Connect with us

News

Kogi monarch narrowly escape as hoodlums attack palace, burn vehicle, others

Published

on

Kogi govt stops salaries of 231 civil servants
Spread the love

Some suspected hoodlums on Saturday attacked the palace of Etsu Lokoja, HRH Emmanuel Akamisoko Dauda-Shelika, Nyamkpa IV, and burnt his vehicle and properties within the premises.

The palace which is located on plot 306, New Layout, Lokoja, was allegedly attacked by hoodlums at about 1:00 am on Saturday.

They burnt his vehicles while the monarch narrowly escaped by scaling the fence.

It was gathered that Nupe Natives of Lokoja Development Union were planning to host the 2nd Edition of Nupe Natives end of the year event, tagged: “Lokoja ’24 Nupe Cultural Fiesta”, on Dec. 21, 2024, before the incident occurred.

The event was, however, aborted due to the unfortunate attack, even when many Nupe natives from neighbouring states had arrived on the eve of the event.

Maduka College Advert

Narrating his ordeal to our correspondent who visited the scene on Monday, the monarch said: “It was around 1 am at night that I had a big bang on my door and I woke up to check through the window, wondering what could have happened.

“Then, I suddenly saw wildfire coming out of my car as it had been set ablaze by attackers. I knew it was an attack on the palace, and therefore I could not come out because of fear of being attacked. So, I managed to come out through the back door and scaled the fence to escape for my life.

“Thereafter, I came out to the road and realised that all my neighbours in the community were on the ground trying hard to quench the fire, but unfortunately the car was burnt, as well as other properties inside it.”

Dauda-Shelika appealed to the government and security agencies to investigate the cause of the attack and bring the perpetrators and their sponsors to justice.

He, however, appealed to the Nupe natives in Lokoja, to avoid any form of reprisal but continue to remain peaceful, and law-abiding and allow government and security agencies to conduct thorough investigations on the attack.

“We are appealing to His Excellency, Alhaji Ahmed Usman Ododo, and security agencies to please use their good offices to investigate this unfortunate incident and bring to justice whoever is concerned whether directly or indirectly.

“We also want the government to kindly visit our issues by recognising and grading the stool of Etsu Lokoja which had been in existence before colonisation. By officially recognising and grading the Etsu Lokoja stool, we know everything will be laid to rest because that is the power of the government.

“If the government remain silent and looks away, it leaves the door open for this kind of thing to happen. And as a people, we will not want to see such things continue to happen. I urge my people to remain as peaceful and law-abiding as we have always been because this incident has drawn the attention of the government to our issue,” Dauda-Sheika added.

He noted that the Executive Chairman of Lokoja LGA and his security apparatus came for an on-the-spot assessment that Saturday morning as well as the Police, DSS and NSCDC.

He added, “The DPO, ‘A’ Division was also here with his men upon hearing the incident to ascertain what actually happened. They all condemned the ugly incident in strong terms. We have also been invited to the Police station and we have written our statement.

“Nupe people are law-abiding and we are not known for violence. Nobody in Lokoja will classify Nupe people as violent and lawbreakers, no! We like accommodating everyone. And that is why other tribes like marrying our daughters.”

Speaking on the possible cause of the attack, Dauda-Sheika said, “I think it has to be said as it should be said; Lokoja is traditionally Nupe and we were planning to have the annual Nupe Cultural Fiesta that we had last year.

Related News
Kogi undergrad arrested for kidnapping, killing female colleague
BREAKING: Tribunal upholds Ododo Kogi gov polls winner
14 abducted Kogi varsity students rescued – Police
“That was why we sent out letters of invitation to all the relevant stakeholders including the media, and security agencies such as the Police, NSCDC, and DSS, as well as extending invitations to all other ethnic groups in Lokoja such as the Ebira, Yoruba, Oworo, Igala, Igbo communities to come and celebrate with us and our culture.

“We also extended the invitation to Maigari of Lokoja being the Chairman of Lokoja Local Government Traditional Council, to come and be the Special Royal Father of the day. But to our amazement, rather than accepting our invitation, the Maigari faulted it, and wrote back to us, saying, ‘Our letter lacks royal courtesy’ because we didn’t include the Chairman, Lokoja Traditional Council in our letter.

“The Maigari also went ahead in his letter to say that there is nothing like ‘Etsu Lokoja’. So, we wonder how will you say there is no Etsu Lokoja when we have existed even before the colonialists came, and we have our own way of administering ourselves abinitio.

“We were the earlier settlers here, and it has always been Etsu Lokoja before the colonialists came. In an attempt to set up their own thing, the colonialists put together this arrangement, and today we have a Maigari. But we have no problem with that at all because we have lived together peacefully for many years”, he said.

He stressed that the government was aware of the efforts and structures that the leadership of Nupe Natives in Lokoja had put in place to facilitate the government’s recognition of the Etsu Lokoja stool, to be able to administer themselves freely as an ethnic group.

He added, “So, the aborted cultural fiesta was never a coronation ceremony as it was being interpreted in some quarters, but a cultural celebration because the issue of coronation is very mundane. The most important thing for us is the installation of Etsu Lokoja which we did on January 23, 2024. We further did a public reenactment of that installation again on July 27, 2024, on the mountain which was the root of Lokoja, and will send a letter of reminder to the government on the need to recognize and grade Etsu stool.

“We also have a compendium of all our activities that we have done which was also sent to the State Government as well as all the security agencies. We are making sure as law-abiding people to follow principles and due process because we are not violent but very intelligent and developers that add value when we have the freedom to do so. The government has identified Lokoja as a Cosmopolitan city and that is why they have chosen to identify, recognize and grade certain ethnic groups including the Ohi Anebira of Lokoja, Onu Igala of Lokoja, Oba Yoruba of Lokoja, Maigari Lokoja for Housa, as well as Etsu Lokoja.

“So, the Nupe people deserve to be recognised and have a graded stool of Etsu Lokoja which had been in existence long before the colonialists came. This is to ensure fairness, equity and justice so that we can always have confidence in the actions of the government, and we want to always participate in the development of the land.

“We are not happy that we are sidetracked; we want to be part of the players because we were one of the early settlers but we are not in the scheme of things. We want to be included because we do not have another home, Lokoja is our home and we have nowhere to go like others. What happens to our children and unborn generations if we refuse to get things right now,” Dauda-Shelika said.

Also speaking, the National President, Nupe Natives of Lokoja Union, Alh. Abubakar Ndashite, said the event scheduled for Saturday, December 21, was a celebration of Nupe Cultural heritage and not any form of coronation as being insinuated from some quarters.

He expressed his displeasure over the aborted cultural event, noting that the union had expended so much of it, and urged the government to bring perpetrators to book.

When our correspondent visited the palace, the police officer declined to make comments as he claimed not to have been authorised to speak on the matter.

Efforts to get the state police command to react proved abortive as the public relations officer, SP William Aya, could not be reached.

News

Atiku breaks silence on FBI’s refusal to make Tinubu records public

Published

on

‘Who is in charge of Nigeria presently?’, Atiku queries Tinubu, Shettima’s absence
Atiku and Tinubu
Spread the love

Presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Atiku Abubakar, has reacted to the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation’s refusal to publicly release certain records relating to President Bola Tinubu, arguing that citing “danger to lives” cannot justify withholding potentially disclosable information from public scrutiny.

The FBI had filed a motion seeking permission to submit ex parte and in camera declarations explaining why it withheld some investigative records concerning allegations of drug trafficking involving Tinubu.

In an application dated August 20, the agency told the US District Court for the District of Columbia that it could not publicly disclose all the reasons for withholding certain records, hence its request to make the declarations privately before the court.

Reacting in a statement issued on Saturday in Abuja by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, Atiku questioned the FBI’s justification for secrecy, arguing that Nigerians were already bearing the consequences of the government’s economic policies.

“The FBI says disclosure could endanger lives. Which lives? Nigerians are already dying,” he said.

Maduka College Advert

Atiku linked the hardship to the removal of fuel subsidy, arguing that the policy had triggered increases in transportation costs, food prices and production expenses while putting pressure on jobs and household incomes.

“Fuel affects transportation. Transportation affects food prices. Energy affects production. Production affects jobs. All of them determine whether an ordinary Nigerian family can survive until the end of the month,” he said.

The former Vice President also reiterated his pledge to reverse the fuel subsidy removal if elected, describing his proposed approach as one that would be accountable and protected against abuse.

On the FBI records, Atiku said he was not demanding the release of sensitive information that could compromise investigations, including the identities of undercover agents, confidential sources or investigative techniques.

“Protect your agents. Protect your sources. Protect legitimate investigative methods. Redact whatever American law genuinely requires you to redact. But do not stretch those protections until they become a bulletproof vest for Tinubu,” he said.

Atiku described his position as a democratic appeal rather than an attempt to interfere in Nigeria’s internal affairs, insisting that Nigerians had a right to know the background and character of the person leading the country. (Saturday Tribune)

Continue Reading

News

Four family members, dog die after eating Amala meal in Kogi

Published

on

Amala meal
Spread the love

Four members of the same family have reportedly died after consuming amala in Ihima, Okehi Local Government Area of Kogi State.

The family’s dog was also reported to have died after consuming the same food.

Following the incident, the Kogi State Government has ordered an immediate investigation into the circumstances surrounding the deaths.

The state Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Fanwo, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday, saying the Governor of Kogi State, Ahmed Ododo, had directed the Commissioner for Health to commence a comprehensive investigation into the incident.

“The Chief Servant is deeply concerned by this tragic incident and has directed the Commissioner for Health to immediately investigate the circumstances surrounding the deaths, with particular attention to the possibility of food poisoning or food contamination.

Maduka College Advert

“The investigation must establish the facts and determine whether the food consumed by the deceased was contaminated or whether any other medical or environmental factor contributed to the deaths.

“Relevant samples and available evidence should be properly examined in accordance with established public health procedures,” Fanwo quoted the governor as directing.

Fanwo said the state government was also concerned by reports that the family’s dog died after consuming the same food, adding that the development would form part of the investigation.

He said the governor had directed the Ministry of Health to work with relevant agencies and stakeholders to ensure that the investigation was thorough and that appropriate public health measures were taken based on its findings.

“The government urges members of the public to remain calm and avoid drawing conclusions about the cause of the deaths until the investigation is concluded and the facts are established by the relevant authorities,” the commissioner said.

Fanwo said the governor commiserated with the bereaved family and the people of Ihima over the incident, praying that God would grant the family the strength and comfort to bear the loss.

He assured the people of Kogi State that the government would make further information available as soon as verified facts emerge from the investigation.

Continue Reading

News

1,844 killed in South-East in two years — Amnesty International reports

Published

on

Spread the love

…Demands probe into alleged rights abuse 

Amnesty International has re-launched two reports documenting alleged human rights violations in the South-East and called on governments and security agencies to end impunity, unlawful abductions, torture and killings.

The reports, “A Decade of Impunity: Attacks and Unlawful Killings in South-East Nigeria” and “Tiger Base of Atrocities: Human Rights Violations by Nigeria Police Anti-Kidnapping Unit in Owerri,” were unveiled in Umuahia on Wednesday.

Benedicta Ofili, Finance and Office Manager at Amnesty International Nigeria, said the organisation documented at least 1,844 deaths between 2021 and mid-2023 involving non-state armed groups, state-backed outfits and security operations.

Ofili also highlighted allegations of arbitrary detention, enforced disappearances, extortion and deaths in custody, particularly at the Anti-Kidnapping Unit popularly known as Tiger Base in Imo State.

She said Amnesty interviewed 23 former detainees, including 14 women, and recorded cases of torture and poor detention conditions.

Maduka College Advert

Three of those interviewed reportedly died after detention.

The organisation said insecurity has caused displacement, disruption of education, loss of livelihoods and restrictions on movement due to sit-at-home orders.

Amnesty demanded independent investigations, prosecution of perpetrators, reparations for victims, and stronger accountability by state and federal authorities.

The presentation was followed by emotional testimonies from tearful relatives of persons allegedly abducted by security operatives as they chorused, “we don’t know where they are.”

Miriam Onyema, weeping, said her husband, Kingsley Chinedu, was arrested on April 25, 2021, at Hospital Junction, Imo State, and labelled an IPOB member. She said all efforts to locate him failed.

Esther Chinedu told the gathering that her husband, Pastor Godspower Chinedu, was arrested in 2022 and has not been seen since despite repeated searches at police detention facilities.

Caroline Chukwuma said her husband, Chukwuma Nwokike, was allegedly abducted in 2021 at St. Paul Junction, Aba, and detained at CPS Aba. She said lawyers were denied access before he was allegedly transferred to Abuja.

Chinwendu Chidiebere said her husband, Chidiebere Ekwe, was arrested at his workshop in Aba on June 22, 2021, and taken to CPS Aba where the family was denied access.

Nicolas Ejekwu, an elderly man, tearfully recounted how soldiers arrested his sons, Obinna and Onyebuchi, at home. He said he was later told they were tortured and killed, with their bodies deposited at FMC Umuahia mortuary.

He added that over 50 bodies of youths allegedly killed by security agencies on suspicion of IPOB membership were found at the mortuary.

Cecilia Nmaoche said her son, Christian Ifeanyi, was allegedly abducted in 2022 and has not been seen or heard from since.

The families appealed to Amnesty and the government to help locate their loved ones and ensure those arrested are charged to court instead of being detained indefinitely.

The Attorney General of Abia, represented by Chinenye Onyemanonu, said the state has zero tolerance for abuses and forwards complaints to the Citizens’ Rights Department.

He cited a case where a family detained for six months was rescued.

Human rights activist Samuel Agwu urged rights groups to ensure victims get justice and legal representation, calling for an end to what he described as a culture of impunity in the region. (Arise News)

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert