Connect with us

News

Deputy police commissioner commits suicide in Oyo

Published

on

Deputy police commissioner commits suicide in Oyo
DCP Gbolahan Oyedemi
A Deputy Commissioner of Police serving with the Force Criminal and Investigation Department, Alagbon, Lagos State, Gbolahan Oyedemi, on Monday, reportedly committed suicide in his private house in his hometown, Ogbomoso, Oyo State.

Oyedemi was the Aide de Camp to the late former Governor of the state, Adebayo Alao-Akala, during his 11-month tenure as defacto governor in 2006.

Deputy police commissioner commits suicide in Oyo

DCP Gbolahan Oyedemi

A source close to the family told our correspondent on the telephone on Tuesday in Ibadan, the state capital, that Oyedemi, who normally visited his hometown during the Easter celebrations, told his aides at the weekend to go to their various towns to celebrate with their family members.

The source said, “Yes, he committed suicide. His body was found hanging in his house yesterday (Monday). He stays alone, and he normally comes home for Easter celebrations.

“This time, he told his aides to go and celebrate with their family members in their various homes. Only God knows what could have prompted him to commit suicide.”

All efforts to get the reaction of the state Police Public Relations Officer, Adewale Osifeso, were unsuccessful, as his mobile number was unreachable.

However, when contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer of FCID, Alagbon, DSP Eguaoje Funmilayo, confirmed Oyedemi’s death.

Funmilayo further said the circumstances surrounding his death were still sketchy.

“No one can tell specifically what the cause of his death is until an investigation is carried out. There is no official statement from the Inspector General of Police yet.

“So, I won’t be able to tell you anything about it for now. No official statement is approved by the IG,” she added. (PUNCH)

Advertisement
Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Enugu SUBEB boss refutes alleged unjust dismissal of teachers, says Board won't condone misconduct, truancy

News

We’re not aware of Ganduje’s suspension – Kano APC Chairman

Published

on

Ganduje, wife, son to be arraigned before Kano court April 17
APC National Chairman and former Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje

The Ganduje ward executives of the All Progressive Congress (APC) in Kano State, have denied the reported suspension of APC National Chairman, Dr Abdullahi-Umar Ganduje.

The ward executives made the denial while briefing journalist at the APC State Secretariat, on Monday in Kano.

According to the ward Chairman, Malam Ahmad Ganduje, those purported to have announced the suspension were not members of the party.

He said they were solemnly behind the APC national chairman and have confidence in his style of leadership.

The ward chairman added that they had passed a vote of confidence on Ganduje, and urged all party members in the ward and across the state to remain calm and law abiding.

In his remarks, the APC Chairman, Dawakin Tofa Local Government Area, Alhaji Inusa Dawanau, said the party will take legal action against those the “impersonators”, who announced Ganduje’s suspension.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that, Malam Haladu Gwanjo, who claimed to be the Legal Adviser of APC in Ganduje Ward, had earlier announced the purported suspension of party’s national chairman.
Gwanjo, who cited alleged corruption and other vices as reasons for the suspension, said that the decision was taken by nine executive members of party in Ganduje ward.(NAN)

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Peter Odili pronounces Gov Fubara as Rivers PDP political leader, dumps Wike
Continue Reading

News

Over 1,000 kidnapped victims so far rescued without ransom — FG

Published

on

Over 1,000 kidnapped victims so far rescued without ransom — FG

THE National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, on Monday, said the President Bola Tinubu-led Federal Government has so far rescued over 1,000 kidnap victims without paying a ransom.

Ribadu said this when he received 22 students and staff of the Federal University of Gusau, Zamfara State, rescued on Sunday.

The bandits had, on September 22, 2023, invaded the institution and abducted over 30 students and members of staff.

The Deputy Governor of Zamfara State, Mani Mummuni, who was at the university to sympathise with the families and the school authorities over the incident, called on security agencies to hasten the rescue of the kidnapped students.

In a press statement, the spokesperson for the Zamfara State Police Command, Yazid Abubakar, assured that the command would ensure the rescue of all the kidnapped students, as it had deployed an additional tactical team for search-and-rescue operations.

The police noted that “On September 22, 2023, at about 0250hrs, suspected bandits, riding on about 50 motorcycles, armed with sophisticated weapons, invaded three students’ rented apartments in Sabon Gida Village near the Federal University, Gusau and kidnapped an unspecified number of students, taking them to an unknown destination.”

Seven of the students were rescued while two escaped, leaving 22 others in captivity.

On Sunday, the 22, comprising 15 students and seven workers of the university, were rescued in an exercise coordinated by the National Counter-Terrorism Centre.

Advertisement

Speaking while receiving the students in Abuja, the NSA appreciated the security operatives for rescuing the students “without losing anyone of them or paying any ransom.”

SEE ALSO:  I’m not leaving Labour Party, says Obi

He said, “On behalf of the President, I thank all those involved in the successful rescue of the victims without losing anyone of them or paying any ransom.

“This is yet again a success story in our efforts to free all those being unlawfully held in captivity.

“We have so far released over a thousand such victims without noise and with complete respect to their privacy and safety.

“This occasion marks a final juncture in a series of rescues we have undertaken in the last few months, to free victims of recent cases of mass abductions.

“Going forward, we are strengthening law enforcement and security measures to prevent these abductions and strengthen physical security across vulnerable communities.”

Ribadu urged the students and university workers not to allow their experience to break them, but should rather make them stronger.”

In March, the military rescued 137 students kidnapped from Kaduna State, with the Federal Government saying no ransom was paid, despite that the bandits demanded N1bn.

Advertisement

The NSA also thanked the parents of the rescued victims for their patience and understanding during the period and commended security agencies for their sacrifices.

Earlier, the National Coordinator, NCTC, Maj-Gen Adamu Laka (retd.), said search and rescue operations conducted by security agencies led to the release of the students in three batches.

He said, “Search and rescue was conducted by a combined team of law enforcement agencies and the abductees were subsequently released in three batches, after 207 days in captivity.

“The first batch was rescued on March 15 the second batch was rescued on April 12 and the last batch rescued on April 14.

SEE ALSO:  Atiku faults electricity tariff hike, says it will create more difficulties for Nigerians 

“All the abductees were profiled at NCTC while the ONSA Medical Team examined them and administered minor treatments on the bruises sustained by three of them.

“Four of them were diagnosed with malaria and are being treated. None of the females was molested and all the females tested negative for pregnancy test.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Six family members die in Gombe road crash, Gov mourns

Published

on

Six family members die in Gombe road crash, Gov mourns
• Gombe State Governor, Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya
No fewer than six family members of the Maidalan Gombe, Ahmad Shehu, have reportedly died in a road crash.

It was reported that the deceased passed on in an accident along Azare- Gombe Road on Sunday.

Conveying Governor Muhammadu Yahaya’s condolence in a press statement on Monday, Director-General Press Affairs Ismaila Misilli, said the entire Gombe community is deeply affected by the sad event.

Yahaya, who attended the funeral prayers alongside the Emir of Gombe, Abubakar Shehu-Abubakar III and hundreds of other sympathisers, noted that the loss of family members in such a tragic manner is quite devastating.

The statement partly read, “Our heartfelt condolences to Maidalan Gombe and the entire bereaved family members during this incredibly difficult time. The loss of six family members in such a tragic road accident is not only a profound loss to your family but it also deeply affects the entire Gombe people.

“Words cannot adequately express the sorrow felt for the immense grief you and your loved ones are experiencing. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers as you pass through this heartbreaking time.”

While praying for the repose of souls Yahaya added, “Almighty Allah to forgive the shortcomings of the deceased and reward their good deeds with Aljannat Firdaus.”

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Peter Odili pronounces Gov Fubara as Rivers PDP political leader, dumps Wike
Continue Reading

Trending