Connect with us

Entertainment

Controversial comedian Jerry Sadowitz’s Edinburgh Fringe show cancelled after he ‘got his penis out on stage and made indefensible jokes’

Published

on

Jerry Sadowitz, 60, was scheduled to play two nights at The Pleasance venue

A controversial comedian has been cancelled by an Edinburgh Fringe venue after he ‘got his penis out on stage’ and made ‘indefensible jokes’ on his opening night.

Jerry Sadowitz, 60, who also performs magic, was scheduled to play at The Pleasance at the Edinburgh International Conference Centre on Friday and Saturday.

But the American-born Scot took to social media to reveal that his second night would not be going ahead, before the venue confirmed that it had been pulled because his material ‘does not align with our values.’

One female audience member claimed he got his penis out in front of a woman on the front row and used a racial slur to describe Rishi Sunak, the Scottish Sun reported.

It was not clear if the allegedly exposed genitals were a prop.

She told the paper: ‘I was at the show. He called Rishi Sunak a ‘p***’; said the economy was awful because it is run by ‘blacks and women’.

‘He got his penis out to a woman in the front row. The problem was not the audience – I knew he was an acquired taste. It was his indefensible content’.

Advertisement

The Pleasance has so far refused to confirm what part of the act was deemed offensive, but it said in a statement that ‘opinions such as those displayed by Sadowitz are not acceptable.’

MailOnline has contacted Sadowitz for comment.

Some furious fans said bosses already knew he was controversial, as the original listing carried a warning which read: ‘This show contains strong language and themes some may find distressing.’

SEE ALSO:  My wife got pregnant for another man — Harrysong alleges

A few took to Twitter to brand The Pleasance ‘pathetic’, while others said the cancellation amounted to ‘censorship’.

One fan said she thoroughly enjoyed the set but that about ’20 lefties’ had walked out mid-way through.

Revealing the decision, Sadowitz said on Twitter: ‘Did a show last night, 75 mins, thought it went well. Didn’t see any walkouts.

‘Today I’m told my show’s been cancelled. Great stuff. I’m truly sorry for everyone who travelled to see the show tonight.’

The Pleasance Theatre Trust said the second performance had been cancelled ‘with immediate effect’.

Advertisement

t said in a statement: ‘Opinions such as those displayed on stage by Sadowitz are not acceptable and The Pleasance are not prepared to be associated with such material.’

In a recent promo video, Sadowitz held up a bird puppet as he told would-be patrons what they could expect.

Referring to himself, Sadowitz said: ‘He’s gonna be funny. He’s gonna be rude. He’s gonna do magic tricks.

‘He’s gonna do impressions. He’s gonna get his d*** out.

‘He’s gonna do every f****** thing, so make sure you go and see him.’

A further show description vowed he would return with his ‘whacky impressions of Greta Thunberg, Frankie Boyle and deep vein thrombosis’.

Jerry Sadowitz announces his show’s cancellation on Twitter, in a move branded ‘pathetic’ and ‘depressing’ by his fans 

It said he ‘also promises to do less hate-fuelled swearing and focus more on faux liberal pish in order to appeal to the middle class and their disposable income and personalities’.

Advertisement

He added: ‘Please note that I might just do card tricks and say nothing for a whole hour or I might just do the usual ‘screaming fascist’ schtick. Or both.

SEE ALSO:  Why I was buried alive for 24 hours - Young C

‘Patrons may wish to drink alcohol pre-show to avoid boredom, embarrassment and guilt.’

Announcing the show’s cancellation, The Pleasance director, Anthony Alderson, added: ‘The Pleasance is a venue that champions freedom of speech and we do not censor comedians’ material.

‘While we acknowledge that Jerry Sadowitz has often been controversial, the material presented at his first show is not acceptable and does not align with our values.

‘This type of material has no place on the festival and the Pleasance will not be presenting his second and final show.’

Refunds will be issued to those who bought tickets to the Saturday show, the venue said.

Advertisements
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

My wife got pregnant for another man — Harrysong alleges

Published

on

My wife got pregnant for another man — Harrysong alleges

Popular Nigerian singer, Harrysong has accused Alexer Perez, his estranged wife, of infidelity during their marriage.

Recall their marriage has been going through some crisis after an alleged WhatsApp chat between them surfaced on social media.

The alleged chat prompted a statement from Harrysong.

The singer, in the statement, admitted that they were going through a marital crisis while asking the public to respect his family’s privacy.

Alexer also opened up about their marital issues, alleging verbal and physical abuse by Harrysong.

In an Instagram live on Saturday, the singer claimed that Alexer got pregnant for another man while still married to him.

He said that he had stopped sleeping with her “for almost a year” when she announced her pregnancy.

“My ex-wife’s mother just married her seventh or sixth husband yet she is still cheating in that marriage. That is the kind of family I married into,” he said.

Advertisement

“My wife came to inform me that she was pregnant when I stopped sleeping with her for almost a year. She was pregnant for another man in my marriage.

“The only thing I did was to ask her to return to her family. I needed time to get to know her because I didn’t know who she really is. I married her because people said she was a loyal, humble and God-fearing Christian.” (Vanguard)

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  My wife got pregnant for another man — Harrysong alleges
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Why I was buried alive for 24 hours – Young C

Published

on

Why I was buried alive for 24 hours - Young C
Goodness Chijioke O a.k.a Young C Moneygod

Goodness Chijioke O, popularly known as Young C Moneygod, has explained why he chose to be buried alive for 24 hours

In an interview with The Nation, Young C, a History and International Studies graduate from Imo State University, revealed that he undertook the challenge to create content for his YouTube channel, “Young C Entertainment.”

He explained that his goal was to grow his platform and earn a living through legitimate means, rather than committing fraud or other criminal activities.

As a YouTuber, songwriter, and musician, Young C said he aimed to monetize his content once the video was uploaded.

He said: “First I did it for content creation for one of my platforms “Young C Entertainment” on YouTube. To grow my platform with the Attention that will be gotten from the challenge. I did it to earn a living instead of indulging in fraud and other criminal activities hence I was going to make some money from my platforms when I uploaded the video.

“I did it to overcome fear, telling myself I could do whatever I wanted even if people tried to discourage me. I created awareness so that a record-breaking platform can be established in Africa.”

Regarding people’s criticisms, he said he views their comments as motivation to do more and grow, believing they will ultimately become his fans.

He said: “I pay deaf ears to those who criticize me because people always criticize what they don’t understand, and there is nothing you will do on earth that people won’t criticize you. I see their comments as motivation to do more and grow more so in the end they will turn my fans.”

Advertisement

Speaking on how he was able to cope while in the coffin, Young C said he had some snacks as food and some water despite running out of water before the challenge was over.

SEE ALSO:  My wife got pregnant for another man — Harrysong alleges

He stated: “Actually I had some snacks as food and also some water, even if I ran out of water before the challenge was over which made the challenge difficult for me. The greatest challenge I had under the ground was a lot of heat, hence there was no ventilation.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Veteran actress, ‘Ovularia’ of The New Masquerade is dead

Published

on

• Veteran actress, Elizabeth Evoeme

Veteran actress, Madam Elizabeth Evoeme, popularly known as Ovularia in the 80s TV sitcom, called ‘The New Masquerade’, is dead.

Evoeme died at the age of 81.

Her death came four and a half years after her rumoured death on November 5, 2019.

Her death was announced in a statement by her family.

According to the statement, the actress died in Port Harcourt, Rivers State capital.

• The New Masquerade crew

The statement read, “Friends, fans, colleagues, the family of the legendary actress, Elizabeth Lizzy ‘Ovularia’ Evoeme, would like to notify the public, all those who loved her and her work in ‘The new Masquerade,’ of her passing.

“Elizabeth ‘Ovularia’ Evoeme will be dearly missed and was extremely loved by her family and also by you, her fans.

“We thank you all for your support and for respecting our privacy at this time. God bless you all and may our dear Elizabeth ‘Ovularia’ Evoeme rest in perfect peace, now and always.”

However, details of her death were not revealed.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, on November 5, 2019, Evoeme was rumoured to be dead.

After the rumour of her passing then, Chika Okpala, known for his portrayal of Chief Zebrudaya Okoroigwe Nwaogbe, also known as 4.30 in the sitcom, refuted the rumour.

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Why I was buried alive for 24 hours - Young C
Continue Reading

Trending