Connect with us

News

Alleged Terrorism: Court stops DSS from arresting Emefiele

Published

on

Spread the love

The Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice John Tsoho, has declined an application by the Department of State Services (DSS) to arrest and detain the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr. Godwin Emefiele.

Justice Tsoho, while declining the motion ex-parte filed by an applicant in the absence of the respondent, said the secret police did not provide any concrete evidence to substantiate its claims that Emefiele was involved in terrorism financing and economic crimes.

At the proceeding, the Judge noted that the name of the respondent was given simply as ‘Godwin Emefiele’ without a material disclosure that he is the same person as the CBN Governor.

“In the light of the foregoing reasons, I decline to grant this application ex parte. If the applicant believes that the evidence available to it so far is sufficient, then it can as well arrest and detain the applicant, even without the order of the court. If however the applicant desires to still pursue this application, then it should place the respondent on notice considering the sensitive public office that he occupies,” the judge said.

Justice Tsoho, therefore, refused to entertain the suit until credible evidence is brought before the court as to the reason why the court should grant the request.

Maduka College Advert

The move by the DSS comes after the recent controversial decisions of the CBN to redesign the 200, 500 and 1000 naira notes, as part of the measure to reduce the quantity of cash outside of its control, and discourage certain criminal activities such as kidnapping for ransom.

It also follows its announcement of a new policy limiting cash withdrawals for individuals and corporate bodies.

Both decisions have been viewed by some segments of the society, especially politicians as detrimental to their activities in the run-up to the 2023 general elections.

(ChannelsTv)

News

Why I won’t apologise to Okpebholo — Davido

Published

on

Davido
Spread the love

Afrobeats superstar David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has said he will not apologise to Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo over his decision to share what was presented as the governor’s West African Senior School Certificate Examination result on social media.

Davido made his position clear during an interview with News Central Television, where he spoke about his recent disagreement with the Edo State governor and explained why he stood by his decision to publish the document.

The controversy followed comments attributed to Okpebholo concerning Davido’s uncle, Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke. The Edo governor had criticised Adeleke’s frequent dancing at public events, a comment that drew a response from Davido.

The singer subsequently took the matter further by posting what was presented as Okpebholo’s WASSCE result on his Instagram story. The post quickly attracted attention online, with social media users discussing the growing disagreement between the singer and the governor.

During the interview, Davido was asked whether he regretted making the examination result public and if he was prepared to apologise to Okpebholo. The singer rejected the idea of an apology and maintained that he had no plans to withdraw his action.

Maduka College Advert

Davido explained that his decision was connected to his concerns about governance and the condition of infrastructure in Edo State. He particularly mentioned the road leading to the Edo State Government House, which he criticised during the interview.

According to the singer, his intention was to draw the attention of residents to what he considered important questions about the leadership of the state. He argued that the people of Edo State should be able to assess the performance of their elected officials and make their own judgments.

Davido also appeared to suggest that the issue could become relevant again when the governor seeks another term in office. He said he would return to the matter during the next election campaign, indicating that he intends to keep the criticism alive rather than treat the disagreement as a temporary exchange.

The singer’s comments have added another layer to the political disagreements involving him and prominent Nigerian politicians. Davido has increasingly used his public platform to comment on political issues, particularly when members of his family are directly involved in politics.

His latest remarks show that the disagreement with Okpebholo remains unresolved. While the governor’s earlier comments focused on Adeleke’s public conduct, Davido’s response has shifted attention to questions about the governor’s record and the condition of infrastructure in Edo State.

Davido said, “I am not going to apologize to Monday Okpebholo. I posted his WAEC results for the people of Edo State to see who is governing them.”

He added that the road leading to the Government House would remain an issue and said, “We will visit him when it is time for his re-election.”

Continue Reading

News

Troops foil mass abduction attempt, rescue nine civilians

Published

on

Spread the love

Troops of Joint Task Force North West Operation FANSAN YAMMA (JTF NW OPFY) foiled an attempted mass abduction by terrorists in Unguwar Rogo Village, Kaura Namoda Local Government Area of Zamfara State, rescuing nine civilians, including an infant.

The incident occurred on 16 August 2026, when troops received a distress call that terrorists, believed to be led by suspected kingpin Mallam Shuaibu, had infiltrated the community and attacked civilians travelling along a local route.

Preliminary intelligence indicates that the attack may have been carried out in reprisal for the recent arrest of suspected collaborators linked to the terrorist network. The suspects had earlier been intercepted by troops while attempting to procure motorcycles and Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) in support of the terrorists’ activities.

In an apparent attempt to retaliate and abduct civilians, the terrorists concealed themselves within a millet farm along the route and opened fire on passing vehicles, causing some drivers to lose control and veer off the road.

Responding swiftly to the distress call, troops of Sector 2 moved to the area and decisively engaged the terrorists, denying them the opportunity to carry out the abduction. Faced with the troops’ superior response, the terrorists abandoned their mission and fled into the surrounding forest.

Maduka College Advert

Following the engagement, troops rescued nine civilians, including an infant. Two women who sustained gunshot wounds during the terrorists’ attack were promptly evacuated for medical attention and are currently receiving treatment.

Operation FANSAN YAMMA remains resolute in its determination to deny terrorists and other criminal elements the freedom to attack innocent citizens. The Joint Task Force will continue to sustain pressure on terrorist networks while taking all necessary measures to protect lives and restore lasting peace and security across the North West region.

Continue Reading

News

Edo Assembly Speaker Blessing Agbebaku resigns

Published

on

Edo ex-Speaker Blessing Agbebaku
Spread the love

The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has reportedly stepped down from his position.

His resignation came as reports emerged that some lawmakers were working on plans to impeach him from the speakership.

Agbebaku became Speaker of the 8th Edo State House of Assembly in June 2023 after lawmakers elected him to lead the chamber.

The former Speaker was originally
elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

However, he later moved to the All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2025, joining other political figures who changed parties as political alignments in Edo continued to change.

Maduka College Advert

His reported resignation comes as political activities begin to build ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The development is likely to lead to new discussions among lawmakers and political leaders over who will take over the leadership of the Assembly.

The resignation could also affect the balance of power within the House, especially as lawmakers consider the next person to lead the chamber.

Members of the Assembly are expected to meet and take the necessary steps toward filling the vacant Speaker position.

The reason behind Agbebaku’s decision to leave office has not been made public.

It is also not yet clear whether his resignation is connected to recent political developments within the state or other issues involving the Assembly.

More information is expected to emerge as lawmakers react to the development and begin discussions on the next leadership of the Edo State House of Assembly.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert