Connect with us

News

WAEC blacklists Abia schools over exam malpractice

Published

on

WAEC blacklists Abia schools over exam malpractice
Spread the love
The West African Examination Council (WAEC) has delisted some secondary schools in Abia state from participating in the regional body’s exams for involving in examination malpractice.Commissioner for Education, Professor Uche Eme Uche, who disclosed this during a press briefing in Umuahia, the state capital, said that the state had just been informed by the exam body about the ugly development.
Although she failed to disclose the affected schools, the commissioner stated that most of the schools affected were private schools.

The commissioner, who frowned at any act capable of tarnishing the image of the state, said the operational licences of the affected schools would be withdrawn as a deterrent to others.

She explained that the state supported the action by WAEC as it would help halt the bastardization and lowering of academic standards in schools by some dubious operators.

Professor Uche said that the state had previously shut down some of the affected schools due to their unwholesome practices, regretting that instead of heeding the warnings, they continued to cut corners.

Speaking earlier, the commissioner for information, Prince Okey Kanu, disclosed that the governor of the state, Dr. Alex had approved the immediate renovation of 170 primary and 51 public secondary schools across the state.

He said ten primary and three secondary schools would be selected from each of the 17 Local Government Areas in the state.

The renovation, according to him, is to give a facelift to public schools in the state and make them conducive and attractive for learning.

SEE ALSO:  Living with Enemy: How blood-thirsty house helps kill bosses in cold blood

He explained that this was in addition to the six model schools currently being established in the three senatorial districts.

Advertisement

The government spokesman further disclosed that the governor had also approved the disbursement of N62 million in bursaries to Abia law undergraduates in different tertiary institutions across the country.

This, he said, was to assist them following the increase in their fees and cost of training amid the biting economic hardship.

On the schools’ renovation, the commissioner for education said each of the benefiting schools would have staff quarters, a Head teacher’ house, and a caretaker’s house to ensure water-tight security of the school property.

The gesture, according to her, is a demonstration of the high premium that the Otti-led administration attaches to education as the cornerstone of any society.

She said that the state government had resolved to revive and promote education in the state, adding that the renovation will be done in phases until all public schools in the state have received a facelift.

Advertisements
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Peter Obi should be held responsible for anarchy arising from August 1 hunger protest – Presidency

Published

on

Bayo Onanuga
Spread the love

Bayo Onanuga, a senior to President Bola Tinubu, has alleged that supporters Mr Peter Obi, former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, LP, are planning mayhem in Nigeria.

Onanuga claimed that the proposed nationwide protests were being planned by Obi’s supporters, whom he described as failed presidential candidate.

According to him, Obi should be held responsible for whatever crisis that would emanate from the action.

In a post on his X handle on Saturday, Onanuga said the proposed protest planners are also the same people who were instigated by the incarcerated IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu to launch the destructive ENDSARS protest in Nigeria in October 2020.

He wrote: “REVEALED: Peter Obi’s supporters are the people planning mayhem in Nigeria: Obi should be held responsible for anarchy

“Don’t be fooled: the malcontents planning to stage nationwide protests are supporters of Peter Obi, the failed presidential candidate of the Labour Party. And he should be held responsible for whatever crisis emanates from the action.

“The protest planners are also the same people who were instigated by IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu to launch the destructive ENDSARS protest in Nigeria in October 2020. ENDSARS began as a genuine protest by youths against the Police Special Anti-Robbery Squad, notorious for its high-handedness. IPOB members planning to extricate the South East region from Nigeria infiltrated the protest and hijacked it for their own agenda. Lagos still bears the scar of the malicious destruction by IPOB elements until today.

“Two years after ENDSARS, the IPOB and the gullible innocents joined the Labour Party in 2022 to support Peter Obi, a sympathiser of their cause.

Advertisement

They are the people spreading the hashtags ‘EndBadGovernance’, ‘Tinubu Must Go,’ and ‘Revolution2024’. They are not democrats but anarchists. They are attempting to call out our people via propaganda because their Messiah, Peter Obi, failed to win the Presidency in the 2023 election. As bad losers, they don’t have the patience to wait for another election in 2027; they would rather destabilise Nigeria by staging a civilian coup against President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Nigerian activist assassinated in his home after surviving 9 years on death row
Continue Reading

News

Two brothers drown in FCT River

Published

on

Two brothers drown in FCT River
•The river behind the village
Spread the love
Two brothers, Joshua and Samson, have drowned in a river in Robukya community in Kwali Ward in Kuje Area Council of the FCT.

A relation of the deceased, Musa Abednego, who confirmed the incident to our reporter on Thursday, said it happened on Tuesday around 9am while they were crossing the river.

He said the brothers, Joshua and Samson, were between the ages of nine and 12 and that they were on their way to the farm when the incident happened.

He explained that the victims got drowned following a heavy rainfall which made the river to overflow.

He said, “Their father asked them to hold on after the rain subsided. Unfortunately, they left home to the farm without him knowing.”

Abednego said their corpses were recovered on Wednesday around 4pm through the help of some fishermen, adding they had been buried.

The spokeswoman of the FCT Police Command, SP Josephine Adeh, was yet to speak on the incident.                                              Daily Trust

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Tinubu congratulates UK’s new PM, Keir Starmer, woos him for mutual bilateral interest
Continue Reading

News

CBN intervenes in foreign exchange market

Published

on

CBN intervenes in foreign exchange market
Central Bank of Nigeria
Spread the love
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has started selling foreign exchange on a regular basis through Authorised Dealer Banks and licensed Bureaux De Change (BDCs) as a response to the current fluctuations in the foreign exchange market.

These fluctuations are primarily caused by the demand pressure coming from corporate entities and the seasonal increase typical during the summer period.

By implementing regular sales of foreign exchange, the CBN aims to stabilise the market and ensure smoother transactions for both businesses and individuals involved in foreign exchange activities.

Director, Financial Markets Department of the CBN Dr Omolara Omotunde Duke in a statement on Friday night assured the public of the bank’s commitment to address the demand pressure and stabilize the foreign exchange market.

Highlighting recent transactions, the CBN disclosed that it sold a total sum of US$106,500,000.00 to 29 authorized dealer banks on Thursday, July 18 and Friday, July 19, 2024.

These transactions took place within an exchange rate range of N1,498.00/US$1 to N1,530.00/US$1. Additionally, the CBN purchased US$9,500,000 (Nine Million and Five Hundred Thousand Dollars) from four authorized dealer banks at rates between N1,510.00/US$1 and N1,550.00/US$1. All these transactions are marked for settlement on July 19, 2024.

The Central Bank also stated its commitment to closely monitor compliance with existing trading rules and regulations by authorized dealer banks. This is seen as an effort to promote ethical conduct and ensure stability in the foreign exchange market.

The general public was also advised to direct their foreign exchange demands to their respective banks and BDC operators, adhering to prevailing market regulations.

SEE ALSO:  Tinubu congratulates UK’s new PM, Keir Starmer, woos him for mutual bilateral interest

With the regular sale of foreign exchange and ongoing monitoring of trading practices, the CBN aims to meet demand pressure, foster stability, and sustain a well-functioning foreign exchange market.

Advertisement
Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending