Connect with us

News

Man found unconscious in room, wife, baby die in Ondo

Published

on

Spread the love
The Ondo State Police Command on Saturday said it began an investigation into the cause of death of a woman and her baby in Owo community, the headquarters of Owo Local Government Area of the state.

It was gathered that the 29-year-old woman, identified as Tawa, and her husband were found unconscious while their five months old baby was already dead in the room on Friday.

The family was said to have gone to bed hale and hearty on Thursday.

A source said the couple bought a new generator a few days earlier and it was running on Thursday evening before the family went to bed, raising suspicion that the incident could have been caused by generator fumes.

According to the source, the family was met in a critical condition on Friday.

While the baby was already dead, the couple were unconscious and were rushed to the Federal Medical Centre, Owo, where the wife gave up the ghost.

Maduka College Advert

The source said, “When the deceased’s elder sister did not see her at work on Friday afternoon, she became worried. So, she and some co-workers went to their house to check on them. When they got to their house, they met the door locked and had to forcefully break in.

“They were shocked to see the couple in a coma while their baby was already dead. So, they rushed them to the FMC where the wife passed away and the husband in a critical condition.”

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami, confirmed the incident but said investigation was ongoing.

She said, “For now, we can’t say exactly what caused the incident. Some are saying it was caused by generator fumes, but an empty bottle of sniper was also found in the room. So, it might be that the couple sprayed the insecticide in the room before going to bed. But investigation is ongoing.”

News

Police arrest unconscious transformer vandal in Enugu

Published

on

The suspected vandal
Spread the love

Enugu State Police Command, has arrested a 23-year-old suspected transformer vandal, identified as Nnaji Chidiebere, after he was found unconscious with various degrees of burns he sustained while allegedly vandalising a transformer along Ogbaike Road, Obollo-Afor, Udenu Local Government Area of Enugu state

This was contained in a statement issued in Enugu by the Police public relations officer of the state Police Command, SP Daniel Ndukwe on Tuesday.

According to him, “His arrest followed credible information from community members that he had been discovered at about 2:20 p.m., trapped inside the transformer while allegedly attempting to vandalise it.

“Upon receiving the information, operatives of the Command attached to Udenu Police Division promptly mobilised to the scene, found the suspect unconscious with various degrees of burns. He was immediately evacuated to a nearby hospital, where he was resuscitated and subsequently referred to a specialist hospital for further treatment.

“Upon regaining consciousness, the suspect identified himself as Nnaji Chidiebere and stated that he had been alone at the scene. Preliminary investigation, however, has linked him to transformer vandalism in the area. Further investigation is ongoing to determine the full extent of his activities, identify possible accomplices, and facilitate his prosecution.

Maduka College Advert

*The Commissioner of Police, CP Mamman Bitrus Giwa, psc, mspsp, smicm, commended the community members for their prompt intervention and information, which enabled the Police to respond swiftly, rescue and arrest the suspect.

“He reiterated the Command’s firm commitment to protecting critical public infrastructure and urged residents to continue providing timely and credible information on suspicious activities.”

Continue Reading

News

Access Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys

Published

on

Spread the love

• Funds stolen from customers’ corporate accounts, transferred to over 70 accounts in different banks

Access Bank Plc has approached the Federal High Court in Lagos seeking to recover ₦1.34 billion allegedly siphoned from the accounts of four corporate customers through unauthorised transactions on its Access SME internet banking platform.

The bank’s legal action followed the discovery on August 12, 2026, of suspicious transfers involving the accounts of MIB TXN Bullion, Aba Branch; AIICO General Insurance Company Limited; Apogee Engineering Limited; and SIMS Nigeria Limited.

Court documents showed that a total of ₦1,340,425,393 was allegedly transferred from the four accounts and subsequently distributed to accounts domiciled with Access Bank and 71 other financial institutions.

The affected amounts were ₦590,975,889 from MIB TXN Bullion, ₦420,449,504 from AIICO General Insurance Company Limited, ₦136 million from Apogee Engineering Limited and ₦193 million from SIMS Nigeria Limited.

In an ex-parte application marked FHC/LAG/MISC/1168/2026, Access Bank asked the court to preserve the funds and prevent their further movement pending the determination of its substantive suit.

Maduka College Advert

The bank listed 71 financial institutions as respondents and sought orders directing them to place post-no-debit restrictions on accounts and Bank Verification Numbers (BVNs) linked to the alleged fraudulent transfers.

It also asked the court to compel the affected banks to disclose the amounts remaining in the beneficiary accounts and watchlist the BVNs associated with accounts that received the funds.

Access Bank further sought an order directing the reversal of any recovered funds into its account, but the court declined to grant the request at the preliminary stage.

In its affidavit, the bank said its internal investigation established that the funds had been transferred without the authorisation of the affected customers and subsequently distributed among several accounts.

The bank said it immediately contacted the affected financial institutions, notified them of the suspected fraud and requested that the funds be preserved while investigations continued.

It argued that urgent court intervention was necessary to prevent the suspected proceeds from being withdrawn, transferred or otherwise dissipated.

Access Bank also maintained that preserving the funds was necessary to protect its customers and prevent cybercrime capable of causing significant financial and economic damage.

Justice Akintayo Aluko, after considering submissions by Access Bank’s counsel, Ifeoma E. Enyinnaya, granted three of the reliefs sought by the bank.

The judge held that the essence of the application was to preserve the funds from further dissipation and that the court had a duty to protect the subject matter of the case.

However, Justice Aluko declined to grant the relief seeking immediate reversal of the recovered funds, holding that such an order would amount to a final determination of part of the case at the preliminary stage.

The court subsequently adjourned the matter until August 31, 2026, for further proceedings.

Justice Aluko also directed Access Bank’s counsel to file an undertaking as to damages in the event that the orders granted by the court are later found to have been unwarranted.

Continue Reading

News

NDLEA busts cocaine cartel, arrests social media influencer KC Luxury in Lagos

Published

on

Spread the love

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency has dismantled an international cocaine trafficking cartel that allegedly used Nigeria as a transit hub for moving illicit drugs to the United Kingdom, other parts of Europe and Asia.

The agency also arrested the alleged Nigerian arrowhead of the syndicate, a self-styled luxury goods dealer and social media influencer, Afolabi Michael, popularly known online as “KC Luxury,” as he attempted to flee the country.

A statement by the agency spokesman, Femi Babafemi, on Tuesday, said the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Marwa (retd.), disclosed this while addressing journalists in Lagos on Tuesday.

Marwa described the operation as one of the most significant narcotics investigations undertaken by the agency in recent times, saying it led to the seizure of 184.50kg of cocaine, the largest cocaine seizure made through a courier company in Nigeria.

According to him, the operation began with the interception of the cocaine consignment concealed for onward export through a courier logistics channel in Lagos.

He said following the seizure, he directed the constitution of a Special Investigation Team to trace the entire network behind the shipment, from the couriers to the masterminds.

Maduka College Advert

Marwa said the cartel hoped to realise as much as N39bn from the consignment through its international distribution network.

“The operation began with the interception of a consignment of 184.50 kilograms of cocaine concealed for onward export through a courier logistics channel in Lagos. Given the scale of the seizure.

“I immediately directed the constitution of a Special Investigation Team, with a mandate to trace the entire network behind the shipment, from the couriers to the masterminds.

“The cartel was hoping to realise as much as N39 billion from the consignment through their international distribution network, ” the statement quoted Marwa as saying.

Working with the management of the courier company involved, Marwa said NDLEA operatives unravelled a network of intermediary companies and individuals used to process the consignment, leading to the arrest of two key suspects, among others.

“The first, Lawal Mujab Kehinde, a staff member of the logistics firm through which the cocaine was processed, was found to have a direct and sustained relationship with the cartel’s Nigerian coordinator. Investigation also established that he packages and processes consignments for the syndicate, routes them to the United Kingdom, other parts of Europe and Asia, while he was paid in cash.

“The second and more prominent suspect is Afolabi Kazeem Michael, popularly known online as “KC Luxury,” whom investigations identified as the Nigerian arrowhead of the cartel. Parading as a social media influencer and businessman dealing in gold, jewellery, and luxury goods, Afolabi used his glamorous public image to disguise a criminal enterprise moving cocaine along a pipeline stretching from South America, through Nigeria, to the United Kingdom, other parts of Europe and Asia,” Marwa said.

Marwa said Afolabi was arrested at the boarding gate of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, on August 13, 2026, after intelligence indicated that he planned to flee the country on a business-class flight to Paris.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert