Connect with us

News

US deports eight convicted criminals to South Sudan despite citizenship concerns

Published

on

Spread the love

The United States has deported eight individuals—convicted of serious crimes including murder, sexual assault, and robbery—to South Sudan, following a drawn-out legal battle and despite only one of them being a South Sudanese national.

The deportation, carried out this week, comes after weeks of delay. The men, who had either completed or were nearing the end of their prison sentences, were initially flown out in May. However, their flight was diverted to Djibouti after US District Judge Brian Murphy temporarily blocked the deportation, ruling that individuals being sent to third countries must be given notice and an opportunity to speak with asylum officers.

Six of the eight deportees are nationals of Myanmar, Cuba, Vietnam, Laos, and Mexico.

U.S. officials said that their respective home countries had refused to take them back, prompting the decision to deport them to a third country—South Sudan.

The legal standoff ended last week when the US Supreme Court overturned Judge Murphy’s decision, ruling that he could no longer require due process hearings in such deportations. This cleared the way for the removals to proceed. A follow-up appeal to another judge was denied on jurisdictional grounds, and Murphy ultimately acknowledged he had no authority to intervene further.

Maduka College Advert

Photos released by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) showed the eight men shackled at the hands and feet aboard the deportation flight.

It remains unclear whether South Sudanese authorities have detained the men or what their future holds in a country teetering on the brink of civil war.

The US State Department continues to warn against travel to South Sudan, citing rampant crime, kidnapping, and armed conflict.

Tricia McLaughlin, a spokesperson for DHS, described the deportation as a victory against “activist judges” attempting to block the federal government’s immigration enforcement.

The case highlights the Trump administration’s growing use of third-country deportations. Previous removals have been made to El Salvador and Costa Rica, and Rwanda has acknowledged similar discussions.

Media reports have also named Benin, Angola, Equatorial Guinea, Eswatini, and Moldova as potential recipient countries for future deportations.

Earlier this year, Secretary of State Marco Rubio revoked all visas for South Sudanese passport holders, citing the country’s past refusal to accept its deported nationals.

Business

AFRAA welcomes Enugu Air, strengthens Nigeria’s Domestic Aviation growth

Published

on

Enugu Air
Spread the love

The African Airlines Association (AFRAA) has admitted Enugu Air as Member, extending the Association’s membership base in Nigeria’s fast-growing domestic aviation market and reaffirming AFRAA’s commitment to supporting the continued development of African carriers across the continent.

This was announced by AFRAA in Nairobi on Wednesday, making Enugu Air the 50th Member of the association, joining the AFRAA airline fraternity, collectively representing more than 85 per cent of total international traffic carried by African airlines.

Speaking on the occasion, AFRAA Secretary General, Mr. Abdérahmane Berthé, said, “We are delighted to welcome Enugu Air into the AFRAA fraternity.

“As a state-backed carrier serving Nigeria’s rapidly expanding domestic market, Enugu Air represents the kind of homegrown investment that is vital to building resilient air connectivity across our continent.

Maduka College Advert

“We look forward to supporting the airline through the IOSA certification process and to its continued growth within the AFRAA membership, as we work together to advance the cause of unified African skies.”

Reacting to the development, the CEO of Enugu, Capt Tolu Ita, described the admission into AFRAA as a major milestone in the airline’s short history.

“We are honoured to join the AFRAA fraternity. This membership underscores Enugu Air’s commitment to safe, reliable, and affordable air travel for Nigerians while contributing to the vision of a unified African aviation market.

“We look forward to collaborating with fellow AFRAA members and leveraging the association’s support as we grow our network and pursue IOSA certification,” Tolu stated.

Founded on July 7, 2025, Enugu Air commenced commercial operations with a fleet of Embraer E170/E190/E195 aircraft.

The airline, which has its headquarters in Enugu and operates from the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, currently serves nine domestic destinations including Enugu, Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kano and Benin City.

As part of the airline’s growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.

As part of its growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.

The admission of Enugu Air aligns with AFRAA’s strategic priorities and strengthens the voice of the association. Nigeria, as Africa’s most populous nation and one of its fastest-growing economies, remains central to the realization of a truly integrated African aviation market.

Meanwhile, founded in Accra, Ghana, in April 1968, and headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, AFRAA’s mission is to promote, serve African Airlines and champion Africa’s aviation industry.

The association envisions a sustainable, interconnected and affordable air transport industry in Africa, where African airlines become key players and drivers of African economic development.

AFRAA membership cuts across the entire continent and includes all the major intercontinental African operators.

The association’s members represent over 85% of total international traffic carried by African airlines.

Continue Reading

News

Aiyedatiwa appoints 1,004 aides, picks commissioner, three advisers

Published

on

Ondo State Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa
Spread the love

Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has approved a fresh round of appointments involving a commissioner, three Special Advisers and 1,000 other aides.

The appointments comprise 90 Senior Special Assistants and 910 Special Assistants, with the governor saying the move is intended to reinforce his administration and improve its reach across the state.

Erelu Taibat Yemi Oloruntoba, from Akoko North-West Local Government Area, has been nominated as Commissioner for Special Duties. Her nomination has been transmitted to the state House of Assembly for consideration and confirmation.

The governor also appointed Hon. Abimbola Fajolu as Special Adviser on Environment, Chief Ade Adeniyi as Special Adviser on Rural and Community Development, and Mr Muyiwa Ogunyemi as Special Adviser on Transport.

Among those named as Senior Special Assistants are Erelu Toyin Ogungbure, Women Mobilisation (South); Bidemi Obayangbon, Forestry; Gboluge Olufunmi Alex, Community Engagement (South); Hon. Akin Adeniyi, Community Engagement (Central); and Obayan Theophilus Ayodeji, Community Engagement (North).

Maduka College Advert

Others include Kelvin Solomon, Students Affairs; Adeolu Iwakun, Volunteer Services; Samson Job Bazuaye, Oil and Gas; Fade Ojamomi, Youth Empowerment and Job Creation; Sam Adepoju, Public Engagement; and Alhaji Samad Orijeminiyi, Scholarship.

Also appointed are Victor Omodara, Grassroots Mobilisation; Abayomi Adefolalu, Photography; and Alhaji Abdukadiri Adenoyi, Prince Nzuoma Egbulefu and Alhaji Garba Goni, all for Non-Indigenes.

Continue Reading

News

40 feared dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

Published

on

41 feared dead in Zamfara boat accident
Spread the love

About 40 people are suspected to have lost their lives after a boat carrying farmers to their rice farms capsized in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

The incident occurred while the victims were crossing a stream to access their farms.

Most of those on board were reportedly children aged between 10 and 15 years.

An eyewitness said more than 70 people were on the boat when it capsized shortly after taking off.

The village head was among those on board but he was reportedly rescued.

“So far, we have recovered about 40 bodies, while six people, including the village head, were rescued,” a local journalist who was at the scene, Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, told our reporter.

Maduka College Advert

According to him, the victims comprised farm owners and labourers who had been engaged to harvest rice.

“The canoe capsized shortly after take-off. Rescue operations are still ongoing, with local divers searching for those still missing and recovering bodies,” he said. (Daily Trust)

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert