Connect with us

News

Court grants Sowore, Nnamdi Kanu’s lawyer, others N500,000 bail

Published

on

Sowore and Ejimakor
Spread the love

A Magistrate’s Court in Kuje, Abuja, on Friday granted bail to publisher and activist, Omoyele Sowore; Aloy Ejimakor, a member of the legal team representing the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu; the IPOB leader’s brother, Emmanuel Kanu; and 10 others, in the sum of ₦500,000 each, with two sureties in like sum.

All 13 defendants were arrested and arraigned before the court for allegedly inciting public disturbance and breach of peace in connection with the #FreeNnamdiKanuNow protest held in Abuja on Monday, October 20.

While Ejimakor, Emmanuel Kanu, and the other 10 defendants were arrested during the protest and later remanded at the Kuje Correctional Facility, Sowore was apprehended on October 23 at the premises of the Federal High Court in Abuja, where he had gone to show solidarity with Kanu during his ongoing terrorism trial.

The 13 defendants are: Omoyele Sowore, Aloy Ejimakor, Prince Emmanuel Kanu, Joshua Emmanuel, Bishop Wilson Anyalewechi, Okere Kingdom Nnamdi, Clinton Chimeneze, Gabriel Joshua, Isiaka Husseini, Onyekachi Ferdinand, Amadi Prince, Edison Ojisom, and Godswill Obiama.

The amended First Information Report, updated to include Sowore’s name stated that the protesters committed, “Criminal conspiracy, unlawful assembly, membership of an unlawful assembly, joining or continuing in unlawful assembly knowing it has been commanded to disperse, disobedience of order duly promulgated by a public servant, inciting disturbance, and disturbance of public peace contrary to sections 100, 101, 104, 152, 114 and 113 of the Penal Code Law.”

According to the charge, the defendants allegedly obstructed the movement of other citizens, disrupted the free flow of traffic, and chanted war songs while demanding Kanu’s release, in a manner said to threaten national security.

Maduka College Advert

The charge further stated: “That you, Omoyele Sowore, fled upon sighting security agents and were later arrested. You thereby committed the above-mentioned offences.”

Ejimakor and 11 others were on Tuesday brought before the Magistrate’s Court by the police for arraignment, but the process was stalled due to the absence of legal representation.

As the defendants could not take their pleas, one of them, Nnamdi, who is also a legal practitioner, elected to represent himself. Ejimakor, however, requested a short adjournment to enable their legal team to arrive.

At the resumed sitting on Friday, the police counsel, Adama Musa, informed the court that the matter was scheduled for arraignment.

He said, “My Lord, the matter is for arraignment of the defendants, but we have an innocuous application to make. We have two First Information Reports — one dated 21 October and the other 23 October 2025. I apply to withdraw the FIR filed on 21 October 2025 and replace it with that of 23 October 2025. The essence is for the new report to cover all the defendants.”

The court granted his request, after which the amended FIR was read to the defendants for their pleas.

They all pleaded not guilty, insisting that the allegations against them were false.

Following their pleas, the prosecution requested a date for a hearing, while defence counsel, P. A. N. Ejoiofor, informed the court that a bail application had already been filed on behalf of the defendants.

He said, “We have filed and served a bail application supported by a 13-paragraph affidavit. We urge Your Lordship to grant all the prayers contained therein.”

However, the prosecution opposed the bail request, saying, “We have filed a 13-paragraph counter-affidavit dated and filed on 23 October. We rely on all the averments contained therein and urge the court to consider it in the interest of justice.”

In response, Ejiofor noted that the counter-affidavit filed by the prosecution did not bear the correct suit number of the case before the court.

He argued, “The counter-affidavit carries a different number. They are two separate matters, and as such, there is no valid counter-affidavit before this court”.

He explained that while there is a sister case with charge number CR/252/2025, the present one before the court is marked CR/253/2025. Therefore, the purported counter-affidavit is irrelevant.

Prosecutor Musa urged the court to disregard the objection, arguing that the content of the counter-affidavit should be considered regardless of the numbering error.

He said, “Whether the CR number is right or wrong, the decision to accept the counter-affidavit lies solely with the court. I urge Your Lordship to dismiss the objection, as this is not a matter of technicality.”

Ejoiofor, however, maintained that the counter-affidavit could not stand since it was filed under a different case number.

He argued, “If the document does not relate to this case, it is null and void. A counter-affidavit cannot be corrected by mere submission of counsel.”

He further urged the court to grant bail to the defendants, saying, “Some of these individuals are public figures. Sowore is a former presidential candidate; Bishop, Ejimakor, and Kanu’s brother are all well-known personalities. Many of them are legal practitioners with over 15 years at the Bar.”

The prosecution countered, saying: “They may be public figures to him, but not to me. Granting bail remains at the discretion of the court, and I urge your lordship not to grant bail to the defendants.”

In his ruling, the Magistrate agreed with the defence that the counter-affidavit was not validly filed for the present case.

He held, “There is no counter-affidavit before this court. I cannot rely on a document filed in another case to decide this one.”

Having made this clarification, the Magistrate proceeded to grant bail to all 13 defendants.

He admitted them to bail in the sum of ₦500,000, with two sureties in like sum.

The sureties are to present evidence of three years’ tax clearance, a valid means of identification such as a National Identification Number slip or an international passport.

The matter was subsequently adjourned till December 15, 2025, for hearing.

News

Terrorists have infiltrated no less than 40 South-West LGs — Gani Adams

Published

on

Gani Adams
Spread the love

Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland, Gani Adams, has raised fresh concerns over insecurity in the South-West, claiming that terrorists have infiltrated at least 40 local government areas across the region.

While speaking in a recent interview with The Punch, Adams said the threat in the South-West has become more serious than many people realise.

“We have 137 local government areas in the South-West, and we spotted not remnants of terrorists, but a lot of terrorists in no fewer than 40 local governments. We have many terrorists that have infiltrated those local government areas,” he said.

Adams revealed that his group had documented the development but chose not to make the information public immediately because they hoped to work directly with state governments to tackle the problem.

“We kept that document to ourselves because we were more confident that working with state governments, which are the institutions governing the states, would yield results compared to working with law enforcement agents,” he stated.

The Yoruba leader, however, expressed disappointment over what he described as the refusal of governors in the region to engage with his organisation despite repeated warnings over the past two years.

Maduka College Advert

“As a result, we called for collaboration with state governments for the past two years. This is a government that knows your antecedents, knows that you have a structure across Yorubaland, even beyond Yorubaland and in some northern states, yet refuses to talk to you, refuses to agree with you, or even assist you, despite being in power and benefitting from security votes,” Adams said.

“Yet they didn’t call to discuss with you. So, you have to bear in mind that the only assistance you can give to Yoruba people is to talk to the media and give little information that some states have been infiltrated and that there would be attacks in those states, because you are not helping matters by divulging the entire information,” he added.

Reacting to the recent abduction of pupils, teachers and residents in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Adams said local hunters and vigilante groups may not possess sophisticated weapons but still have a critical role to play in combating insecurity.

According to him, all factions of the Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC) and other local security groups in the South-West are ready to collaborate against criminal elements.

“All hands must be on deck to confront these criminals. You can have less potential and still know the criminals in your area. Security is not always about carrying sophisticated arms,” he said.

“You need intelligent people. You need people who can infiltrate enemy territories. You need multilingual people who can speak different languages and use that advantage to gather intelligence.

“You also need people with spiritual potential. You even need clerics who will pray for the success of your mission. So, the issue of security has different sectors. By combining those sectors, you can achieve victory against criminals,” Adams added.

His comments come days after gunmen attacked schools and surrounding communities in the Ogbomoso axis of Oyo State, abducting several pupils, students and teachers from Baptist Nursery and Primary School in Yawota, Community Grammar School and L.A Primary School in Esin Ele.

Ondo State and several other communities in the South-West have also witnessed repeated attacks by suspected kidnappers and armed groups in recent months.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Fubara withdraws from APC governorship primaries

Published

on

Fubara suspends Rivers LGA caretaker committee boss
Rivers Governor, Similayi Fubara
Spread the love

Rivers state governor, Similayi Fubara has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress, APC governorship primaries scheduled on Thursday, May 21.

Fubara said after a deep reflection and extensive consultations with his family, friends, and associates, “I have taken the difficult but necessary decision to withdraw from the APC gubernatorial primaries. I do so with a full heart and with a firm commitment to support whoever emerges as the candidate of our great party”.

He said leadership is ultimately about sacrifice, adding that there comes a time when personal ambition must yield to the greater good of the people.

“Rivers State is bigger than any individual, and at this critical moment, the peace, stability, and unity of our dear state must take precedence over every personal interest.

“To my supporters who stood firmly with me throughout this journey who gave their time, resources, prayers, and unwavering hope, I offer my deepest gratitude. I understand the disappointment, the anger, and the pain many of you may feel. Much has indeed been invested and much sacrificed along the way. But please know that your loyalty and trust were never in vain. My silence over this period was deliberate and strategic, guided always by the higher interest of our state and our people.

“As our elders say, not everything a hunter sees in the forest is spoken of in the marketplace. Some truths are best borne quietly, not out of fear, but out of wisdom and restraint for the sake of peace and a greater purpose. It is enough to say that I have faced immense pressures and difficult choices, but my love for Rivers State remains greater than anything else.

Maduka College Advert

“I sincerely thank our great party, the All Progressives Congress, for the platform and support extended to me throughout this process. I also express my profound appreciation to His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, for his support and encouragement.

“The APC remains our collective home, and I urge all party faithful and supporters to remain steadfast and committed as we continue to build a stronger and more united future together.

“Let it be clearly understood that I stepped aside from participating in the upcoming River’s state Gubernatorial election not out of weakness, fear, or surrender, but out of conviction and sacrifice so that Rivers State may move forward in peace and unity and I remain committed to serving the good people of Rivers state till the end of my term”.

Continue Reading

News

Ekweremadu’s Mother-in-Law for Burial 28th May

Published

on

Late Mrs. Monica Okwunerigo Okah
Spread the love

…Mbah, Otti, Anyim, Wabara, others mourn

The family of Mrs. Monica Okwunerigo Okah, mother-in-law of former Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, has announced funeral ceremonies for their late matriarch, with her burial scheduled for Thursday, May 28, 2026.

‎This was made known in an obituary issued on Wednesday by Engr. Isaac Okah, on behalf of the late Chief John Nnolum Okah family.

‎According to the family, Mrs. Okah’s final journey begins on Monday May 25, 2026 with service of songs at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Trans Ekulu, Enugu at 5pm.

‎A requiem mass and wake keep will be held in her honour at her country home, Enugu-Agu Achi in Oji River LGA at 5pm.

‎The funeral mass will hold on Thursday, May 28, at St. Theresa’s Catholic Church, Enugu-Agu Achi. This will be followed with condolence visits and celebration of her life.

‎There will be an outing and thanksgiving Service in her honour at the same church on Sunday, May 31.

‎According to the obituary, Mrs. Okah, who died on March 20, 2026, was a devout Christian, bridge builder, mentor, and community leader as well as a charitable, and hardworking woman.

‎She raised nine children, among them Lady Beatrice Nwanneka Ekweremadu, wife of former Deputy President of the Nigerian Senate and Speaker of the Parliament of the Economic Community of West African State, ECOWAS.

‎Meanwhile, tributes have continued to pour in ahead of the funeral ceremonies.

‎Leading the tributes is Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State, who described Mrs. Okah’s life as one marked by selfless service to God and mankind.

‎“She not only lived to a ripe age of 95, but equally made indelible marks on the sands of time as a community leader, peace builder, generous giver and indeed a woman of immeasurable impacts. She bequeathed laudable legacies that will always keep her memories fresh in our hearts,” Mbah asserted.

‎Also, eulogising the late nonagenarian, Governor Alex Otti of Abia State described her as a fervent Christian and respected community leader.

“She made sure people around her felt loved and accepted, and was admired for her deep wisdom and guidance. She will be remembered for her inspirational leadership and commitment to uplifting people around her,” he added.

On his part, former President of the Senate, Senator Adolphus Wabara, saluted what he described as her exemplary life of service.

‎“Mrs.Okah lived a life worthy of honour and resemblance, touching many with her kindness, strength, and motherly presence,” Wabara stated.

‎Also, in his tribute, former President of the Senate and Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim, reflected on Mrs. Okah’s resilience and life of service.

‎Senator Anyim noted, “Mama’s long life is a testament to God’s grace and a legacy of resilience, love, and commitment to family and community. She lived to a ripe old age, witnessed generations grow, and fulfilled purpose on earth.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert