Connect with us

News

Bandits kill 33 in Kebbi community

Published

on

Gunmen kill Governor’s aide, wife during night raid
Spread the love

The Kebbi State Police Command has confirmed the killing of 33 persons following an attack by suspected bandits on Bui District in Arewa Local Government Area of the state.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, SP Bashir Usman, made this known in a statement issued on Friday in Birnin Kebbi.

Usman said the incident occurred on Wednesday when armed men, suspected to be Lakurawa militants, invaded the district with the intent to rustle cattle.

He said preliminary investigations indicated that the assailants were believed to have crossed into the area from Gudu Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

“During the attack, residents of Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal and Dan Mai Ago mobilised in response to the invasion.

“In the ensuing confrontation, 33 persons lost their lives,” he said.

Maduka College Advert

The police spokesman said the command, in collaboration with the military and other security agencies, had reinforced security presence in the affected communities.

According to him, additional personnel and operational assets have been deployed, while sustained area domination patrols are ongoing to restore normalcy and prevent further attacks.

He said the command had commiserated with the families of the victims and the entire Arewa community over the tragic incident.

Usman emphasised that incidents involving heavily armed criminal elements require coordinated security intervention.

He urged residents to always report suspicious movements and activities through established security channels.

“Members of the public are advised not to engage armed criminals directly, as such actions pose grave risks to lives and property,” he cautioned.

He added that targeted operations are ongoing to track down and apprehend the perpetrators, as well as strengthen early warning mechanisms in vulnerable communities across the state.

Reports said the  suspected terrorists had earlier wrote a letter to Utono community in Ngaski Local Government Area of Kebbi State, allegedly demanding N100 million before they would be allowed to enter the town to “preach.”

The threat comes amid growing security concerns in parts of Kebbi and neighbouring states, where armed groups have carried out deadly raids, kidnappings, and extortion in rural communities.

(NAN)

News

APC Enugu announces Senatorial primary results, Presents Certificates of Return to winners

Published

on

Enugu APC Chairman, Martin Chukwunweike
Spread the love

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Enugu State has concluded its Senatorial Primaries and announced the results across the three senatorial districts, with successful candidates receiving Certificates of Return amid calls for unity and party cohesion ahead of future elections.

The announcement ceremony, which was conducted in a peaceful atmosphere, brought together senatorial aspirants, members of the Senate Primary Committee, the Enugu State APC Working Committee, House of Representatives aspirants, state lawmakers, local government council chairmen, party stakeholders, and other dignitaries from across the state.

Addressing attendees at the event, Enugu State APC Chairman, Martin Chukwunweike, described the gathering as the formal conclusion of the senatorial primary process that commenced the previous day.

He said the Senate Primaries Committee had undertaken a detailed collation process to ensure transparency, credibility, and fairness.

He commended the committee for what he termed a professionally conducted exercise and expressed appreciation to Peter Mbah for providing what he described as an enabling atmosphere for a peaceful and successful primary election process.

Speaking during the event, Chairman of the Senate Primary Committee, Funkekeme Solomon, praised Governor Mbah for his leadership style and described the conduct of party members throughout the process as disciplined and mature.

Maduka College Advert

According to the committee chairman, results collated across wards and local government areas produced winners in the three senatorial districts.

For Enugu West Senatorial Zone, sole contestant Osita Ngwu secured 70,015 votes and emerged winner.

In Enugu East Senatorial Zone, with a total of 161,334 votes cast, Kelvin Chukwu polled 111,743 votes to defeat Hon. Nnaji Shalom Nwakegwu, who scored 482 votes.

For Enugu North Senatorial Zone, where 152,886 votes were recorded, Ikeje Asogwa emerged victorious with 125,089 votes, defeating Hon. Eze Chinazo F., Hon. Edith Ngozi Ugwuanyi, and Hon. Dr. Charles Ugwuanyi.

Following the announcement, the successful candidates were officially presented with Certificates of Return amid celebrations by party members and supporters.

Speaking on behalf of the victorious candidates, Senator Osita Ngwu expressed gratitude to Governor Peter Mbah and party leadership for ensuring a peaceful and seamless exercise.

He also thanked party executives and grassroots leaders across the state for their support and pledged continued commitment to the party’s ideals.

In his vote of thanks, APC State Publicity Secretary, Chief Hon. Uche Obute, commended Governor Mbah and members of the state working committee for their efforts toward sustaining peace, fairness, and unity within the party.

The event ended with renewed calls for sportsmanship and unity, as party leaders urged unsuccessful aspirants to support the party’s candidates and collective vision ahead of future electoral contests.

Continue Reading

News

Anambra denies introducing new burial law

Published

on

Law Mefor and Governor Soludo
Spread the love

The Anambra State Government has dismissed reports claiming Governor Charles Chukwuma Soludo signed a “new burial law” imposing restrictions, including a ban on the use of cows and goats during condolence visits, describing them as false and malicious.

The state Commissioner for Information and Value Reformation, Dr. Law Mefor, while clarifying the matter said that no new burial law had been passed by the Soludo administration.

“For the record: No new burial law has been passed by Governor Soludo’s administration. The subsisting Anambra Burial Law is the 2019 law signed by former Governor Willie Obiano,” Mefor said.

The government said the claims circulating on social media and other traditional media outlets were not contained in any section of the 2019 law. It described the assertion that cows and goats are banned at condolence visits as a fabrication intended to mislead the public and incite outrage.

Mefor faulted media organizations for publishing the report without verification, saying journalism demands accuracy, balance, and a duty to confirm claims before publication.

“It is disappointing and irresponsible that established media houses would abandon basic verification and become conduits for viral fake news,” Mefor said.

Maduka College Advert

The government urged the public to disregard the report and called on media organizations to uphold professional standards and avoid publishing unverified reports that could cause public disaffection.

Residents were advised to rely only on official communication channels of the Anambra State Government for accurate information on government policy.

Continue Reading

News

‘Some people told Tinubu I wanted to kill him, take over Power’, Says Vice President Shettima

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima
Spread the love

Vice President Kashim Shettima has revealed that some individuals from Borno State allegedly warned President Bola Tinubu against wearing traditional outfits he gave him during the 2023 presidential campaign, claiming the garments had been used to charm him and could lead to his death.

Shettima made the disclosure on Tuesday while speaking at the public presentation of former Head of State Yakubu Gowon’s autobiography, My Life of Duty and Allegiance, in Abuja, where he represented the President.

According to the Vice President, the incident happened shortly after the inauguration of the Tinubu administration in 2023.

He said he had travelled to Beijing, China, in October 2023 to represent Tinubu at the 3rd Belt and Road Initiative Forum held from October 16 to 18.

Shettima said that upon his return, Tinubu informed him that some people had visited him with claims that the traditional Borno attire Shettima supplied during the campaign had spiritual implications.

“When I came back from China, where I had represented him at the Belt and Road Initiative Conference, he said: ‘Sit down. Your people came to me and said I should stop wearing those dresses you gave me. They said I must have been charmed, and that I am going to die and he will become the president,’” Shettima recounted.

Maduka College Advert

He said Tinubu dismissed the allegation, noting that the claim did not make sense because both of them were only aspirants at the time the clothes were given to him.

According to Shettima, Tinubu told him: “Their story did not add up, because when you gave me those dresses, I was an aspirant. I wasn’t even the candidate. Neither were you the vice-presidential candidate.”

The Vice President added that Tinubu deliberately continued wearing the outfits for one week to dismiss the allegations.

“For one week, to prove to them that he is not fetish, he wore those dresses,” he said.

Shettima said the episode reflected what he described as growing suspicion within Nigeria’s political environment.

He compared the situation with an earlier account shared by the Sultan of Sokoto about how Gowon used to receive gallons of fura weekly from the Sultan’s family in Sokoto while serving as Head of State at Dodan Barracks in Lagos.

According to Shettima, Gowon accepted the gesture without suspicion, unlike the present climate of mistrust.

“Suspicion smears our relationships, and it ought not to be. We are essentially one people tied to a common destiny,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert