Connect with us

News

Mary Habila’s Death: Police insist on investigation as family rejects autopsy, says ‘We suspect no foul play’

Published

on

Spread the love

The Ebonyi State Police Command has insisted on conducting a post-mortem examination into the mysterious death of Mary Habila, a 26-year-old physiotherapist found dead in the Ebonyi State home of the Minister of Works, David Umahi, despite her family’s objections and plans for an immediate burial.

The command said preliminary findings showed that the deceased and a colleague were members of the medical team attached to the minister and had accompanied him to his hometown in Uburu, where she died in a room within the compound of his residence.

Public Relations Officer of the police command, SP Joshua Ukandu, in a statement on Wednesday, said the police had commenced a comprehensive investigation into the incident.

He said detectives had visited the scene and obtained statements from relevant persons, adding that the command would engage the services of a pathologist to conduct a post-mortem examination to determine the cause of death and support the ongoing investigation.

According to the statement, the police received a distress call on June 27, 2026, from the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Ohaozara Division, regarding a medical emergency involving Habila and requesting his presence at the David Umahi Federal Teaching Hospital, Uburu.

Maduka College Advert

“On arrival, the DPO was informed by hospital authorities that Miss Mary Habila had been brought in dead.

“He immediately briefed the Commissioner of Police, who directed that the matter be transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) for thorough investigation,” Ukandu stated.

He added that preliminary findings indicated that the deceased and a colleague were part of the medical team attached to the Minister of Works and had accompanied him to Uburu, where she died.

Ukandu said the family of the deceased had expressed opposition to an autopsy on their daughter, but the command considered the examination necessary due to the circumstances surrounding the case.

“The Command therefore awaits the attendance of the family or their duly appointed representative, as their presence is essential to the conduct of the post-mortem examination,” he said.

The police spokesman assured the public that the investigation would be conducted in a thorough, transparent and impartial manner.

Ukandu added that further updates would be provided as the inquiry progresses.

But while the police insisted on conducting thorough investigation into Habila’s sudden death, her family rejected the move saying it had no suspicion of any foul play in their daughter’s death.

The family has formally filed an affidavit before the High Court of Justice of Ebonyi State, rejecting an autopsy on her body and requesting the discontinuation of further police investigation into the circumstances surrounding her death.

According to the affidavit deposed to by her father, Tanko Habila Wisdom, Mary Habila died on June 27, 2026, in Uburu, Ohaozara Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.

The document states that Habila was a staff member of the David Umahi Federal University of Medical Sciences and had been seconded to the Federal Ministry of Works in Abuja, where she served for about three years.

It further states that she worked as a personal nurse to the Minister of Works and members of his immediate staff, residing at the minister’s official guest house in Abuja and staff quarters in Ebonyi State.

The affidavit also acknowledges that the Minister of Works requested an autopsy to determine the cause of death.

However, the family said it would not consent to the procedure, insisting that it wanted her body and organs left intact in accordance with its wishes.

The family further requested that the investigation be discontinued, that Habila’s body be released for burial, and stated that it would not honour any future invitations from the police or the courts regarding the matter, maintaining that it does not suspect any foul play.

While reiterating that the police release their daughters corpse for burial the father stated that. ” I was never induced, coerced or influenced in any way with anything or by anybody to make these depositions, “as everything deposed here reflect the sincere wishes of my family and I.”

 

News

Gov Mbah hails security forces over arrest of Affa Church kidnappers

Published

on

Spread the love
  • Four AK-47 rifles, ammunition recovered

Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State has commended intelligence and security agencies in the state for nabbing three members of a notorious kidnap gang responsible for the August 2, 2026 attack on St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Inoyi-Affa, in Udi LGA of the state.

A joint operation by the Department of State Services (DSS), the Army, Police, Enugu State Forest Guard, and others, led to a gun battle with the suspected kidnappers.

One suspected member of the kidnapping gang was neutralized, while the security team recovered four AK-47 rifles and a cache of ammunition.

The governor made the commendation on Monday night after visiting the state DSS headquarters to see the arrested suspected kidnappers.

The governor, who was represented by Secretary to the State Government, Prof. Chidiebere Onyia, disclosed that two of the three kidnapped victims of the August 2 attack, Seminarian Lawrence Igbo and Mr. Emmanuel Onwudi, had regained their freedom.

Maduka College Advert

The victims, stated the SSG, had fully identified the apprehended men as their abductors.
On behalf of the governor, the SSG assured the people of Enugu State that the Mbah administration would continue to prioritise and invest in the security of their lives and properties.

“There was one fatality in this process. It was one of the criminals that died in the process of apprehending them. Usually, criminal elements will not want to be apprehended easily without a fight, but our people were ready, and we have one fatality, while the others are here now as you can see; and they will face the full wrath of the law,” he declared.

“We made it very clear that if criminality becomes your venture, Enugu State is not the location to do that business; that we will pursue you, we will make sure we bring you to justice, and that was why we put the robust security architecture across the state, working in collaboration with the security forces to ensure that Enugu is uncomfortable for anybody that plans criminality, and you’re seeing that very clearly.

“We are intentional in investing in and organising our security architecture to prevent crime. But if there is a breach, you can run, but cannot hide for long. We must get you. You can’t commit these crimes in Enugu State and get away with it. No way,” he said.

He warned citizens against colluding with criminal elements or serve as their informants, vowing to come after them.

“We will find you also, just as we have found these people, and we will prosecute you as part of this evil operation and this evil syndicate.

“Wherever you are, know that investigation is ongoing and that this government will track you down, and you will pay for your crimes in planning havoc on our citizens. So wherever you are, we are still coming for you,” he stressed.

He showered encomium on the security forces for their cooperation and gallantry.

“We also want to very highly commend all the security agencies: the DSS, Nigerian Army, the Nigerian Police, the Enugu State Forest Guard, the military services, others for being very instrumental in some of the work that was done, and continue to do in Enugu State,” the SSG declared.

Continue Reading

News

Enugu Church Kidnap: Seminarian, other victims rescued, three kidnappers arrested, one killed

Published

on

Three kidnappers arrested
Spread the love

…Ransoms, 4 AK-47 rifles and ammunition recovered

…Gov Mbah: You can’t get away with your crimes in Enugu

Security forces in Enugu State have successfully apprehended three perpetrators of the August 2, 2026 kidnap attack on St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Inoyi-Affa, Udi LGA, Enugu State, and also recovered ransoms during the operations.

This was even as one of the kidnap suspects was neutralised in a gun duel during the joint operation of the Department of State Services (DSS), the Army, Police, Enugu State Forest Guard, and others, which also saw to the recovery of four AK-47 rifles, seven magazines and 133 rounds of ammunition from the hideouts of the kidnapping syndicate.

Fielding questions from newsmen during the parade of the criminals at the state headquarters of the DSS in Enugu Monday evening, Governor Peter Mbah, who was represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Prof. Chidiebere Onyia, added that the remaining two of the three victims of the August 2 attack, Seminarian Lawrence Igbo and Mr. Emmanuel Onwudi, had also regained their freedom.

Ransom recovered from the kidnappers

Mbah also revealed that ransom deployed as a strategy was fully recovered, noting that security agents tracked down the criminals by deploying the state’s hi-tech security assets.

Maduka College Advert

He hailed the DSS, Army, Police, Forest Guards and other security agencies in the state, adding that the victims had equally identified the apprehended criminals as their abductors.

The governor assured the people that his administration would continue to prioritise and invest in the security of their lives and properties.

A member of the kidnap gang neutralized

“There was one fatality in this process. It was one of the criminals that died in the process of apprehending them. Usually, criminal elements will not want to be apprehended easily without a fight, but our people were ready, and we have one fatality, while the others are here now as you could see; and they will face the full wrath of the law.

“We made it very clear that if criminality becomes your venture, Enugu State is not the location to do that business; that we will pursue you, we will make sure we bring you to justice, and that was why we put the robust security architecture across the state, working in collaboration with the security forces to ensure that Enugu is uncomfortable for anybody that plans criminality, and you’re seeing that very clearly.

“We are intentional in investing in and organising our security architecture to prevent crime. But if there is a breach, you can run, but cannot hide for long. We must get you. You can’t commit these crimes in Enugu State and get away with it. No way,” he said.

He also warned locals who collude with the criminal elements or serve as their informants, vowing to come after them also.

“We will find you also, just as we have found these people, and we will prosecute you as part of this evil operation and this evil syndicate.

“Wherever you are, know that investigation is ongoing and that this government will track you down, and you will pay for your crimes in planning havoc on our citizens. So wherever you are, we are still coming for you,” he stressed.

He paid special tributes to the security forces for their cooperation and gallantry.

“We also want to very highly commend all the security agencies: the DSS, Nigerian Army, the Nigerian Police, the Enugu State Forest Guard, the military services, others for being very instrumental in some of the work that was done, and continue to do in Enugu State,” he concluded.

Continue Reading

News

Widespread Traffic Violations: Enugu CP orders strict enforcement of traffic laws, arrest and prosecution of offenders

Published

on

Spread the love

The Commissioner of Police, Enugu State Command, CP Mamman Bitrus Giwa, has directed the immediate enforcement of all existing traffic laws and regulations across the State following what he described as the rampant disregard for traffic regulations by motorists.

The CP said the development has resulted in avoidable gridlock, disruption of traffic flow, road crashes, loss of lives and destruction of property.

The directive, according to the state police spokesman, SP Daniel Ndukwe, ‘is in line with the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu, psc (+), NPM, directive on the nationwide enforcement of traffic laws to restore order on Nigerian roads and safeguard lives and property.

“Accordingly, the Commissioner of Police has tasked the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Operations, the Command’s Legal Officer and the State Traffic Officer to ensure the professional enforcement of the directive through the arrest and prosecution of offenders in accordance with extant laws and regulations.”

He, however, cautioned officers against any infringement on the rights and dignity of citizens while carrying out the enforcement.

Maduka College Advert

CP Giwa urges all motorists, including police officers and other security personnel, to familiarise themselves with and strictly obey traffic laws to avoid arrest and prosecution.

He emphasized hat strict compliance with traffic regulations remained essential to reducing congestion, preventing road crashes, and ensuring the free flow of traffic across the State.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert