Connect with us

News

Police launch investigation as gunmen kill 18 in Imo

Published

on

Spread the love

The Imo State Police Command has vowed to unravel the circumstances surrounding the killing of no fewer than 18 people in coordinated attacks by gunmen in several communities in Orsu Local Government Area of Imo State.

Reports said that the killings occurred in Umukabia, Eziawa, Ihittenasa, Umuhu, Amaoku, and Amaebe, all communities within Orsu LGA on Sunday.

A former Chairman of the Nigerian Human Rights Commission, Prof Chidi Odinkalu, who hails from Orsu, had drawn attention to the incident via his X-handle on Monday.

Odinkalu tweeted, “Information is coming thro of what appears to have been systematic slaughter last night across several communities in Orsu LGA of Imo State, SE #Nigeria, including in Amaebu, Awo-Idemili, Eziawa, Umuhu-Okabia. Interim casualty count ATM is 23 but it looks like it could be higher.

“For obvious reasons, I am unable to share images from the scenes or of the remains of affected persons on this platform. They are too gory for words. The government at various levels – local, state, federal – does not appear to have noticed nor heard any of this.”

Maduka College Advert

The state Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Henry Okoye, confirmed the incident during a telephone conversation saying an investigation had begun.

Okoye said, “The police are aware of the killings and already CP Aboki Danjuma has set up a high-powered security team involving the different security agencies to unravel the case. The CP appeals to people to remain calm.”

It was learnt that the residents had celebrated their annual Masqueraders’ Day, involving Umuhu, Amaoku, Amaebe, and the other communities, on Sunday, to mark the Yuletide.

After the masqueraders’ show, some holidaying locals who returned for Christmas and New Year decided to go to a drinking joint to have some fun.

However, our correspondent learnt that it was passers-by who discovered that everyone in the shop was lying in the pool of blood with suspected heavy machete wounds on their bodies.

A source who pleaded anonymity said, “Everybody in the joint, all nine people were discovered dead, whether customers or attendants. They had been butchered with deep machete cuts all over.

“We were just a few blocks away from there and nobody heard any sound of gunshot or argument. We suspect that it was members of the Indigenous People of Biafra and Eastern Security Network that are behind this,” he said.

Furthermore, he said three corpses were discovered in Umukabia consisting of family members, five corpses in Eziawa village, and another five corpses in Ihittenasa all with machete cuts that same January 5.

“I can’t explain how these incidents happened and nobody noticed. There were three people in Umukabia, five in Ezinwa, and another five in Ihittenasa villages and nobody saw the killers come in nor when leaving. Orsu lost 18 promising lives in one day.

“We suspect that these killings were done with inside collaboration with Orsu boys who are members of IPOB and ESN members that we don’t know”, the source said.

Orsu had for four years been under the control of the proscribed IPOB and ESN who succeeded in chasing out the locals.

However, the military had sustained a massive onslaught on the groups and successfully recovered some communities which made people to start returning to Orsu gradually including the holidaying victims.

Meanwhile, a police source who pleaded anonymity said the killers were trying to instil fear into Orsu people and make them leave their communities again.
(PUNCH Metro)

News

Enugu ADC chairman allegedly murdered in his village

Published

on

Spread the love

Tension and grief have enveloped the political community in Enugu State following the suspected murder of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) Chairman in Udenu Local Government Area, Chisimdiri Emmanuel Ngwu.

Ngwu, said to be one of the longest-serving members of the ADC in the state, was reportedly found dead in the early hours of Wednesday, August 19, 2026, in circumstances suspected to be suspicious.

A family source, who spoke to our correspondent, said Ngwu left the house shortly after waking up on Wednesday morning but never returned alive.

“He woke up early in the morning on Wednesday and walked out and that was the last we heard of him,” the source said.

According to the source, the family became worried after discovering that Ngwu was missing, before his lifeless body was later found outside the compound.

Maduka College Advert

“When we woke up, we didn’t see him only to discover his lifeless body in front of our compound. We saw scratches on his neck which was twisted backwards,” the source added.

The circumstances surrounding his death have continued to generate concern among family members, friends and political associates.

Meanwhile, two persons have reportedly been arrested in connection with the incident.

However, their identities and the circumstances surrounding their arrest were not immediately disclosed as of press time.

The development has reportedly sent shock waves through the ADC in Udenu and the wider political community in the state, with calls for a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding Ngwu’s death.

Continue Reading

News

2027: Tinubu’ll relocate Nigeria’s capital to Lagos if he wins – Primate Ayodele

Published

on

Primate Elijah Ayodele
Spread the love

Leader of INRI Evangelical Spiritual Church, Primate Elijah Ayodele has claimed that President Bola Tinubu will relocate the capital of Nigeria to Lagos if he is declared the winner of the 2027 general elections.

Primate Ayodele made this statement in a video posted on X.

President Tinubu is seeking re-election under the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC.

Speaking about Tinubu’s re-election, the cleric said, “Lagos architecture will change. You may not see this one very seriously, but if Tinubu wins the second time, the capital of Nigeria will be relocated to Lagos.

“When this happens, the capital can be in Epe or Lekki or anywhere at all in Lagos.”

Maduka College Advert
Continue Reading

News

Police arrest four over alleged murder of 56-year-old man in Anambra

Published

on

Chinese businessmen, Nigerian partners disappear between Onitsha and Aba
Anambra Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga
Spread the love

The Anambra State Police Command has uncovered the circumstances surrounding the alleged murder of a 56-year-old man, Mr Kelechi Madu, in Awkuzu, Oyi Local Government Area, two days after he was reported missing.

The development was disclosed in a statement issued on Friday, August 21, 2026, by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, who said the breakthrough followed a coordinated search and investigation by police operatives, local vigilantes and members of the deceased’s family.

Madu was reported missing by his wife on August 18, after he reportedly left home on the evening of August 17 and failed to return.

According to the Command, the search for the missing man took a grim turn later that day when his wife returned to the police station to report that he had been found dead in a nearby bush at Umuobi, Awkuzu.

Police operatives immediately mobilised to the scene, where they found Madu’s lifeless body with a deep axe wound to his head. His remains were subsequently evacuated and deposited at a hospital mortuary for preservation.

Maduka College Advert

Following the discovery, detectives intensified their investigation and arrested the deceased’s 32-year-old friend, Mr Ifeanyi Nwankwo, who allegedly confessed to being involved in the planning of the killing.

Preliminary findings by the Command indicated that Nwankwo allegedly obtained money from Madu through fraudulent means, claiming he would assist him in acquiring a piece of land.

Police alleged that the suspect subsequently engaged two other persons to eliminate Madu in an attempt to conceal the alleged fraudulent transaction and prevent the victim from recovering the money.

The Command said two other suspects linked to the alleged plot were also arrested, bringing the number of persons apprehended in connection with the case to four.

The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji Ama, psc, mnips, has directed investigators to intensify the probe and identify every person involved in the alleged conspiracy and murder.

The CP vowed that all persons found culpable would be brought to justice.

The Command, through Ikenga, assured residents that it would continue to strengthen intelligence-led policing and community partnerships to prevent violent crimes, uncover criminal networks and ensure that perpetrators face the full weight of the law.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert