Longpet and Engr. Suleiman Tanko have been engaged in professional misconduct and biases, which have made mockery of elections and the democratic process in the North-Central State of Kogi State.

“Apparently, their cups are full and running over, so INEC cannot continue to turn a blind eye to their misconduct. The people of Kogi State, have totally rejected them, and INEC must immediately remove them and replace them with people who have capacity to ensure free, fair, credible and transparent polls in the coming gubernatorial election in November 2023.

“Without mincing words, we call on Professor Yakubu Mahmoud to remove Dr Hale Longpet and Engr.Suleiman Tanko, including those Electoral Officers who have served for so many years and have become landlords in the State, whose activities for the Governor give him the opportunity to boast that his already written results for the Kogi November 11, 2023 gubernatorial election will be announced in favour of his anointed candidate.

Maduka College Advert

“These electoral umpires should be removed from Kogi State due to their lack of impartiality, which is unbecoming.

“We, the people of Kogi State, have, therefore, lost confidence in Dr. Hale Longpet and Engr. Suleiman Tanko’s neutrality to conduct the next governorship election in the State, scheduled to hold in November 2023.”

Continuing, the IYLA Speaker pointed out some of the distortions, flaws and aberrations which the INEC officials in the state overlooked in the February 25, 2023 National Assembly elections which made a mess of the poll to include, “manipulation of BVAS, as many voters were denied their right to vote because BVAS showed that they had been accredited, though they were not”, adding that  it was clear that INEC officials had configured BVAS to prevent thousands of persons to cast their votes in the National Assembly elections.

The IYLA protesters armed with various placards

He also pointed out the electoral violence in Kogi East Senatorial District, which according to him, ‘the REC turned the blind eye and failed to take the right steps in such circumstances.”

Others, he said, were:  “Snatching of ballot boxes at gunpoint in Kogi East Senatorial District. Video and photographic evidence were on display for the world to see, but Dr. Hale Long pet did not see them. He went ahead to declare winners;

“Inconclusive polls in hundreds of polling units in Kogi East Senatorial District due to disruptions by criminal elements who worked for a political party;

“Party agents were forced to sign fraudulent election results at gunpoint, in the presence of INEC officials, who still declared those results as valid;

“Alleged Electoral fraud, in the form of alteration of results in favour of Yahaya Bello’s candidates, from many polling units in Kogi East Senatorial District, carried out by INEC officials and security personnel during the collation of the results;

“Failure to call for the conduct of fresh elections (or make up polls) at polling units where violence or lack of electoral materials prevented thousands of voters from casting the votes during the elections; Declaring results under shady circumstances,” as well as the destruction of ballot papers and boxes by a local government chairman that belongs to the ruling all Progressives Congress (APC) in the state as shown in the viral video, but which the INEC failed to take necessary action. 

Dr. Ojoachele further said that they have received intelligent information that suggested that thugs were being trained somewhere in Okene Local Government Area “to promote insecurity in the state ahead of the gubernatorial election.”

“This was evident in the incidence of Saturday, 3rd of June 2023, where the governor’s convoy was alleged to have attacked the SDP candidate’s convoy coming to Lokoja on a thank you visit along Lokoja-Abuja road,” he added.

The IYLA spokesman, however, called on the people of state to be vigilant and resist any attempt by dubious politicians to cause anarchy in the state ahead of the November governorship election.

News

2027 Election: Yilwatda apologises to aggrieved Oyo APC members, seeks unity

Published

on

Spread the love

Ahead of the 2027 general elections, the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, has apologised to aggrieved members over perceived wrongs during the party’s internal primaries, saying the National Working Committee (NWC) takes responsibility for such actions.

Yilwatda, who made the disclosure on Thursday in Ibadan during the launch of the APC governorship candidate campaign office in Ibadan, appealed to members who felt hurt, injured, prevented or excluded in any form to forgive the party and remain united ahead of the 2027 general elections.

He said the responsibility extended beyond Oyo State, stressing that the committee that conducted the party’s primaries was constituted by the national leadership and therefore, any mistake committed by it amounted to a mistake by the party.

“This is not for Oyo State alone. Anywhere anybody made a mistake in a state, it is our mistake because the committee was set up by us and they are representing us.

“If anybody is hurt, if anybody is injured, if anybody is prevented or excluded in any form or the other, we take responsibility. On TV, before Nigerians, we take responsibility of all that has happened. I appeal to everybody that we are sorry,” he said.

Maduka College Advert

The APC national chairman urged members at polling units, wards and local government areas across the country to regard the matter as an internal family affair.

Yilwatda assured that the party was taking Oyo State seriously because of its strategic importance and large voting population, second only to Lagos.

Speaking, the APC governorship candidate in Oyo State, Senator Sharafadeen Alli, commended the party’s National Chairman, Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, for fulfilling his promises to the state within two days.

Alli expressed appreciation to Yilwatda for honouring the invitation to meet with governorship aspirants and stakeholders, saying the achievements recorded within the period surpassed what the stakeholders had been able to accomplish.

He said the promises made when the national chairman invited the aspirants had now been fulfilled.

“We cannot thank you enough for what you have come to do. What you have achieved successfully in two days, we have not been able to accomplish,” Alli said.

He assured the national chairman that the party in Oyo would continue to do the needful.

Earlier, mammoth crowd of members and supporters of the All Progressives Congress (APC) gathered in Ibadan on Thursday as the party’s national chairman, Professor Nentawe Yilwatda, officially inaugurated the party’s governorship campaign office in Dandaru, along the Total Garden-Mokola Road, Ibadan.

The inauguration formed part of activities marking the APC National Chairman’s two-day official visit to Oyo State, which commenced on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.

Party members from across the 33 local government areas of the state converged on the venue to witness the official inauguration of the campaign office and welcome the national chairman.

The campaign office will serve as the secretariat of the APC governorship candidate in Oyo State, Senator Sharafadeen Alli.

Continue Reading

Politics

Why I decided to work with Obi — Kwankwaso

Published

on

Spread the love
Former Kano State Governor, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, has explained that his decision to work with former Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi, on the 2027 presidential ticket was driven by the need to provide Nigerians with competent and accountable leadership.

Kwankwaso, in a message to Nigerians on the commencement of the 2027 presidential campaign, said the country was at a critical crossroads, citing rising living costs, unemployment, insecurity and inadequate investment in education, healthcare and infrastructure.

He said millions of Nigerians, particularly young people, were struggling to find meaningful employment, while businesses were facing high operating costs and an uncertain economic environment.

According to him, insecurity has also continued to threaten communities, with terrorism, banditry and kidnapping resulting in the loss of lives, homes and livelihoods.

“Our farmers need security to return to their farms, our children need safe schools, and every Nigerian deserves to live without fear,” he said.

Kwankwaso said the challenges confronting the country were serious but insisted that Nigeria had the human and material resources required to build a prosperous and secure nation.

Maduka College Advert

He said what was needed was leadership with “competence, courage and commitment” to place the interests of Nigerians above personal considerations.

Explaining his decision to partner with Obi, Kwankwaso said: “This is why I have chosen to work with His Excellency, Peter Obi, on the Obi-Kwankwaso ticket.

“Our partnership is not about region, religion or personal ambition. It is about Nigeria.”

He said the partnership was founded on the belief in a Nigeria where government serves the people, hard work is rewarded, young Nigerians can build successful futures in the country and every citizen has a fair opportunity to prosper.

Kwankwaso called on young people, women, workers, farmers, entrepreneurs and professionals to join the political movement, urging Nigerians to move beyond divisive politics and focus on issues affecting their daily lives.

He also urged voters to demand accountability, competence and measurable results from public office holders.

“The 2027 election presents Nigerians with an opportunity to choose a new direction,” he said.

Kwankwaso appealed to Nigerians to support the Obi-Kwankwaso ticket and candidates of the NDC, while urging supporters to conduct their campaigns peacefully and responsibly.

“Let us campaign peacefully, responsibly and with the national interest at heart. “Together, we can build a stronger nation and Nigeria will be OK,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov election

Published

on

photo: Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke
Spread the love

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, was on Sunday declared elected, having won 19 out of the 30 local government areas in the governorship election held across the state on Saturday.

The State Returning Officer, the Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University, Oye Ekiti, Prof Joshua Ogunwole, declared the result of the poll at about 7:24 am on Sunday.

Adeleke polled a total of 511067 votes to emerge victorious in the contest.

Ogunwole subsequently returned the governor to office for another term.

The incumbent Osun governor, who contested the poll on the platform of the Accord, defeated his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress, who won in 11 LG areas of the state.

Maduka College Advert

While Adeleke won in Ede North, Ede South, Ejigbo, Iwo, Egbedore, Ife North, Ife East, Ife Central, Oriade, Ifelodun, Orolu, Ayedaade, Ayedire, Odo Otin, Boluwaduro, Ilesa West, Ifedayo, Osogbo and Ayedire local government areas.

Oyebamiji, however, won in Irewole, Isokan, Olorunda, Atakumosa East, Atakumosa West, Ilesa East, Boripe, Irepodun and Obokun local government areas.

Declaring the results, Ogunwole said, “Accredited voters, 1010684, total votes received by political parties, A, 511067, AA, 2308, AAC, 1458, ADC, 17180, ADP, 2946, APC, 444815, APGA, 1475, APM, 234, APP, 114, BP, 111, NNPP, 118, PRP, 83, SDP, 155, YPP, 534, ZLP, 2482, total valid votes, 985079, rejected votes, 207, total vote cast, 1,005,800.”

After agents of the political parties have signed the results of the election, the Returning Officer declared Adeleke of the Accord as the winner of the poll.

“That Ademola Nurudeen-Jackson Adeleke having satisfied the requirements of the law is hereby declare the winner of the August 15 Governorship election and returned elected,” Ogunwole said.

The candidate of the African Democratic Congress in the poll, Najeem Salaam, came third in the poll.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert