Connect with us
Maduka University Advert

News

Insecurity: Israel to support Nigeria through intelligence sharing – Envoy

Published

on

Michael Freeman Israeli ambassador to Nigeria, Michael Freeman
Spread the love

The Israeli Ambassador to Nigeria, Michael Freeman, has clarified that Israel’s proposed support for the protection of Christian communities in Nigeria is a collaborative effort based on intelligence sharing and cooperation with the Nigerian government.

Appearing in an interview with ARISE News on Monday, Freeman addressed the global reaction to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s recent announcement of an “eighth front” against radical Islamist violence.

He emphasised that the initiative is intended to support persecuted communities while fully respecting Nigeria’s national sovereignty.

“What Prime Minister Netanyahu said, and it was very clear, was that he wants to make sure that all those persecuted around the world, and he highlighted Christians around the world, not only in Nigeria, that it is important to do what Israel can,” Freeman stated.

“This is about working with Nigeria. It is not about working against Nigeria. It is working with them as a partner and as an ally.”

The Ambassador highlighted that the primary vehicle for this cooperation would be intelligence sharing, aimed at curbing violence affecting all Nigerians, not unilateral action.

Maduka College Advert

“He has emphasised the issue of intelligence sharing and working in that area, and certainly that is the area we’ll be looking to work with the Nigerian government to see where we can work together to stop the attacks against Christians, Muslims and all Nigerians.

“Our interest is to work with Nigeria to stop all the violence in this country. We would be led by the Nigerian government to where we can work and partner, because this is very much about working with an ally and doing things to tackle insecurity as a whole within the country,“ Freeman said.
When questioned on whether formal diplomatic channels had been opened with President Bola Tinubu’s administration following the Prime Minister’s speech, Freeman maintained a level of diplomatic discretion.

“Any communication behind the scenes will obviously remain behind the scenes. When you’re dealing with intelligence, it’s not something you talk about publicly, because that would undermine the entire purpose,” Freeman said.

The Ambassador also pushed back against suggestions that the move was a calculated play for broader geopolitical leverage.

He pointed to Israel’s internal record as evidence of their genuine commitment to religious freedom, saying, “Prime Minister Netanyahu spoke about Christians across the world, not only in Nigeria. And he highlighted the fact that Israel is the only country in the Middle East where the Christian population is growing, thriving and has complete freedom of worship.”

Netanyahu, in a recent announcement in Florida, declared a “new front” aimed at protecting Christian communities in the Middle East and Africa from what he described as growing global threats.

The PM said this after meeting with US President Donald Trump and other top officials, to discuss the situations in Gaza and the West Bank, as well as the simmering conflicts with Iran and the Hezbollah terror group in Lebanon, the Times of Israel reported.

Israel’s proposal comes amid reported U.S. airstrikes against terrorist groups in Northwest Nigeria on Christmas Day, in fulfilment of Trump’s military intervention promise to stop alleged Christian persecution in the country.

News

Ministers Tijani, Udeh, Zinox boss, Ekeh, others to attend Enugu Tech Festival 2026

Published

on

Spread the love
Minister of Communications, Innovations and Digital Economy, Dr Bosun Tijani; the Minister of Innovation, Science and Technology; Dr Kingsley  Udeh; and the Minister of Youth Development, Mr Ayodele Olawande will be attending the Enugu Tech Festival 2026.

The Commissioner for Innovation, Science and Technology, Dr Lawrence Ezeh, disclosed on Sunday that Gov. Peter Mbah, who is the Special Guest of Honour to the festival, would share the Enugu rapid growing tech-innovation and youth-tech-engagement experience and declare the event open.

The Texh festival is slated for  Feb. 24 to Feb.27 at the Enugu International Conference Centre.

Ezeh said that the Enugu Tech Festival 2026, which is also known as ETF 0.2, would feature other speakers and resource persons such as the Ambassador of the Kingdom of Sweden to Nigeria, Anna Westerholm; and Founder and Chairman of Zinox Group, Leo Stan Ekeh.

He said, “Others are: Chief Gossy Ukanwoke, Managing Director of Kingmakers;  Dr Kingsley Eze, CEO Tenece Group; Hakeem Adeniji-Adele, Deputy Managing Director eTranzact International PLC and Aminu Maida, Executive Vice Chairman Nigerian Communications Commission.

“The rest are: Ugochukwu Aronu, CEO of Xend Finance; Onyekachi Christian Oparah, Zoho Corporation for West Africa; Napa Onwusah, Managing Partner at B4B Partners; Kashifu Inuwa Abdullahi, Nigeria’s Chief Technology and Information Officer;  Chioma Ekeh, CEO TDAfrica and Chibuotu Amadi, Co-Founder and CEO, Paycrest.”

The commissioner said that speakers lined-up at ETF 0.2 represented diverse sectors shaping the future of technology, adding: “We will host technology executives, artificial intelligence specialists, fintech innovators, clean energy experts, digital policy leaders and investment partners.

‘There will be keynote speeches, high-level panel discussions, masterclasses and practical workshops focusing on artificial intelligence, agritech, healthtech, cybersecurity, renewable energy technology and digital infrastructure development,” he said.

Maduka College Advert

Ezeh said that the ETF themed: “Coal to Code: Energy in New Form,” reflects the current transformation from Coal City to Code City, where Enugu becomes hub of tech-innovation, tech-enterprise and renewable energy in West Africa.

He said that the ETF 0.2, which had been scheduled from Feb. 24 to Feb.27 at the Enugu International Conference Centre, would be witnessing more than 50,000 participants across the four-day event.

Ezeh said, “These will include startup founders, developers, venture capitalists, corporate technology leaders, academics, policymakers and students.

“Delegations from across Nigeria, other African countries and international innovation ecosystems have confirmed attendance. The scale of participation signals growing confidence in Enugu as a serious technology destination.”

The commissioner noted that the festival is driven by the bold vision of Gov. Peter Mbah, whose ambition is to transform Enugu State into a leading knowledge-based and digitally enabled economy.

“The governor has consistently emphasised that the future of our state lies in innovation, enterprise and youth empowerment. His administration is deeply committed to digitisation across government services, education reform, technology incubation and infrastructure modernisation.

“Through deliberate reforms and strategic investments, Enugu is building the foundations of a resilient digital economy capable of competing nationally and globally,” he said.

Ezeh said that one of the major wins of the festival is the scheduled three days of free and uninterrupted digital skills training (both physical and online) for more than 67,000 people.

He said, “Trainers from the United Kingdom, including partners from 1Goal Analytics, will deliver the sessions, with participants receiving foreign certification on completion.

“This initiative underscores our commitment to inclusivity — ensuring that young people, students, civil servants and entrepreneurs acquire practical skills in data analytics, software development, artificial intelligence and digital project management.”

Continue Reading

News

Young Innovators Win Big at Maiden Enugu Campus Hackathon

Published

on

Spread the love

…As Gov Mbah intensifies push for productivity-led economy_

Youth innovators at the weekend won big at the maiden edition of the state backed Enugu Campus Hackathon competition.

The Campus Hackathon is an innovation platform to consolidate the state’s place as a rising hub for youth-led digital enterprise and venture creation in line with the Enugu State Digital Transformation Strategy.

An elated Enugu Governor, Dr Peter Mbah who witnessed the grand finale described the campus hackathon as part of his administration’s bold innovation drives to move the state from a consumption-driven economy to a productivity-led economy.

Speaking during the grand finale, which held at the International Conference Centre, Enugu, Mbah described the youths as the heartbeat of knowledge-driven and digital economy.

In the main category of the hackathon, which was delivered in collaboration with Genesys Tech Hub, The Garage, and Capitis Global Ventures, Growdex, an AI-powered advertising automation platform that enables creators and businesses to create, publish, and optimize ads across multiple channels from a single dashboard, won the star prize of $5,000 in investment grant.

Maduka College Advert

Zaddy Express, a tech-enabled logistics and on-demand delivery platform delivering fast, reliable, last-mile solutions for individuals and businesses, came second and won $3,500 investment grant.

Linia Finance, a fintech platform providing accessible, data-driven credit and financial tools to Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises, MSMEs, and underserved individuals came third and got US$2,500 investment grant.

In the DeepTech category powered by the African DeepTech Foundation, Ambu Gynacare, a health-tech startup developing biodegradable sanitary pads made from banana fibers to combat menstrual poverty and reduce plastic waste emerged winner, taking home the sum of US$2,500 in investment grant.

According to the Special Adviser to the Governor on Digital Economy and MSMEs, Arinze Chilo-Offiah, the winners will in addition to the cash grants, undergo a six-month post-hackathon incubation programme with Genesys Tech Hub, valued at over US$10,000, where they are to gain structured mentorship, product refinement, investor readiness, and scaling support.

Chilo-Offiah, who doubles as the Director-General of the Enugu State SME Centre, said the focus of the hackathon on universities was deliberate.

“This is an incubation programme that goes to the heart of the startup ecosystem, which is our universities. That is where innovation starts,” he said

He explained that the top 10 teams emerged for the finale after campus rounds and a 10-day intensive boot camp.

Meanwhile, Governor Mbah said the Enugu Campus Hackathon was designed to identify and accelerate high-potential technology talents across tertiary institutions in the state.

He added that Hackathon reflects his administration’s deliberate strategy to build a modern, innovation-driven economy anchored on enterprise, technology and private-sector growth.

The governor , who was represented by the Secretary to the Enugu State Government, Prof. Chidiebere Onyia, stressed that the administration’s guiding philosophy “is a clear shift from consumption to productivity.”

“Enugu State must move from a consumption-driven structure to a productivity-led economy powered by enterprise, technology and a vibrant private sector. Today, we are not merely providing a platform for competition.

“We are architecting systems and institutional frameworks designed to unlock the vast potential of our youth. Our mission is to build a modern economy capable of competing on the global stage,” he stated.

Mbah described the initiative as part of a broader investment in what he termed “intellectual infrastructure.”

“We are redesigning our educational system to produce problem-solvers rather than mere certificate holders. By modernising our curriculum and enabling technology-driven learning, we are preparing our young people for the demands of the future global workplace. This is what we call intellectual infrastructure,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Attackers kill at least 50, abduct women, children in Zamfara

Published

on

Bandits
Spread the love

At least 50 people were killed and several women and children abducted after armed men attacked a village in Nigeria’s northwestern Zamfara state, a state lawmaker told Reuters on Friday.

Hamisu A. Faru, lawmaker representing Bukkuyum south, said the attackers raided Tungan Dutse village from around 5 p.m. on Thursday until about 3:30 a.m. on Friday, burning down buildings and shooting residents who tried to flee.

“They have been moving from one village to another … leaving at least 50 people dead,” Faru told Reuters by phone.

He said the number of abducted victims was yet to be determined.

Traditional leaders and local government officials were still accounting for the missing.

Zamfara state police spokesperson did not respond to calls seeking comment.

Maduka College Advert

Abdullahi Sani, 41, a resident of Tungan Dutse, said three family members were killed in the attack.

“No one slept yesterday, we are all in pain,” he said.

A day earlier, residents contacted security forces and local authority when they saw more than 150 motorcycles carrying armed men. But the warning was ignored, Sani said.

Insecurity is a pressing concern in Nigeria and the government is under mounting pressure to restore stability.
There has been a surge in attacks blamed on “bandits”, who have carried out deadly assaults, abductions for ransom, and displaced communities across northern Nigeria. (Reuters)

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert